Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remanent or Supremacy? - A Pontos AAR

The Rabbit Nibbler Member Korlon's Avatar

Default Remanent or Supremacy? - A Pontos AAR

Hello guys. This will be my first time writing an AAR. I feel that it will spice up my campaign a little, make it a little more than just me winning every battle one-sidedly as my willpower to not simply utterly destroy everything in my path is far too low unless there's something else stopping me, and this is just what I need. Please give advice if necessary.

Also, a note, sorry but there will be very few pictures in the introduction as I kind of started playing first and then I thought about making an AAR. I'll post the introduction in the following post.

The game was played on VH/M and, of course, no cheats will be used unless I need toggle_fow to take a screenshot. Though I may use force diplomacy once in a while to shake things up.

This was played using the RomeTW-ALX.exe.

Just a note. The first year of the empire is 281 BCE.

EB 1.0 was used in the making of this AAR. All rights reserved.

I'm kind of just thinking up house rules as I play along. I have never retrained my troops, so why not just make that one of my rules? Even though Alex.exe allows AI retraining...
    Last edited by Korlon; 04-29-2008 at 21:36.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Remanent or Supremacy - An EB Pontos AAR - Unfortunately postponed indefinitely.
    1.1 Saka Rauka Gameplay Guide
    1.1 Lusotannan Gameplay Guide

Default Re: Remanent or Supremacy? - A Pontos AAR

Introduction: The Pontic Empire Begins.

In a way, our Kingdom of Pontos can be seen as one of the weakest and the smallest, but does not every kingdom start off small? History has shown again and again; the strong will eventually fall and the next empire will take its place. Well, this is the time of Pontos; this is the time where Pontos will rule.

Our mighty kingdom came about through the death of Megas Alexandros. Our people consist of generations of Hellenes and Anatolians. Our rulers are inherently Persian. They claim to be descendents of Darius, the ruler of the grand empire of Persia decades past, though they are cultured in the ways of the Hellenes. The area is surrounded by mountains, providing a great natural defense. The grounds of our great kingdom are also very fertile, providing our troops with the necessary supplies to go long into a campaign. Another leader would simply believe our fate to be simple farmers, but not our leaders, they dream of greater things. However, even with our fertile lands, our lands are still small and our treasury empty. This will be the greatest hurdle we will have to face before our empire may expand.

To the East lies the Kingdom of Hayasdan. We are friends, for the moment. They are great horsemen and their strength is not to be trifled with; if we are to meet in battle, it would be difficult to say who would win. Our borders do not touch, but no doubt we may one day fight as it would surely be our destiny.

Further east lay the Parthians. They are great horsemen of the steppes. Their horses are large and strong, able to hold a fully armored rider upon its back as well as armaments for itself and yet still able to move faster and longer than any other horse in the region. Their skills for the bow are honed from birth and any target within 150 meters would surely be hit by these masters of archery and their composite bows. My leaders have great qualms about meeting their kind in battle though I would surely honor their help in any battle.

Just three short years ago, we were “friends” of Seleukeia, but our leaders knew that wasn’t about to last. They seized their chance when they had it and took the city of Mazaka on the outskirts of the Seleukid Empire. Seleukeia is mighty; no doubt can be placed upon this fact. However, might leads to corruption and such a large empire also means difficulty in protection. Their armies are spread thin as was the case of the Battle of Mazaka, where we lost only a few men compared to the entire garrison, which wasn’t many, stationed there.

The Ptolemaioi have an empire that rivals that of Seleukeia and we are also at war. I once instructed our leaders to try to arrange for a cease-fire with them. I was not surprised when they told me a diplomatic party was already sent a fortnight ago. At the very moment, word came back from the southeast. Our offer for a cease-fire was simply spat upon. I was hanging on the belief that they might be too busy securing their borders next to Seleukeia to be concerned with us, but I suppose I underestimated their treasury and man-power. After all, the fertile lands of Ptolemaioi rival that of our own; theirs perhaps even more fertile. Their ports and trade, compared to us, we who do not even hold a port next to the Mediterranean or the Aegean, are monstrous in scale.

In recent years, we have contacted the men of Makedonia, Koinon Hellenon, and the Getai. The town of Sinope was allied with the Koinon Hellenon when we attacked them a few months after our siege of Mazaka. As a result, we are currently at war with them. At the moment, our relations with the Getai are friendly, though as a result the Makedonians do not wish to further our relations except for a right of trade.

Current territories of Pontos as of 269 B.C.E.

These are the nations that surround us, these are the nations we must conquer. In recent years, we have traveled west and have subdued the men of Galatia as well as a few other provinces in the area. Moving southeastward would prove harsh as our current treasury and abled men cannot handle an all out attack by or on the Ptolemaioi or the Seleukidai. Thus our current goal is to subdue the independent cities of the west before we tempt our fate with the bigger powers, and at the moment, it is just as so.

- Dionysios Herakleotes, minor advisor to the Basileus Ariobarzanes Kianos
    Last edited by Korlon; 04-30-2008 at 19:42.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Remanent or Supremacy - An EB Pontos AAR - Unfortunately postponed indefinitely.

Looks very promising. Nice writing style too (it felt like a greek scholar was explaining everything) Now show us some more...
    The path is nameless - Lao Tse

Nice start man

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Nice start, keep it up!

Oh, by the way, remnant< is spelled like that. (not a big deal)
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Man, that's terrible. I was so sure I checked the correct spelling yesterday as well. Oh well.

Edit: Looks like my spelling was correct after all. Just that yours is as well.
    Last edited by Korlon; 04-29-2008 at 21:37.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Chapter One: Tribulations of a Fallen General

The last thing I felt was a xyston stabbing me in the back. It penetrated my armor and punctured my right lung in a split second. I died soon after. However, what’s this I see then? I looked around me to see scores upon scores of people. Some of them are sleeping while others seem to be in a pit of sorrow. I then realized that I was in Hades. Moments earlier I had been fighting for the lives of my men and for the men, women, and children of Nikaia, including my own wife and two sons. I had no doubt that we had lost. Last I saw, a major contingent of our soldiers was being destroyed while their side only lost a few men. The only hope I have is that my wife and sons were alright.

Ahead I see a river. So beautiful that it must be the Acheron itself. You would never have imagined that this was the underworld. Nearby was Charon with his signature hammer, ferrying those that had the required offering.. With those who did not have the offering, they were doomed to wonder the banks of the Acheron for a hundred years.

Then, by a stroke of luck, I saw one of the men walking around, looking as confused as myself. I immediately ran up to him. It was Astrabakos. We liked to call him the crab as one night while we gathered around a campfire drinking some wine, he had this somewhat amusing story about a dozen crabs scattered about a beach. He told us about how he caught every single one of them, each time making a walking motion like that of a crab. Our spirits were high that day. On the day of battle, which was only moments ago, I had set him, as well as a few other soldiers, to guard the town square. After we exchanged greetings, he immediately wanted to ask me about the battle. Although he could hear the screams and cries of men echoing throughout the town, he could not see due to the houses that blocked his sight. Since I realized it would be a while before my family could properly bury me as well as the aureus so that I may gain passage on Charon’s boat, I might as well speak with a few people to pass the time.

The enemy general appeared to be the Basileus of Pontos. He and his bodyguard were demons; their armor was strong, very strong, stronger than that which I have ever seen or imagined; their skill in battle was also unrivaled. Pontos had in his contingency four sarissa brigades, a unit of skirmishers and a unit of slingers. It was like the Battle of Chaeronea once more. Our shorter doru and swords had absolutely no chance against their longer sarissas, especially within the city streets where you could not effectively flank a phalangites.

Our army mostly consisted of skirmishers, some light, though mostly heavy. We only had one unit of men that could truly use the spear well. All of my other men were cavalry, which are not effective in the city.

The battle started out with the enemy ramming down the two walls adjacent to our gates. We had expected them to ram down our gates instead so most of our men were guarding the gate rather than the walls. We spent most of our javelins as they proceeded to ram down the walls. Once the walls were down, we quickly sent a few men to guard the entrances. However, these men, who have not fought nearly as much as I would had liked them to, ran blindly once the enemy started slinging their lead balls at us. Somehow, the enemy managed to sneak one of their phalangites inside the city while we were confused. The younger ones, aching to prove their worth in battle, charged at the long, six meter pikes. I yelled at them to not go, but by then they were already engaged. At that moment, I noticed a small opening in their formation at the left and right sides. That’s when I took my chance and started hacking away at the enemy’s flanks. However, I am not a general, nor am I a smart man. I was simply chosen to be the general of the defending army as there was no one else better. I had forgotten about the rest of the enemy’s army. At that same moment, I saw the enemy cavalry crash into my rear. We were trapped between a field of sarissas and a field of xystons. Moments later, I was on the ground, bleeding internally from my wound and died soon after.

Astrabakos listened on, patiently, as I revealed my tale. I asked him what had happened at the end of the battle. He simply told me what I already knew. We had lost. It was a defeat of devastating proportions. No soldier was left alive as far as he could tell. He was one of the last to fall.

Over the course of a couple hours, which felt like eternity, we began talking about our lives. We even found some more of our fellow comrades in arms while down here. The area was huge, large enough that it was impossible to find anybody you wished to. If you wanted to find somebody, you'd probably have better chance going against phalangitai head on. Then one day, I felt something beneath my tongue. It was the obolus, the coin required for crossing the river. I said my goodbyes to my fellow friends and set out to Charon’s ferry. I had to step aside my life and look to the future, whichever that may be. The next area would be the judging ground, and I only hope my life was worthy.

- Moskon – Leader of the garrison of Nikaia
    Last edited by Korlon; 04-29-2008 at 21:56.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

That's certainly an interesting angle to write the chapter from. Nice work on that.

I must say though, Mokson seemed kind of devoid of emotion - was that because he was dead? I'm not meaning this as a criticism or anything, I'm just curious.

Uh, I forgot about writing in emotions I suppose. I kind of wrote this at 4 in the morning. I'll try improving upon that in the future.
    Last edited by Korlon; 03-30-2008 at 18:22.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Chapter Two: A Winter's March, A Seige of Byzantion

My father’s name is Ktistes Mithridates Kianos. He was the original founder of the Kingdom of Pontos as the Ktistes part of his name means. I inherited the kingdom from his hands. He has reigned since 302 B.C.E. until his peaceful death 33 years later on the spring of 269 B.C.E. Though he has reigned, my father only assumed the role of Basileus on 281 B.C.E. meaning the kingdom is now not less than fifteen years old. Though we started out with only a small city of a few hundred thousand people, we now own the entire coastline from Sinope to that of Byzantion. He now rests in our royal tombs situated at our capital city of Amaseia.

Since I’ve been able to walk my father has trained me in the ways of battle. The world of today is a frightening one; war runs rampant and peace is only the period between the previous war and the next. To survive, one must be strong, skilled, and, above all, intelligent. I believe I have all these traits, and more, and in the prime years of my life, I will expand the Kingdom of Pontos from the Black Sea to the Mediterranean, to take all of Anatolia and bring its inhabitants under my command so that they may love me and know my people as liberators.

After the siege of Nikaia, my advisors urged me to continue on. They wanted me to at least conquer at least the city of Byzantion so that I may control the Bosphorus. The Aegean Sea, if there was any sea more dedicated to trade, it would be this one. Large cities literally dot the coastline. Athens, on the other side of the Aegean, can be seen as the greatest merchant city known to man. One day, I would wish to visit it and its wondrous culture, and claiming Byzantion is the first step as it is what connects the Black Sea to the Aegean. After controlling this city, our treasury will literally be flowing.

The only problem was that of our military prowess, it was horribly weak. The only reason why we are still thriving is because we are surrounded by independent states that are not bent on conquest. Seleukeia and Ptolemaioi simply consider us too weak to even bother. However, even with that, I took almost half of the total military and set out for Byzantion. To this point, I had directly commanded five battles and directly served under my father yet another three battles. To be succinct, I felt I had the necessary experience to destroy an army with more troops than my own, which is exactly what happened.

During the winter of the thirteenth year of our empire, I set my men out towards Byzantion. Merchants pass through the Bosphorus all the time and, more likely than not, they would stop there for a few days to deal their wares and to sleep with a roof over their heads. One of these merchants named Epaphras Krannos actually heard about the garrison stationed there while he sold some of his textiles. A few of my soldiers, while having some rest in a bar near one of the marketplaces of our city of Nikaia, overheard this man talking about the soldiers of Byzantion. Immediately they obtained information from the trader and relayed it to me. I generously paid the soldiers a few shekels for their information and only a few days later, began marching them towards the target.

While on our march, it snowed. The air was humid as ever, being so near the Black Sea and the Aegean Sea. The only warmth my men obtained was from the tireless marches I set them out to do and the wine. I wished to get there before winter ended, so as to surprise the enemy and catch them off-guard. Each day I thought about the future, though no less of the past. My advisors crowded around me in my tent, which is only one room rather than the grand tents of the Persian rulers before Alexandros conquered them all, well except for us. Our kingdom is the only true Persian Empire out there now, and we must take what is rightfully ours.

Finally, we met up with the city of Byzantion. It did not seem very important, but the lands it controls are, and now we will take it for ourselves. At first, I sent a diplomatic party within the walls asking for them to surrender to us peacefully. Of course, they refused. Our army was simply smaller than theirs and the defender, especially when in the safe confines of a city, is always at an advantage. Still, as soon as we caught wind of their reaction, we set the city under siege.

Byzantion was a trade city. Its soldiers, though more numerous than ours, were not as strong individually, still they were the stronger. But, they understood that in a city, their advantage in numbers would be gone. 30 minutes before dawn, three days after we besieged their city, their slipped out of the city. It would be until a great majority of their troops came out before we actually noticed their presence. However, they chose to attack us after all their troops were assembled, a mistake as it allowed us to form our own troops together and our phalangitai do take ages to mobilize.

At the moment I thought that they must be suicidal. They threw their own men into the lengths of our sarissas. However, it seemed they only used their light troops for this task. I watched as our phalangitai were immediately flanked by the enemy hoplitai.

While my cavalry worked to rout the infantry hitting the flanks of my men, I made a huge mistake. I did not notice that a large group of enemy cavalry circled around and began killing my light troops. By the time I went to help, three quarters of my light troops were already killed. I mourned for their loss. Moments later, we slaughtered the remaining soldiers holed up in the town square. My anger subsided only hours later. We examined the battlefield.

A few of our healers managed to save some of our men to fight another day, but the majority of the incapacitated were just exactly that, dead. I noticed some of the men I’ve fought with for the past few years. They were all either young or old. Bairius, able to hit a target half the time from 50 meters away. Piales, the men loved him for his jokes. He was a great asset on the short, but harsh winter march. Kyros, an old man with experience and wisdom of that of champions. I will miss them as well as the others that have honored their presence, but they will always be remembered as long as Pontos is remembered for the greatness of the empire I and my descendents will create.

- Ariobarzanes Kianos, Second Basileus of Pontos, thirteen springs since the founding of the empire.
    Last edited by Korlon; 04-29-2008 at 21:57.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Chapter Three: Diary of a Young Maiden

My husband’s in the library of Ipsos again, reading about the Hellenes as well as expanding his own knowledge of governing. I feel my sickness getting worse. Oh, how I wish I could be by his side more. The doctors come by every day, and my husband sends over a herbalist from outside town every week, but I feel it is not working, nothing is. We met only a year ago. He was seventeen while I was only twelve. My father’s a rather prominent businessman in the area and three years ago, my husband’s father occupied and set the town and the surrounding area in the name of Pontos. To be honest, I have no interest in war, but my husband does not fight. He hasn’t even see a drip of blood besides the times he’s been in military training as is required of all the royalty of Pontos, but there’s no doubt this will change. He is a Koiranides and sole male heir of the Basileus. It will be his destiny to rule his people, and I cannot change that.

He is an energetic man, so much so that even though he wishes to be beside me, he cannot due to his inner compulsions. It can be seen as a negative trait, but you cannot silence the soul and its wishes. It is actually one of the reasons why I actually enjoy our bond. My father gave me away to the royal family to enrich his own ambitions, but nowhere can it be said that I don’t take pleasure in this. He naturally made up for the part of me that wishes to be out there, doing things. His compassion is peerless and it naturally can be seen in his actions and demeanor towards me as well as the rest of the citizens, though he could do with lowering the taxes a bit, but I can understand the need of coin for a growing empire. Sooner or later, though, he will lose part of his gentle nature. Being a ruler means the need to be ruthless in some subjects and genial in others.

There has been word that Mithridates’s father Ariobarzanes has been stationed in Byzantion for the past couple seasons. The man’s talent for command is astonishing, his own need for conquest relentless, but his own mind drives him back. He simply does not hold the troops necessary to keep going. Even now, there is no garrison where we live. The only true soldiers are that of my husband and his royal bodyguard, each strong in their own right but not...

- Diary of the wife of Koiranides Mithridates Kianos, Monima, fifteen years after the founding of the empire.

-----

Yeah, no pictures. You don't usually put pictures in such things. My updates are somewhat slow during the weekdays since I have school.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Chapter Four: Seleukeia and Diplomacy

Good news and bad news has arrived over the past few years. The Basileus sat in Byzantion for a while before moving back to Nikaia to get closer to his next area of interest. We have since waited a few years to increase our treasury and start building our infrastructure. However, to do that, we had to keep quite a minimal amount of fighting soldiers on garrison across our provinces. And, well…I think I will write about the good news first.

In the previous years, we have sent a group of diplomats to the west. Many alliances were achieved. If not, at least trade rights and map information were exchanged. Although it is highly in doubt that our borders would ever meet up with those of the Iberian tribe of Lusotannan or the Gallic tribes of the Aedui, having a plethora of alliances is always a good thing.

Our treasury has also soared in the previous few seasons. We are, or rather were, making around four hundred talents per year, which is a considerable amount, compared to the fifty talents we were making five years ago.

That’s about it for the good news, now for the bad news. A few nights ago, word came around that Ipsos was taken by the Seleukidai. That would’ve been fine as we could’ve just taken it back. However, such a thing is not so easy. Unfortunately, the Basileus’s only male heir was governing the town at the time of the attack. No walls were built at the time and there was hardly any warning. We simply couldn’t afford spies at the time. Troops of Seleukeia numbered in the thousands while our only protection was that of Koiranides Mithridates Kianos and his royal bodyguard, not enough for protecting the town except from a couple bandits. He was surrounded and immediately cut down. The inhabitants of Ipsos were under Seleukid rule just a few short years earlier so Seleukeia did not kill any of its commoners, but I’m sure the Koiranides’s wife and, perhaps her family, was killed.

The Basileus is absolutely furious at the moment and immediately gave orders to start recruiting a new population of soldiers to immediately take Ipsos as well as Sardis. It should take at least a few years before we have enough soldiers to fight off the Seleukidai, but it’s an eventuality.

- Dionysios Herakleotes, lower advisor to the Basileus of Pontos, fifteen years after the formation of the empire.

-----

Current map of Pontos and its somewhat surrounding area.

Last edited by Korlon; 04-02-2008 at 05:25.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Couldn't write anything in the past week or so due to heavy exams. They're over with for now so I can get back to this.

Chapter Five: Pergamon

“So why did you join the army?”

“Same as yours of course! For the glory and the riches!”

Polemon and Otanes were both nineteen, new levies in the army of Pontos. It was the twentieth year of the Pontic Dynasty (261 BC). The army of Ariarathes Herakleotes was marching towards the ancient and powerful Greek city of Pergamon. It consisted of six sarissas contingents with four allied Caucasian short spear regiments as well as two allied Caucasian bands of archers. Pontos was still a poor nation at the tips of the great kingdoms of Ptolemaioi and Seleukeia.

Polemon gave his two sarissas to Otanes. “It’s your turn to carry them.” Otanes grunted as he took the four three meter parts of the sarissas. “It’s a good thing our armor is, well, hardly existent.” Polemon replied, “How is that a good thing? We’ll be dead if anybody lands a blow on us.” Otanes laughed, “Our army is nigh-impregnable from the front! It will be fine. Our king isn’t a great general, but he wouldn’t lead us to our deaths.”

“Didn’t we have another king a few years ago?”

“Yes. I hear he was a great general by the time he died. A rather massive, and powerful earthquake took him by surprise while he was drinking with his mates. The roof collapsed and killed him on the spot.”

“What a shameful way to die.”

The army has just taken Ipsos back from the Seleukidai. The garrison was small.

Scouts reported a large army of Seleukeia just southwest of Ipsos at Sardis. Even then, Ariarathes refused to stay put in Ipsos to help defend the town. He wanted to continue moving. “The best defense is a great offense.” Reinforcements were being trained at all times. They would reach Ipsos the next year.

Ariarathes halted the army. Ahead lay the city of Pergamon. Its walls could already be seen.

“Rather than give a longwinded speech about what we must do, let’s just do what we have to. You’re all intelligent people and I have no reason to believe you won’t be able to do what I ask. In that regard, this campaign is to continue the ambitions of my half-brother. We have avenged my brother’s son by taking back Ipsos, but we must do more. Our great kingdom, you and myself included, wishes to expand it borders, its spread of influence, and only you and I can do this! So without further ado, begin building the siege weapons.”

The city of Pergamon had only wooden walls. All that needed to be built were a few rams. Engineers were brought up and the soldiers were the laborers. No disgruntlement was seen in the army. In their eyes, the campaign had just begun.

After a few days, the rams were built. Ariarathes hailed the commander of the army of Pergamon and he, along with a few of his captains, were granted entrance to the city.

First thing the two commanders did was to exchange gifts. Ariarathes gave Ennomos one of his jewel-encrusted rings while Ennomos granted Ariarathes with a valuable crest off of his own shield. The standard diplomacy followed afterwards. As expected, no good came of it. Though the Pontic army was a little more numerous, its men were also weaker one on one. The men of Pergamon were never going to surrender without a fight, especially one which favored them.

Deliberations drew to a close as soon as it began and Ariarathes began the siege months later.

The battle was mostly an all-out melee at the walls and gates. The thing that swayed the battle in favor of Pontos was the death of their general. Morale plummeted and many were cut down while they tried to regroup at the town square. Polemon and Otanes both died in battle. The bodies of the dead were sent back to their families. Retribution were also given to the families of the fallen.

Danger still loomed in the foreground. The army of Seleukeia was remarkably close. It wouldn't be long before Pontos would have to fight them once more.

--------

Last edited by Korlon; 04-29-2008 at 22:06.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Wow that was a nice battle there. Awesome screenies. Makes you feel like your in the action :) Keep up the good work and glad your exams are over so you can get back to this AAR.

Thank you Chirurgeon.

By the way, I've been adding that little map thing to the end a few times, but as you can see, the colors don't really... match up to those of the true game. I've been using the paint bucket tool, but the color always turns out different than what I want it to. Like, instead of the Pink Pontos, I'm getting that kind of browny I don't know what the heck it's called color. Anybody have a solution for this?

Also, I'm trying to learn how to use photoshop as it has been just sitting there on my computer all this time. Anybody know a good website so I can learn some of the better features? Googling helps a little, but the websites given don't really correspond to what I want.
    Last edited by Korlon; 04-13-2008 at 06:30.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Quote Originally Posted by Korlon
    Thank you Chirurgeon.

By the way, I've been adding that little map thing to the end a few times, but as you can see, the colors don't really... match up to those of the true game. I've been using the paint bucket tool, but the color always turns out different than what I want it to. Like, instead of the Pink Pontos, I'm getting that kind of browny I don't know what the heck it's called color. Anybody have a solution for this?

Also, I'm trying to learn how to use photoshop as it has been just sitting there on my computer all this time. Anybody know a good website so I can learn some of the better features? Googling helps a little, but the websites given don't really correspond to what I want.
    Well I must say I am not sure about the problem in the top paragraph. I just use the basic paint program and it turns out fine. Could be the type of file perhaps. Not sure. There are alot of people on the forums that can help though.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

If you mean adding color to the big downloadable EB map, I've had problems coloring it too. I think the picture is setup with 32 colors or something.
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 04-13-2008 at 21:04.

I finally got it working, the coloring that is. The downloadable EB map is in .gif form. I just changed it to .jpg and it works out.

So here are the fruits of my labor. Current map as of 261 BC. Too bad Atiqa isn't there though.

Last edited by Korlon; 04-13-2008 at 21:19.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

This AAR is a good read, please continue

Chapter Six: From Sinope to Sardis

22nd year (259 BCE)
    There’s only so much war a town can take before its citizens start having nightmares. That amount is one, only one. Ipsos, however, has seen been the site of battle far more than one can count in this past decade.

On the way to Pergamon, Ariarathes left a small contigent of soldiers behind at Ipsos. Two units of hoplitai haploi to be exact. There were two entrances to the town square. Each unit could effectively guard each path by themselves, but with superior numbers, it isn’t a possible task.

Such a thing was predictable, yet there’s nothing that could be done. Reinforcements from Amaseia, Mazaka, and Ankyra were still a few seasons away.

It did not take much from Ptolemaioi’s forces to defeat the small garrison, but more than half of the enemy’s troops were killed in the battle, effectively preventing those soldiers to do anymore harm to the neighboring provinces.

Seventy-two days later…
    “The Basileus’s scouts have informed us of a large Seleukid force sitting just outside the east gate of Sardis. Sardis is the westernmost settlement of the Seleukidai. Between it and the rest of her territory lie the Ptolemaioi. Reinforcements would be hard to acquire. Ariarathes and his group of advisors have already gathered at his tent to discuss the next action. Pergamon is a recently conquered city and its inhabitants are still subject to riots if we do not garrison it with a sufficient force. The people have gone centuries without exchange of rulers. This is the first time another party has established themselves as the governor of the city. All the time since then has been spent quelling the population: killing off rebellious people, gifting possible friends, and the such. Either way, we’re heading out in a few days, either to Ipsos or Sardis.”
    -Pharnouchos, royal bodyguard of the Basileus

Thirty-four days later…
    “Something tells me what we’re doing is suicide.”
    “But think of what we’ll gain once we win!”
    “We’ll gain nothing if we die. We’re facing a might twice as powerful as our own! Victory just isn’t possible.”
    “You belittle yourself as well as the rest of us. There have been plenty of times where a smaller army achieved victory over a larger foe.”
    “And nine out of ten times they had better weapons and armor. What do we have? Linen and cloth? The mistophoroi hoplitai over there even have better equipment than us!”
    “Don’t complain, else they’ll execute you and your family for treason.”

Three days later…
    “A number of merchants have been traveling with us as of late. I purchased quite a number of items the other day. I sent it back to my family in Mazaka for safe-keeping. I’ll hopefully survive the next battle. It’s also been settled. We won’t be going to Ipsos. We’re taking on the superior Seleukid force at Sardis. Never can it be said that such a thing hasn’t been done. Alexandros himself did the same with even larger adversity. The Basileus isn’t as great a general as Alexandros, but no bad can be said of him. No battle hasn’t been won with him in charge. Morale is very high and hopes are still present.”
    -Arsames, soldier

A day earlier…
    “The army is relentless. A few days prior, we had come across a few camps where the Ptolemaioi stayed on their path to Ipsos. It seems as if they had come from the direction of Sardis. I fear the two major kingdoms of the east might be conspiring hand-in-hand.”
    - Ariarathes, Basileus

Four days later…
    The landscape is littered with trees; it obscures the view of the battlefield. Though the Pontic army initiated the army, they were on defense. The depth of the Seleukid army was twice the size of the Pontic formation. There were also Seleukidai reinforcements coming in from Sardis. It had been approximately a year since the last battle for the soldiers of Pontos, though most of the soldiers of Seleukeia haven’t fought in years. Cavalry on the Seleukid side numbered quadruple that of the Pontic side. Infantry was doubled. The odds were 2:1 against the army of Pontos, and it did not look well for them at all.

Two hours later…
    “I realize many of you think this to be a suicide mission. I am not a charismatic person, so I’ll keep this short. You all know my skills and what I am. Nothing else must be done aside from achieving victory. Form up!”
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Chapter Seven: The Basileus of Sardis

Here, it was a sheep against a lion, a mouse against an elephant, Pontos against Seleukeia.

The opposing army sent their forward scouts before their main army advanced, in order to try to disrupt the Pontic formation. They were easily routed with our superior cavalry, and the army formed up proper once more.

Our army was set up in the shape of a crescent moon. Due to the width of the Seleukid army, Ariarathes put our army in such a way so that it would be much more difficult to flank us. This natural formation also protected our archers from their more numerous cavalry as well as lowering the amount of distance Ariarathes and his bodyguard had to cover to stop the opposing army from flanking us.

Arrows flew past our heads. I am one of many men in the sarissa brigade. Against the front, we were invincible unless against another user of the sarissa. The Seleukid army was made mostly of mercenaries. That was how they had so many men this far away from their core provinces, but they still had a few brigades of sarissas in their formation, and it wasn't long before they engaged us.

We are the main force of our army. We deliver the punch, but there's only so much we can do. No man with a brain would walk into our spears so the casualties we deliver are small. Apparently, our form of combat came from the Makedonians. They always contained a large amount of cavalry in their army. Our current army only contain the royal bodyguards, but what we lose in numbers make up in experience. Ariarathes's royal bodyguard are as battle-hardened as men can be. Anything they touched lay to ruin.

From my left, I heard the harsh sounds of battle. I have no time to look around, nor could I. Dust enveloped around the battlefield. Blood and grime developed into a mist of death. The sun's heavenly light filled the battlefield. It was a beautiful sight.

Yells, screams, and battlecries filled the air. Groans traveled upward from the ground as if the spirits themselves were escaping the earth. My sarissa still had not found itself within the bowels of a man while my comrades in front thrusted theirs with the ferocity of tigers.

To my upper left, over the armaments of the enemy army, I saw my Basileus fighting the enemy commander. Our royal bodyguard are the strongest in the known world. They were fully covered with armor and equipped with a xyston and a machaira, made specifically for combat. In that regard, the bodyguard of the Seleukids were similar. Their armor, however, were lighter and not as strong, and that very weakness showed itself as the Basileus slaughtered the opposing general left and right.

I glanced to my right to see a contingent of our sarissas routed. Our line was broken. We had to keep our lines thin to make up for the width of our enemy. There were only two sarissa contingents left. Our morale was waning and our number dwindling. The sarissas to our right were immediately flanked by an enemy phalangites. Our allied caucasian spearmen and mercenary hoplites were being overwhelmed on our right and I could see the enemy starting to move to our rear.

The horns' ring vibrated the air. A quick glimpse to my right located the royal bodyguard charging the flanks of the enemy phalangitai as well as more of my fellow countrymen running away. My own animal instincts wished me to run, but the cries of my Basileus gave me a few more moments of confidence. However, it wasn't long before I ran as well.

I dropped my sarissa immediately and started heading off the battlefield. Again, I viewed my surroundings and saw the royal bodyguard charging into the backs of the enemy once more. That must've been at least the tenth time in the battle that they have done so. What shamed me was that the mercenaries were still standing their ground. That even they were still fighting made me mad at myself.

"Stand your ground! Look to your left! Even these mercenaries, who have absolutely no gain in this battle, are fighting!"

No less needed to be said. My comrades and I reformed and went back into the battle. But before we could even lower our sarissas, the enemy general charged. A cold chill coursed through my veins and, once more, my countrymen and I ran away.

My quick steps brought me back to the campground. Many of my mates died as their cavalry chased us. I hid behind a tree and waited for their cavalry to trot past. I made it back to the campground hours later.

The rest of the story I heard from the Basileus himself. By the time I had ran, everybody else had ran as well. Only the royal bodyguard stayed behind. It was to be expected. They were the most experienced, most trained, and most heavily equipped.

Though some may think what he did next to be a coward's way, he considered it strategy. He was a smart man.

He had already singlehandedly killed two commanders of the opposing army. The last one he lured away from the main force of the Seleukids, which was still at least five hundred strong, though no less tired and morale stricken as us. Having their generals dead caused their organization to suffer and they themselves were on the brink of collapse.

The Basileus fought the final commander of the army in combat. The difference in experience was very evident. It wasn't long before he was also sent to the afterlife.

However, in the middle of the fight, the Basileus had not noticed he was surrounded by the opposing army. Dead bodies littered the terrain. He wasn't even sure if the force confronting him was big or small. He had no chance to think. Though numerous, they were weak and tired. Ariarathes also had the advantage of speed.

He took out one contingent of the enemy and retreated to another ground so that only his front had the enemy.

Horses are naturally fearful creatures. Their first response to any danger is to bolt, but like that of great cavalrymen, the Basileus and his royal bodyguard have trained, slept, eaten, and verbalized with their horses since birth. By that time, the horse would not even need a command from their rider to know what to do. Their minds would have become linked and their spirits joined.

Any other person would have seen a sea of spears. All the Basileus saw was victory. His superior maneuverability and speed made circles around the enemy and charged home. Without their generals, the assailing army was senseless. Even their elite Galatikoi Tindanotae from the lands of Galatia routed from a few charges of the Basileus's heavy cavalry and insatiable thirst for victory.

It wasn't long before only two contingents of the enemy still stayed in the battlefield. It wasn't as if the royal bodyguard wasn't gaining casualties as well. By this time, the two sarissa contingents did not fear him anymore. They were also almost fully manned. The Basileus charged what must've been at least ten times before one of them routed, but by that time...

Only four of the royal bodyguard did not lay slain or injured on the battlefield. The Basileus had numerous wounds on his body, all on his front. His third right rib was cracked long ago. His left arm left unusable from a thrust of an enemy sarissa. His teeth was almost shattered from a blow of a longsword had not one of his favored men thrust his xyston into the chest of the enemy combatant in time.

But the battle was not over. The enemy was running towards him. They had dropped their sarissas long before, knowing it would be impossible to lower it in time. However, a final charge by the Basileus finally destroyed every thought of their victory.

At the end of the battle, the Basileus brought any man that could still walk back onto the battlefield to take care of the fallen and carry back the injured, as well as to capture any enemies still living for information before finally slaying them when they had expended their usefulness. In all, every man was injured in the battle, and two-thirds died. I had wounds in both my arms. The enemy army either all died or ran away, too shameful to ever fight again.

A few days later, we marched on Sardis and took it without incident. The inhabitants were actually looking for change. They did not like having such a large army on their lands all the time. The standard things necessary to take a city were still done. A few friends were made, a few enemies were killed. Apparently, we have reinforcements coming from the northeast in a year or two. Till then, we'll be resting in Sardis and healing ourselves with wine.

- Arsames, soldier of the sarissa

----------

Last edited by Korlon; 04-15-2008 at 07:49.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Great job! Keep it up!
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Great work keep it up

Chapter Eight: One Man's Thoughts

Spring, Twenty-third year (258 BCE)
    In the years previous, I have wandered the landscape before finally settling down in the city of Byzantion. Ariobarzanes Kianos, the previous Basileus of Pontos, was my employer until his tragic death six years ago on the seventeenth year of the Pontic Dynasty (264 BCE). Many believed his death to be a message from the Gods, to stop what he’s doing. Ariarathes, Ariobarzanes’s uncle, does not believe such a thing to be true and recent occurrences would show him to be correct.

After the Basileus’s death, I found myself and my abilities unused. I would’ve thought Ariarathes would put me in his employ at that moment. I used to be the first Basileus’s advisor as well before I moved on to advise the young Ariobarzanes. But such a thing did not happen, and now I’m a simple merchant pawning off my goods in the markets of the lands surrounding the Bosphorus. Working for the ruler of a kingdom has its rewards, influence and monetary. It did not matter that Pontos was a poor kingdom a few springs past; anybody willing to help a kingdom was practically furnished with goods fit for royalty. I had the intelligence to not frivolously spend my new wealth; the world of today is a rapidly changing one, anything can happen at any time, as was shown by the death of Ariobarzanes. Still, it is impossible to hold wealth forever.

My glorious education at the hands of the courts of the Pontic academies is being laid to waste in this rotting hellhole of a land. Still, the grounds are shining. Its people still smile. Crops grow back, rains dissipate, and the scars of war eventually vanish. My children also fill me with pride. My wife, lovely, but I can’t help but feel I could be doing something more than being a merchant.

Summer, Twenty-third year (258 BCE)
    Today, we’re moving on to Nikaia, where Ariobarzanes died, and where I attained this scar across my back. It’s only so long before you get tired of one town. I would consider myself a vigorous man, a man that cannot stay in one place. I had not noticed it when I was under the employ of the Basileus as we traveled constantly. New sights were always around the corner. I would have to leave the embrace of the group of friends I have grown to fond, but such things would have happened sooner or later, either in life or death.
    Summer, a day after
    We are currently awaiting the ferry to cross the Bosphorus.

Merchant ships of all shapes and sizes flow through this small strait of water, and Pontos controls all of it. In recent years, trade has made the Kingdom of Pontos prosperous and the Bosphorian strait has had no small part in that development. From what I’ve heard, its armies are growing exponentially thanks to their new source of income. The old Persian scythe chariots are finally being churned out, as well as some actual horsemen to accompany the phalangitai as Alexandros would have. Also, the army of Pontos must have produced a few veterans by now, during the previous decades of war. They probably already have elite contingents of these men formed up and on the move at this moment. With the superior wealth, probably with much better armor too. At the moment, I’m not sure if the leaders of Pontos wish to go back to the times of Persia or to form another Hellenistic nation, but it is surely growing, and doing so with immense speed.

Summer, two days after the previous
    We have arrived in the city of Nikaia. It has been long since I’ve ventured inside here. Buildings destroyed by the great earthquake were already restored to their previous glory. Like always, the marketplace is bustling with activity. We were determined travelers now. We sold our home in Byzantion and are now living on the road. No convincing was needed for her. She simply follows me and takes care of my children as well as the household. We’re still peddling our goods as we travel, but we’ll probably stay in Nikaia for a couple weeks. I’m sure I can make a bargain on some of these goods.

Autumn, Twenty-third year (258 BCE)
    One of my horses has come down with an illness. I’ll have to make my stay a bit longer than I wished. I’m also finding it increasingly difficult not to get involved in the affairs of Pontos. There were times where I was thought to be a spy, but nobody really knows everything. The information network of Pontos is quite poor.

Autumn, five days later
    Nikaia’s pretty much an inner city in the kingdom. There is a very small garrison stationed here. As of late, I’ve been contemplating the status of my parents. I wish to one day return to them, but it would take much doing to travel to Sinope. It’s been eight years since I last heard of them and I wish to tell them of my travels.

Another thing happened today. Merchants from the north brought along a fresh supply of Thraikioi slaves, brigands that stole from an unnamed village near the edge of the Bosphorus. A few of their eyes were still full of spirit while others already lost their sense of hope, their will to fight, their dynamis. While I respected such men, they were also worthy of scorn. It was at that point that I actively wished to return to the court of Pontos. These slaves, their own ambition to escape, fueled my own desires to escape my life of mediocrity. I’ve already made up my mind and will moving towards where the current Basileus is stationed come spring.

Spring, Twenty-fourth year (257 BCE)
    Merchants from the south have come once more. They say that Ipsos has been retaken by Pontos. So, on this day, I’ll be heading in that direction.

Spring, one day later

The leaves have already recovered on the limbs of trees, and the birds are again singing. Everywhere I go there are only dirt roads available. Traveling is long and difficult. Though, every city I have ever visited seems to have the best of sanitation and healthcare. With the low amount of population in Anatolia, the governors of Pontos have been promoting the growth and survival of the population rather than their military.

Spring, seven days later
    I have finally arrived in the city of Ipsos. The current governor is a step-son of Ariobarzanes, Antipatros Phabdaios, quite young at the age of twenty-nine, but very skilled. He is very likely to become the next Basileus. Before Ariobarzanes died, I had been promoted to his circle of most trusted advisors. During that time, I had met this step-son. Surely he’ll remember me and forward my wishes to the current Basileus.

It took much to forward my plea to meet him. He has granted my request for two days from now. Till then, I will be in the marketplace, buying a few items to show my respect.

Spring, two days later
    It appears I will be working under Antipatros now. As he is likely to be the next ruler I have no qualms about it. Even if he wasn’t, surely the life I have now will be much more exciting. It did not take much to convince him of my worth. He remembered me well as the intelligent and vigorous man I was under Ariobarzanes, and he thought well to employ me under his party.

Summer, Twenty-fourth year (257 BCE)
    Antipatros says we’re moving on now. In recent years, he’s been basically defeating only slaves, rebels, and brigands when he’s not governing the town. Since then, he’s gotten a little knack for commanding an army so he wishes to bring the fight to the enemy. For the past few years, armies have been recruited in Ankyra, Mazaka, and Amaseia. Now those armies will be put under the test of this man.

The treasuries of Pontos have been strained with the new addition to the military might. Antipatros says Ariarathes also has another army to the southwest with some Thraikioi allies coming from the northwest. He doesn’t know what Ariarathes is going to do with it, but chances are we will be warring with Makedonia soon.

My children will be staying behind. They're simply too young. My wife will also be taking care of them. So their residence will simply be in Ipsos. Antipatros was nice enough to find us a decent dwelling once I fell under his banner and now I'll be leaving.

We’re heading out tomorrow.

- Dionysios Herakleotes, advisor of Antipatros Phabdaios
    Last edited by Korlon; 04-16-2008 at 06:44.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

I like the way you switch viewpoints, it makes the kingdom come more alive. Perhaps you could do something with the fact that the pontic royal family is Persian, whilst many of it's citizens are hellens and anatolians. Pontos was a hellenized persian kingdom. Well it's just a suggestion, so do with it what you want.

Before I started this AAR, I hardly knew anything about Pontos. And since then I've only been able to research about 1-2 hours. I can't really find a lot of information on Pontos either.

And don't worry. I might try to do something about the citizens being mostly Greek. Though help is welcome. This is really the first time I've ever written any type of story.
    Last edited by Korlon; 04-16-2008 at 23:42.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Chapter Nine: A Soldier's Life

Halikarnassos. Once, Alexandros had come down to this very city and taken it. It is situated in the southwestern most portion of Anatolia. The great Mausoleion of Mausolus rests in the city as well as the wealth of history that come with it. Its population, recently “liberated” by the army of Pontos, still have much pride in their past, being that of inhabitants of the capital city of the Carians. But, just as quick as they took the city, they left it. The same system of government was still set in place. In the eyes of the common people, nothing had changed besides the soldiers stationed and the destination of the taxes. Every person went about their business once more. They toiled their lands, planted their crops, and harvested them. The children still played in the streets, the men still cheated on their wives, and the wives took care of their children. Brigands still roamed the streets, taking whatever valuables a traveler may have had, even if it was a donation to the Gods. Nothing changed except it was now a province of Pontos, another step on the conquest of the entirety of Anatolia.

Spring, Twenty-fifth year (256 BCE)

Arsames sighed.

It had been three years since the battle of Sardis. Though he ran from the battlefield, he was still given a medal of valor. Word had spread of his actions on the field and it was all positive. His rally, even if it was a futile one to begin with, greatly improved his status among the other soldiers. He was twenty-five years old, yet his complexion was that of an aged man. Nightmares about the day frequently loomed his sense of self though they have subsequently extinguished. After the battle, his injuries were horrendous. The rest of the soldiers suffered similar fates. Many simply died the following day. Many others the next until there were only a few left, Arsames being one of the lucky few. At times, he wondered if what he went through was only a dream rather than reality. None of his mates in the army survived; though he knew what he had done was a victory for the books, one that may be passed down from generation to generation as one of the most famous battles of all time.

Soon after the battle, he was sent back to his home, only he didn’t have a home left when he arrived. Before he left, six years ago, his father was the only surviving family member he had. His mother died in parturition and he was the only child. His second mother also came to an unfortunate end at the hands of an earthquake. His father never felt like getting a third wife after that, and now his father was missing as well. Nobody in his town knew exactly where he went. The house was stripped of all worth years ago. Not even a rusty pan was spared. Some of the foundation was even taken as firewood.

He still had few friends in town, though many went into the fight years ago. After Sardis, he had sold much of the loot on the battlefield to merchants at Sardis, though with the new influx of armor and arms, he wasn’t compensated too well. Still, he had wealth equaling that of five families in his town. It also didn’t take much to convince some of his family friends to take him in for a while.

The town was just outside of Amaseia, the capital city of Pontos. He had entered the soldiery through a recruiter that had come to his town six years ago, promising tales of riches, glory, and excitement. Of course, at this he was intrigued and he immediately joined even at the ill wishes of his father. Arsames felt very sad, and increasingly angry at that moment. Soon, he went to the city of Amaseia to find his new life.

First searches weren’t good. A large number of the enslaved had come from the west, mainly defeated soldiers as well as disgruntled civilians of a newly conquered city. As such, it was difficult to obtain a good paying job. His starting wealth was good, but it wouldn’t last forever. He was also too old to be taken as an apprentice to a new trade, so he hired himself to be a worker of everything. People of all trades hired him for work. He accepted any type of work that was given, though very few was begotten.

Two years went by before he finally ran out of money. A series of lies and scams finally did him in. He was a soldier, not a trader. At that moment, he had no idea what to do. At that point, all he had was his shield, passed down from his father through his father and possibly even more generations. It was at the moment of his contemplation that he heard another recruiter. The kingdom was looking for new soldiers once more, for a second army to be accompanied next to the one already in place, this one, however, made up of mostly experienced men. Upon hearing this, Arsames, without hesitation, recruited himself into the army. He was a known man, a veteran from the battle of Sardis, and so was accepted without a hint of vacillation.

He still used the sarissas, but was given better equipment. He was now considered a Chalkispides, a Bronze Shield, a part of the elite phalangitai of the Pontic kingdom. He was given a shield covered with a layer of bronze, much stronger than what he had used back in the day. This new group of soldiers was also equipped with bronze greaves, shielding their legs from possible enemy attack. It did not take a long time to see that many of his fellow soldiers were there at the battle of Sardis. A lot of their wounds had healed since then, just like Arsames’s were. They either were sent back here for retraining and refurbishing or they went the same route as Arsames did, wandering the countryside before finally deciding to join the army once more.

They drilled nonstop, day after day. Those who have been out of it for a number of years were not treated any differently from those that have been in the army consecutively. Arsames remembered back to his first drill six years ago. The physical exhaustion had been unbearable. He had undergone strain, but nothing of this kind. They lifted the sarissas and brought it down again for what seemed to be years. They marched in formation with the sarissa brought down for kilometers at a time. And all this in the hot festering sun. Current drills were much harder in comparison, but at the very least Arsames had the experience already. Every night on a march they had drilled before going to sleep. It wasn’t long before Arsames finally headed out. He would be going under the command Antipatros Phabdaios, a young man of rising status and power. It wouldn’t take much for him to assume command of the kingdom in time, and he finally felt it was time to command his own army. As how would you control a kingdom if you can’t even control an army?

“Time to go.”
    Last edited by Korlon; 04-17-2008 at 06:41.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Chapter Ten: A Tale of Two Battles

“I think I’ve found something professor!”

We were on what used to be a great plain of grassland in Turkey, right off the coast of the island of Lesbos. We had finally obtained permission from the government of Turkey to search the grounds of what could’ve been an ancient battle between the armies of Pontus and Macedonia.

“You know Georgy-boy, this is exactly the evidence we need to confirm the writings of that book we found three decades ago!

“You mean the one by Dionysios Herakleotes Dr. Wilson?”

Dr. Wilson reached down to examine the javelin shaft. “Exactly George. And in that book, it said the Macedonian army had used an extensive amount of javelineers on that day.”

I looked over the dig-site. It was absolutely massive in scale. This type of grueling archaeology costed virtually hundreds and thousands of man-hours, as well as millions of dollars in expenditure. Within days, more and more battle armaments were found. Hundreds of javelin pieces were eventually recovered, as well as a few pieces of spears that may have been a sarissas. Helmets, armor, shields, and bones were also found in the next few years of excavation, while we went off to look at another battle site that was also mentioned in Herakleotes’s book.

“According to the translation of the book we found, this battle was fought simultaneously with the one at the coast near Lesbos professor.”

“Indeed. And in order to prove the validity of the history of this book, we need to test this ground as well.”

The Pontic army on the western end of Anatolia was headed by the king of that time, Ariarathes Herakleotes. We do not know too much about him right now as this book is still being translated laboriously. He faced a man named Zaikedenthes. A reinforcing army led by Euchrous Mitylenaios was close behind when the battle began. Not much is known about Mitylenaios either.

The battle that took place here, near the ancient city of Side, which has now become a very popular tourist region, was between the army of the Ptolemaic Kingdom and army of the Pontic Kingdom. This battle was lesser in scale than the one to the west, but it was still a very large battle. The army of Pontus was lead by a man named Antipatros Phabdaios. On the Ptolemaic side, a man named Mnasimachos led the army, but Mnasimachos wasn’t a very great leader, which was probably one of the reasons why he lost the battle.

A number of days passed in the excavation before we found something. My friend Sorin apparently found a dart tip.

“The book does say there were a lot of javelineers here as well.”

Of course, the same thing happened as near Lesbos. Javelin tips by the multitudes were found. Wooden shields, Thracian-style helmets, bones, that of horses and men, as well as round, lead shots were also found. Other armaments and equipment appeared as well. It was the motherlode of all excavations. Ten years from now, we would be practically experts in the field and well regarded as one of the greatest discoverers of all time. But right now, all we can do is wait as more excerpts from the book were translated.

The book’s finally been translated up to the end of the battles. I obtained a copy right after and began reading.

….

Summer, Twenty-fifth year (256 BCE)

At the time, I was traveling with Antipatros. He was no Ariobarzanes, but can any man be another? He made it strong that he would lead the army to victory. He also made it clear that anything that might lead to the collapse of the army would be dealt with strictly. I tell of an event just two days after crossing into the border of the Ptolemaioi. A fight had broken out within the ranks. Two men were arguing. I had no idea what it was about, but it was most likely a trivial matter. What Antipatros believed was that training would develop discipline and discipline would be the key to winning. With that, he worked the two men, hard. They attained no sleep. Every waking moment was done running. Rest was minimal. After they broke, Antipatros still went on with the regiment. Once he was done, the two men would never cause trouble ever again. Similarly, the tales of Antipatros’ apparent cruelty also prevented other men from causing trouble all the same.

At the same moment, Ariarathes was on march to the town of Mytilene on the island of Lesbos. It was a heavily Hellenized town, just like the rest of the cities and towns of Anatolia. It was still held by the army of Makedonia, and pretty heavily garrisoned. One of the men I questioned years later told me Ariarathes’s decision to declare war on Makedonia was one he had already imagined as a child. In his early years, just like that of the many other members of the Persian family ruling Pontos, he had learned about the conquest of Megas Alexandros. Ariarathes never only wanted to only conquer Anatolia, he wished to conquer all that which Alexandros did as well. And, of course, the first step would be taking the cities of the nation which produced such a man, Makedonia. With the recent addition to the military prowess, he knew such a war could be properly manned. The other army can fight off the armies of Ptolemaioi and Arche Seleukeia while his can battle the army of Makedonia.

Meanwhile, at our end, Antipatros had received word of a large Ptolemaioi army just outside the city of Side. No proper numbers were given, but it was sufficiently large to be a threat. While at the island of Lesbos, Ariarathes blockaded all entrance to the city of Mytilene.

In the years after that battle, we discovered an information network between the Makedonai and the Ptolemaioi. Information must have exchanged between them as they chose to attack both of our armies simultaneously on both ends. Ariarathes led the party to the west while Antipatros led the party to the east.

In both battles, the armies were placed in traditional format, phalangitai in the center while the more flexible troops were placed on the sides. The stronger troops were placed on the right, as the right side did not have the pleasure of a shield. Missiles either behind or in front of the army with those in front moving backwards as the enemy came closer.

The Makedonian reinforcements the battle to the west had to cross a very narrow isthmus, which was probably the reason for the overwhelming win for Ariarathes, while the commander of the Ptolemaioi to the east was basically a coward, a man who had no talent for command, which was probably the reason for the overwhelming win for Antipatros.

Both enemy armies advanced on that day. Antipatros’s starting position was poor, so he had moved his army as well at the start of the battle, while the army of Ariarathes was perfectly positioned, which perfectly showed his better commanding abilities.

While the slingers of Ariarathes slinged their deadly lead bullets, the army of Antipatros laid in wait while the Ptolemaioi charged.

In reality, the two battles were incomparable. The horrendous command of Mnasimachos made it not a battle, but rather a slaughter. We had recently acquired a weapon from the old days of the Persian Empire, the Scythe Chariot. It was a weapon that inspired fear within the ranks of the enemy. Its blades were designed in such a way so that whichever way it turned, one would always face the enemy. With only one look at such a monstrosity, the enemy buckled and ran. In the battle to the west, the army was mostly comprised of levies and weakly armored men, while in the east, it was comprised of experienced infantry with a heavy component of cavalry. The speed in which Antipatros destroyed the opposing army was unrivaled. In the west, however, the battle was still on while Antipatros was mopping up the routers of the opposing Ptolemaioi.

The reinforcing army of Makedonia had split into many pieces in order to eventually converge upon the army of Pontos from all sides. The Makedonai army had many light skirmishers in their midst, as did the army of the Ptolemaioi to the east. The army of Antipatros, however, had the advantage of a huge contingent of cavalry, while that of Ariarathes only had his royal bodyguard as well as the help of a few mercenary light horse from Illyria. He also faced a much larger army.

Ariarathes had six brigades of sarissas. Unwieldy weapons of war they were. Even with commanding abilities of Ariarathes, it did not take long for them to start losing sense of self and location. The men were bumping into one another as they tried to march towards the faster, lighter enemy. However, once they reached their target, the force they wielded lacked no weakness.

Because the enemy was trying to converge upon the enemy, Ariarathes thought to bring the fight to them while they were still separated. It wasn’t long before the battle began to take the form of two battles, one the eastern side of the battlefield as well as one in the center.

The phalangitai was the main force in both while Ariarathes himself thought to use the power of his horsemen to break the enemy force in the center. The enemy general was fighting, and he was fighting hard. His own actions build upon the morale of the entire army and Ariarathes knew that once he died, the army would fall apart shortly after.

On the eastern side, enemy phalangitai fought. Once their sarissas broke, they took to fighting with their swords and axes. The entire army was exhausted, but they knew they had to continue. The voice of Ariarathes filled the air and while he still stood, nobody else could fall.

Meanwhile, Antipatros was chasing the enemy with his army. He found them on the road to Side. It didn’t take much to take care of that army as well.

While on Ariarathes’s battle, after a series of charges, the enemy general finally crumbled. Not moments later, the entire army routed. Seeing their general laying dead upon their feet shook their bodies with fear. They were untrained men, they rout at the first sight of defeat rather than standing strong and protecting the body of their commander.

On this day, two battles were fought and two were won. Thousands, upon thousands died in the useless carnage. Side and Mytilene were taken shortly after the battles were over. The men were tired and battered. Practically all of the soldiers of Ariarathes fell to the ground and slept for what seemed like forever at the end of it all. The soldiers of Antipatros had it better. Some didn’t even get to fight as the scythe chariots slashed bone and muscle off the routing enemy. The nation of Makedonia did not see the last of Pontos, nor did the Ptolemaioi.

I closed my eyes and tried to imagine the battles. Such glorious kingdoms, now practically nonexistent. Whatever was left of the people of Pontus had moved to Greece, and now, with the blending, practically no pure Pontic people exist. Such a shame, but empires rise and fall. I’m sure the same will happen now and in the future.

------

Last edited by Korlon; 04-17-2008 at 16:19.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

well that was cool. Using an archeologists point of view was a stroke of genius. This AAR just get's better and better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast