Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, there's one good thing that we know about Shogun 2 ...

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Well, there's one good thing that we know about Shogun 2 ...

...brought back the oldies and regulars.
    I am actually really glad to see the oldies back in here.

Welcome back everyone, and let us hope Shogun 2 will give us some serious entertainment.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Default Re: Well, there's one good thing that we know about Shogun 2 ...

Yes indeed edyz! Let's hope S2TW re-invigorates the franchise and re-energizes the community so the old guard and the young guard enjoy TW together - be it SP or MP.
    This space intentionally left blank

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How can they enjoy TW together in SP?
    Both start playing campaigns in the same time? End their turn in the same time?
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 06-12-2010 at 23:20. Reason: missin.. leter..

The announcement really got me shaking. Hell, I reinstalled STW and completed the campaign once again. Shogun: Total War was a very important game for me as through it I discovered a love for all things Japanese and world history in general.

Glad to post at The Org again, been a long time - lots of good times and some, mea culpa, bad times. I'm sorry for a lot of the bad stuff. Then again I was admin here during STW so it feels good roaming back here.
    Last edited by Tera; 06-13-2010 at 00:42.

The Order of Kenchikuka

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

It's nice to have old timers back again. I just wonder why they left and where they went while gone. If it is any of my business! :)
    Silence is beautiful

Shogun Total War helped propel me into a long study of all things Japanese and samurai. :D I think I would only enjoy it more, knowing what I know now. The various clans, weapons, and the politics of the time. It was a great game. :D Simple, but full of depth.

These days I even study Shinkage-ryu and other forms of swordsmanship. As well as making myself well versed with Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" and the Yagyu book of Munenori Yagyu, "The Mind and the Sword." So, it certainly had an impact... XD

I can't wait to return to Sengoku Japan!
    "Hope is the Last to Die" Russian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by A Nerd View Post
    It's nice to have old timers back again. I just wonder why they left and where they went while gone. If it is any of my business! :)
    The big shift in the community happened when RTW was released. It was a great game - worthy of many accolades - and a huge, well deserved commercial success for CA. However, it was also radically different than STW/MTW from both SP and MP perspectives. It attracted a new, huge crowd but also disappointed a lot of people who played the game since the first days of Shogun and were accustomed to the old way of playing Total War games. Ever since then, I've spoken to many old TW players who have been trying desperately to recapture the old feelings - I guess the announcement of STW2 was really exciting for former addicted old school players!

As for "where they were in the meantime", I can tell you my personal experience. Back in 2005 - Magyar Khan, Monsta, Swoosh, myself and quite a few other ex-TW players - founded a World of Warcraft guild which we played in for years! ;-)

The Order of Kenchikuka

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

As for "where they were in the meantime", I can tell you my personal experience. Back in 2005 - Magyar Khan, Monsta, Swoosh, myself and quite a few other ex-TW players - founded a World of Warcraft guild which we played in for years! ;-)
    Thanks for the insight!
    Silence is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Tera View Post
    The announcement really got me shaking. Hell, I reinstalled STW and completed the campaign once again. Shogun: Total War was a very important game for me as through it I discovered a love for all things Japanese and world history in general.

Glad to post at The Org again, been a long time - lots of good times and some, mea culpa, bad times. I'm sorry for a lot of the bad stuff. Then again I was admin here during STW so it feels good roaming back here.
    Tera, I'm sure I've heard of you. Wait, I've defiantly heard of you. I always assumed you were one of those internet myths though. Anyway, welcome home.

As for S2TW, I'm still not sold. After recent CA games I've lost pretty much all faith in the franchise and can't see me ever really picking it up again, unless it improves by leaps and bounds. Regrettably, the component of the game I loved so much, the Multi-player, despite all its flaws, I fear will be lacking again. I guess my love for the franchise has completely died. I want it to succeed though, if only to capture a figment of what the game used to be and to keep on driving traffic to our dear forum.
    Last edited by tibilicus; 06-13-2010 at 02:43.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Quote Originally Posted by Tera View Post
    The big shift in the community happened when RTW was released. It was a great game - worthy of many accolades - and a huge, well deserved commercial success for CA. However, it was also radically different than STW/MTW from both SP and MP perspectives. It attracted a new, huge crowd but also disappointed a lot of people who played the game since the first days of Shogun and were accustomed to the old way of playing Total War games. Ever since then, I've spoken to many old TW players who have been trying desperately to recapture the old feelings - I guess the announcement of STW2 was really exciting for former addicted old school players!

You know.... I was psyched about Rome either. I never bought the game. I liked the atmosphere of Shogun and M TW 1 more. The Classical area didn't seem to offer me much. Except the ability to fight Rome... XD

M TW 2 was a good game though, that I enjoyed thorughly.

Due to my computer's diminished specs though... I can no longer play M2 TW. (And I lost STW and M TW 1.) So I'm planning on getting RTW and am actually quite psyched for it. :D A lot of people enjoyed it. I'm giving it a try pretty late... but it might hold me over until I get a better computer.

MTW 2 was amazing. XD and I hope Shogun 2 will be as well. :D
    "Hope is the Last to Die" Russian Proverb

Autocrat Member Vlad The Impaler's Avatar

Nice to see some old STW players posting again here; I never played online, although I am lurking around from about 10 years; at that moment, the internet was at the beggining around here (Romania) and the game was not present in internet cafes; and than MTW arrived with the mods and stuff and less online.

I remember the old clans, war stories (Maltz?) and I hope to see again that great atmosphere of the old sword dojo; I would like to see STW old days back, maybe this time I will have time (because "logistics" I have) for online;

And now I am heading to expectations topics for filling some lines; I always considered STW as an old friend, which remember me one of the best periods of my life;
    Tough Times Don't Last. Tough People Do. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. [Mark Twain]

It's good to be back, albeit with a new user id. I used to come here every day in the STW and MTW/BI early days.

Hmmm, can't edit my post, I've been working for about 50 hours on a samurai battle of Sengoku Jidai website. See here if interested: http://sites.google.com/site/samuraibattles/home

If we can get the STW atmosphere into the new one, I'd consider the game a huge success...

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

and thankfully this forum is now out of the deep funk that ETW brought about....
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nakandakari Lobato View Post
    Hmmm, can't edit my post, I've been working for about 50 hours on a samurai battle of Sengoku Jidai website. See here if interested: http://sites.google.com/site/samuraibattles/home
    Junior members can't edit posts. PM Tosa, he may be able to reactivate your old account.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

Let's hope that the old community has a chance to be re-created. It would be a big ask though.

As for where did all the 'oldies' go.

Some just gave up and left. Others, like myself, embraced the new games.

RTW, M2TW, ETW and the present NTW.

Each has its own play style, you just have a new learning curve.

The biggest problem was the computer specs required to play the newer games.

It can be costly having to upgrade or buy new PCs just to keep up with them.
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nakandakari Lobato View Post
    Fantastic web site

I see you have some of my old sword practice videos (not), when I was younger of course

And I wanted to ask why Ten To Chi To (1990) was not on your film list?

I have a feeling that that film was as visually inspirational to Shogun 2 as Ran was to the first Shogun.

Not wanting to go off topic, please pm me with a response.

And thank you for all of your hard work.

Magnificent!

Welecome Back All!!!
    Last edited by Tomisama; 06-13-2010 at 16:24.
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Ya I havent been here either for about 3 or so years myself. Havent played anything in-depth since Rome. After hearing of this gam, I just reinstalled STW and am looking for a good mod to place in and get going! No matter how many of these games come out I keep going back to Shogun.
    *Bows, turn to return to darkness...bumps head. Looks around, pertends noone saw. Dissapears in the shadows while cursing at self.*

I couldnt agree more that it is great to see old forum legends returning and not just that.We seem to be getting also new formidable members as well.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Just keeps getting better and better!

The skin helps the mood as well.

Proud

Been to:

Senior Member Senior Member Kurando's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    I couldnt agree more that it is great to see old forum legends returning and not just that.We seem to be getting also new formidable members as well.
    That would be just great to see! There were so many incredible personalities who have some and gone over the years; I think STW2 will go a long way towards bringing them back to celebrate the continuation of the franchise. It's a good thing, and it's in good hands. I'm really looking forward to this one, on so many levels!
    Modern civilization is a vast conspiracy against silence

Intentionally or not multiplayer STW was very good. I never really enjoyed MTW multiplayer as much (although it wasnt bad) and RTW dashed my hopes of ever re-visiting that STW MP experience. Coupled with the attitude of CA towards MP and their complete focus on the single player aspect in those days made me leave and find my PvP fix in other online games.

Autocrat Member Vlad The Impaler's Avatar

gah!
    Tough Times Don't Last. Tough People Do. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. [Mark Twain]

All we need now is some head soup!
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I hope they do the old game justice.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

I left when Rome came as it was a total mess in MP, we had a great community and it was pretty much destroyed by that shocking mess. It took me a long time to look again and I went over to Eve Online for 5 years and then WoW.
    Came back with NTW but I'm not a great fan of the period even though I really like the SP and the MPs ok, have also been trying MTW2 online which isnt bad.
    Lets hope they get it right this time would be great to see many more old faces back though.
    One enemy is too many a hundred friends too few.

AggonySpoon, MizuSpoon, EuroSpoon, Linkspoon Li

I never went away. I just hung around like a fart in a spacesuit.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

Hello Tera
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

Good to see some old timers returning / being more active, helps bring back all the good old memories. Also would like to say hello Tera! :>
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast