Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Στα βήματα της Ρώμης (To the Steps of Rome)--An Interactive Epieros AAR

Loving being a Member Ghaust the Moor's Avatar

Default Re: Στα βήματα της Ρώμης (To the Steps of Rome)--An Interactive Epieros AAR

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    Generally I just use the print screen button, they are then stored in a folder called TGAs in your Rome Total War folder. You need to turn Anti Aliasing off for this to work.
    Yeah, but my computer can't veiw tga files. It opens a notepad document. How do I make it viewable?

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default Re: Στα βήματα της Ρώμης (To the Steps of Rome)--An Interactive Epieros AAR

Use a program like GIMP (free download, just google it) to change the files into JPEG format.

Use a program like GIMP (free download, just google it) to change the files into JPEG format.
    Cool. Thanks. I will probabaly look for the screen shots and change them then.

Where is everybody???

Thaliarchos Addresses Pyrrhos.

Sorry if I have seemed quiet, I have just been trying to work out how you were attacked by a relief force in your assault on Pella. Surely you knew such an event was likely if you waited? Anyway whats done is done, I guess the forces you killed in the battle will make the actual assault easier now, and Demetrias will be less defended when we move to take her. So I guess my view is obvious, take Pella now then move south to take the other Makedon holdings.
    What of our other theatre of operations? How goes Demetrias' travels to Megale Hellas? Rome must die.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 04-24-2009 at 12:48.

Member Member the man with no name's Avatar

(Lysandros stands)

"It is good 2 know that our assault on Pella is working out, even though we did take many causuties, we can return for round two later this year. And I also wonder how our campaign is going in Megale Hellas. That is all."

(sits down)
    My balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post

Steppe battles are very long, but the wars are short.

Infantry battles aren't as long, but the wars are much longer.

-gamegeek2
    Campaigns completed: Vanilla Julii

272 Fall BCE

Greetings Gentilmen of the council. Nikesas Pellas!!! Pella is ours. The army was so weak after fighting outside their walls, that we took the city with practicly only our cavalry. Sit, all of you. I will tell you what happened:

As we assualted the walls, we pulled into position. The enemy reinforcements were deployed on the other corner of the battledfield and apparently hoped to reach the defenders in time.

I moved my Akontistai to the walls to rain javalins at the enemy, but by the time the walls were reached, the cowardly enemy was retreating to the town square. By now the Elephantais were halfway throught the wall.

While the Elephantais battered at the gates, the reinforcments general foolishly charge my infantry and was brutally massacared.

The General was killed by a warrior of mine named Lysanderian Kretikioi. He will be recieving honours, for his work. Meanwhile the elephantais had finished off most of the forces inside the settlement. I charged my cavalry to town square to finish of the the "rest" if one can call it that

With his death, we owned the city. The victory was abosolute, not one Makedonian slime made it back to his home.

At first, mild resistance was encountered so a large group of the resitors were deported to other cities.

Now that Pella is under our heel, what should be done next. Should we immediatly march on Demetrias? Or are the men of the council feeling that that isn't in our best intrest? Demetrios has yet to reach Taras, but he is camped about 30 miles from the city. He shall be there by later this fall. Ambrakia and Epidamnos have grown and will be needing new facilities, to accomidate the population.

What should be done, concerning a campaign in Italy? We have yet to discuss, if this is even a viable option. Well men of the council. What say you?

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

Aikibedes stands

"ALL HAIL EPIROS! What a great victory, my my lord Pyrrhos! (bows at the king) It is good that we have landed a sizable force to italy. But defending Taras is our only option. If we over extend ourselves, the romans will surely fall upon us and give us trouble. Not to mention that we have NO funds to add troops to any army. Let us focus on defeating Makedonia from our land. Demetrios should be our next target. What will you all say, my dear friends?"

4x
    1x

Thaliarchos bows low.

Congratulations my Lord, a glorious victory. It seems your decision not to assault immediately was vindicated as you now had a much smaller garrison to overcome. As to what we do in Italy, I believe there is a Roman army at the gates of Taras? If indeed this is the case Demetrios should engage it, we cannot decide on our strategy in Megale Hellas until Taras is secure.

Lysandros bows

"Congradulations, a winner is you. We should definately move to attack the damned romans outside Taras."
    My balloons:

-gamegeek2

Gogor Mamegonian walks in too the room and looks aroud to all the members of the council.

"I'm sorry that I've got to spoil this great day for you, but my father was killed by an assasin last night and that's why he wasn't here today. I caught the assasin when he was sneaking out of my fathers room and recognized him as the royal assasin of the Pontic Kingdom." and he trows the head of the assasin in the middle of the room. "I demand that my father's death is revenged."' He goes to his fathers place place and sits down

I'll write an description about my new character later
    "I should like to see any power of the world destroy this race, this small tribe of unimportant people, whose history is ended, whose wars have been fought and lost, whose structures have crumbled, whose literature is unread, whose prayers are no longer answered.... For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia!

William Saroyan, 1935.

