Thread: Vinland Jarl

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Default Vinland Jarl

The Great River appeared, thick and long. It reached deep into Skraeling territory. As Jarl Obstrok Dragarrson watched the river, the cool breezes floated in. Behind him, several more of his longboats sailed onward, rounding an island in the gulf of water.

Eighteen years ago, the son of Erik the Red, Lief, found a land he called Vinland. It had stretched for many miles into the west. Rich lands, massive timbers, and a fine climate. Already, hundreds of small villages had sprung up along the outer waters of Vinland, thousands of colonists. Now, Obstrok Dragarrson sought the Great Lakes, the end of the Great River. Mythical beasts were said to roam the waters, a great waterfall that tumbled into the depths of what Christians call Hell, and hundreds of savage Skraeling tribes.
    A challange, the Danes never backed down from them.

Already, several other longboats had sailed down the river, setting up halls and houses, herds of cattle and swine. Obstrok sought the Great Southern Sea, a sea that was said to brim with fish and fowl.

Rocking gently, his longboat led the way Death-Bringer,. a warship that had subdued Saxon towns and Welsh villages. Now she held his Hearth Guard, and several carls, along with gear for a camp.

That afternoon, light settled on the rivers mouth, a land where the first of the Danes had set up New Land Home, a small fortress that was backed onto the river, overlooking it from a high bluff. Sailing past, the small fleet beached along the riverside, thick pines and oaks a barrier around them.
    "Hearth-Guard, set up your posts, and cut down timbers. Our lodges for the night!" Obstrok cried.
    Then a scream of the Skraelings.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Assistant Mod Mod Member GiantMonkeyMan's Avatar
    plymouth - scrubbing Beirut's toilet with a cat...

Default Re: Vinland Jarl

a good opening! i hope you continue...

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

As his Hearth Guard disembarked, hundreds of burnished warriors, orange in the afternoon light, streamed onto the river. Pulling his bow out, Ostrok pulled an arrow out, and fired. Two other men had done the same. His Hearth Guard had formed a shield wall, a thick mass of men and metal.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Retired Member matteus the inbred's Avatar

interesting, very different too...been reading Tim Severin's Viking trilogy by any chance?
    Support Your Local Pirate

Ahaaaaaar