Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaesatae underpowered!

Default Gaesatae underpowered!

I just have to ask, why are the Gaesatae so dagburn weak? I mean, they are taken down so easily by missile fire, and their performance in melee is nothing spectacular. Not considering their cost, and their long, unbeaten record in history. I mean, everyone knows that they should be about eighteen feet tall, carry a sword four yards long, and run twice as fast as normal units. They should be able to send men spinning through the air. Certainly the EB team is intelligent enough to realize that any missile short of a 16-inch shell to the chest is incapable of stopping these drugged fanatics! I certainly hope this situation is rectified in 1.1.

EDIT: I have seen so many LS and "Celtic Over-powered" threads that I thought I would hit it from the other angle.
    “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.”-Proverbs 16:32

Read my Aedui AAR-"Across the Waters: A Story of the Migration"
    And the sequel "Sword of Albion"

I is da bestest at grammar Member Strategos Alexandros's Avatar

Default Re: Gaesatae underpowered!

You're supposed to wait until April!
    - my first balloon, from Mouzafphaerre
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior
    https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bi...ookup=Plb.+toc <- read this!
    "Do you know what's worth fighting for?
    When it's not worth dying for?"

And on that subject, why isn't Beowulf in EB?

Really enjoyed that film, I think the Rebel leader in Skanda should be called Beowulf.

;)

you can get the Gaut (Geat) ethnicity trait... if only we had 'troll-slayer' as a trait... sounds good for EB2

and there is no 'story-butcher' trait for that ass who made Beowulf c'mon - Grendel's mom is hot? that's so freaking stupid!
    Last edited by blitzkrieg80; 03-26-2008 at 18:33.
    HWÆT !
    “Vesall ertu þinnar skjaldborgar!” “Your shieldwall is pathetic!” -Bǫðvar Bjarki [Hrólfs Saga Kraka]
    “Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl þonne his ellen déah.” “The course of events often saves the un-fey warrior if his valour is good.” -Bēowulf
    “Gørið eigi hárit í blóði.” “Do not get blood on [my] hair.” -Sigurð Búason to his executioner [Óláfs Saga Tryggvasonar: Heimskringla]

Wes þū hāl ! Be whole (with luck)!

Curiously this is an Gaesatae UNDERPOWERED thread instead of OVERPOWERED (witch we all love and cherish). They are weak against missiles because they are, well naked. And I really can't agree with you that they are weak in combat.
    With witch units did you battle them?

Edit: sorry didn't read your post to the end. Never mind the above
    Last edited by Maximus Aurelius; 03-26-2008 at 18:34.

theoretically, they shouldn't be killable unless you decapitate their head... also one might be able to stake them to the ground so even in undeath they're unable to get up, the source of 'vampire-stakes'.

also, they are killable if you wait until their body metabolizes the psychodelics, after they're done humping corpses... but sometimes they just drink their own / each others' urine and 'warp-spasm' all over again. in this case, you must distract them with a very large mustache... that's the only thing proven to work.

btw, shouldn't there be a special reform trait like 'has seen the shroom'? that would be great
    Last edited by blitzkrieg80; 03-26-2008 at 18:47.
    HWÆT !
    “Vesall ertu þinnar skjaldborgar!” “Your shieldwall is pathetic!” -Bǫðvar Bjarki [Hrólfs Saga Kraka]
    “Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl þonne his ellen déah.” “The course of events often saves the un-fey warrior if his valour is good.” -Bēowulf
    “Gørið eigi hárit í blóði.” “Do not get blood on [my] hair.” -Sigurð Búason to his executioner [Óláfs Saga Tryggvasonar: Heimskringla]

Wes þū hāl ! Be whole (with luck)!

I just have to ask, why are the Gaesatae so dagburn weak? I mean, they are taken down so easily by missile fire, and their performance in melee is nothing spectacular. Not considering their cost, and their long, unbeaten record in history. I mean, everyone knows that they should be about eighteen feet tall, carry a sword four yards long, and run twice as fast as normal units. They should be able to send men spinning through the air. Certainly the EB team is intelligent enough to realize that any missile short of a 16-inch shell to the chest is incapable of stopping these drugged fanatics! I certainly hope this situation is rectified in 1.1.
    Well, in 1.1 they're 6 feet tall and shoot lightning from their hands and fireballs from their arses.
    This space intentionally left blank.

I want to know how he managed to test them against 16inch shells.
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior

Enemy of cauliflower Member Visitor13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hax
    Well, in 1.1 they're 6 feet tall and shoot lightning from their hands and fireballs from their arses.
    You have access to 1.1

(points finger at Hax) He has access to 1.1

Get him!

The knowledge that some people can play 1.1 already is enough to turn me into a Gaesatae, no shrooms needed.
    A big THANKS to all Total War modders

Heed the wisdom in Omanes Alexandropolites' signature!

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

That's the reason they're 80 men a unit in my EB (instead of a mere 60).
    I'm playing Rome, btw.

I was sure this was a joke thread
    The artist formerly known as Johnny5.

The knowledge that some people can play 1.1 already is enough to turn me into a Gaesatae, no shrooms needed.
    Don't make me go Rhodian Slinger on your two hitpoints!

...oh wait, we're not supposed to tell that unit is in 1.1?

Crap.

Enemy of cauliflower Member Visitor13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hax
    Don't make me go Rhodian Slinger on your two hitpoints!
    Yikes, I need to put my pants back on to protect my two hitpoints from the bad man and his bad rocks...
    A big THANKS to all Total War modders

Heed the wisdom in Omanes Alexandropolites' signature!

My inside sources have revealed to me that in 1.1 a unit of Gaesatae will be given the ability to combine to form.............

DEVASTATOR!!!!
    Last edited by Nirvanish; 03-26-2008 at 20:40.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

I think they somehow used the vanilla Oliphant model to pull that off.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker-Jack
    I was sure this was a joke thread
    Yeah I think so too. I was serious as hell though.

People's Padishah Emperor Member Emperor Burakuku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moros
    That's the reason they're 80 men a unit in my EB (instead of a mere 60).
    I'm playing Rome, btw.
    I also play Rome ATM. Are you sure you mean UNDERpowered? I mean even when I totaly rout the rest of their army and I manage to encircle them with strong units like like 2 Triarii and 2 Extraordinarii (against one one Gaesatae) they still manage to make more casualties then they should.... or then I suppose they should in that certain situation. I've also noticed that less costly is to get 2 or 3 slingers behind them when they engage your line. But of course, most of the times that cannot be done. So... I'm asking myself... if I spend all this time thinking how to make these guys history... is weather I have a problem, or maybe, just maybe they're not UNDERpowered. BTW, I'm not saying they're overpowered, they're just strong, tuff, naked lads on drugs.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog"

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodotos I

EDIT: I have seen so many LS and "Celtic Over-powered" threads that I thought I would hit it from the other angle.
    If they don't like the missiles, then they'll have their fight in the shade...
    Last edited by cmacq; 04-01-2008 at 17:43.
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

The Rabbit Nibbler Member Korlon's Avatar

It's a joke thread man.

They're just fine the way they are. It's like a rock-paper-scissors relationship. Just hit them with missiles or keep them away from your men with phalanxes. Don't get your infantry in hand to hand combat or they'll slaughter you tooth and nail.
    Last edited by Korlon; 03-26-2008 at 22:39.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Remanent or Supremacy - An EB Pontos AAR - Unfortunately postponed indefinitely.
    1.1 Saka Rauka Gameplay Guide
    1.1 Lusotannan Gameplay Guide

Clear the battlefield... Member Tarkus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkrieg80
    theoretically, they shouldn't be killable unless you decapitate their head... also one might be able to stake them to the ground so even in undeath they're unable to get up, the source of 'vampire-stakes'.

also, they are killable if you wait until their body metabolizes the psychodelics, after they're done humping corpses... but sometimes they just drink their own / each others' urine and 'warp-spasm' all over again. in this case, you must distract them with a very large mustache... that's the only thing proven to work.

btw, shouldn't there be a special reform trait like 'has seen the shroom'? that would be great
    Funny as hell, dude...thanks for the late-afternoon guffaw (the folks around me in my "second office" coffeeshop may be rather confused or frightened by my outburst...screw 'em...
    I have seen the future and it is very much like the present, only longer -- Kehlog Albran, The Profit

People's Padishah Emperor Member Emperor Burakuku's Avatar

Ups I feel stupid now... It's a joke thread... damn I did it! Forget what I said... damn it! WTF is wrong with me not reading all the post? Damn it! I feel like swearing like Cartman now, damn it! Always read all the post damn it!
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog"

I completely disagree with you that the Gaesatae are underpowered. Whenever I fight against gauls they will be the last standing on the field, and do a lot of damage, especially against my front line of Hastati and Hastati Samnitici. And then one cant forget that these maniacs fought nacked.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Korlon
    It's a joke thread man.
    Yes.

I was thinking...maybe the problem could be solved by giving the Gaesatae another hit point and .33 lethality, and then giving powerful units to the factions surrounding Gaul to compensate - say, head hurlers for the Casse, Arcani for the Romans, and berserkers for the Sweboz?

Quote Originally Posted by jabarto
    I was thinking...maybe the problem could be solved by giving the Gaesatae another hit point and .33 lethality, and then giving powerful units to the factions surrounding Gaul to compensate - say, head hurlers for the Casse, Arcani for the Romans, and berserkers for the Sweboz?
    and how about bull warriors for the spaniards?
    Brothers in Arms- A Legionaries AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...86#post1853386

Quote Originally Posted by Long lost Caesar
    and how about bull warriors for the spaniards?
    *sigh* Everyone knows that the Spaniards used goat warriors, not bull warriors as their best infantry, as shown by the way they would eat their opponents clothes after a battle.
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior

Quote Originally Posted by strategos alexandros
    You're supposed to wait until April!
    No, that's MY job! :D

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Quote Originally Posted by strategos alexandros
    *sigh* Everyone knows that the Spaniards used goat warriors, not bull warriors as their best infantry, as shown by the way they would eat their opponents clothes after a battle.
    And I thought that what hIboz brushed their teeth with, was strong enough to do the trick?
    Last edited by cmacq; 03-28-2008 at 05:20.
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

I'm serious...

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    No, that's MY job! :D
    I thought there was a competition for the first?
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast