Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NEW Fix for CTD when starting campaign (Nvidia, High End Cards)

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: NEW Fix for CTD when starting campaign (Nvidia, High End Cards)

Apart from Win 8, what are your system specs? Video card, memory, etc.?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Apart from Win 8, what are your system specs? Video card, memory, etc.?
    AMD bulldozer 8 core,
    16mb ram,
    Ati 7850 hd graphics card

It runs most of the old games that i tried but i think that the medieval 1 is the oldest that i have tried until now.

Have you applied the button fix patch? ATI cards have generally been kind to MTW, but it still might help. You can also try running in WinXP or Win2000 compatibility mode.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Resolution fix might help too but... as drone wrote if campaign doesn't start with compatibility mode and button fix, there is very little hope.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Yeah unfortunately i tried all of those solutions none worked. I have been searching through the net and it seems that its a common issue with other windows 8 users. from now on i wont have high hopes but if u guys see a solution somewhere please let me know. And thanks.

I don't know anything about Win 8 (apart from the fact that I will never purchase it), but I assume the live tiles and start screen screw with MTW.

You might want to try running in Debug Mode. Copy the MTW shortcut (if that's even possible in 8), name the copy something like "Debug MTW", and edit the target to something like:
    Code:
    "C:\games\Medieval - Total War\Medieval_TW.exe" D
    adding the D to the end.

This will open MTW in a 800x600 window. You will have to change the campaign and battle resolutions to 800x600 (sad, I know), but it might get you going.

Member thankful for this post:

You' re right. I might help but D has nothing to do with resolution. Main menu is always 800x600 but size of a campaign or battle map window will be exactly the same as you set in options. The window sticks to the upper left corner and it depends on you how much of the screen it'll cover. During testing I play using 1200x900 (17" 1440x900) and it works nice and smooth (but I use win XP).
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Member thankful for this post:

Ok guys i will give it a try. Thanks alot for the help.

Hey guys,

Having the same issue here.

Running Win7 64bit.
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.83GHz
    4.00GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+

Have tried to download the 'button fix' files but can't seem to find a still-active download link. Appears to have been removed from rapidshare?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards,
    Andy.

Try the "Local Link" found in my edit of the first post, that will get you to the file we have hosted here.

Welcome to the Org!

Hey, I've been trying to play Medieval on my Acer Aspire Laptop, It's got an Intel i7-2630qm processor and an Nvidia Geforce GT 540M on Windows 7. A few months ago I was playing it and it didn't CTD once, until I got to a certain year in my campaign, as soon as the year started the program "stopped working" and it CTD. Now when I go on the campaign, it either crashes as soon as I get onto the strategy map, regardless of whether I make a new save, or it will crash maybe one or two years later. I tried the compatibility administrator thing but it said the program was 32 bit so it wouldn't fix it, I haven't tried the button fix so if that would help could someone tell me how to do that?

Welcome to the Org, Jedleh!

You can download the patch from post#1 of this thread, the "Local link" at the bottom is valid. The patch is just a zip file with 2 files inside, button_ipnext.BIF and button_ipprev.BIF. You want to put those 2 files in the campmap\buttons directory of your MTW install (rename the existing ones if you want to keep them around). That's pretty much all you have to do, hopefully it gets you going again!

why it still doesn't work?

packard bell
    EasyNote TJ65
    Pentium(R) Dual Core CPU T4500 2.30 GHz
    Sistema operativo a 64 bit

I want MTW!! I need MTW!!

Are you running Win7 or 8? Along with the patch from post#1, you might need to run MTW in WinXP/2000 compatibilty mode. I believe the GPU in that machine will work with Medieval.

Welcome to the Org, Matteo5883! I like your MTW enthusiasm.

Thanks for this fix! 6 years and a few video cards ago I got it working by back dating driver, I didn't really want to do that again. (don't know if I can) This works great! For the sake of helping any one interested, I'm running a AMD Sempron at 1.8 GHz, 1 gig of ram, a GeForce 8400 GS also with a gig of ram (if anyone wants to start playing violyn) I haven't got a new game since Company of Heroes came out. Discovered Europa Barbarorum about a year ago and have been hammering Roma Surrectum II 2.6 for about a month now. MTW is really a great old game and I'm getting back into it. For how long, who knows?
    Last edited by panther2; 09-18-2013 at 14:07. Reason: update

button_ipnext.BIF and button_ipprev.BIF in the "Medieval - Total War\campmap\buttons" Folder.
    +
    Hello, My name is Agustin, my pleasure meeting you. I want to use that fix, but cant file those files u ment ion in the xl el folders. u mean i have to get them from a clean instaL of mtw??

thnaks anyway it seems it truly works!

The CTD occurs when the game tries to render the original (vanilla) versions of those files. The fix is to replace them with new button files created for the Napolean MTW mod (you can get those two files from the links at the bottom of the first post in this thread), these new button images do not cause the crash for whatever reason. So you just need to take those two .bif files from the downloaded patch, and place them in the campmap\buttons directory (relative to the top level dir the game is installed at).

Hope that helps!

damn, now I figured out howa was the stuff (Thanks drone) it seems the rapidshare link is down, were can i find the mentioned napoleon mod to starct them from there??
    thank u lovely community

Try the local link here at the Org.

drone, are u really a drone?? cause u fast mate!!
    THAAANCX!!!

im gonna try it right now and tell u guys if it woorks on a pci integrated graphic device, it seems this intel stuff is really crapy, not even can play eu3 properly!!

Thank to the gods and this good lad's files!
    yep!
    it works, at least it helped me, (integrated grapichs users should use this)
    now im whooping butts with sotland!!

ehem but by the way, anywone nows if u can build chapter houses with scotish or nordish ppl? cause im añready castle lvl 3 and can build cathedral but no crusader house!! (for recruiting crusdae)

Hi all,

thanks for the link,

I tried to place the two files but it still doesn't work.

My computer:
    Windows 7
    Acer
    Aspire5732Z
    Pentium(R) Dual-Core Cpu T4400 @ 2.20GHz
    RAM 2.00 Go
    64 bits

I have the two version of the game: for windows 7 and for 98/2000/xp, both of them crash when I start campaign...

Someone could help a poor sad french guy?

Thanks
    Last edited by charles58; 03-13-2014 at 23:56.

Welcome to the Org, charles58!

Quick Googling the Aspire shows that it has the Intel GMA 4500 series video adapter, which does not bode well for getting MTW running. Can you verify that this is your video adapter?

Thank you for the welcome and the quick answer!

Yes I am running with the nasty Intel GMA 4500M... So there is nothing to do?
    I'm upset, I love Total war series, I bought recently Empire+Napoléon, I can't install it because there is a problem with steam server connection,
    so I bought my favourite, the old MTW for windows 7 and even this one leave me alone...

Ok, after 658 tries, steam works. Empire installation is running. Only 10h30 to wait... But no dream, i made a search, you're right, my video adapter sucks.

The Intel adapters cause fits for MTW unfortunately. If you have time to waste, you could experiment with VMWare, but I doubt it will get you anywhere.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

My turn to have graphic card issues with MTW.

My specs:

Intel Quad Core i5 2.40GHZ
    8 GB RAM DDR3
    nVIDIA GeForce GT555M - 2GB video card memory
    750GB HDD

Windows 7 64-bit

Now, the issue at hand is the fact that around 1095 my campaign goes bust. I can play for 10-15 turns or so, and then bam, CTD. No matter what I do, it crashes.

I didn't try the button fix yet, I just worked around with the Compatibility Mode and I'm using the Integrated Graphics Processor since the Nvidia card causes endless flickering.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Is it always 1095? That's the Deus Volt year, maybe the event is causing the crash.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Not always 1095. It's also 1088 and I experienced 1091 as well.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

None of these fixes work with win 8 unfortunately as the game won't even go past the legals splash screen. Is there any fix anyone has recently discovered on windows 8 (Even if it requires these fixes as well)? I heard the game doesn't like intel gpu's as well which my laptops is (Intel HD graphics 3000- can run rome 2 on low settings ok surprisingly btw)
    Last edited by Chrissher; 08-03-2014 at 16:18.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast