Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: RTW MP Campaign - The game has begun!

Thumbs down RTW MP Campaign - The game has begun!

Myddraal's Multiplayer Campaign Mod
    Yesterday September 27, 2005, 7-9 PM GMT-5 was one of the most momentous moments of my life.

No I did not get Barbarian Invasion, and probably won’t for more than a few weeks. No I did not win the lottery, what I did get was an MSN message from Myddraal, my personal god of modding. He was there to ask me to test the latest version of his multiplayer campaign mod with him. This fateful day, I had some free time. After a few mishaps in file transferring, I finally have the mod loaded in my computer with Rome: Total War copied to a fresh directory.

After a few quibbles, the mod was installed and the game loaded. At this time, I find out that Myddraal has misplaced his Rome: Total War CD. I was frustrated but relieved when Myddraal suggested that I play against myself. With the mod installed, I booted up the game and started as Julii as per instructions. I made a move and saved the game. I loaded the game up, and oh my god, I start as the Brutii. The Julii made the exact same move I did! With this excitement, I quickly loaded my Brutii troops into my boat, landed across the strait onto the Illyrian coast. Then I moved the boat under the heel of Italy next to the starting city.

Next load, as Scipii, the boat is under the heel of Italy right where I put it and everything else was the same as I did.

I was ecstatic. Imagine the possibilities, imagine the potential. The Generals Collective will definitely be on the front line of hosting the first MP Campaigns.

I asked Myddraal afterwards about donations for the Modding God. He declined any monetary donations, stating that the best help would be for him to get a few extra modders for his mod, WoT, or Wheel of Time: Total War.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=99

I am going to do something that I haven’t done for a long time, use caps to scream my message:

MODDERS PLEASE HELP MYDDRAAL WITH WHEEL OF TIME. This man is a GOD and deserves all the help he can get.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=99

Click hereto view the article on the technical details and installation instructions:
    http://www.generalscollective.com/in...d=20&Itemid=59

Update by Myrddraal
    We have two games about to start, one in-clan game, and one game organised here at the .org:

Our final list Myrddraal could you put this on the first post
    (Rome) The Stranger
    (Gaul) LordRiaden
    (Briton) Craterus
    (Germen) littleganon
    (Dicia) KashmirKing
    (Thrace) Shifty
    (Spain) Fuwes
    (Scythia) Predator
    (Poutus) Destroyer of Hope
    (Greek city states) Hellenes
    (Macedon) King Malcom
    (Secluded Empire) SilverRusher
    (Egypt) kingwill
    (Cathrage) Ignoramus
    (Numida) Tedward
    (Parthia) Heinreich 5
    (Armarania(sp?) menender

If you want to start another game, just gather the players!
    Last edited by Myrddraal; 11-05-2005 at 21:35.

Default Re: RTW Multiplayer Campaign

I am very excited by this news. Giddy even. Please keep us updated on this mods development. If you need additional beta testers, let me know. Great work Myddraal!

Booya!
    This is my world
    And I am
    World leader pretend

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

What I could do with, would be some people who could help out with an internet exchange system for the files. Freak Of Nature has already started, so you wouldn't have to work from scratch, but I think he may be too busy to finish the job...

If Myrddraal has gotten a multiplayer campaign mod to half-way work, I declare him a hero of the people.

COME ON PEOPLE!!!

You know I'm not just talking out my arse... somebody must be able to help me finish this....................

Master of Puppets Member hellenes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    COME ON PEOPLE!!!

You know I'm not just talking out my arse... somebody must be able to help me finish this....................
    Sorry but my programming and network skills are close to zero although i wish that i could help you...
    Mp campaign is my dream since 2002 when i got mtw...

Hellenes
    Impunity is an open wound in the human soul.

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

Well..General Sun said it was working fine though.
    Are you guys still working on it or something...

The mod itself works fine, but we're talking about programming in an anti-cheat system among other things.

oh okay thanks

Quote Originally Posted by General_Sun
    The mod itself works fine, but we're talking about programming in an anti-cheat system among other things.
    Well if we can play through email with some HONOURABLE people that wouldnt cheat can you release it?
    Also an idea: To transfer the campaigmap battles to MP battles and reversed the historical battles could be used to simulate 100% that since you can customize freely the historical battles, also the "spawn armies could be used to put the result of the mp battles back in the campaign...

Hellenes

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

hellenes, thats exactly what I'm working on for the next release...

Insanity perhaps is inevitable Member shifty157's Avatar

Does every faction need to be played by a human player or can some factions still be played by the AI?

Awesome work btw. I absolutely cant wait for this to be released. Im sorry i would help but i dont know anything about this kind of stuff.
    Last edited by shifty157; 10-13-2005 at 17:53.

It is theoretically possible to have AI factions, but I think it may be quite buggy. I suggest having one human per player if possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    hellenes, thats exactly what I'm working on for the next release...
    Will you release the MP mode without the anti cheat program for lan play or through email with friends?
    And I wish I could help you to make the game 100% multiplayer...

Hellenes

OK. This is an open offer: if you can gather a group of people (1 per faction) who you can trust, I will set up a MP game for you.

There can be more than one game if you like. Spread the news to the MP community, I'm not up to posting around right now. Please post here with the list of users who will play and which faction they want. Thanks.

I'm a bit dissapointed that it turned out this way. I really really wanted to release a finished product, but it seems that cannot be.

PS, have edited name of thread for info....

If your trying to organise a game i will play as pontus
    E mail Gopackers13@hotmail.com
    i play 1.3
    perfered mods RTR
    Last edited by Lord Winter; 10-16-2005 at 20:44.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Default Re: RTW MP Campaign - Play Now!

Im in as the Greek cities...
    Also shouldnt the game be a bit tweaked for some small balancing?
    Like the Egyptian issue? But for a start the vanilla 1.3 will do...
    My email is arxidamos2003@yahoo.gr

Hellenes

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

i want to play julii email to umeu_1@hotmail.com
    my version is 1.2 i prefer playing RTR or EB

Not important

and i play my own modded version...that is the EB Beta version with segments of RTR in it...i scrambled my version up with so many different mods...but i'll install a clean version for whatever we play
    Last edited by The Stranger; 10-16-2005 at 19:47.

We do not sow.

Spindly Killer Fish Member ShellShock's Avatar

So how much programming are we talking about here? If it is not too much I may be able to help.

Will this be in VC++? What are you using for the comms?
    He does sit in gold, his eye red as 'twould burn Rome.

OK, Shifty PMd me with these questions, but as they are good questions, everyone should know the answers:

Quote Originally Posted by shifty
    Most importantly how are battles handled? Im assuming theyre autoresolve only. Which is fine. It makes things go quicker. Although thinking of the AI handling my armies is a bit unsavory.

diplomacy? Perhaps diplomacy is entirely up to the players or can diplomacy actually be done in game? Diplomacy is a huge deal for me when playing with other people.

Which version of rtw are you using?

How exactly do you set up a game? Do you need a special program aside from the script? Do you need to manually email files? etc.
    Battles for the time being should be autoresolved. I'm hoping to include playable battles in a future release. This should be quite difficult, so don't expect it soon.

At the moment diplomacy isn't really included directly in the game. If you try to make a diplomatic offer with someone then the AI will answer for them. I strongly suggest banning the use of diplomats except for bribery and trade rights.

I tested on a 1.2 RTW install, though in theory the game should work fine so long as everyone is using the same version and mod NB: Could you all include in your posts here, not only you faction, but also the version you play, and a preference list of mods.

e.g I want to play Julii, my email is dont@mail.me, I play V1.2.
    In order of preference my mods are:
    Chiv TW
    RTR

Thank you.

This last part cuts me a bit. I had hoped to release this project as a final version. This would have included a download-able program which would prevent cheating and automate the file exchange. This it seems may take me a while longer. If I can release that program before you people gather a team, then I'll be really happy.

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

The team appears to be gathering...

vanilla v 1.2 but could be swiftly updated if need be...
    email is malcolm_sh@hotmail.co.uk
    macedon or carthage
    Last edited by Duke Malcolm; 11-07-2005 at 20:06.
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

edited my post for necessary info
    Last edited by Lord Winter; 10-16-2005 at 20:52.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Well I would try to program this but I'm really occupied at the moment with 3 projects as well as the semester start :(
    Really looking forward to the thing, though.

P.S.: If you send me the current work done I can see how much time it would take to alter this so much that it works, and if it would only take some 10 hours or so I might be able to push it in somewhere... Might take a week or two, though.

Whatever mod/version should be decided first. This makes a huge difference in the factions available as well as the general strategic climate. RTR for example includes Bactria as a faction. As well RTR is much more difficult to expand etc. So i think the version should be decided first.

After the verison is decided i think that factions should be handed out randomly to avoid any kind of resentment from people not being able to get their favorite faction while everyone else did. Also this prevents people who have completely specialized in a particular faction and know exactly what moves to make from overwhelming those of us who havent played in a bit. I myself have not played extensively in several months. Frankly i just think random factions would be more fair and more interesting.

And with id just like to say that im definitly in.

email shifty@verizon.net
    i dont have any mods installed at the moment although rtr is nice.
    as for faction if we play rtr then ill take bactria. otherwise id like Carthage.

Another question though. What about rebels? How are they handled?

Also i think that diplomats in game should be banned. Diplomacy through email should be completely allowed.
    Last edited by shifty157; 10-17-2005 at 20:12.

Also i think that diplomats in game should be banned. Diplomacy through email should be completely allowed

What about the trade rights?
    -Stephen Crane

rebels and the senate are handled by the AI

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

i think we should play 1.2 vanilla

We do not sow.

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Excellent Idea
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger
    i think we should play 1.2 vanilla
    I agree. Let's keep it simple the first time.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast