Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: EB Online Tourney: July 2010 - Special Anniversary Edition

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Re: EB Online Tourney: July 2010 - Special Anniversary Edition

33K just worked for the Romans decently well last time and if you go no chevrons then the Romans will just grab some elephant mercs because they have so much extra money.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    33K just worked for the Romans decently well last time and if you go no chevrons then the Romans will just grab some elephant mercs because they have so much extra money.
    Done. (Chev only gives 1atk 1def and 1morale AFAIK so...not too bad.)
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

I think its 2 morale which is what mad my Romans ridiculously hard to break.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

I think its 2 morale which is what mad my Romans ridiculously hard to break.
    Oh that's not too bad. All I can say is "Great". Now we have to either fear elephants or all-chevron Roman units. No need to fear. Oh well. Maybe it simulates the awesomeness of historical Romans. I don't know. Help. Please.
    Former Projects:

Isn't it a bit harsh, no chevrons for Romani, 33k and elite restrictions? Also the Marian units are more expensive than the Pre-Marians, what about them?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    Real life is a __ to me too. Yeah...not good to curse publicly. Anyways, if I see you on you should be rest assured that I will contact YOU, not the other way around. If you don't want to bother with the network adapter priority settings, just uninstall Hamachi. Make sure you check the box that says uninstall user settings, etc. Then reinstall and do not touch the settings. Turn off your firewall, and then and only then will you surely be able to see yourself and others in the Lan Lobby. If you still don't, then it is an ISP problem. Some ISP's do not allow for VPN software like Hamachi. That is rare but unfortunate. My efforts are with you Celtic Viking.
    Thank you; I'll try this now.

Edit: Done. You should be able to find me on EB Online #1.

Quote Originally Posted by vartan
    Thank you. Finally, our much needed 3rd member. Any more will be fine until a max of 10, to allow for any set of 3 to be present when needed.
    If I can't get MP to work for me I could sign up as a jury member instead.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 06-01-2010 at 12:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Apázlinemjó View Post
    Isn't it a bit harsh, no chevrons for Romani, 33k and elite restrictions? Also the Marian units are more expensive than the Pre-Marians, what about them?
    Yeah, that's a complicated issue, and i think it would be good if we, participants in this tourney, discuss it.

Anyway: here's my opinion. Something has to be changed. Yesterday i fought a battle against a polybian Romans and, objectively, my opponent had far more superior troops than mine. Take this example: 4 units of hastati broke my main line composed of heavy infantry + 1 unit of African elite pikemen. They were chevroned, fcourse, i had absolutely no money for chevrons. Situation was that just hastati and one unit of principes were able rout my main line, composed of elites and some spearmen. In reserve i had only few units of levies, while Romans had like 4 units of triari and cca 4 units of principes just for flanking job (their hastati were, i repeat, chevroned and able to kill my main line).
    I had no troops to face Roman outflankers: just some light infantry and that's it.

That's not fair!

One more example: one unit of polybian principes/hastati cost cca 1200 minai: as non-Roman player, what can someone else take for the same sum of money?... Celtic spearmen? That's an absurde. In addition to that, Romans can put a chevron on the unit of principes and hastati, and win only because of the stats of their army: no creativity is needed in such situation to won a battle, because you can only send your troops and watch them winning. And that misses the main point of tournaments like this, imho: battles need to be challenging, and anyone who wants to win must be creative in battle process...

That's why i found that there's no point to fight chevroned Romans, they're too strong and only a blind man could lose playing with them. That's why i decided not to fight such kind of battles anymore, it's simply not fair.

Listen up men. Roman units are cheap. Romans had reserves and reserves of manpower. There is no denying this. Romans can even get 1 chevron per unit just like the rest of us. The only Romans that can only use 33k are the pre-Marians. And 8 elite limit for Romans of any era...you call this harsh? Bring 8/20 units of Triarii and let's call that harsh. We're talking 40% of your army...elite. Romans were professional soldiers. But this doesn't justify nor represent any truths...almost half elite? 8 is certainly generous IMHO, because half of those can be elite cavalry, and the rest elite infantry. Romans don't have the best cavalry, so you might as well muster a strong elite reserve force. There's no excuse to losing battles if half of your men are reserve and elite, is there?

Just some food for thought, nothing final. Let me hear some thoughts.
    Former Projects:

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Yeah; Romans get a cost reduction for their infantry (might be cavalry too but I don't know) because of their legendary ability to raise new legions to replace lost ones. AFAIK, this would however not have an effect on single, isolated battles such as MP ones, so IMO the cost reduction shouldn't be there. Thus giving Romans a lesser sum of money to play around with is completely justified AFAIC.

Regarding elites... I'd say 8 is a generous figure.

One last thing: I just checked, and MP works for me now. I'm a definite member of this tourny.

Listen up men. Roman units are cheap. Romans had reserves and reserves of manpower. There is no denying this. Romans can even get 1 chevron per unit just like the rest of us. The only Romans that can only use 33k are the pre-Marians. And 8 elite limit for Romans of any era...you call this harsh? Bring 8/20 units of Triarii and let's call that harsh. We're talking 40% of your army...elite. Romans were professional soldiers. But this doesn't justify nor represent any truths...almost half elite? 8 is certainly generous IMHO, because half of those can be elite cavalry, and the rest elite infantry. Romans don't have the best cavalry, so you might as well muster a strong elite reserve force. There's no excuse to losing battles if half of your men are reserve and elite, is there?

Just some food for thought, nothing final. Let me hear some thoughts.
    Lawl, I was talking about the restrictions on the Romani altogether, but if they can buy the +1 chevron, then it's cool. And I came up with 8 elite limit, remember? You don't need to explain that to me. ;-)
    Last edited by Apázlinemjó; 06-01-2010 at 21:34.

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Apaz I have really bad recent-term memory and I usually don't go back looking through posts to refresh aforementioned awful memory. So I sincerely apologize. Thanks for your feedback. Celtic you were Arverni right...

EDIT: **** me. Have you on the player list already...
    Former Projects:

Rome is only all that great when you cav spam with Extraordinarii. :-\ Their infantry is quite durable but if you can grab mass Sweboz of Getai units then the Romans don't really do anything.

Also Carthage is really weird to play.

Rome is only all that great when you cav spam with Extraordinarii. :-\ Their infantry is quite durable but if you can grab mass Sweboz of Getai units then the Romans don't really do anything.

Also Carthage is really weird to play.
    I want to try them with the new rules, is someone out there with Alex.exe?

Varangarchos ton Romaioktonon Member Hannibal Khan the Great's Avatar

The Romani rules should count with Marians too since their legions come in such a large unit size.
    from Megas Methuselah for helping with city names from Hooahguy for my sig

I want to try them with the new rules, is someone out there with Alex.exe?
    Alex is no longer mentioned anywhere on the site if you haven't noticed already. Ownership isn't as universal as I hoped. It isn't a problem if people know how to use their units in a bug-free fashion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Khan the Great View Post
    The Romani rules should count with Marians too since their legions come in such a large unit size.
    They are meant and supposed to come in great numbers...the only Roman rule that applies to a portion of Romans it the budget rule (33k pre-Marian).
    Former Projects:

Alex is no longer mentioned anywhere on the site if you haven't noticed already. Ownership isn't as universal as I hoped. It isn't a problem if people know how to use their units in a bug-free fashion.
    Well that's sad, I have Alex.exe MP only, till I get home.

Well that's sad, I have Alex.exe MP only, till I get home.
    I'm sorry I don't understand. You mean you can only play EB Online using Alex? Hmm...I must be misunderstanding. You can play EB...SP or MP...with ALX or RTW. That's 4 combinations. What am I missing?
    Former Projects:

I'd like to join as Pontos please.

I'm sorry I don't understand. You mean you can only play EB Online using Alex? Hmm...I must be misunderstanding. You can play EB...SP or MP...with ALX or RTW. That's 4 combinations. What am I missing?
    My problem is, that I have BI and Alexander installed too, so my game is updated. The EB trivial script launches EB with the Alexander version. So I don't know how I could play with the original 1.5 RTW.exe on MP without reinstalling the whole game.
    Last edited by Apázlinemjó; 06-04-2010 at 10:32.

Can I participate as Pahlava?
    Proud Roman General

My problem is, that I have BI and Alexander installed too, so my game is updated. The EB trivial script launches EB with the Alexander version. So I don't know how I could play with the original 1.5 RTW.exe on MP without reinstalling the whole game.
    Easy. Create a shortcut on your desktop to the file RomeTW.exe located in your Rome: Total War directory. Open the properties folder of the newly created shortcut and where it says "Target:" add a space at the end of the line and add parametres so it reads something like this: "...\[your RTW folder]\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:eb

Make sure your Configuration software (Trivial Script program located in the start menu under Europa Barbarorum) reads Multiplayer in the drop down menu, and that you click Save & Exit so that it switches the EDU for you. Then you can run the game using the new shortcut to play EB "vanilla" (RTW engine) with all of us. Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Aulus Caecina Severus View Post
    Can I participate as Pahlava?
    As an exception to the use-your-Guild-username rule, can I put you under ACS because I know you use that on Hamachi and we all know you as "ACS"...?
    Former Projects:

Easy. Create a shortcut on your desktop to the file RomeTW.exe located in your Rome: Total War directory. Open the properties folder of the newly created shortcut and where it says "Target:" add a space at the end of the line and add parametres so it reads something like this: "...\[your RTW folder]\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:eb

Make sure your Configuration software (Trivial Script program located in the start menu under Europa Barbarorum) reads Multiplayer in the drop down menu, and that you click Save & Exit so that it switches the EDU for you. Then you can run the game using the new shortcut to play EB "vanilla" (RTW engine) with all of us. Welcome.
    Tried that before, at the loading screen it still says that I'm using alex. Though I have to admit, I didn't check the lobby with this config yet. Let's try it & thanks.

Edit: It works, interesting, it still says I'm using alex, anyway thanks again.
    Last edited by Apázlinemjó; 06-04-2010 at 19:11.

Tried that before, at the loading screen it still says that I'm using alex. Though I have to admit, I didn't check the lobby with this config yet. Let's try it & thanks.

Edit: It works, interesting, it still says I'm using alex, anyway thanks again.
    I can safely assume you're not a modder, at least not a very major and serious modder. Don't worry, me neither. But I'm savvy enough to know what I need to know. So I'll let you in on the info. The so-called Alex indicator you speak of isn't an indicator at all. Now, I'm going to unleash the 5 year old inside me. It could say RUGRATS or Jo Momma! if it so pleased. It is simply an image file that is arranged so that the image of Alexander graphical text is display in the centre bottom of the load screen. It is not an indicator at all, but simply an image. It is in your hands which executable you use. That's why I gave you the shortcut tip. So keep that shortcut and make sure you're on the Multiplayer EDU every time you play with other people. Have fun.
    Former Projects:

I can safely assume you're not a modder, at least not a very major and serious modder. Don't worry, me neither. But I'm savvy enough to know what I need to know. So I'll let you in on the info. The so-called Alex indicator you speak of isn't an indicator at all. Now, I'm going to unleash the 5 year old inside me. It could say RUGRATS or Jo Momma! if it so pleased. It is simply an image file that is arranged so that the image of Alexander graphical text is display in the centre bottom of the load screen. It is not an indicator at all, but simply an image. It is in your hands which executable you use. That's why I gave you the shortcut tip. So keep that shortcut and make sure you're on the Multiplayer EDU every time you play with other people. Have fun.
    Thanksfor the info too.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

vartan - You can mark me as a Jury member in the future tourneys as well. I can't play MP(pc can't handle online gaming) but I can help you and this competition this way.

Also, I like the part from the Rules where it is said that people have to admire the Jury members.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    vartan - You can mark me as a Jury member in the future tourneys as well. I can't play MP(pc can't handle online gaming) but I can help you and this competition this way.

Also, I like the part from the Rules where it is said that people have to admire the Jury members.
    Thank you Ibn-Khaldun. It is much appreciated indeed. And you do set a good example because, although I won't name names, there are several folks that I spotted have machines not strong enough for online play, save a few 1v1 battles on Large or Normal. Let me be honest. 1v1 battles are fun on Huge and are alright on Large. 2v2 and 3v3 battles are fine on large, and 4v4 battles simply should be Normal-sized battles. Simply coalesce your teammates' armies into one big army and start your fight. It can be frustrating when you find yourself spending more time looking for a game that work instead of actually fighting a battle.
    Former Projects:

Thank you Ibn-Khaldun. It is much appreciated indeed. And you do set a good example because, although I won't name names, there are several folks that I spotted have machines not strong enough for online play, save a few 1v1 battles on Large or Normal. Let me be honest. 1v1 battles are fun on Huge and are alright on Large. 2v2 and 3v3 battles are fine on large, and 4v4 battles simply should be Normal-sized battles. Simply coalesce your teammates' armies into one big army and start your fight. It can be frustrating when you find yourself spending more time looking for a game that work instead of actually fighting a battle.
    I gues I'll be playing as the Romani then. Been playing around with Camillans.

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx300 View Post
    I gues I'll be playing as the Romani then. Been playing around with Camillans.
    Vartan, is there only one spot per faction, if so. Count me as Seleukids, if not, I still can't decide.

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Gaius Crastinus Faction: Romani (Rome) Sing me in ! :)

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Crastinus View Post
    Gaius Crastinus Faction: Romani (Rome) Sing me in ! :)
    Lalala Gaius Crastinus... lalalala....

All right that was not funny.

Welcome to the forums Gaius Crastinus! Enjoy your stay here!

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast