Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Empire Map

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Default Re: Empire Map

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    They didnt object to being in superpower 2 (great game but only after the 1.4 patch) even though players(like me) enjoyed nuking them when they sat around doing nothing, good times.

Forgive me for stating the obvious but isnt that pink blob, in the middle of alexanders map, Switzerland?
    It is, or where it should be. recent screenshots and maps have sown that there is no actual city in that province, and it is not owned by a faction.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/958390/empire-total-war/images/empire-total-war-20090224035306213.html;jsessionid=13ikacgrh6csb

The screenshot in that link should illustrate what I mean. You can tell there is a province there though. It's all very odd.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    To explain the Swiss situation, the way I see it.

Switzerland appears to be a province, impassible, with no city and no owner. Essentially a big hole in the middle of Europe with nothing in it. Other factions have not been put in, but their territory has been given to nearby factions, not left deserted.

One possible reason for this is that perhaps CA were not able to include them in the game even though they wanted to. A reason for this could be Switzerland itself asking not to be included.

Switzerland are famously neutral, and I can see a game where you could potentially attack them or attack as them upsetting the government somewhat. They tend to get very annoyed at anything threatening their neutrality.

This is just a theory of course, designed to offer a possible explanation to their mysterious absence and the inclusion of a deserted province.
    I bet Switzerland could be put in the game as well.

There could be another reason. How would they portray Switzerland and wouldn't Switzerland require it's very own special AI?

Switzerland as you say, is a very neutral country and only fights when attacked to defend their boundaries. They are also a very rich country, so they would have very impressive technology, plus a population willing to do anything to defend it.

Also, Switzerland is situation in an area which is hard to access and thus, easy enough for them to defend.

I think there are so many factors to make Switzerland accurate within the game that it was too much trouble than it was worth to have the province in.

Would be very interested in seeing a modification to the game where Switzerland is in. There are several loopholes which could be used to make it realistic.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by TiberiusBeskar View Post
    I bet Switzerland could be put in the game as well.

Switzerland as you say, is a very neutral country and only fights when attacked to defend their boundaries. They are also a very rich country, so they would have very impressive technology, plus a population willing to do anything to defend it.
    Switzerland is very rich now, but in the 18th century it was one of the poorest places in europe.

And this is in a way also a reason why they kept there independence: there simply wasn't much to loot and as you said the area is easy to defend.
    Better dead than a Coward - Gurkha motto

Thumbs down Re: Empire Map

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander XXI View Post
    Here is a map I have found, which is said to be fairly accurate.

I know this map is fairly outdated (Russia is still brown in it, while it was changed to green), but if they don't put the Chippewa in here, I'm really going to be pissed off. They were a major power in the Great Lakes area in North America, and not having them in the game is like not having Austria in the game. And the Hurons were all but wiped out in their war with the Iroquois in the 17th century (before ETW), and so they shouldn't be a major Native American power anymore at all...

Blog Entries

The only thing that bugs me about the map at this point is that I wont be able to invade the western coast of America even though I will still see it in the minimap
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Thumbs down Re: Empire Map

They won't put it in, because they're too lazy to research the tribes in the areas.

Blog Entries

Yeah but did they realy have to get my hopes up by including the outline in the minimap?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Liberator View Post
    Switzerland is very rich now, but in the 18th century it was one of the poorest places in europe.

And this is in a way also a reason why they kept there independence: there simply wasn't much to loot and as you said the area is easy to defend.
    For some reason, I thought Switzerland were technologically advanced and quite rich in those days too. But that could be the reason. They are that poor, it isn't worth the effort to invade.

An interesting way to mod Switzerland then, is to make it a poor area, but give the faction a big income per turn, so they can have an upkeep of a strong army or make it that garrisons spawn when some one invades, to represent the defenders, sort of like a revolt system, to represent the people picking up their arms to defend. Latter is most likely the best way, but harder to code.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

For some reason, I thought Switzerland were technologically advanced and quite rich in those days too. But that could be the reason. They are that poor, it isn't worth the effort to invade.

An interesting way to mod Switzerland then, is to make it a poor area, but give the faction a big income per turn, so they can have an upkeep of a strong army or make it that garrisons spawn when some one invades, to represent the defenders, sort of like a revolt system, to represent the people picking up their arms to defend. Latter is most likely the best way, but harder to code.
    An even more difficult modding challenge would be getting other factions to recognise Swiss neutrality. Historically Switzerland haven't often needed to fight, as other nations mostly left them alone (with some exceptions).

You can't stop a Total War faction from invading things though, it just isn't in there nature .

I was looking forward to making Switzerland into a world power, invading all of Europe and burning it to the ground. It's much easier to be neutral when theres no one left to fight you .

Alternatively it would be fun to Roleplay an entirely neutral nation, just sitting there growing economically and minding your own business. Perhaps occasionally beating up invading powers who get to greedy.
    Last edited by Sir Beane; 02-26-2009 at 19:55.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Blog Entries

I think the Swiss ruling the world would just be making everyone a protectorate and taxing them while they otherwise did whatever they wanted bar attacking Switzerland, as the leader of this Switzerland sits back in Guevara on his throne of skulls.

Member Member General SupaCrunk's Avatar

Wow! Those are incredible (and also huge). Thanks Marten!

@ Polemists

It looks like its an inaccesible area of map, or a province with no capital city. There is clearly an empty area of map in the shape of Switzerland.

Perhaps Switzerland didn't want to be included in a war game? They do love their neutrality.
    You have missed one region in South America which Belongs to France.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So is all of France 1 province? And all of Spain? And all of New Spain? And Anatolia?
    Jaysus. Modding Gods come to our rescue
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

They didn't get rich until the 20th century, when tax evaders, organized mobs and corrupt dictators like Marcos of the Philippines and Suharto of Indonesia can easily hide their wealth there to give their banks a huge asset base.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster View Post
    So is all of France 1 province? And all of Spain? And all of New Spain? And Anatolia?
    Jaysus. Modding Gods come to our rescue

They have more than one city/town/etc. These spawn based on population of the areas.

Basically, instead of capturing Benidorm and now its yours to build up, etc. You can capture them and take resources, etc, however, it's still part of Spain, so you got to take over Madrid to take over the whole area.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I got that, but still. Even the UK is getting 3! I understand about the unrest and nationalistic feelings. But still, in the war for the spanish throne, Barcelona was one of the last cities to continue fighting, and this cannot be represented or even in any way recreated or even the possibility of the famous sieges of Zaragoza or Vitoria if the only city on the peninsula is Madrid...
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    Yeah and CA is actually putting in more than actually existed in1700. Georgia was named after the regining monarch when it was founded, George II IIRC. There aren't 13 colonies until after 1763, when Vermont is ceded to Britain by France. I wiki'ed Confederation of New England. Appearantly it was real and was basically the modern US states of Massachusetts and Connecticut united as one colony. Only problem was it ceased to be in 1684. And never included Rouge Island (as they called Rhode Island) or New Hampshire as the games province appears too.

But your always going to have such things. Look at the province of Acadia, the capital given is Fort Nashwaak (~modern city of Fredericton). I've never heard of that before, I had to look it up. The main French settlments in Acadia were Port Royal (now Annapolis Royal), which was the capitol of Acadia, and Louisbourg. Louisbourg being founded after mainland Nova Scotia was given to Britian after the war of Spainish succesion.

Yeah, I certainly understand the design decision to not have the 13 Colonies/United States actually represented by 13 provinces or regions or whatever you want to call them. I was just enjoying the irony, given that in the game they are literally named "The Thirteen Colonies" and there are only like eight of them.

Last edited by Sisco Americanus; 02-26-2009 at 21:49.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of war!

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster View Post
    I got that, but still. Even the UK is getting 3! I understand about the unrest and nationalistic feelings. But still, in the war for the spanish throne, Barcelona was one of the last cities to continue fighting, and this cannot be represented or even in any way recreated or even the possibility of the famous sieges of Zaragoza or Vitoria if the only city on the peninsula is Madrid...
    I thought the idea was that the towns will eventually develop and can be fought over and beseiged.

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    I thought the idea was that the towns will eventually develop and can be fought over and beseiged.
    They can, but taking them won't net you a province, you'll just gain the city and it's bonuses.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

They can, but taking them won't net you a province, you'll just gain the city and it's bonuses.
    Right, my point was that there shouldn't be any concern about lack of cities to fight over.

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    Right, my point was that there shouldn't be any concern about lack of cities to fight over.
    It's a good point, I think the new province system will work really well. Still I won't mind if modders decide to add more provinces .

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

I think there is some confusion about the new province system in Empire. There is only one settlement in each region, and there are a series of towns and villages throughout a province. Settlements come in three kinds based on the number of main building slots in them(5, 4 or 1), and towns can be ports(3 different chains), farms, winery, mines etc. or some town slots can be one of 4 building chains. Villages will over time 'pop' and become towns/ports where you choose what building chain to go with them. You need to take the main settlement in order to conquer a region and recruiting troops are done then.

Those towns outisde the settlement can be occupied by an enemy which damages them and removes the benefits you're getting from them which can cripple a faction. Bigger provinces have more towns/villages and so make more money and are more valuable. As bigger provinces also have more population they also make more tax income.
    Unit Design Lead

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    I think there is some confusion about the new province system in Empire. There is only one settlement in each region, and there are a series of towns and villages throughout a province. Settlements come in three kinds based on the number of main building slots in them(5, 4 or 1), and towns can be ports(3 different chains), farms, winery, mines etc. or some town slots can be one of 4 building chains. Villages will over time 'pop' and become towns/ports where you choose what building chain to go with them. You need to take the main settlement in order to conquer a region and recruiting troops are done then.

Those towns outisde the settlement can be occupied by an enemy which damages them and removes the benefits you're getting from them which can cripple a faction. Bigger provinces have more towns/villages and so make more money and are more valuable. As bigger provinces also have more population they also make more tax income.
    Thanks Jack . Can you make use of the bonuses from occupied towns, or do you have to take the province first?

How quickly towns pop is based on population growth isn't it? If so what is the limit on the number of towns a province can have?

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Can you make use of the bonuses from occupied towns, or do you have to take the province first?
    You have to take the region first.

How quickly towns pop is based on population growth isn't it?
    Yes.

If so what is the limit on the number of towns a province can have?
    It's how many villages there are in a province, so it is a pre-defined amount.
    Unit Design Lead

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    You have to take the region first.

Yes.

It's how many villages there are in a province, so it is a pre-defined amount.
    Thanks again I can't wait to get to grips with the new province system.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Re: Empire Map

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    Wait, how can Switzerland decline permission to be used in a video game? Do countries have a legal claim on their likenesses in media?
    Yeah, a country simply can't do that.

Switzerland isn't included because CA couldn't be arsed to make them a faction, and that's about it.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Re : Re: Empire Map

CA did all those tiny german states but were too lazy to do switzerland?
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-27-2009 at 00:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil View Post
    Yeah, a country simply can't do that.

Switzerland isn't included because CA couldn't be arsed to make them a faction, and that's about it.
    If you look somewhere firther up in the thread I've mention a few ways that Switzerland could have persuaded CA to not include them.

I could be completely wrong of course, but it seems odd that in earlier screenshots there was a faction in that Switzerland shaped hole, and now there is nothing. Seems like at one point Switzerland was intended to be in the game.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

If you look somewhere firther up in the thread I've mention a few ways that Switzerland could have persuaded CA to not include them.

I could be completely wrong of course, but it seems odd that in earlier screenshots there was a faction in that Switzerland shaped hole, and now there is nothing. Seems like at one point Switzerland was intended to be in the game.

Why would a country actually care that much to not want to be included in a video game though?

It's not like the Russians have any control over the fact they're constantly the bad guys in nearly ever fps game. It just doesn't logically make sense.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus View Post
    Why would a country actually care that much to not want to be included in a video game though?

It's not like the Russians have any control over the fact they're constantly the bad guys in nearly ever fps game. It just doesn't logically make sense.
    Switzerland takes it's neutrality, very seriously. But it's just a theory you know, to explain why there seemed to be a Swiss faction and they disappeared, leaving a Switzerland shaped province with nothing in it. I wouldn't be as suspicious if their territory had just been given to another faction.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Switzerland takes it's neutrality, very seriously. But it's just a theory you know, to explain why there seemed to be a Swiss faction and they disappeared, leaving a Switzerland shaped province with nothing in it. I wouldn't be as suspicious if their territory had just been given to another faction.
    So let me get this straight there's just a blank square on the map where they're meant to be?

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast