Thread: Worst Victory announcement yet?

Default Worst Victory announcement yet?

You remember the good old days of Shogun - the awesome 5 minute victory video. You really felt you had achieved something when that showed up. It stirred the soul. The cut to modern Japan with your statue in pride of place in Tokyo and the techno music - flawless. One of the best experiences in my gaming career.

MTW - that was very disappointing by comparison, but still ok.

RTW - gosh blink and you missed it

M2TW - can't remember - did they have one? Oh yes "Protector of Christendom" and stirring music. It was good for a minute

ETW - this........

So i finally am rewarded for my perseverence and get to the end of 1799 having fulfilled my victory criteria (and enjoyed some good moments on the way) and...

I can't hear it because the lady announcer is simultaneously telling me about some undeveloped port that should be upgraded and then proceeding to list the various options.

The two sound tracks together cause the video and sound on the victory annoucement to be a continuous stutter on my low-performance machine.

OK, rubbish but within normal parameters - i'll just play it again after the lady has shut up and the video for the victory has loaded properly - but NO! can't do that, can I! Must choose to exit game or continue.

So you tell me, was it any good?

Really, TW people, please consider using playtesters next time

Default Re: Worst Victory announcement yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ1M4aULZI8

Try that, I dunno if it's the right nation but there's bound to be others on youtube

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't know, I've never finished a campaign in any of the games.

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

So your problem has nothing to do with the victory announcement its just that the advice got in the way. May be you could turn it off next time.
    Last edited by Tsavong; 09-11-2009 at 08:56.

yes, matey - that's the problem.

The manual didn't say "in order to enjoy the TW experience you must disable features x,y and z that you may otherwise like to have enabled, and that we include as a default option because we think it helpful"

did it?

it is yet another item in the large category of "Things that don't work properly because CA didn't think about what they were programming or test it afterwards to see how it works"

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lets take a common saying and modify it a bit. Well, quite a bit.

Excuse me if i am out of line mods.

"Don't bash a developer until you too have developed."

Go take part in creating a game this vast, have it completely bug free, then come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

I didn't like that it was generic for every faction. It didn't even distinguish by the ethnicity of your faction at all and just looked like Austrians marching about.
    The only small difference was which government type you had and thats it.

Besides, the sound of the vid keep stuttering so no good.
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 09-11-2009 at 13:16.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Sure, pevergreen

I've been with the TW series since the beginning. I joined this site several years ago, and i do not enjoy the fact that ETW has caused me for the first time to make complaining posts. While happy i never really posted much. I even did some trivial mod-assistance with an RTW mod at TWC, but still my posting record is minimal.

I play other games, and i have never complained about a game ever before, but now suddenly something like 2/3ds of my posts here are critical of ETW

It is i suppose the result of stress and disappointment resulting from high expectations and hopes.

It is also coupled with the fact that many features in this game are clearly very,very good. the units, the models, the improvements to the campaign map and trade system, these are superb. The split theaters, i love it, the naval combat is fantastic.

But there are just so many things in this game that are a basic failure to think about the necessary logical ramifications of decisions that are taken, that should have been picked up in the play test stage.

this particular thing that has so bugged me out now, apart from the deep injury i feel at being deprived of my gratifying and inspiring payoff for completing the campaign, is that it is proof positive that no play tester completed the campaign game with the advice settings on.

This is just low level stuff. Not an act of genius required.

I too suffer from the stuttered video, I just attributed to my trashy machine and that every games company for some reason these days feels that the video must play during the game therefore little to no CPU is spent on the video or sound and so that suffers. The best ideas were in games like Red Alert 2 where you could watch every cinematic once you'd earned it from the main menu. With the time they spent on making those videos, a day or 2 spent on programming that in would have been nice.

what I ended up doing was extracting the movies from the main files and watched them with the separate bink player.
    I play Custom Campaign Mod with 1.2!
    My guide on the Family Tree - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87794
    Kobal2fr's guides on training chars to be
    Governors - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86130
    Generals - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87740
    Blue's guide to char development - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87579

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post

Go take part in creating a game this vast, have it completely bug free, then come back.
    While yes, it's easy to Monday morning quarterback the game last Thursday, the home team had all season to prepare for it.

I liked the victory video for the Mughals. It was kind of laggy but a little epic.

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post

Or maybe the developers should spend 50 quid on a product that doesn't work properly, see how they feel and then they come back?! ;)

at the end of the day it's the professionals who should get this right, not the consumers...!

Well it won't work like that because they made the game and will feel more kindly towards it than other people.