High kings of the Mountains: A Hayasdan AAR

Pyrrhos scratchs his chin

"Pontus....Men of the Council how does a war with Pontus sound to you? I think it is stupid to do now. We are already concidering a joint campaign, but three...thats to many."

Thaliarchos stands,

Gogor, my sympathies to you. I am sure every man here would willingly give his life for his country, to die at the hands of a sneak is surely not how any of us would wish to serve the Arche though. In saying that each and every one of us is surely aware we are but a small part of a glorious whole, if I were killed tomorrow I would not expect the rest of you to run off on a wild expedition of revenge. No, we will not forget this great insult to our country and to your honourable family, but we cannot turn our course aside now to avenge one man.

He bows his head in condolence before sitting.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Dudes, I hate you now. I hate you all.

*Maion runs away in tears, as he heads for the Romaioktonoi HQ, thinking of changing the "Romaio" ro "Epeiro" instead*

Maion
    ~Maion

Winter 272 BCE

Pyrrhos and a younger man stride into the vaulted chamber and take their seats.

"Ah, Gentlemen of the council. A beautiful day, is it not? I have some good news. The city of Demetrias was besieged and taken last fall. Few men where lost and absolutely no elephantais. Come sit, let me tell you about the battle."

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"The army set forth from Pella early that fall, but by the time we reached the Makedonian city of Demetrias, the first light snow had fallen, so we quickly made haste to attack."

"We reached the outskirts of the city and camped for the next night. All of the morrow, we cleaned our weapons and made sure everything was ready for the fight. The dya after, early in the morning, we formed up. "

"After, forming up, the Elephantais marched towards the left wall, and began to smash their way into the city."

"Meanwhile, I ordered the Akontistais to rain death upon the Makedonians foolish enough to stand still. This lasted for a while until the Elephantais, having broken the wall, proceeded to destroy the gates. The Akontistai charged into the broken gates but were cut down by cavalry, that had been lying in wait. The Phanlangitites marched in the gates and were met by fierce Makedonian resitance. It faltered quickly."

"As my Phalanx was tied up with Argirian troopers, a unit of Hoplaoi attempted to flank it. Having noticed the threat, my galatian mercernaries took the initiative and charged the unit. "

"I noticed the threat and procceeded to charge my companians and Elephantias throught the broken wall and into the backs of the Hoplites. Poor guys never saw it coming."

"Having secured the outskirst of the city, I proceeded to send my Phalanx, under the command of my good friend Antigonas, down the main street leading to the town square. Meanwhile, I lead my cavalry and Kluddolon down a side road, in an attempt to flank the Makedonians."

"My Phalanx went unperturbed until the townsquare, where they were charged by the Makedonian general and the remaining Argirian infantry. My Kluddolon charged the exposed back of the formation, but was intercepted by the Makedonian Phalanx."

"Now I charged my cavalry into the flank of the Makedonian Phalanx. The men faltered and fled. In the proccess on of the Pikemen tripped and fell, spearing his commander's horse's leg, causing it to fall. The general was crushed under his weight."

"Oh, the sight was beutiful. To see all those Makedonians runing around like chickens with their heads cut off."

"The last one died, A bug under a hoof."

"Now, Sad to say, For every good, there must be bad. General Ptolomaios engaged the romans, outside of Taras, and was crushed. They retreated back to the city and will need to rebuild forces."

"What Does the senate advise we do? New Barrecks are under construction in pella to reinforce First Army."

{I have screenies of the loss, but I'm to lazy to put them up. If you want them, I put them up though}

Gogor stands up
    "A great victory my king, you have shown the true power of our kingdom." And he turns to the members of the council. "I still ask the council to help me revenge but revenge is also a dish that should be served cold. I know we can't attack Pontus now, I didn't expect that either. But I ask of the council when we have peace in Hellas or Italy to send our armies to Pontus."

And he sits back down
    "I should like to see any power of the world destroy this race, this small tribe of unimportant people, whose history is ended, whose wars have been fought and lost, whose structures have crumbled, whose literature is unread, whose prayers are no longer answered.... For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia!

William Saroyan, 1935.

Thaliarchos addresses the assembly,

Friend Gorgos, it is good to see grief has not dulled your senses. Indeed we are unable to take revenge on Pontus right now, but it will be something in the back of all our minds. When they think we have forgotten their insult, we will strike. Congratualtions on your victory in Demetrias sire. I would suggest taking Korinthos next, then we should seek peace with the Makedones. I think allowing them to survive as a shell of their former selves would be more of a humiliation than wiping them out. Also letting them live would give the Athenian/Spartan alliance something to occupy them.
    As for Megale Hellas, I admit I am unsure of how to proceed there. Certainly Ptolemaios would need reinforcement to have a chance of holding the region. How did he lose to a force almost fifty percent smaller than his own? I believe he should stay in Taras with his army and attempt to make up for his failure.

Thaliarchos sits.

Gogor stands up again
    "I think we need to send reinforcments and not levies but real soldiers professionals who can win a battle. And also we need a new strategy for Megas Hellas. We must now go in the offensive and crush them in their weak points and not sit and wait till they come."
    sits back down

William Saroyan, 1935.

Sorry bout the delay. School's a B****.

The young man rises:

"I realize your anger at our loss but I was at the disadvantage. I know you all will say that better men make no excuses, but I am not a better man. I attacked the romans, foolishly and uneducated. I should have listened to my fathers advice when he said that the romans were supperior troops. They have greater discipline than my Illyrian levies. The loss was my fault alone."

Just as he sits, Basilieus Pyhrros strides in the room.

"Ah, Gentlemen. News! The newfound army has set sail for Taras and will arrive next season. Also, We have signed a ceasefire with the decrepit Makedons, the cunning Romans, and the Arche Selucuia. I trust none of these ceasefires to last, but at least we have peace and time to revitalize our strategy. What doth the council say concerning what should be done next?"

Pyhrros sits at his chair and waits.

(Pardon the long wait. I was very busy with school, but now you should expect regular updates. I plan on a monday/ Firday posting schedule)

Gogor stands up

"It's good to hear that a new army is being send to Taras, and the fact that we lost the battle wasn't only the prince his fault but also ours, for not reinforcing our troops in Taras. That's a mistake we never must repeat. And now that there is peace I say we must move against Byzantion and conquer it."

(Ghaust it's not a problem school and RL are more important than this)

William Saroyan, 1935.

Thaliarchos stands to address Gogor,

Byzantion hmm, why Byzantion I wonder? Surely not because it will bring our Empire closer to Pontus and give you cause to demand war against them? We all grieve for you father, and revenge will come, but we already have enemies on more than one front, yet you want to add more! Crazy, we are not superhuman, our armies cannot be in two places at once.

Addresses the room,

It is good to hear we have reinforcements arriving in Megale Hellas, and it is also good the Basileus does not place his trust in these "ceasefires." I believe the Romans are only looking to recover strength, as soon as possible we must take the initiative. Our forces should move north, taking out any Roman allies on the road to Rome.

He sits.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 05-14-2009 at 02:39.

Thaliarchos stands to address Gogor,

Byzantion hmm, why Byzantion I wonder? Surely not because it will bring our Empire closer to Pontus and give you cause to demand war against them? We all grieve for you father, and revenge will come, but we already have enemies on more than one front, yet you want to add more! Crazy, we are not superhuman, our armies cannot be in two places at once.

Adresses the room,

It is good to hear we have reinforcements arriving in Megale Hellas, and it is also good the Basileus does not place his trust in these "ceasefires." I believe the Romans are only looking to recover strength, as soon as possible we must take the initiative. Our forces should move north, taking out any Roman allies on the road to Rome.

He sits.
    Lysandros stands

"agreed"
    My balloons:

-gamegeek2

Gogor stands up
    "Why does every one think that every decision I think has something to do about my grief for the death of my father. I can assure that I'm only thinking about our country. I want us to expand towards the Black Sea. There are riches there we can get trade with new ports and there are allot of mines there too. And controlling the Bosporus will bring also allot of wealth. And I also propose to send a diplomat to Hayastan and get trade rights and an alliance with kingdom. They could be useful in the future when we decide to expand towards the east."

William Saroyan, 1935.

Pyrrhos rises.

"I am sorry Gogor, but you have been outvoted. I must listen to the word of the council, and while I respect your desicion, it is not what they want.Personally, I agree with you thinking. We should expand north and east. We are at peace with the romans and the Makedons an it would be foolish to not take advatage of this. The makedons are somehow cabable of supporting a large army (Darn script) and I fear that they will expand north again after crushing the Hellen Alliance. I would leave an army garrison in Demetrias, while the rest of my army marches into thrake. But seeing as to how the council does no want this, I will accept their desicion. I will wait. I will report back after the council has decided what to do. Should I march on Arpi?

Pyrrhos stands and steps out of the room.
    Last edited by Ghaust the Moor; 06-09-2009 at 22:13.

can i still join?

Name: Bogos, son of Messo
    Appearance: He lost a foot when fighting against the romans in Italy. Blue eyes, long hair, rather a dirty appearance, and he smells.
    Backround: A Thracian by birth, an Epirote by heart, he first killed a roman at the age of 15. He gave the romans a hard time with his raids in which he damaged many vila rustica and attacked the roaman traders. He lost his foot at the age of 20, but he continued fighting riding a black horse named Iupitanum. In Italy he is loved by slaves.

Normally I would say yes, but I need everyone else to be active. So if other people can be active, sure. So you can post, just if no one responds it just because all the other people are not active for some reason. I wil respond however, since it is my duty
    Last edited by Ghaust the Moor; 06-09-2009 at 20:59.

I'm happy to continue playing along.

I am perfectly cool with continueing. I just find it difficult to do so with an even number of active people. If you guys could recruit a few more people, that would be very appreciated. I am not good with the recruiting people.

The best recruiting tool for something like this is simply playing the game. If people see it moving along they are more likely to join in.

Alright then. I believe we left off with a question.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast