Thread: New members to the Security Council.

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Default New members to the Security Council.

If you expected new permanent seats, you're out of luck.

I'm shocked Mexico made it. I was expecting, say, another Brazilian term or Argentinan.

Thoughts?
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Default Re: New members to the Security Council.

It's completely useless anyways, so I can't say I mind too much either way.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Uganda?!

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

I say we shift the permanent seats/vetos to:

Monaco, Lichtenstein, San Marino, Fiji, & the Vatican.

Then reduce all of the others to observer status.

Things would get sorted out in no time.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Does anyone here actually support expanding the Permanent Seats?

I think countries like Germany, and Japan, both economic and military powers should have a permnent seat.

Meh, I haven't enjoyed the League of Nations, aka the U.N., in a long time.
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : New members to the Security Council.

Completely useless this. They ought to limit membership to just the five permanent members. The other states can then plead and grovel with the permanent member in whose sphere of influence they reside to see to their interests.

Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Default Re: Re : New members to the Security Council.

I think the security council needs to be expanded and the permentent members powers curtailed. Right now its a joke when less then 10% of earth's countries have a voice in the U.N. Not to mention that Veto means no slightly conterversial issue gets resolved.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishFish View Post
    Unfortunately, what the people want is irrelevant.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

I think countries like Germany, and Japan, both economic and military powers should have a permnent seat.

Meh, I haven't enjoyed the League of Nations, aka the U.N., in a long time.
    I sure do. Make the veto power rotating, and a 2/3 majority to get stuff passed along with a couple new members. Germany and Japan are both fine choices. South Korea would be good also.

Can we find a better format for the UNSC?

Debate: UN Security Council Reform in 2020 (2008 edition):
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=105415

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

I think the overriding veto suggestion is a good one. With the current permanent members all having veto powers, nothing is likely to ever pass the SC unless it really is non controversial at all, i.e. trivial. I suppose only measures targeting Africa and possibly the MidEast will pass the current one.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir View Post
    I think the overriding veto suggestion is a good one. With the current permanent members all having veto powers, nothing is likely to ever pass the SC unless it really is non controversial at all, i.e. trivial. I suppose only measures targeting Africa and possibly the MidEast will pass the current one.
    No, stuff relating to the Middle East will not past, at least not the important stuff (Especially in relation to the Israel-Palestine conflict. The US still has a veto on anything not staunchly pro-Israel and Russia will veto anything that helps US interests in the region.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Thoughts?
    Yes, yet another excellent opportunity for the U.S. to pull out of a dated non relevant institution who's primary function has been outlived by at least 20 years.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte