Thread: Hellenic Standard Bearers

Default Hellenic Standard Bearers

Most folks in the public don't know what terrific work Spirit_of_Rob has been doing for us for a while now. The main problem is that he joined our team after 0.74 was released, and what previews we've had for units since then don't overlap with the factions he's worked most on. One of his units has been shown before, but we thought we'd let a little glimpse of some of his other work out now too. He has been doing some really great greek officers for us lately, and is now working on successor and carthaginian officer. He also has done hellenic standard bearers for us and we decided to give you a glimpse of these.

These will be in 0.8. His old-greece officers are already in and they make a huge difference as they appear over and over in battles. Also, you can't see their shield emblems here, but they are all faction-specific of course. Hope you enjoy these (btw, these are infantry unit standard bearers, hence the "Pezoi" emblem Rob placed on the banners themselves).

Default Re: Hellenic Standard Bearers

Very nice...

I especially like the Baktrian one, it looks 'different'

Now get back to work on 0.8...JP wants 0.8 now!

the koinon hellenone one looks nice, not to fancy and not to ruged

*drools*

Gimme!

Great work! Keep it up!

EBII Mapper and Animator Member -Praetor-'s Avatar

Great skins!!! Surely, (and I deeply believe you, TA) the other units he has worked on should look fantastic. I believe so, because I`ve witnessed his previous work in the Hegemonia mod, so I`m familiarized with SoR skinning abilities, which are stunning in modelling classical hoplites and now hellenistic units as well.

I would like to make some (small) constructive suggestions though:

How about changing the frame or borders of some of the standards with more varied designs (hellenic ones though), such as the following?:

Or like this:

(From Hegemonia mod, the latter is the frame of a unit preview - this is only as an example)

Another one could be made with shell motifs (not to be used with the baktria one though )...

I do think that the current border or frame decorations of the various standards look good, but they are all the same for factions as distant as Epeiros and Baktria. Perhaps giving the standards an unique style or motifs would give a more unique identity to the different factions, and that would requiere a fairly simple (in comparison) modification of the skin, and wouldn`t requiere a change in the model...

Another suggestion would be changing the words on the standards, instead of all of them say "pezoi", one of those can say "Nike!", another can say "Areté" or something...

Off course, if there are more prioritary things on which the skinners should devote their time, then there I should say no more, the skins are stunningly beautiful as they are. Nevertheless, they can have a more "distinctive look" from eachother, something that can only be as important as to the standards of an army, objects that represent the soul of their motherland they belong, and the virtues that the soldiers defend and die for.

Cheers!

I understand the suggestions raso. There's a point where Rob has to move on to other things though. He's doing other spectacular unit work now and we want to keep him moving forward. That sort of thing might very well be ideal for the next platform though.

Realy nice skins

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I think this will tide me over until 0.8...
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Post Re: Hellenic Standard Bearers

Amazing! Keep up the good work guys!

Great work!

Finally EB get's rid of those Vanilla officers that kinda spoil a unit (like the Spanish Militia's having a Vanilla Carthiginian officer).
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Hellenic Standard Bearers

Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jp26991
    Now get back to work on 0.8...
    This comment was posted earlier then I expected!

Get us those diplomats sorted out Gert! And get back to work!

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    I've got them, or at least most of them.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    Diplomats? hum hum

Hope they look so neat as the diplos from res gestae

PS: Too bad that that mod is now dead and will never come to be (or so it seems) :(

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Res Gestae dead? Did Prometheus confirm that anywhere? I've seen him post here and there, and he hasn't changed his sig...it would definitely be a shame if all that work turned out to be for nothing.

Back on topic: those standard bearers look great. My favourite one is the Epirote one, but that's because I'm biased :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec
    Res Gestae dead? Did Prometheus confirm that anywhere?
    No, he hasn`t confirmed anywhere that he`ll close the Res Gestae proyect... nor that he will continue. The fact is, that there haven`t been updates on his forum for a long time (7/19 to be more precise).

I've seen him post here and there, and he hasn't changed his sig...
    That`s the thing, he has been around the fora (he was active in TWC today, for example), but he hasn`t posted on his forum for ages, which may be interpreted as that maybe he has lost interest on the mod he was developing.

If he`s still working on the mod, he`s doing it very quietly.

it would definitely be a shame if all that work turned out to be for nothing
    Yeah, it would.

Back on topic, I like the Koinon Hellenon one, the red coat and the pylos helmet remembers a spartan officer, which would have logic. For what I know, they were gifted tactical and strategical leaders, pretty apreciated as mercenary commanders around the mediterranean world (Xantiphus, etc.)

is Pontus considered a part of the eastern culture group? I thought they were grouped with the rest of the successors.

Quote Originally Posted by Elthore
    is Pontus considered a part of the eastern culture group? I thought they were grouped with the rest of the successors.
    Pontos is a funny little kingdom - a mashing together of Persian and Hellenistic tradition. It really is a semi-, or even better, demi-successor. I imagine every faction will have some sort of faction bearer, but the kingdom doesn't seem to have been Greek enough to get a standard bearer in a manner like the other factions.

Good question on the culture group though.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I think that in the last EB version I played, Pontus and Ptolemaioi are the old Carthaginian culture from RTW, occupying the Carthage and Numidia slots. Culture groups weren't moddable in 1.2, but they are in 1.5

Pontos is in the eastern group for our 1.5 build. It's good though. Instead of another very similar to seleukid faction, you get one that has some hellenic things but from an eastern starting position or outlook. Portraits will always be eastern though - no mixing. Sorry.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foot
    I've got them, or at least most of them.

Foot
    Soem might be outdated versions tough, but as long as I don't have photoshop installed I can't finish them oif completly. And a match for Prometheus'? I fear not. Prom is a verry good modeller ans skinner while I'm very new to this.

Are eastern and eastern greek the same culture group or are they different?

They are different:

-You will primarily notice a different GUI between the two.
    -You will also note a difference in portraits - eastern is all eastern, while east greek is primarily greek, but with some helmetless eastern portraits mixed in as well.
    -They both have primarily eastern looking buildings, except the eastgreeks will have greek style temples and a few other greek buildings mixed in. But primarily eastern style. They make for a huge difference on battlemaps though - you will feel like you are in an eastern greek city instead of a greek city in the east.
    -Music is different too, though both will occasionally play each others' themes. Higher percentage though chance you will hear their own theme. I believe eastern will get eastern, eastgreek, and semitic. Eastgreek will get eastgreek, and sometimes eastern and sometimes oldgreek.

Really can't wait for you guys to get this!! Eastgreek will be one of your favorites I know!

Will the Eastgreek cities be laid out on a grid plan?

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Does that mean that the East Greeks will have the eastern city appearance on the campaign map? (ie vannilla: eastern, carthaginian, eqyptian, )

EDIT: Along those lines, are there any plans to create unique cities/ports/etc for the campaign map? Or to officially use(/finish?) the Res Gestae ones, especially seeing at RG seems to be stalled/dead?
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 11-09-2006 at 09:59.

you ain't seen me, right!!. Member satanea juda's Avatar

I'll join the SOR love in thread, one of the most under rated skinners in RTW modding and a nice guy as well, Got to love Rob.

Post Re: Hellenic Standard Bearers

I just noticed that these bearers aren't in 0.8. Will they be in 0.81?

Yes, they are in 0.81. They were left out of 0.8 due to an error, not due to any state of unreadiness of the models/skins.