Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [EB] Any help for beating skullhead?

Default [EB] Any help for beating skullhead?

Skullheadhq nearly always beats me so i started to use some lame box tactic (surprisingly it works sometimes but most of the time's not). So can any one help me beating he's Arke army, most of the time he use's medium phalanx, 2 getai, some medium spearmen and 1 or 2 kathapraktoi.

Klibanophoros Ton Rhomaioktono Member Duguntz's Avatar

Default Re: Any help for beating skullhead?

Loll, that's the best of the day! almost everyone here advised him (skullheadhq) to beat you and your box! Welcome on the forum by the way! Tell in details what he usualy does to beat you?
    Opinions are like bacteries : we all have, but it's better to keep them for ourself... (By me!)

generously given by Nachtmeister
    generously given by Macilrille for Sweboz combat tactics
    Generously given by Brennus

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Use the... *looking for Sata or Maion arround* MARIAN ROMANS

made sure you got some Cohors Envocatae to spearhead your formations, some Antesignani To hold your flank (and skewering Catass), and fill the rest with Cohors Reformatae. Having some Eqvites Gallorvm to watch your flank is handy...

and first trick, run your Evocatae in front of his phalanx (but not close obviously, but close enough), made testudo formation, and drove them right inside his phalanx (notice, testudo defense shield bonus will made them almost invulnerable to phalanx attack). once they break through the phalanx, remove the Envocatae from testudo formations, and slaughter those macedonians from inside! fill the gaps created with more Cohors reformatae to flank and set a full panic in his army, finish off with cavalry charges...

and made sure you hire a Mistophoroi Toxotai Kretikoi or two, in case he bring some unarmoured men...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

he usually sets his phalanx right to mine's (when i'm not using the box) and strangely his medium are defeating my elite's. When i'm trying to protect the flanks his geisatai and medium troops defeat my flank troops( most of the time some heavy swordman and a bit of cavalry). If that happens i already know i can't win. In a last desperate reformation i try to make sure that his troops don't get any more into my flanks. That doesn't work and i let most of my units route, so he doesn't get a heroic victory.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Danos13 View Post
    he usually sets his phalanx right to mine's (when i'm not using the box) and strangely his medium are defeating my elite's. When i'm trying to protect the flanks his geisatai and medium troops defeat my flank troops( most of the time some heavy swordman and a bit of cavalry). If that happens i already know i can't win. In a last desperate reformation i try to make sure that his troops don't get any more into my flanks. That doesn't work and i let most of my units route, so he doesn't get a heroic victory.
    what is "Elite" troops you refer too? if you means Epeirote Chaoneioan Agema, or Hypaspistai, any Armour Piercing units will made such short works on them... use low armoured units (preferably drapanai if you play as Epeirotes) to pwn them

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    what is "Elite" troops you refer too? if you means Epeirote Chaoneioan Agema, or Hypaspistai, any Armour Piercing units will made such short works on them... use low armoured units (preferably drapanai if you play as Epeirotes) to pwn them
    I'll upload the replay.

EDIT: http://www.mediafire.com/?wn4y2mw1n2l
    Last edited by Skullheadhq; 05-17-2010 at 18:46.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    i referred to elite phalanxs

Just watch the replay, and how did you even find this forum?
    Last edited by Skullheadhq; 05-17-2010 at 18:51.

i just went to europabarbarorum.com and saw this forum at links, when i saw your profile i joined to see the thread about my "mighty" box

Ah ha ha ha ha ha, just as I said, "your friend is welcome to come and ask for advice as well" or the like. I love it.

No time, might get back to you. Sweboz FTW!!

And welcome, hope you stay, participate and enjoy.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

This is hilarious!

Anyway:

Are your phalanxes set to guard mode? IIRC phalanxes fighting other phalanxes should not be in guard mode, as opposed to when fighting other kinds of troops. And don't order your phalangites to attack. Just move close enough and they will engage by themselves. Please correct me someone if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Paltmull; 05-17-2010 at 20:01.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Short answer to your question: impossible. Strategos Skull has experience. Nothing beats experience.
    ~Maion

If that was so, swordsmasters would never be replaced as such. Which they are, as those they train overtake them; being trained by and fighting against the best always advances you fastest. And in this case Skully, though undoubtedly a good player, got advice from us as well as training/coaching from Fluvius on how to deal with the Noob Box. If Danos listens to advice and recieve training, he too can do it.

Phalanxes are overpowered, so beating them is difficult. But can be done. Especially using the small tricks of the trade that experienced MPs know, but that new guys, including me, do not.

Danos, you might benefit from looking here.
    Last edited by Macilrille; 05-17-2010 at 20:21.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

WHAHAH

This is quite funny, I should charge balloons for tactical advice.

Well??

On a more serious note, when I get more spare time I might help you out, if Skullheadhq doesn't mind of course. I might even school you in MP like I did with Skull. Although Cute Wolf's advice will probably help a lot already.

Edit:@Skullheadhq, straks zit je hele klas toch niet op dit forum he?

~Fluvius
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 05-17-2010 at 22:29.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Sang Hulu Jurit Balamati Member plutoboyz's Avatar
    Near a dammed warlike tribe called "Indonesian"

Phalanx?
    I would bring horse archer, kata, elephant, and some heavy infantry. use saka.

Use the... *looking for Sata or Maion arround* MARIAN ROMANS
    May I please quote you on this? PLEEEEAAASSEEEE???? -M
    My Balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by Paltmull View Post
    Are your phalanxes set to guard mode? IIRC phalanxes fighting other phalanxes should not be in guard mode, as opposed to when fighting other kinds of troops. And don't order your phalangites to attack. Just move close enough and they will engage by themselves. Please correct me someone if I'm wrong.
    I'm not so sure. Phalangites can use guard mode or no guard mode. And none of these units 'auto-engage'. When not on guard mode, they like to steam-roll the enemy, auto-engaging if you haven't told them to attack. On guard mode, they won't engage unless you order them to attack. Still on guard mode, only those units disturbed will be reprimanded. Those in next rows in the phalanx will not come forth to attack. In any case, if you have a pike army versus a Roman or other sword army, you better be playing on the Alex engine because the phalanx bug consistently strikes fear into the pike player. With a bug like that, your non-guard mode phalanxes cannot steam-roll the enemy like it should. Instead, it likes to dance to the side, or even backwards. Phalanx bug: priceless...

If anything, the loser of the game deserves more than the winner.

P.S. Skullhead, I'd like to see you on my battlefield.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    I'm not so sure. Phalangites can use guard mode or no guard mode. And none of these units 'auto-engage'. When not on guard mode, they like to steam-roll the enemy, auto-engaging if you haven't told them to attack. On guard mode, they won't engage unless you order them to attack. Still on guard mode, only those units disturbed will be reprimanded. Those in next rows in the phalanx will not come forth to attack. In any case, if you have a pike army versus a Roman or other sword army, you better be playing on the Alex engine because the phalanx bug consistently strikes fear into the pike player. With a bug like that, your non-guard mode phalanxes cannot steam-roll the enemy like it should. Instead, it likes to dance to the side, or even backwards. Phalanx bug: priceless...
    Uhuh, the guard mode is of course a lot more defensive, and should be used to pin down the enemy while flanking troops do the killing. This works great when fighting non-phalanx- units, since they are very unlikely to break through the phalanx formation. Other phalangites, on the other hand, will damage your phalangites - and I was under the impression that using the defensive guard mode wouldn't be very effective against another more agressive pike unit. But I might be wrong, my phalanx experience is quite limited.

The phalanx bug is a pain of course; but since guard mode works fine against non- phalangites it isn't really a problem, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Paltmull View Post
    Uhuh, the guard mode is of course a lot more defensive, and should be used to pin down the enemy while flanking troops do the killing. This works great when fighting non-phalanx- units, since they are very unlikely to break through the phalanx formation. Other phalangites, on the other hand, will damage your phalangites - and I was under the impression that using the defensive guard mode wouldn't be very effective against another more agressive pike unit. But I might be wrong, my phalanx experience is quite limited.

The phalanx bug is a pain of course; but since guard mode works fine against non- phalangites it isn't really a problem, in my opinion.
    Against other phalangites, you would require more ranks, less frontage, and guard off, to push. Guard mode sword vs guard mode pike is a problem. Your flanks will be destroyed and you will lose the game if you don't use your pikes offensively. Guard mode pikes do not kill. Enemy does not engage, sits in guard mode in front of your pikes. Nothing happens since neither of you engage each other, except for your losses on the flanks. Simple as that. So best thing to do is pray that when you turn guard off and press the attack, that your game won't suddenly become "Michael Jackson: Total War" due to all the moonwalking you will start to notice. Note: music is not included.
    Former Projects:

Varangarchos ton Romaioktonon Member Hannibal Khan the Great's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    So best thing to do is pray that when you turn guard off and press the attack, that your game won't suddenly become "Michael Jackson: Total War" due to all the moonwalking you will start to notice. Note: music is not included.
    I feel the need to sig this. Does Vartan approve?
    from Megas Methuselah for helping with city names from Hooahguy for my sig

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Actually what you need to do with phalanx vs phalanx is to line up the attacking block head on. Otherwise your unit will start turning or shuffling weairdly because its tries to turn to hit the direct center but the phalangites on the edges can't move forward so the hwole block starts spinning or going backwards.

Its not that unpredictable once you get the technique down.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 05-18-2010 at 04:24.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    Actually what you need to do with phalanx vs phalanx is to line up the attacking block head on. Otherwise your unit will start turning or shuffling weairdly because its tries to turn to hit the direct center but the phalangites on the edges can't move forward so the hwole block starts spinning or going backwards.

Its not that unpredictable once you get the technique down.
    Not a problem in Alex. If making deeper syntagmata, put gaps in between the blocks, each block aligned with the opposing pike blocks. They will attack the center and won't turn as they are aligned.
    Former Projects:

Deep ranks pushing, That reminds me of the swiss pike push......
    for Being Anti-Romaioktonoi.

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Are you using BI.exe? If so, try putting units on shield wall, without guard mode, and attack the phalanx. This, from my experience, is very effective.

How much money do you have to work with?

Then, I can give some advice.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post
    Are you using BI.exe? If so, try putting units on shield wall, without guard mode, and attack the phalanx. This, from my experience, is very effective.

50000 for units without upgrades because of some occurs in the past

That doesn't work and i let most of my units route, so he doesn't get a heroic victory.
    See how he ruins my fun!

Here is what I did the last time:

He got eight units of elite phalangitai in the standard formation. Then I just lined up my five mixed elite/medium phalangitai in a thin line to keep him busy. Yet I didn't attack him
    Thanks to me spending less on phalangitai I could afford more heavy infantry and cavalry. I got some Gaesatae (for shock effect, both for units and player) and some heavy cavelry. All that units I placed on one flank and started moving with it to his smaller non-phalangita infantry/cavalry force that he placed on the opposing flank when he saw my infantry/cav. After a short skirmish I routed that non phalangitai-cav force and proceded to attack his phalangitai from the back. Thanks to my 5 phalangitai standing right in front of his, I could slaughter one unit at a time.

@Fluvius
    Ik heb geprobeerd om ze hiervandaan te houden, maar blijkbaar vinden ze het toch, bereid je voor op 28 nieuwe leden :D. En ik heb er geen probleem mee als je wat met hem oefent, dat maakt het voor mij ook weer uitdagender.
    Last edited by Skullheadhq; 05-18-2010 at 14:56.

U14 Footballer Member G. Septimus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pikeman View Post
    Deep ranks pushing, That reminds me of the swiss pike push......
    what about the Swiss Knife Push? Remember that?

Never tried that before...
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

Sang Hulu Jurit Balamati Member plutoboyz's Avatar
    Near a dammed warlike tribe called "Indonesian"

try fullstack of grivpanvar. beat them one by one.

Quote Originally Posted by plutoboyz View Post
    try fullstack of grivpanvar. beat them one by one.
    Yeah, go Cav against a human controlled Hellenistic factions, sounds like a good idea.

@Gamegeek
    No, just RTW.exe
    Last edited by Skullheadhq; 05-18-2010 at 15:00.

Blog Entries

Use the same style of army...^^
    Kataphraktoi are a pain in the ass...

If you are doing a phalanx box, then form a hexagon with hoplitai or hypaspitai in the corners so he cant atack you there. Than place some cretans or slingers in the middle of the box and try too shoot at his cavallery.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast