Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts & Commentary on the Obama Administration

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: The Inauguration of President Barack H. Obama

Judd Gregg Withdraws as Commerce Secretary Nominee
    “It has become apparent during this process that this will not work for me as I have found that on issues such as the stimulus package and the Census, there are irresolvable conflicts for me,” Mr. Gregg said in a statement. “Prior to accepting this post, we had discussed these and other potential differences, but unfortunately we did not adequately focus on these concerns. We are functioning from a different set of views on many critical items of policy.
    I never understood why Gregg ever contemplated the nomination to begin with- glad to see he changed his mind. I'd guess the census issue was probably the final straw.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 02-12-2009 at 22:54.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

His nomination has been catching flak from minorities over the control of the 2010 census. He apparently opposed some changes for the 2000 census, I guess the heat got to be too much.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Apparently everyone and his dog has a theory about why, exactly Gregg walked away from Commerce. The bloggers are all pontificating, at greater length and with more vehemence than you'll see here. I expect the talking heads on cable to go on about for at least a full 24-hour news cycle.

I don't get the impression that anybody yet has the authoritative take on why Gregg went back to the Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    His nomination has been catching flak from minorities over the control of the 2010 census. He apparently opposed some changes for the 2000 census, I guess the heat got to be too much.
    As far as I know, Obama had already said that the census would be taken out of the Commerce Department and put under the direct control of the White House. I'm sure that didn't sit well with Gregg. I'm not comfortable with it either- some of the sampling ideas I've heard kicked around are very questionable Constitutionally.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    As far as I know, Obama had already said that the census would be taken out of the Commerce Department and put under the direct control of the White House.
    Gregg was also fully aware of the stimulus bill.

"We need a robust [stimulus package]. I think the one that's pending is in the range we need. I do believe it's a good idea to do it at two levels, which this bill basically does, which is immediate stimulus and long-term initiatives which actually improve our competitiveness and our productivity," -- Judd Gregg

So that leaves pressure from constituents (who wouldn't really be his constituents anymore, so I'm not clear on how hard they could hammer him) and pressure from the GOP, which appears to have decided that any form of cooperation with the Obama Administration is unacceptable.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    So that leaves pressure from constituents (who wouldn't really be his constituents anymore, so I'm not clear on how hard they could hammer him) and pressure from the GOP, which appears to have decided that any form of cooperation with the Obama Administration is unacceptable.
    Or, as you so graciously sidestepped with catlike agility, maybe it's Obama's plans for the census, as Xiahou has said... oh I don't know, 3 times now?
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Or, as you so graciously sidestepped with catlike agility, maybe it's Obama's plans for the census, as Xiahou has said... oh I don't know, 3 times now?
    I have catlike agility? Cool. That's kinda like a superpower, right?

Okay, somebody explain or link to an explanation about this whole census thing. What's the big whup?

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

I have catlike agility? Cool. That's kinda like a superpower, right?

That depends... do you think normal cats have something kinda like a superpower...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Oh, get real, you with your speciesist talking points. Everybody knows that when you give a human being animal powers everything gets extra-fancy. Werewolves, for instance, aren't just doggie humans; they're super-powerful monsters. So if Don is going to declare that I have cat-like powers, I think it's perfectly logical to expect my were-cat abilities to be heightened beyond those of the ordinary housecat.

Meanwhile, I think Xiahou should go correct Senator Gregg, since the man clearly doesn't know his own mind. "[D]uring a news conference with reporters, Gregg said 'The Census was only a slight catalyzing issue. It was not a major issue.' "

-edit-

Reading further in that piece, it doesn't seem that any of the previous directors of the Census have a problem with whatever plans are afoot. And apparently the Bush Administration did a lot of coordinating for the 2000 Census. Is this a real issue, or is this Fairness Doctrine Mark 2?

But Kenneth Prewitt, who served as Census director from 1998 to 2001, said he worked with White House staff during the 2000 Census on budgeting, advertising and outreach efforts. In an e-mail, Prewitt said he never met with anyone "more senior than a deputy chief of staff, except once when I met with the entire cabinet on how each member could assist in the large outreach effort then underway."

Other former Census directors agreed that coordination with the White House on budgeting and outreach was appropriate while data collection and analysis should be kept separate.

As for potential political interference, “It’s virtually impossible to do something wrong without someone finding out about it,” said Vincent P. Barabba, who ran the 1980 Census. “It’s about as transparent an agency that exists.”

Barbara Everitt Bryant, who served as director during the 1990 Census, said: "I would have liked a little of the bully pulpit help, because one of the big things is just to get everyone to answer the questionnaire. The president would have a lot more clout on that than anything we could have done at the Census bureau."
    Last edited by Lemur; 02-13-2009 at 03:41.

Okay, somebody explain or link to an explanation about this whole census thing. What's the big whup?
    Here is some background:
    "The real issue is who directs the Census, the pros or the pols," says Mr. Chapman. "You would think an administration that's thumping its chest about respecting science would show a little respect for scientists in the statistical field." He worries that a Census director reporting to a hyperpartisan such as White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel increases the chances of a presidential order that would override the consensus of statisticians.

The Obama administration is downplaying how closely the White House will oversee the Census Bureau. But Press Secretary Robert Gibbs insists there is "historical precedent" for the Census director to be "working closely with the White House."

It would be nice to know what Sen. Gregg thinks about all this, but he's refusing comment. And that, says Mr. Chapman, the former Census director, is damaging his credibility. "He will look neutered with oversight of the most important function of his department over the next two years shipped over to the West Wing," he says. "If I were him, I wouldn't take the job unless I had that changed."
    As to Gregg's stated reasons- he lists the census as a reason, I suspect he's trying to downplay how much of one it was. The census is one of the biggest responsibilities of Commerce isn't it? I can't imagine he was happy when he found out that it was being taken out of his Dept.
    -Abraham Lincoln

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some of the other threads are wandering a bit. Time to give issues relating to the formation and actions of Obama's administration a home of their own. SF

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I saw in Google News that the WSJ piece you quote was the most mainstream source putting this out there. Lots of hits in the Fox News Forum and NewsMax and other rightwingish places. I guess this is the outrage of the week. Helloooooo Fairness Doctrine: The Sequel. Just when you thought Rupert Murdoch's various media organs were done talking about flag pins ....

The first census to be conducted under the auspices of a Democratic President in thirty years comes along, and the rightwing media goes ape. I am Lemur's total lack of surprise. And because some hispanic groups have been agitating for statistical sampling, this means that the Dems are going to gerrymander the entire nation or something, right?

And even though Gregg says the census was not a primary motivation, it really was. Gotcha.

Look, Gregg lobbied for the cabinet post. He wasn't offered it out of the blue. And by all accounts, the Obama Admin was working with him and trying to make things right. Gregg was fully aware of the stimulus bill (for those of you who skipped Macroeconomics 101, "stimulus"="spending"), and he was fully aware of the census brouhaha. Something happened.

I find this at least as suspicious as the dude with the security cameras who just happened to have a loaded weapon ready when four men armed with assault rifles came to "rob" his home.

-edit-

Looking at the issue again: Bruce Chapman, the only named source in the WSJ piece you quote, is firmly linked with the religious right. Specifically, he founded an institute that pushes Intelligent Design. He also never conducted a census, since he was appointed by Saint Reagan a year after the 1980 census.

The person who actually conducted the 1980 census says: “It’s virtually impossible to do something wrong without someone finding out about it,” said Vincent P. Barabba, who ran the 1980 Census. “It’s about as transparent an agency that exists.”

Secondly, what's with the flip-out about White House involvement in the census, anyway? Guess what? The Commerce Department is run by ... (drum roll) ... a political appointee! Who answers only to .... (drum roll) ... the President of the United States! So if you were okay with a census being conducted by the Reagan Administration, and then by the Bush Administration, and then by the Bush Administration ... hmmm ... what's changed?
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 02-15-2009 at 16:19. Reason: Moving of several posts to create new thread

I think, Lemur, i was more about appearances. Obama wants to be bipartisan so he appoints Gregg, he then promptly strips Gregg of one of his primary responsibilities because he apparently doesn't trust a Republican to do it. It's Obama that politicized it in doing so. Had he wanted to be apolitical or post-partisan or whatever the buzz word is, he would've left it alone.

If there was no need to worry about funny business, why did they change it?
    Last edited by Xiahou; 02-13-2009 at 04:36.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Default Thoughts & Commentary on the Obama Administration

I'm taking a look at what the Department of Commerce actually does. Why is the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (including the National Weather Service) part of that department? Should I even ask?

Also, perhaps it's time for us to move our Obama discussion to a new thread. His inauguration was three weeks ago or something near.

If there was no need to worry about funny business, why did they change it?
    Haven't the foggiest. I seriously doubt that the only explanation is the one being peddled by the rightwing blogs. In fact, I haven't seen any confirmation that the 2010 census is being "taken away" from commerce outside of the rightwing news sources. According to the Dept of Commerce web site, the census is very much in their purview.

If it walks like a manufactured controversy, and it quacks like a manufactured controversy ...
    Last edited by Lemur; 02-13-2009 at 04:49.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

I do love these Lemur v Xiahou arguments -- sources, well-expressed points of view, just enough "edge" to give it liveliness. Good STUFF!
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Stupid me, I pushed forward the idea that the US Postal Service, with it's "visit every address, 6 times per week" mandate, might be better equipped (and cheaper, vs. the independent contractors usually used) to conduct the actual census.

We (the usps) make a few extra bucks in these down times, and save the Gov't a few bucks to boot.

Sadly, I hadn't counted on the politics involved.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    Stupid me, I pushed forward the idea that the US Postal Service, with it's "visit every address, 6 times per week" mandate, might be better equipped (and cheaper, vs. the independent contractors usually used) to conduct the actual census.

We (the usps) make a few extra bucks in these down times, and save the Gov't a few bucks to boot.

Sadly, I hadn't counted on the politics involved.
    Unfortunately the problem is that then no one counts the homeless. That's the only defence I can think of for using sampling over a head count census-wise.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Lemur, did you see where he mentions the census in his formal statement?

However, it has become apparent during this process that this will not work for me as I have found that on issues such as the stimulus package and the Census there are irresolvable conflicts for me. Prior to accepting this post, we had discussed these and other potential differences, but unfortunately we did not adequately focus on these concerns. We are functioning from a different set of views on many critical items of policy.
    You think his remarks in his press conference trump his formal withdrawal wording? Nevermind what he says tho, I'm sure if you keep scouring the blogosphere you'll get to the bottom of this.

Edit: Kukri has started a pattern of coming up with simple answers to questions too confusing for our elected officials.
    Last edited by Proletariat; 02-13-2009 at 06:17.

Postal service isn't really an option. Putting mail in a box is a lot easier than finding people at home to interview. Lots of people won't be home at that moment so you have to come back later, and interviewing takes up time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Postal service isn't really an option. Putting mail in a box is a lot easier than finding people at home to interview. Lots of people won't be home at that moment so you have to come back later, and interviewing takes up time.
    Actually, for the last 2 headcounts, most of the census was conducted by mail. Lots of census forms got returned, unopened, due to faulty/non-existant addresses (the Commerce Dept had hired a mass-mailing company, to use their mailing database, which turned out to be only about 60% accurate). Nowadays, the USPS maintains a 98+% accurate address database of its own.

The Comm Dept then hired (lowest-bidder) local sub-contractors to do physical interviews with about 10% of their list of "survey received, but not returned" addresses. Those guys were constantly stopping me and my co-workers for directions, they being out-of-towners with no clue where houses were. One such guy shared with me that he got $15 per hour (this was year 2000), roughly the same as I was making.

So we postys were/are already deeply involved in census-taking. Mail volume is down 30% this year, and many of us are having a hard time putting together a 40-hour week. We'd have time, without overtime pay, to conduct 2-3 interviews per day from a list of (say) 20 non-responders. Do a couple a day, and in a month we've got a pretty good sampling.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach
    Unfortunately the problem is that then no one counts the homeless.
    Good point. However, there are homeless shelters that do have street addresses, where that population's numbers could be substantially "captured" via interviews with shelter staff.

I'm not fighting hard for this, especially as it seems the powers-that-be ahve already decided the issue. I'm just saying, we could have done it cheaper, and more reliably, with our already-available resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat View Post
    Edit: Kukri has started a pattern of coming up with simple answers to questions too confusing for our elected officials.
    That's because most of our elected officials are lawyers with no real idea how things run.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

The New York Times voices concern over Obama's naming of former Citigroup execs to his administration:
    Senior executives at Citigroup’s Alternative Investment division ran up hundreds of millions of dollars in losses last year on their esoteric collection of investments, including real estate funds and private highway construction projects, even as they collected seven-figure salaries and bonuses.

Now the Obama administration has turned to that Citigroup division — twice — for high-level advisers.
    “You sort of have to wonder why it is so smart to put them in charge now, if they helped create the mess that we are in,” said Melanie Sloan, executive director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. “They wouldn’t strike me as the natural choice.”
    As of last fall Citigroup Alternative Investments managed $49 billion worth of capital from individuals and institutions, investing in nontraditional ventures like a program that builds highways, runs airports and oversees other major public projects for governments.

In the first quarter of last year, the Alternative Investment division lost $509 million and for the whole year, it was part of a larger Citigroup division that lost $20 billion, according to Citigroup.
    At least one of them received the horrible bonuses we've heard so much about:
    Citigroup paid Mr. Lew, 53, at least $1.1 million in salary and bonus last year, according to a financial disclosure form filed last month. The form noted that he might get an additional undisclosed bonus for his work in 2008 before he started his federal job.
    Anyone think it's a little bit disingenuous for Obama to setup executives of these companies as economic boogeymen, whose greed caused our crisis when he's hiring them on to his administration? Froman is going to be an economic adviser to the president and Lew will oversee financial matters at the State Dept.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Vice President Biden apparently doesn't get the special privileges of his predecessor. He is NOT in an undisclosed location, the Naval Observatory is no longer pixelated in Google Maps.

Anyone think it's a little bit disingenuous for Obama to setup executives of these companies as economic boogeymen, whose greed caused our crisis when he's hiring them on to his administration?
    Actually, if I remember correctly, Obama's criticism of the Wall Street Bailout bonus crew was fairly measured. I think you're conflating President Obama with the Congresscritters who've been grandstanding and making great declarations of shock and shame in the hearings.

It's okay, I know everyone who isn't a Republican looks the same to you.

Hey, check it out! I started a new thread and didn't even know about it!

Actually, if I remember correctly, Obama's criticism of the Wall Street Bailout bonus crew was fairly measured. I think you're conflating President Obama with the Congresscritters who've been grandstanding and making great declarations of shock and shame in the hearings.

Hey, check it out! I started a new thread and didn't even know about it!
    So you DO have cat-like agility. :)

Whoa, you're right. I thought this was Obama calling the bonuses "the height of irresponsibility" and "shameful". I'd better go see a doctor, clearly I'm hallucinating.

Obama has been more muted than some of his fellow blowhards in congress, but he hasn't been above piling on. So if it was the height of irresponsibility for Lews to accept a bonus in excess of $1 million, what is it when you appoint him to your administration?
    Last edited by Xiahou; 02-15-2009 at 21:41.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Default Re: Thoughts & Commentary on the Obama Administration

So Commerce is still vacant. Anybody want it?

Going once.

Going twice.

OK, I'll take it.

USPS gets the census for 70 million bucks. (We'll save the remainder of the $1B allocated)

NOAA gets 4 more satellites over north america.

I need new numbers guys for the Institute for Standards & Tech, Telecomm and Info Administration, Econ and Stats Admin.

Need sci-guys for Trademark and Patent.

And Chinese and Arabic-speakers/writers for the Intnl Trade Admin.

Any takers?

Wait. I got a speeding ticket in New Mexico (90 in a 70) in 1986, that I might have forgotten about until just now.

Glad to see that the rightwing's most public persona is staying strong for his country: "I want everything he's doing to fail... I want the stimulus package to fail.... I do not want this to succeed."

David "diapers and prostitutes" Vitter lays out the "hope for fail" strategy in greater detail:

According to Vitter, the GOP is basically betting the farm that the stimulus package is going to fail, and the party wants Democrats to go down with it. "Our next goal is to make President Obama and liberal Democrats in Congress own it completely," he said. Instead of coming up with serious measures to save the economy, the party intends to devote its time to an "we told you so" agenda that will include GOP-only hearings on the bill's impact in the coming months to highlight the bill's purportedly wasteful elements and shortcomings.

While Vitter seemed to think this was a brilliant new political tactic, voters might be less enthusiastic than Federalist Society members about politicians who spend the next 18 months rooting for the economy to get worse, just to prove a point.
    Last edited by Lemur; 02-16-2009 at 20:47.

Going back to the unfillable position of Commerce Secretary, I always suspected there was more to the Gregg dropout than was made public. You don't lobby for a position like crazy, then turn around and say you can't take it on "principle." What politician ever turned anything down on principle, anyway?

Details:

[The] former nominee to become commerce secretary, Republican Sen. Judd Gregg, steered taxpayer money to his home state's redevelopment of a former Air Force base even as he and his brother engaged in real estate deals there, an Associated Press investigation found.

Gregg, R-N.H., has personally invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in Cyrus Gregg's office projects at the Pease International Tradeport, a Portsmouth business park built at the defunct Pease Air Force Base, once home to nuclear bombers. Judd Gregg has collected at least $240,017 to $651,801 from his investments there, Senate records show, while helping to arrange at least $66 million in federal aid for the former base.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

“pro-life”: anti- abortion. Most of them are for Death Penalty, hardly “pro-life” stance…
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    “pro-life”: anti- abortion. Most of them are for Death Penalty, hardly “pro-life” stance…
    “pro-choice”: pro- abortion. Most of them are for Gun Control, hardly “pro-choice” stance...

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast