Thread: Native Bowmen:best counter?

Default Native Bowmen:best counter?

How best do you counter these things? I've had the hardest time countering an army that had no fewer than 6 of them and 6 lancer units,while I was dealing with a full-stack of native mob units as well. Basically the reinforcement army deployed on my flank and pelted my units from extreme range,while any of my line infantry that attempted to get in range came under fire,then came under a charge from the lancer and routed. I had some success with artillery using canister to blow holes through them,but again,they outrange my 12-pounder foot artillery units,or seem to by quite a bit..

I was using Colonial Line inf and Hessians at the time,with a few calvary and no fewer ann 4 artillery cannons..

Default Re: Native Bowmen:best counter?

The simplest way to deal with any light infantry/skirmishers is cavalry. Just keep them away from normal infantry or they'll get slaughtered.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Cavalry isn't too advisable against native bowmen unless you feel like losing your horses quickly. Those bowmen's attack is really terrifying actually and the way I go about killing them is to go on the offensive with my line, advancing my infantry against them. Luckily, they got fairly low morale so a few massed volleys and they'll rout rather quickly unless backed up by a general. Then you should just get those bayonets out and charge them.

Outside of that, the best counter is to use native bowmen yourself to get them to shoot your bowmen and then envelop using cavalry or infantry. Just don't let your cavalry attack them whilst they are not engaged.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Member Member Hermann the Lombard's Avatar

Nasty combo with bowmen+lancers and both in quantity. Obviously the bowmen don't outrange your 12-lbrs (100 vs 400), perhaps you mean outranging canister (I don't know that range).

I also rush bowmen with line infantry but that shootout isn't a cakewalk at all, and getting countercharged by lancers isn't easy either. I guess right now exploit the bug that allows infantry to form square while in melee, that will mess up the lancers who will also be taking friendly fire from the bowmen.
    I have a mind like a steel sieve.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Any type of square with or without bayonets will kill any cavalry. Just form the square when you notice the enemy cavalry charging you (i.e. notice which unit in particular they are going after.)
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

IIRC with the french I overran most natve armies with cuirassiers, four units of those can be quite effective.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    IIRC with the french I overran most natve armies with cuirassiers, four units of those can be quite effective.
    the problem is... in the early game, you do not have cuirassiers... and that's exactly when the bowmen are a problem.

Bowmen are nasty in vanilla 1.3; they are even nastier in the Imperial Splendor (IS) mod. There they have range of 150 and can snipe your unsuspecting line while still being hidden from the view. Luckily, in IS, canister range is 250. So, I'd advance a scouting cavalry unit to disclose the location of the bowmen and then canister them into routing. The native axemen auxiliaries seem to be quite efficient fighting the bowmen too.
    Last edited by Slaists; 09-11-2009 at 18:58.

The best counter for bowmen? I used cannons, riflemen, or Heavy cavalry.

Rip, Slip, Brush, Ahh Member crazyviking03's Avatar

I think hte best way to counter Bowmen is to use The Rights of Man mod. It raises line infantry range to 90, and light infantry to 115, and brings your inf to a bit more lvl field with the range of the bowmen. They will still be outranged by a little bit, but not much. this mod has made fights with the native americans feel the most 'right' out of anything ihave used so far
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

The "A Proper Empire: Terra Incognita" mod rasies line infantry range to 100 and light infantry also to 115.

Come on, guys. I don't think the question was which *mod* is the best counter to bowmen!

Best way to counter the American Natives is to adopt their tactics. Keep sections of your own forces hidden while you send out a bait unit and draw them into an ambush.

Line Inf. can only hide in the woods, but militia can hide in the grass too.

Then one gets into the Light Infantry class then you have your best ambush units available with your rangers/light inf. or natives of your own.

Best way to not reveal yourself prematurely is to turn off fire at will then wait for the right moment to strike.

The problem was that my full attention was devoted to my main line,as the sheer number of native mob units they had was threeatening to break through my line. I only actually saw them,when I noticed the excessive number of lancers on my flank,which where for once,not doing suicidal charges into my sqaure formation line infantry.

And when I reffered to them outranging 12-pounder artillery,yes I did mean that they outranged the Canister Shot ability, I did attempt to neutralize them with outflanking moves by my line infantry,but such moves triggered a mass lander assault on my outflanking units. My break finally came when the cheif charged my artillery and was received by a double canister barrage,killing him. Also I was able to bring my victorious units once the mobs units had been defeated to assist my hard-pressed flank.
    Last edited by oz_wwjd; 09-13-2009 at 05:04.

we offer famous and top quality brand name bag which is made from original edition. With every correct detail and material. The main products is GUCCI, MARC JACOBS, MULBERRY, CHLOE, FENDI, LV, HERMES, BALENCIAGA. The products also come with the corresponding attachments,original receipts and shopping bags.Besides,wealso supply jeans, clothes...such asSeven,True&Religion,Rock&Republic,Citizen,Levis,D&G,EVISU,Lacoste shirt,Bape hoody,Abecrombie&Fintch and etc...if you need more info about us,pls contact us:

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Why has no one said War Elephants yet?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Horses, horses, horses!

Any kind of cavalry will do. I once routed 7 or 8 native bowmen units using 3 native cavalry units and one flintlock citizen militia (on H/H). I used the militia do distract attention and the cavalry for charges in the back and flanks. Even with the low charge bonus of native cavalry, it was enough to start routs. If it weren't for the AI bodyguard, I would have won the fight.

What you don't want to do is stand still in a shootout with bowmen.
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

If you got decent bayonets, charge them with your line infantry, supported with cavalry on your flanks.

Just chase them down with cavalry.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    Just chase them down with cavalry.
    Always does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by A1_Unit View Post
    Always does it for me.
    Elephants are better.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Rather a later period than ETW or NTW: The King of Siam offered elephants to help the Union in the Civil War. Lincoln politely declined, saying that he did not think they would thrive in America.

Haha! Union soldiers on elephants!

Quote Originally Posted by A1_Unit View Post
    Haha! Union soldiers on elephants!
    ...with cannon!

No, wait, wrong game...

Elephant with mounted Gattling Gun, Cannons have too low ROF :).

Always wondered why they didn't put that thing on a hot air balloon or something.