Thread: How to become CONSUL? Marian Reforms needed!

death is just the beginning Member marodeur's Avatar

Default How to become CONSUL? Marian Reforms needed!

Hello, I'm posting for the first time. First I want to say that EB is really a great improvement. You're doing a phantastic job!
    I've got a problem coming up, concerning the Marian Reforms. I've read that there are two ways to trigger them:
    At least year 172BC, have 6 Latifundia built, hold at least 45 settlements, fight more than 250 battles and have a character that is:

Intelligent/Charismatic/Vigorous
    Popularis
    Consul or Ex-Consul
    has Influence and Command > 2

OR just conquer 90 settlements.

I'm in the year 182 b.c. and have decided to play it a little bit historically : I want for example to destroy pontos with the armies of Sulla, Marius and Lucullus and I want to conquer gaul with cesar's legions, so I will attack those only after the Marian Reforms. But by doing this I will not be able to conquer up to 90 provinces with my Polybian Legions (which would be one way to trigger the marian reforms, if I have got it right). So I have to meet the other conditions: I have more than 45 provinces, easily more than 6 Latifundia, and fought by far more than 600 battles. But I have got only one single general who is Intelligent/Charismatic/Vigorous and Popularis. He has more than sufficient Command and Influence stars, and made a superb career (he occupied every roman post but consul ) until he became 35. He is Conqueror of Germania and of the Carthagians, bears the name Africanus, ... . I've been sending him home to Rome, where he is organizing daily games to make him more popular and to become elevated. I also made him Faction Leader. He now has an influence of 10 - but: no consul. Now he is about 45. Is there anything I can do so that he becomes consul? Or probably a console command? I Until now, only one general has the ex-consul trait, but sadly he is not a popularis. Thanks in advance for your help.

Default Re: How to become CONSUL? Marian Reforms needed!

hmm...don´t know if console commands works with scripted titles....a eb member may explain this for you

the other way depends on luck...not every FM who hade his career through the ranks becomes consul...
    there is no "if...then" way to consul.... sorry.

My advice is to wait. Remember that historically Rome "hit the Marian reforms" in (c'mon people, give me the real year. I don't want to look stupid).

I agree with Thaatu. I don't think how you are playing should be termed historically, rather it is more like "playing as if it was history". If you have a valid reason for entering into a war with gaul or Pontos then you shouldn't wait for an arbitrary reform date to do so. Just load up your armies with Polybian Principes, as the later polybian armies were prone to do as I understand, and take the fight to them. Role-playing is far more fun than following history, imo.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Thaatu
    My advice is to wait. Remember that historically Rome "hit the Marian reforms" in (c'mon people, give me the real year. I don't want to look stupid).
    107ish, though it wasn't done overnight.
    Veni
    Vidi
    Velcro

I think you have a good chance for your character to become Consul in next 5-10 years.

And I can't wait to finally get a Romanii campaign to that point.
    "Tell them I said something......"
    Pancho Villa
    Completed; Rome AD14!

My friend you have to wait at least to be 50 years old, no consuls with only 45.

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

And IIRC you shouldn't have made him leader, keep him as heir untill he fufills all the requirments, then make him leader. I think it dosen't work, otherwise. Though I may be wrong, I'm no Roman fan.

EDIT: Welcome to the guild!
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Combustion Member beatoangelico's Avatar

sometimes certain FM seems to have been forgotten by the senate...my former faction leader died at 62 and he did not get past Praetor even if he had 10 influence since he was in his 40s and was patricius

EDIT: Welcome to the guild! [/QUOTE]
    Thanks!

You could always give him the consul trait by the console. But you will need to know his name exactly. The guys at EB have changed how a Roman is named now.
    Only a few seek liberty; the majority seek nothing more than fair masters - Sallust

A lie told often enough becomes truth - Vladimir Lenin

Quote Originally Posted by Foot
    I agree with Thaatu. I don't think how you are playing should be termed historically, rather it is more like "playing as if it was history". If you have a valid reason for entering into a war with gaul or Pontos then you shouldn't wait for an arbitrary reform date to do so. Just load up your armies with Polybian Principes, as the later polybian armies were prone to do as I understand, and take the fight to them. Role-playing is far more fun than following history, imo.

Foot
    I certainly agree with you, but sticking to the historical boundaries of "polybian-troop-rome" has until now helped me to restrain myself from conquering half the known world and killing of enemy factions. I have never before advanced this slowly, but I can guarantee you, that the game is a lot more interesting if you give the AI the time to really build their towns and empires. As soon as I have marian legions, I will not stop for a history lesson again... Death to the weak, mash, mash!!! (quoted from dork tower magazine).
    I would think it would be great, if one could start at different times (for example, about 220 b.c. (Hannibal), 115 b.c. Jugurtha of Numidia, and Mithridates of Pontos, 60 b.c. (Caesar / Gaul). That would also give you some quite interesting options with other nations - ever thought about Caesar laying down his sword in front of Vercingetorix at the gates of rome? ) Probably this would be possible by using the "provincial campaign" option?
    But most likely I will follow your advice concerning the Principes, if everything else fails. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by marodeur
    I certainly agree with you, but sticking to the historical boundaries of "polybian-troop-rome" has until now helped me to restrain myself from conquering half the known world and killing of enemy factions. I have never before advanced this slowly, but I can guarantee you, that the game is a lot more interesting if you give the AI the time to really build their towns and empires.
    Echo. My Aedui campaign is now in 182 BCE and I control ten provinces in Gaul, with the rest (four provinces) owned by Arverni. Rome was sadly wiped out by Epirus, due to my sacking trips.

How did you pass the time?

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

I killed many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaatu
    I killed many people.
    lots and lots and lots - gauls, sweboz, greeks and seleukids were very polite and did their best to prevent boredom...

To become consul you must have at least a command star too, and be over 50 years old

Finally... He has become consul! Quite interesting and even roleplaylike: at first, he developed a trait saying that he sees himself as a veritable demi-god. Then he suddenly became ill and the trait said, that he was most likely being poisoned. So I let him leave rome and go to his old family home in arpi. There he recovered, and after this returned to rome. After his return he was elected consul. Really a cool story, and written by the game itself. Now he has departed rome, leading a newly raised lupercian (marian) Legion to conquer the libyan desert and ask the oracle of the oasis of siwa wheter he is truly a reincarnation of alexander the great... . I guess I know the priests answer when his Legion offers them their help to find it... Probably he will even meet a nice egyptian princess if he is delivered a new carpet ? That would mean quite a hard time for her sis' and bros' (and husbands [shudder])down in Alexandria... . It would be cool to combine in one character the lives of Marius, Caesar and Antonius .
    Oh, and by the way: yes, he only became consul at the age of 51. But now I have seen two other Generals (both Patricius / Optimates, so they would not have helped me getting the reforms) who have become consul and are only about 47 or 48 years old. So this can't be a criteria - or only for a general who is popularis?

Can you upload the save game lol?
    In the words of Marcvs Avrelivs;
    Live each day as if it were your last

Ο ΠΟΛΕΜΟΣ ΚΑΤΑ ΤΗΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΕΙΑΣ - A Makedonike AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=97530

Quote Originally Posted by Gaivs
    Can you upload the save game lol?
    I will try my very best, but I don't know how to do this .

If xp, go into your rtw folder/eb/saves, and find the relevant fie.

Then go here and use the browse function to select the file. The press upload and post the link here or in the 1.0 saves thread over in the gameplay guides section might be a better place.

Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

http://rapidshare.com/files/77087907...attle.sav.html

But I have to disappoint you - it is an 0.81 savegame.

Quote Originally Posted by Blingerman
    To become consul you must have at least a command star too, and be over 50 years old
    I've just had one of my guys elected consul at the age of 44. He's got two stars mind and quite a lot of influence, not to mention he’s an optimate. But still, as long as they're over 42, then its possible.

I should also add that a few turns before, Gaius Aurelius Cotta became Consul and the Censor in subsequent turns and he’d just got the subjugator of Athens title, while my young guy received the subjugator of the Peloponnese shortly before being elected consul. Do these factors have anything to do with being elected Consul? I can see how important conquests could have effected voting.
    Last edited by McAds; 12-17-2007 at 20:53.