Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scythed Chariot Question

JEBMMP Creator & AtB Maker Member jirisys's Avatar

Default Re: Scythed Chariot Question

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    I agree with you. The EB Team probably has a good reason I'd like to hear out.
    I bet it's because when you charge with cavalry, they stop, they have not enough force to penetrate easily, i mean, you can charge very powerfully, but eventually the troops would stop you, that is not the case with elephants, they are not stopped by infantry or cavalry due to their mass and (when charging) momentum, so it would be better applied to a chariot (since two horses + wheels + wooden plate = ripping through enemy lines very easily)

Side note: why don't you put the trait "Intimidates cavalry" to the spearmen (especially phalanxes) since horses are reluctant to charge into a wall of spears, just a suggestion

~Jirisys (
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Newton's second law states that the force applied to a body produces a proportional acceleration; the relationship between the two is
    Code:
    F=ma
    where F is the net force applied, m is the mass of the body, and a is the body's acceleration. If the body is subject to multiple forces at the same time, then the net force is the vector sum of the individual forces:
    Code:
    F= F1+F2+...+Fn
    The second law also states that the net force is equal to the time derivative of the body's momentum p:
    Code:
    F=ma=m(dv/dt) = dmv/dt = dp/dt
    where, since the law is valid only for constant-mass systems, the mass can be taken inside the differentiation operator by the constant factor rule in differentiation. Any mass that is gained or lost by the system will cause a change in momentum that is not the result of an external force. A different equation is necessary for variable-mass systems.

Consistent with the first law, the time derivative of the momentum is non-zero when the momentum changes direction, even if there is no change in its magnitude (see time derivative). The relationship also implies the conservation of momentum: when the net force on the body is zero, the momentum of the body is constant. This can be said easily. Net force is equal to rate of change of momentum for those who are unfamiliar with calculus.

Newton's second law requires modification if the effects of special relativity are to be taken into account, since it is no longer true that momentum is the product of inertial mass and velocity.
    ... Ho...ly.... ****)
    Because we all need to compensate...

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Units that scare other units have an area of effect. Giving all spearmen elephant-like ability to terrify cavalry would cause horses to get panicky just because a a few hoplites are several yards to their left. Obviously, this was not the case, or we would have graduated from horses and moved onto motor vehicles long ago.
    Last edited by A Very Super Market; 04-11-2010 at 02:57.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Varangarchos ton Romaioktonon Member Hannibal Khan the Great's Avatar

Can you change the area of effect? If so, then it might be possible to better portray certain units' fear, i.e. make the spearmen's fear zone very small.
    from Megas Methuselah for helping with city names from Hooahguy for my sig

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Khan the Great View Post
    Can you change the area of effect? If so, then it might be possible to better portray certain units' fear, i.e. make the spearmen's fear zone very small.
    Or move it in front of them maybe? if it was possible, anyway, the response to vartan and megas meth is the post #31

~Jirisys (hating mad bodyguard charges in front of hoplites, and hoping to stop 'em)

Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Khan the Great View Post
    Real Cavalry won't charge a tight and ready formation, but totally destroy a scattered unit.

I don't think the "Scary unit" effect differentiates based on formation. So your cavalry would be scared even if half the spearmen were off having a siesta. And it isn't as if horses can't fight in the midst of spearmen. They just don't like to run into them, which isn't a proper allegory of the game's morale. It would also cause cavalry units in combat with other unit types, say Slingers, to get scared if a few spearmen wandered by close enough. Besides which, why would the fear effect be needed? It isn't as if cavalry have any trouble dying if you charge them straight into a phalanx.
    Last edited by A Very Super Market; 04-11-2010 at 05:17.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Real Cavalry won't charge a tight and ready formation, but totally destroy a scattered unit.

I don't think the "Scary unit" effect differentiates based on formation. So your cavalry would be scared even if half the spearmen were off having a siesta. And it isn't as if horses can't fight in the midst of spearmen. They just don't like to run into them, which isn't a proper allegory of the game's morale. It would also cause cavalry units in combat with other unit types, say Slingers, to get scared if a few spearmen wandered by close enough. Besides which, why would the fear effect be needed? It isn't as if cavalry have any trouble dying if you charge them straight into a phalanx.
    umm but what if you use a hoplitai (regular, ekdromoi, spartiates, or haploi) then it would be greater the damage, let's not talk about bodyguard damage too, and i find it unrealistic, but maybe an EB member can clarify this more properly

~Jirisys (THIS IS SPARTA!!!!! *flies off when a seleukid Somatophylakes Strategou charges to his front)

