Thread: Tanks!!!!!!!!

Default Tanks!!!!!!!!

Observe the beasts at rest. Tanks. Big , green and carrying a big gun. OFf they rumble, on their way to mash up some peasants!

The turrets swivel onto their targets, and the peasant mashing commences.

OK....that was easy enough!

It's not 100% perfect, due to the games insistance that their be 2 people on each scorpion cart. You can only have 1 actual scorpion model, so the turret is actually the 'crew'. The hull has to be large enough to completely hide the second 'crewman turret' and there is no way to animate the tracks. When the thing dies, you do see a glimpse of the 'ghost' turret, but that I can live with. Also, you can't attack buildings with it.....since the scorpion cart is not considered artillery.

I made a new set of animations for the carriage ballista crew, to remove the 'incidental' movements, and all worked as it should.

I could have made the turret the scorpion itself...but that would limit me to a single tank. This way, I can have as many tanks as I want You can clone the scorpion cart and change the 'cart' and the 'crew' elements to make new vehicles. Also..since you can control the rate of fire.... you can have a machine gun tank!

Change the missile to a flaming boulder, and you have a heavy cannon or mortar. No secondary guns ( this is why I wanted to attack arrow generators to units...but again, not a show stopper! )

So..there we have it. Working tanks in RTW!
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

Default Re: Tanks!!!!!!!!

Well done. This kind of ingenuity is what we need more of!

So let me be first to say tanks..er.I mean thanks for your contribution to the modding community!
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

Nice one! It looks loke a WWI mod may actually be possible!
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

Looks like a Warhammer Imperial guard Leman russ, aboulutely amazing!
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

Crazydude the Invisible Member crazydude's Avatar

that is cool. could you help me with my mini mod. I really need a skinner and your really good.

Abokasee.... yes... It's a LeMan Russ :D It's a simplified version of a model I played about with in Battlefield 1942. I had to lower the polycount some and simplify it by removing the bow gun and the sponsons.

These vehicles won't get used in the Metal Mayhem mod...but things developed from this idea will! Imagine, if you will, the 'chariot' with a single horse. That horse already swapped with a single set of mechanical 'legs' and an upper hull with a turret mounted on it.....THAT is what I have been working towards! Walking artillery!

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

@Bwain - can't the second crewman be placed below ground level? Or does that screw with collisions when firing?

Is there any way we can download this?

I believe Wlesmana made a working tank aswell, an American that is...

Myrddraal ... I originally tried it that way, but the shadow was an issue. Even though the object was below ground, it still cast is shadow. it cast it away from the body. By hiding the object inside the hull, the shadow was likewise hidden. Collisions were not an issue.
    I had originally tried making these as horse archers which didn't have a second figure, but didn't like a lot of things about that! Scorpion carts die better, act more natural, and have a small unit size.

This isn't actually available for download, since there are a whole load of tweaks I made to get it to work. It needs the animation sets I made for my mod, and doesn't work well without them.

Wlesmana may have made some tanks.... but I don't recall. I made these for a reason, and they will add a dimension to the mod that I was struggling to pin down to Metal Mayhem.