Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Replay Viewer

Default Re: Replay Viewer

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
    Yeah, real life kind of got in the way, with University and everything. I can see if I can dig up what I had, I know it's somewhere on my computer (or backup). I also don't have RTW with me at the minute, I would have to go and pick it up.

Edit - I bought RTW on Steam. Cheaper than a train ticket back to my parents' house, I suppose.
    I'm really impressed with what you've done so far, you're either a genius and/or a masochist... I've tried unlocking these data streams before and, frankly, it hurts. You've managed to do what no-one else seems to have..., really, really good work.

I've started the prelimanary work on a mod of my own, based around EB and have started with the grandest ideas, and then looked to scale back those plans as and when the limitations of the RTW engine and it's peripharies (such as SAV. files) demand. What you have here might.., just might, allow me to keep the grand scale I was originally looking for.

But, I'm all too aware of how real life gets in the way of such things, and I'm not here to nag. Good luck with your uni, and keep us updated with progress on this. Stunning work mate

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Sempronius Gracchus View Post
    I'm really impressed with what you've done so far, you're either a genius and/or a masochist... I've tried unlocking these data streams before and, frankly, it hurts. You've managed to do what no-one else seems to have..., really, really good work.

But, I'm all too aware of how real life gets in the way of such things, and I'm not here to nag. Good luck with your uni, and keep us updated with progress on this. Stunning work mate
    Thanks. Yes, the masochist bit sounds about right, I like a good puzzle . However, going wrong usually means a CTD, which sometimes makes things slow going.

I finished Uni about a month ago anyway, so looking into this would give me something else to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Sempronius Gracchus View Post
    I've started the prelimanary work on a mod of my own, based around EB and have started with the grandest ideas, and then looked to scale back those plans as and when the limitations of the RTW engine and it's peripharies (such as SAV. files) demand. What you have here might.., just might, allow me to keep the grand scale I was originally looking for.
    Hopefully the savegame stuff can be helpful, just depends what you want to do really.

Well, things are going better than I thought they would. I've almost managed to reliably parse to the end of a save file - by reliably parse I mean I either understand what the data means, or I can figure out how much of it there is and skip over it. I've tried not to skip over too much stuff and I only skip 30% of the file at the minute. Because there are a lot of repeated sections I can quickly reduce this amount by figuring out small parts, which is what I'll be doing soon.

I've also figured out a few things that were confusing me before, such as visibility information. I'm also writing a specification document for the save format that I'm updating as I go along - it probably won't be 100% accurate since I'm only working from observation, but it should be useful anyway.

I've also figured out a few things that were confusing me before, such as visibility information. I'm also writing a specification document for the save format that I'm updating as I go along - it probably won't be 100% accurate since I'm only working from observation, but it should be useful anyway.
    This sounds hauntingly familiar to what some employees do here:

You sure you don't work there?
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

You make it sound so simple..., and I know its not. I think you may be a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    This sounds hauntingly familiar to what some employees do here:

You sure you don't work there?
    Ha, the building I work in is much, much, much smaller.

In other news, I can now find out how many seconds (well, frames, but seconds can be extrapolated) a game has been going on for! Hurray for sort of useful information!

Ha, the building I work in is much, much, much smaller.

In other news, I can now find out how many seconds (well, frames, but seconds can be extrapolated) a game has been going on for! Hurray for sort of useful information!
    That's more than useful. If there was a piece of software that, given a save file, would either read (output to screen, PRINT) or produce (output to file, FILE) such meta-data, it'd be lovely!
    Former Projects:

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    That's more than useful. If there was a piece of software that, given a save file, would either read (output to screen, PRINT) or produce (output to file, FILE) such meta-data, it'd be lovely!
    That's one of the eventual goals. I have one from a while ago, but it isn't reliable since I knew much less about the format back then.

Well I thought I would just post a mini update. I've figured out a lot more stuff*, and I'm getting close to the point where I can start working on an editor properly. Also, I finally got around to having a look at a M2TW save file, and it looks almost identical - obviously there are a few extra bits and bobs for the new features, but it's not like I would have to start from scratch. I was concerned that after EB2 came out it would have been a bit of a waste of time, but it looks like working on both Rome and Medieval at the same time will help to move my knowledge of both formats along.

* Stuff I figured out since I last posted : Siege weapon construction, character paths, settlement captured/battle dialog windows, battle statistics, pirate and brigand spawns.

This thread is cool.

Niiiiice. So how was your summer?

I remember seeing you editing family trees through the savegame files on your website. Didn't you switch a boy to a girl? And marry a family member to a city? Honestly, a savegame editor would be... glorious.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 09-01-2010 at 23:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    Niiiiice. So how was your summer?

I remember seeing you editing family trees through the savegame files on your website. Didn't you switch a boy to a girl? And marry a family member to a city? Honestly, a savegame editor would be... glorious.
    Oh it would, indeed, be glorious....especially if one were able to run mutliple instances of EB......

Oh it is possible to run multiple instances of EB side by side: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...ate+unofficial
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Oh it is possible to run multiple instances of EB side by side: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...ate+unofficial
    I know...it was your mod here that got me thinking about the possibilities of that and the replay viewer (save game editor...). I was very impressed with this. Can I ask a couple of questions though. I tried the setting to run it in a window, and to then run a second instance (I wanted to see how my PC would deal with such heavy use..) and it just ran full screen....?? How do I get two instances running? Also, the one problem that I encountered with the AI only facility was that... I couldn't start the 'show me how' script - is there a workaround for that?

Cheers.

To run two instances of EB side by side you'd run them in windowed mode and use the multirun option. Then you can Alt+Tab between the two.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Well I thought I would just post a mini update. I've figured out a lot more stuff*, and I'm getting close to the point where I can start working on an editor properly. Also, I finally got around to having a look at a M2TW save file, and it looks almost identical - obviously there are a few extra bits and bobs for the new features, but it's not like I would have to start from scratch. I was concerned that after EB2 came out it would have been a bit of a waste of time, but it looks like working on both Rome and Medieval at the same time will help to move my knowledge of both formats along.

* Stuff I figured out since I last posted : Siege weapon construction, character paths, settlement captured/battle dialog windows, battle statistics, pirate and brigand spawns.
    Just bumping this thread to ask...any more progress on this? A save-game editor, or even access to save-game data (in a congruent, readable form) has so many possible uses....

Unfortunately I've not really had time to work on savegame stuff. I'll probably get back into it when I finish some of my other projects, or when EB 2 gets released (MTW2 and RTW saves are pretty similar).

JEBMMP Creator & AtB Maker Member jirisys's Avatar

Never surrender chris! We love you! Have our babies!

~Jirisys ()
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Because we all need to compensate...

Quote Originally Posted by jirisys View Post
    Never surrender chris! We love you! Have our babies!

~Jirisys ()
    This is total spam.

Chris if you're reading this, do you still have the source? If you can use some help just PM me.
    Former Projects:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123