Quote Originally Posted by jirisys View Post
    umm but what if you use a hoplitai (regular, ekdromoi, spartiates, or haploi) then it would be greater the damage, let's not talk about bodyguard damage too, and i find it unrealistic, but maybe an EB member can clarify this more properly

~Jirisys (THIS IS SPARTA!!!!! *flies off when a seleukid Somatophylakes Strategou charges to his front)
    Umm, what are you trying to say? My point is that adding cavalry-scaring action to spearmen is unneccessary because cavalry lose anyways if you blindly charge them into hoplites, and they would become scared in otherwise perfect conditions.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    And horse cavalry somehow seem to have no problem firing missiles even though they are on the move. What do you mean by momentum when it comes to the game? If we're talking about charge, that's just another variable number, right?
    True, but they can't fire while in melee. They just get stuck. Anyway: I don't see how this addresses the problem. Chariots should behave differently from cavalry or elephants. Missile cavalry is perhaps closest to how the chariots themselves were used, but that does not simulate their melee power and disruptive ability properly (never mind them being redundant next to cheap missile cavalry). So the team went with elephants. Not perfect either, but now the unit is useful if fragile when properly employed, and the A.I. can get some use out of it too.

Quote Originally Posted by jirisys View Post
    Side note: why don't you put the trait "Intimidates cavalry" to the spearmen (especially phalanxes) since horses are reluctant to charge into a wall of spears, just a suggestion
    Except that it doesn't work that way. Cavalry should simply not respond to orders to charge into a spear walls. Using a morale penalty will not have that effect: it means that low-morale cav will rout near spearunits (whether these are formed, disorganized or looking another way), while high-quality cav will still charge and a rout a bit earlier.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I rather just see increased MAD from charging spears or formed infantry.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    True, but they can't fire while in melee. They just get stuck. Anyway: I don't see how this addresses the problem. Chariots should behave differently from cavalry or elephants. Missile cavalry is perhaps closest to how the chariots themselves were used, but that does not simulate their melee power and disruptive ability properly (never mind them being redundant next to cheap missile cavalry). So the team went with elephants. Not perfect either, but now the unit is useful if fragile when properly employed, and the A.I. can get some use out of it too.
    Thanks. That helps a bit. The problem is obviously a matter of what implications each choice of model base has. Thanks again.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Scythed Charioteer reenactor, someone?

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Chariots are based on elephants in the fact that they both share the same behaviour on battle. I think they are actually a whole unit class, apart from infantry or cavalry. There are several differencies between how chariots/elephants behave in battle compared to cavalry, here are some:

-Chariots/elephants can run down soldiers without actually killing them, only knocking them down. I think this is related to the mass of the mount, but i also think part of it is determined throught the unit type. I have not seen yet any infantry knocking down enemies on the charge, no matter how high mass they have.

-Chariots/elephants act like a hammer, they push into the enemy lines and then they lose most of their fighting power. This is similar to cavalry, but the actual animations of the chariots/elephants are much different and generally they first break the enemy ranks, then continue forward a bit, and then turn back to attack the enemy. A cavalry unit just charges in and do casualties on the charge, then they stay there in the front of the enemy unit and use their secondary weapons.

-I am not totally sure about this, but i think that this unit class (chariot/elephant) is vulnerable to thrown weapons (like javelins) much like the cavalry class is vulnerable to spearmen.

There are probably more differences but i hope those few serve to show the example, basically they are a different class of unit, neither cavalry or infantry, and they have their own behaviour in battle which is very different from the other two. Just watch closely how elephants and chariots behave in EBI and you will realise that except for their stats, models, textures and animations they share a lot of things.

Parthian Cataphract #03452 Member Zradha Pahlavan's Avatar
    Susa, near the left wing of the royal palace.

-I am not totally sure about this, but i think that this unit class (chariot/elephant) is vulnerable to thrown weapons (like javelins) much like the cavalry class is vulnerable to spearmen.
    Oh, it is. Numidian skirmishers and Parthian horse archers can wipe the floor with elephants.
    Parthian Nationalist

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bucefalo View Post
    Chariots are based on elephants in the fact that they both share the same behaviour on battle. I think they are actually a whole unit class, apart from infantry or cavalry. There are several differencies between how chariots/elephants behave in battle compared to cavalry, here are some:

-Chariots/elephants can run down soldiers without actually killing them, only knocking them down. I think this is related to the mass of the mount, but i also think part of it is determined throught the unit type. I have not seen yet any infantry knocking down enemies on the charge, no matter how high mass they have.

-Chariots/elephants act like a hammer, they push into the enemy lines and then they lose most of their fighting power. This is similar to cavalry, but the actual animations of the chariots/elephants are much different and generally they first break the enemy ranks, then continue forward a bit, and then turn back to attack the enemy. A cavalry unit just charges in and do casualties on the charge, then they stay there in the front of the enemy unit and use their secondary weapons.

There are probably more differences but i hope those few serve to show the example, basically they are a different class of unit, neither cavalry or infantry, and they have their own behaviour in battle which is very different from the other two. Just watch closely how elephants and chariots behave in EBI and you will realise that except for their stats, models, textures and animations they share a lot of things.
    I'm thrilled to see Charots will be able to break up wooden walls and gates in EB II

Maybe to gain a "skirmish" traits, you can switch their class to "skirmish cavalry", that class, as far as memory can tel, always give their "skirmish" ability, even with pure melee units.

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

They will? I find the physics in that very unrealistic, i don't think two horses can break a wall, their mass, speed and strenght is not that big (IMO)

~Jirisys (they will break the walls! With what?? Chariots!! Whaaaaaaaaa????? )

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

that was basically the same when I put a man as an elephant model, and have invisible rider on top of him.... they can break the walls with just sword! (it was the elephant's properties and behavior)

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

As far as i know elephants can´t break door walls in M2TW like they do in RTW. If you want to check how chariots are working in M2TW the mod TATW check the Rhun faction that have a unit of chariots, if you want to try them.

Parthian Cataphract #03452 Member Zradha Pahlavan's Avatar
    Susa, near the left wing of the royal palace.

They will? I find the physics in that very unrealistic, i don't think two horses can break a wall, their mass, speed and strenght is not that big (IMO)
    No, no, no, obviously the scythed chariots will be pulled by elephants so that they can go through walls. Incidentally, they'll also be amphibious.

Scythed Charioteer reenactor, someone?
    I've always wanted to do this. Finding people to reenact the guys getting charged by the chariot might be a bit difficult though.
    Parthian Nationalist

Quote Originally Posted by Zradha Pahlavan View Post
    I've always wanted to do this. Finding people to reenact the guys getting charged by the chariot might be a bit difficult though.
    Oh man, I will be one... and before you would butcher me with the chariot's blades you could ask me that: "IS THIS ISSUS?" and before I die I would yell at you that: "NO, THIS IS GAUGAMELA!"

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Wow, so much confusion about the chariots...

The EBII chariots are based on Bwian's work on model and animations, which led to the first chariot in MTW2. The 2 reasons why Bwian used the elephants as base were:
    - they were the closest type of mount that could handle more than 1 rider (as you know, horses in MTW2 can only have 1 rider, while elephants can have a variable number of riders)
    - the animations of the elephant could be adapted for the chariot

So, Bwian changed the skeleton to allow the bones for the chariot itself as well as for the 2 horses. Bwian also made extensive changes to the animations (awesome work, btw) so the horses could move in synchronized behavior. The only animation problem is when the chariot is in melee and the animation for the elephant's trunk attack kicks in... the effect is that the pair of horses are literally launched into the hair and then crash into the enemy formation... We will try to change that particular animation, so the horses will rear up and not the "elephant's trunk", but for now it's not a priority thing.

The side effect of using an elephant is obvious: the engine is made to launch the elephants into the melee and not to use them as skirmishers. We have tried several things to make them skirmishers only but they always end up crashing into the enemy formations.

Someone asked if it's possible to define the area of influence of the chariot/elephant: yes it is possible. This is specially visible when the unit is moving in a forested area. We gave a large area to the chariots, so they deal very badly with forested areas, since they have to make a lot of maneuvers to avoid the trees.

Many of the things that have been said in this thread take into account the unit mass used in vanilla MTW2. However, we have changed those values - the elephants now have between 15 and 20 of mass, while in vanilla they had 40 - so those conclusions may not apply in EB2. The elephants can pass through most units, but they are specially vulnerable against phalanxes because these also have a large bounding sphere, so the elephants may crash only a few lines before getting tangled and then the massive anti-cavalry bonus of the phalanx kills them with some ease. We still have to do some extensive testing to see if those masses are ok (horses have between 3 and 3.5, while chariots have 10 to 14) but our initial testing showed these values are very good already.

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

Thanks JMRC. That clears up all confusion in my mind.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

More good news is that I have been playtesting a new chariot unit, and although they still don't skirmish, in terms of moving out of range when an enemy unit advances, they do stop short of the enemy formations so long as they have javelins to throw. So that's something.
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12