Thread: The TSA should be disbanded

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default The TSA should be disbanded

The Transportation Security Adminstration (TSA) is the federal agency that runs the security checkpoints at airports. It was formed after the 9/11 attacks in the belief that having the feds control airport security would somehow help.

It hasn't, of course, and has only led to many allegations of inappropriate behavior against the TSA agents by travelers, and no improvement (maybe a decrease) in the quality of security provided - seeing as how they fail covert tests by missing weapons and fake bombs.

I submit to you this article:
    http://cbs2chicago.com/investigation....2.777423.html

At that point, Perry was standing in his underwear in public view. He asked to see a supervisor. That made things worse.

"She was yelling 'I have power, I have power, I have power," Perry said. The power to stop him from flying to Florida with his wife that day to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.
    Would the re-privatization solve bad workers? No. But I think it'd make bad workers easier to fire, and easier to apply pressure to the security groups doing the screening. Right now all you can do is complain to a government that tells you to eff off. But the government is always more willing to crack down on private companies than itself.

(Fun factoid - government safety regulations under OSHA don't apply to government employees!)

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Awaiting the Rapture Member rotorgun's Avatar

Default Re: The TSA should be disbanded

Definately should have been handled more professionally, such as taking the people aside and into a private setting. There was no need to huniliate a person, just to show someone how much authority one has. I still believe that tough security is the best way to ensure that terrorists can never attack us again in a 9/11 way. I do think that there needs to be oversight of the process. Perhaps it would be a better use of our military than the current regime is making use of them now.
    Rotorgun
    ...the general must neither be so undecided that he entirely distrusts himself, nor so obstinate as not to think that anyone can have a better idea...for such a man...is bound to make many costly mistakes
    Onasander

Editing my posts due to poor typing and grammer is a way of life.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rotorgun View Post
    I still believe that tough security is the best way to ensure that terrorists can never attack us again in a 9/11 way.
    Wha? You mean, hijacking a passenger jet and using it as a weapon? You think ground security is preventing that?

Friend, that was a one-shot trick. The passengers and staff were passive because that's what they'd been told to do in a hijacking. Just stay cool, let the authorities negotiate with them, don't do anything foolish and you all will live. The hijackers knew this and used it to their advantage.

But what group of passengers will ever take the passive role after the attacks of 9/11? Hell, once they heard on the airphones that the planes were being used as weapons, didn't the passengers of United 93 run riot and take down their captors? Didn't passengers assault and disable Richard Reid the minute they figured out he was up to something?

No, passenger-plane-as-bomb will not work again, not in our lifetime. There's no way the civilians on board will allow a small number of evil smacktards to take over a plane in peace.

Seriously, you think the mouth-breathing power-mad idiots in the TSA are preventing such an attack? They're doing security theater, not security.
    Last edited by Lemur; 07-24-2008 at 03:40. Reason: Frickin' typeos — I can't seem to type a sentence without them.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

There never really was any justification for the TSA. The weapons that the 9/11 highjackers used to take over planes were ones that were perfectly legal for them to carry on. The private screeners didn't fail at their job so much as the regulations failed in allowing such knives to be carried on.

But the TSA isn't going anywhere. That's not the way government works- it only grows.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

These security checks have created an interesting opportunity for terrorists. I don't know how the situation is in the US, but at our main airport, the line to get through the security checkpoint is HUGE. At least some hundred people all placed in a small area. Doesn't anyone see the potential for setting off a bomb in the middle of that?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

The 11th of September 2001 was manna from heaven for the political elite. They've been waiting for years to oppress the voters and now they have an almighty excuse.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

A government agency that sucks, let me put on my surprised face.

I know, maybe if we had a government agency run our health care system it would work. With so many failures in a row they have got to have a winner anytime.
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

What is wrong with the TSA ?
    Only people who have something to hide have anything to worry about .
    Its for your own good .
    It might seem a little over the top for you euro-weenies but you must understand the neccesity of these measures
    Howya doing

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Does even CR hate freedom nowadays ?
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

For those of us in the US, before 9/11 the most direct contact we had with our governments and the services that they offered was through either the DMV or the IRS. Neither of those are pleasant experiences. I don't see any reason why we should expect anything different from the TSA.

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore
    These security checks have created an interesting opportunity for terrorists. I don't know how the situation is in the US, but at our main airport, the line to get through the security checkpoint is HUGE. At least some hundred people all placed in a small area. Doesn't anyone see the potential for setting off a bomb in the middle of that?
    Don't give the TSA any ideas. They will institute a pre-security checkpoint for the security checkpoint in an attempt to prevent your scenario.

High fuel prices and the craptastic experience that is air-travel these days may very well kill of our airline industry. Charging for checked baggage and snacks is just the beginning. I would not be surprised if they decide to charge for toilet time soon. I've got a trip coming in October that I am not looking forward to at all.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Don't give the TSA any ideas. They will institute a pre-security checkpoint for the security checkpoint in an attempt to prevent your scenario.

Funny memories of having to try and get out of NY after 11/9 but before the patriot act , pure chaos with two full on checks before you got into the terminal , thousands of people crammed into enlosed spaces and most of them arabs , one of them might have had some baggage that weny boomscared I was I tell ya , all them potential terrorists in one place trying desperately to get onto a flying bomb once the planes had started flying again .
    Its amazing how many people over there said I should change airline because it would be full of arab terrorists though .

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Important TSA training manual leaked to teh internets:

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Brillant, Lemur, thanks for sharing.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    Does even CR hate freedom nowadays ?
    If he's like most on the US right-wing, he's been supporting Bush as much (more?) for the ghastly alternatives so far provided by the opposition than for any other reason. You won't hear most of us right-wing types lauding Bush as a fellow conservative.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken