Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple authors story - write one paragraph each

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Default Multiple authors story - write one paragraph each

I don't know if this is for the frontroom or for mead hall, sorry if it's in the wrong place. I know there's the "one word story" thread in the frontroom, but I think this is a very different concept though, a more serious attempt at making a story - if you write an entire paragraph rather than a single word it's easier to get it to make more sense and keep the context etc. It's supposed to be like a mead hall story but with the extra flavor of having different authors to get a more varied language and it's also IMO fun to see if we can tie together the story in a way that makes sense. Plus I think it's a good way for people with too little time to be able to write an entire story alone to still be able to write something...

Here are the suggested rules:
    - when posting a paragraph, put the number of the paragraph first. The number should be the number of the paragraph above plus one. If two post a paragraph with the same number at the same time, the first one posted will be part of the story and the other ignored. This rule is to ensure it doesn't get messed up if two post at the same time
    - try to take it seriously and when writing a paragraph try to make it a plausible continuation of the previous paragraphs
    - feel free to start a new chapter when you think it's appropriate
    - IMPORTANT CLARIFICATION: you can contribute with more than 1 paragraph to the entire story, it's just that you aren't supposed to write two or more paragraphs in a row (the "write one paragraph each" title might have confused some...)

======================================

CHAPTER 1

The snowfall was getting more intense every minute. It was now difficult to see more than a few meters ahead, and it was impossible to tell if they were still walking on the road, or if they were heading further away from the civilization and would end up lost somewhere on the unforgiveable steppes. If they got lost out there in this cold, with so few supplies left, nothing but death could be expected. As if they sensed the tension of the men, the horses let out a miserable neighing, but the sound was torn into shreds by the heavy wind.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 03-02-2006 at 13:36.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Re: Multiple authors story - write one paragraph each

CHAPTER 1

The snowfall was getting more intense every minute. It was now difficult to see more than a few meters ahead, and it was impossible to tell if they were still walking on the road, or if they were heading further away from the civilization and would end up lost somewhere on the unforgiveable steppes. If they got lost out there in this cold, with so few supplies left, nothing but death could be expected. As if they sensed the tension of the men, the horses let out a miserable neighing, but the sound was torn into shreds by the heavy wind.
    One more time I asked myself what I was doing here. Was it a caprice of destiny? Or a cheap trick of some unfriendly god? Did he decide to throw me into this hell to gloat over my pain? Or was my odyssey part of a twisted and mysterious plan? I shook my head. I had thought about it repeatedly but I never found an answer.

Not much was left of the footwear by now. I could vaguely feel the remnants of it scrape my already sore, soaked feet. As I looked forward I dogmatically hoped it was only a dream, a nightmare. Soon I would wake up at home, sitting by the fire, having gone dozy in it's pleasant heat. I smiled at the thought. Would I ever have realized how wonderful that fire could be if I hadn't been here? On the other hand, it struck me, would I have needed such wonderful things if there hadn't been such pain that needed to be compensated? I was awaken from my thoughts by a distant light, that penetrated the whirling snow. It flickered once, then disappeared. I wondered if it had been a hallucination, or if it really was a sign of other human beings. I was thankful that the captains were already leading us in it's direction - my cheekbones were aching too much from the cold for me to be able to tell them about what I had seen. If it had been a real light, then we would soon all see it.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 03-02-2006 at 16:42.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

The winds increased once more, the snowflakes striking like razors. The breathing got heavier and the walking got slower.
    The column of men and animals streching both back and ahead, all staggering forward as if some sort of automatons. All the faces sagging and the eyes near dead.
    From behind a yell was followed by the sounds of thundering hoofs... "No... not again..." was the wearied thought that blanketed my mind.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ok, why not?

I thought about the stupid repetition of the same movements over and over. The futility of the operation, evident more than ever in that particular moment: kill to stay alive. A ritual men have been performing through the ages and the generations without it never becoming obsolete. I knew there was no choice. In the place I occupied in the universe, this was my duty. And there was no point asking yourself why.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

The thundering sound of hooves drew closer, I readied my weapon in preparation for what was to come. Parts of the column had already reacted by halting, forming smaller line segments facing the incoming cavalry, while others had still not heard the sounds. Luckily enough, the incoming cavalrymen turned out to be our own, which meant we hadn't been taken completely by surprise, caught in disarray. However, there were stains of blood on their shirts, the men were barely conscious, many of them in strange distorted poses, heads and chest resting on the necks of their horses, barely keeping them on the horseback. I suspected some of them must be dead, their horses having simply followed the other horses when their masters had died, and they had no longer received any orders. "They're coming! They're coming!" yelled one of the few cavalrymen who hadn't got any blood on his shirt, and still seemed alert despite the long march. He was pointing in the direction he had come from. In the distance, I heard one of the captains calling for the cavalryman. It sounded as if he was asking about the strength of the enemy, but the wind kept me from hearing the details. I carefully patted the tip of my weapon, touched it's simple, yet lethal, principle in my, by the cold almost petrified, hands. And then the thundering sound of hooves began once again, but this time it was a hundred times more powerful than last time. This time it was the enemy coming. I felt my pulse quickening, my petrified hands awakening and grasping the weapon firmer than was my intention. The ground was shaking, literally. This enemy is far beyond our capabilities I thought. It was the last thing I remember thinking before my instincts took control over me, mechanically making me react to the orders, preparing to kill to survive. And then I saw the first black silhouettes of cavalrymen.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 03-02-2006 at 21:03.
    Under construction...

Dread... Utter dread! And at the same time the coldness broguht nothing but carelessness. If the situation hadn't been so serious I would likely have wondered at it, but now was not the time.
    I slung the tall kiteshield to my front, gripping the leatherstraps tightly, making sure it fit snugly. But no matter how long I would have worked on it, it was still half destroyed, the boards open to the elements from many cuts to the lining leather, the point cut off and a large cut into the upper edge where a sword had been stuck.
    I grapped my spear, my trusty spear, tighter, at least it was still in one piece. It would become important once more.
    I ran towards the raggard line of soldiers forming up to recieve the horsemen. I just hoped I would reach them before the first horsmen flowed around them, wouldn't do good to be caught alone...

Blog Entries

"Someone bring a light!" crossed my head as I felt the shoulder of a comrade in the snow. I couldn't see. Instinctively I turned in the same direction as everyone else. Still no charge. We waited. I saw an officer's helmet very close, the horses' hair at the top blowing into my face. Then I heard a whipping sound, blood splattered my face and the hair was gone. "Arrows!" I shouted I knelt behind the shield.

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

For so long we had put up with the bitter cold, wanting nothing more than heat. Some of the men got what they desired in that initial volley as warm blood spread across their freezing bodies. I doubt they saw the irony, at the time neither did I. Another volley struck down on our pathetic line of spears before the clapping of hooves could be heard again. The enemy was attempting a direct cavalry charge on our position. Under normal conditions this would seem tactically unsound, but we were desperate men and if we even managed to hold until the first sight of the mounted warriors we all would be impressed with our own bravery. Already, the men on the rear and flank were turning tail and running, it was too bad I hadn’t been fortunate enough to be back there; I was caught in the middle and wouldn’t be able to retreat, at least not until the rest of our unit fell apart and abandoned the army.
    Last edited by Zomby_Woof; 03-03-2006 at 01:34.

Blog Entries

Ok, last one for today.

Another volley reached us before the horses emerged out of the snowstorm just a few feet away, crashing into the disorganised first line, killing and retreating as soon as the formation closed on them. Then another volley, and a charge from a different direction. The formation melted away so quickly, I knew we had at most one or two charges left. I was right. The next charge was the end of us. The men just ran. Dissapeared. Melted into the snowstorm. I ran too, dropping the shield and the spear. Then I felt a rope tighten around my torso and pulling me back violently. The air was was missing. I hit the ground. Then I fell unconscious.

I think this is a good place to start chapter 2...

Chapter two

Coldness, there was coldness as i had never know before. After all this time in the steps I was still not used to the bitter cold that bit at my bones long night after night. But my suffering had all been for no use. I had failed, I was ashamed. I had left what few brave comrades that had still stood to face the charge. Betraying there trust i had ran, with little thought of the enemy, little thought of my allies. All there was at that moment was my own selfish pride. My own desire to survive. I deserved to die, and i know that i would if i ever returned.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Chapter Two

Paragraph two.

I had let my mind wander down into the depths of despair, all around was blackness. And Death. Behind came the screams and shouts of battle, those sound were so familiar yet still so blood curdling. I knew that my comrades, the brave ones must all be dead and that I must soon join them. Yet I could not will my legs to stop and so I just kept on running. Ahead I saw them, another pack of pikemen, but this time they were more and had been ordered into a square. I knew that I must reach them. Behind came the sound of hooves. The square seemed so far away.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

The image of what had happened now started to become more clear. I had only been unconscious for a short period of time. The line that had been formed to take on the enemy charge had only been a fraction of our army. The formation had been destroyed, and I was lucky to be alive - having not been trampled by the hooves of the enemy cavalry. I tried to make my way through the snow towards the others, but the snow was deeper here, and my progress was slow. And then I saw the light again. This time there were no doubts as to what it came from. From a distance, I saw the light draw closer to the formation ahead, and another row of horsemen appeared. They approached so rapidly that the men had no chance of preparing themselves for the charge. I heard the sounds of broken lances and metal towards metal, but it was soon drowned in the sounds of pain of dying infantrymen. Then the line of cavalry that had swept away my own formation crashed into the pinned formation from the other direction. Turning away from the battle, I realized that I had failed them all. Had I reported about the light, the men would have been able to prepare themselves. Had I not fled from the first line they might have been able to hold the first charge too. And so I realized I wouldn't be able to return home until my honor had been restored. Trying to sneak away from the enemy through the snow storm - it was a lot easier than I thought as denser and denser fog drifted in from the west - I prepared myself for this oddyssey. I dropped the remnants of my shield but grasped the sword more firmly. I would not return home until my honor had been restored.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 03-03-2006 at 09:30.
    Under construction...

For a few seconds I stood there in the snow, daring any rider to come at me. I yelled at them, but somehow my voice was restrained, I couldn't get a sound across my lips. I tried several times but my voice failed me completely. Naturally my left hand wandered up to my throat. It was sore, very sore. Apparently the rope that had caught me had slipped up to my throat and constricted there after I had fallen unconcious. It was wierd, I had been caught but was still free, someone had apparently set me free while I was lying there knocked out.
    The battle was winding down, and given my exposed position, I began to move towards the edge of a forest a hundred paces away. Hopefully, in there, I would be able to ambush a rider or two before I got struck down. Honour would then return to me, if only marginally.

As i entered the forest, the sounds of the battle had stopped. I knew that the enemy raiders would soon spot my trail in the snow, but in the forest tracking me would be lot harder, becouse this was my natural enviroment. As i walked in the snow covered forest,the only sound was the sound of my feet in the snow.
    Suddenly when i passed a thick bush of little trees,there it was. A horse looking straight to me on its big eyes. While the weather was frozen i saw that its sides were covered in swet.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

I inspected the clasps and saddle and found that it must be the horse of a fallen enemy. I smiled when I realized how I could perhaps later use that to my advantage. But the first thing to do now was to get away from this mess. Find something to eat. While I needed the horse to transport my tired body to the nearest village, I realized I had to consider slaughtering it to eat it if I ended up lost too far out on the endless fields. With these thoughts going on in the back of my head, I felt guilt when I smiled at the horse, trying to look friendly in order not to scare it away when I approached it.
    Under construction...

I tried to get on the horse, but in fact I was too weak. My mind was determined to stand but my body was tired. I passed out once more. Once I woke up, a new day had broken. I looked around, but all I could see were a couple of other soldiers, lost and desperate creatures like me. There was no strength, no order, no hope and no pride. We were no army anymore. Then there was the sound of horses again. Despite my resolutions my first thought was to get away, to hide, and to crawl into the snow. Then I realized that it wasn’t the sound of a cavalry charge. I turned and in the rising sun I saw a couple of riders. They stopped some hundred yards in front of me, a small officer in front of them. Although I could not see the faces I knew the outline. It was our commander.
    At the moment the defeated creatures raised, tried to adopt attitude and build a formation. I saw comrades from different units, most of them had lost their weapons and equipment, the uniforms were wrecked and many were wounded. At the same time, however, I realized that we were still the army, the great army. Maybe we were defeated, maybe we did not look like an army any more, but we were still there and we would not give up. Maybe we would all die, but we would not loose our pride. I tried to scream and I was highly surprised to here me cry: “Hail our general! Hail our glorious army!” The others joined and we were jubilating, too, just as if we had won a battle. I saw the general smile. Then he turned and rode away. However, I will never forget that smile. I knew that smile was worth all the pain we had had to stand. That smile would make us fight again.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    You are fast, my friends!
    Last edited by Franconicus; 03-03-2006 at 13:34.

It's coming together nicely
    ===

So there we were, only some fifty men who had survived the slaughter. We had apparently gotten far away enough from the actual battle to be able to evade being captured by the enemy. In yesterday's weather it had been difficult to spot us. Now however, we would be in danger if we stayed in the open. The heavy wind would no longer erase our footprints. I turned towards our general.
    "We are lucky to still be alive. But what are we going to do now?"
    "We shall go south. We slaugthered two injured horses during the night, but our supplies still won't be enough for more than a few days."
    "South?" I heard myself asking with contempt. Then I immediately regretted it. Going south was the only sensible thing to do, or we too would die like our friends. It was my guilt that had made me ask the question. But I realized I was the only one who knew how I had dishonored myself in that battle, how I had failed my friends. Then I realized that perhaps also the men around me now were as much cowards as me, the few who had fled early enough to evade capture or death. One of the men on my side gave me some horse meat which I attacked greedily with my swollen, soary mouth while we began the march south.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 03-03-2006 at 17:18.
    Under construction...

We reached a frozen river and the general ordered to stop. We could rest for some minutes but were not allowed to light a fire. Before we started again the general said to us: "Soldiers, hard times are behind us and hard times ahead. But I promise you that in the end our glorious army will win again. I aready sent the rest of our cavalry south. They warn our southern amry. Right now they may be already on the way north. So kepp on holding on. Just one or two days and we will be back in the arms of our main army."
    Then he took me aside and said: "I have a special task for you. You seem to be the bravest and I rely on you. You will have to leave us. Go north, the Tartars will surely find you. Tell them that you are a renegade. Tell them that our army is completly defeated. That the southern army won't dare to move north. That the path to the province capitol is open. Tell them about the treasure lying ther. Make them move to Aquincum. There we will take revenge!"
    Then he turned away. I had to see my commrades march on the ice of the frozen river, trying to hide their traces. I waited until they disapeared - until I was complety alone!

Not until they had gone did I realize they hadn't given me any food supplies. The only thing I had now was my sword. My sword and my mission. Was it a deliberate measure to be sure of my loyalty? To be sure that I did what I was told and not turned south again at the first chance I was given? I shuddered and felt that I was sweating. No, I was the only one who knew what I had done in that battle. The one question I should concentrate on now was how I would arrange my meeting with the tatars in a way that wouldn't arise their suspicion? Should I seek them actively, or should I go to the place that they'd most likely be heading for next, and wait for them to come to me? I didn't want to look too eager, or they would not trust my advice. And I didn't want to look like I was taken by surprise and captured by them - then they'd take my words for the desperate attempts of a captive to save his friends. No, something in between was necessary.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 03-06-2006 at 09:27.
    Under construction...

Chapter 3: Howling with the wolves

It started to snow and soon the footprint of my commrades was gone. I looked around. Along the river there was a band of wood, the rest was empty plane. And snow, snow everywhere.

I was alone; in the middle of this endless solitude. No move, not even a sound. I started to run; as fast as possible. I did not care about the direction. Endlessness has no directions. I kept on running through the snow. The snow was deep. It reached my hip, when I tried to push through. I run - until I finally fell down on my knees. I turned around and saw the river. I had only managed to run some hundred yards.

Then I heard a sound. First I did not realize it was there. However, it repeated and when I realized it my blood began to freeze. Wolves! I had thought how to find the Tartars and what to do then. I had even thought about running away, trying to hide from then. Now I realized that I was lost if I could not find them. Lost; and nobody would ever know what happaned to me. Nobody would ever care.

I forced my frozen feets to continue moving through the snow.The howling continued,but it didnt come closer.It struck me, the wolwes didnt have to run for their pray tonight. They were feasting on the carcasses of my friends and countrymen.
    I walked for hours in the frozen wind towards a goal that was uncertain for me.Why didnt my friends give me a horse? A single man on frozen steppe. My chances of surviving this mission were starting to feel less then possible.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Then I saw them. They came out of the copse. They sat on small horses, therfore I thought they might not be wolves. However, they had no similarity to men, too. They looked like a composition of beasts and demans.

They did not attack; they did not even come straight to me. They came slowly, scenting, leery and yet curious. I was so scared that I could not move. They came closer, so close that I could smell the disgusting odor of these spawns of darkness.

From the corner of my eye I saw one of the creatures raise a club. Then it was dark.

" Good morning stranger". I was not anymore in the frozen steppe,but in a warm tent, but clearly as a prisoner not a guest. In front of me was a big creature who sayed those words, that woke me up. This man was bigger then the ones who captured me. He weared the same clothes as the others but his stature showed him to be a man of high position. His fore head was bold but in the back of his head he had a long hair that reached his shoulders his eyes were more yellow then brown.In fact he reminded like a big cat moving around me soft and smiling at me while his eyes told there was no warm feelings behind his smile.

"My men found you at the steppe, walking around. Where is your bow and horse? Why are you walking these plains with a sword? You cant hunt anything with sword. Or have you come here to fight us and die like the other fools that have tryed that before you? Speak man, becouse i have no warm feelings for my enemies. I rather burn them and give their ashes to the God of Wind."
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 03-06-2006 at 12:06.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

I stared at the creature, unable to understand his words or to answer him. Then another face came into reach: "You better answer, young friend, or you will not have no second chance."

I knew the face, that was smiling at me. It was unlike the face of the beast. It looked human. However, the person was probably worse than the tartars. It was Claudius, the traitor.

I knew Claudius was aware of the fact that I wasn't a renegade. Claudius had seen my loyalty proven on various earlier occasions, before he had changed sides. I felt panic striking me. I needed to get rid of Claudius in some way, otherwise there would be no chance convincing the tatars. Then I remembered I hadn't shaven in a week, and that my face must still be dirty. Maybe he wouldn't realize who I was, at least not immediately. When I replied I tried to distort my voice.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 03-06-2006 at 12:05.
    Under construction...

Instead of talking latin to these men.I decided to talk my own Northern dialect.I told them who i was that i fought with the Romans against them, but lied that i had no love for the Romans.
    The big creature stared me right in to my eyes with an expression that i couldnt figure out.At the same time he looked intrested but also savage, like he was thinking wheather or not to eat me.After i finished he spoke few words i could not understand:
    " This man doesnt speak the language of the Romans, i think he is from the people of the forest. Bring in slave Theodavacar. I think he understands what this man is trying to say to us".
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 03-06-2006 at 12:40.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

This gave me some more time to think through what to say. First I needed them to trust me to be a traitor. In order for that to work I must tell them something that they could verify was true. Something that didn't hurt too many of my own, but at least seemed important enough to show I was ready to let down my own. Not until then would I be able to convince them that Aquincum was the best place to strike next. I didn't have time to think any further before I heard the footsteps. Theodavacar, whoever he might be, was coming.
    Under construction...

Claudius, however, said: "He is not worth the trouble!"
    He took a torch and held it in front of my face: "And by the way, he knows Latin as much as I do, aren't you, Herulius?"
    A wave of anger went through my veins. Yes, he recognized me. He, the traitor, would make me die too. Maybe I had been a coward, who left his comrades in battle. He, however, was a betrayer, he was the one to blame for their lives.

"You are right, Claudius!"
    "So, my friend Herulius, why did you stand all alone in the wilderness? Why did you leave the glorious army?"
    "I was dispersed."
    "Dispersed? Didn't your general take care of you? Maybe he is dispersed too? Maybe he is even dead?"
    "Dead? He is alive! He will return to tear out your lying heart!"
    "Then why does he run away. By the way, I do not believe a word you're saying. There are no Roman troops near or far."
    "There are! They wait for you! They will defeat you and your Barbarian friends."
    The Tartarian chief gave me a slap in the mouth.
    Claudius: "Please, Balimir, let him talk. So, you runaway bigmouth, were can we find that glorious Roman army, that will defeat us?"
    I wiped the blood from my cheek and caught: "Aquincum, go to Aquincum and they will kill you!"
    Balimir turned to his Roman ally: "Claudius, this may cause trouble! Didn't you pormise that they are finished."
    Claudius: "Do not worry noble chief! This one is a liar! I know the Roman way and he only wants to mislead us. I tell you, Herulius, we will go to Aquincum and you will accompany us! If we will not meet an Roman army there, you will be the first who is dying!"

After i was regogniced. Claudius and Balimir continued talking about their plans, but i didnt here much about those becouse i was swiftly dragged outside by some Tartars after a brief command from their master.
    After few meters i stumbled and fell down on the ground. The Tartars picked me up and the older of them who resembled more of a wildboar then man sayd to me on very bad latin: "Dont worry its not your time yet to go to meet your Gods. You are now a slave and will live as long as your master sees fit for you, some of your friends will not be so lucky. Tonight we will give them to our Gods."
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast