Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About a cheap ways to win in Eb online battles

Default Re: About a cheap ways to win in Eb online battles

Quote Originally Posted by Apázlinemjó View Post
    This is a multiplayer tournament, there are victors and losers after each battle. One side won't really enjoy the matches, you can't avoid that. If you want to win, do whatever it takes to win without violating the rules, after all, this is a competition. If you want to have a nice army with nice elites, do a campaign. Guard mode Romani are beatable, every army composition is beatable, if you don't want to change your tactics then live with the fact, you will be defeated by these players always.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    Changing Rome's budget won't really do anything since that just makes them completely fail in the cavalry department. Its viable in Polybian because allied cav is priced correctly. Like I said, play a lower money. Its not as predictable or silly.
    Except predictable and silly seem to be on opposite sides of the spectrum here. 36k tends to be the predictable, 24k the silly. Either is spam, just a matter of what you choose to spam.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I still hate your metaphors.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

I still hate your metaphors.
    Ah, and that's the beauty of them.
    Former Projects:

Its the guard mode of EBOT debate.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Rahwana's Avatar
    Abduct Shinta, and doing something bad with her
    Blog Entries

EB unit statistics are perfected for single player campaign, well, that's true, but in the MP, I think we should raise every non roman infantry units by 10 men except gaesatae...
    Angkara Murka di Macapada

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    EB unit statistics are perfected for single player campaign, well, that's true, but in the MP, I think we should raise every non roman infantry units by 10 men except gaesatae...
    10 men won't cut it if you wish to take a numerical volume approach as opposed to a cost, a unit statistics, or other approach. Besides, since RTW uses scaling, I assume you mean 10 more men at the normal level. A percentage increase would be better! We can always enjoy the futile approaches, though. And not feel bad about it. I personally enjoy the stats and balancing the developers of EB have done. It makes the game fairly enjoyable.
    Former Projects:

Blog Entries

yeah, perhaps if given time, we should the spreadsheet calculations, but then... well.... we don't know clearly what's cost - statistics calculation formula for EB units then....

@ 24K, Rome can buy like a general's bodyguard and 14 units. Gauls can buy a full 20 units if they want. So I don't see why people who complain about Rome aren't trying to play at lower money for a while.

@ 24K, Rome can buy like a general's bodyguard and 14 units. Gauls can buy a full 20 units if they want. So I don't see why people who complain about Rome aren't trying to play at lower money for a while.
    So, wait a minute, nobody has tried using the Roman's tactics against the Romans? I'm not an expert, but surely wearing them down with your light infantry then hitting them with something like falxmen should chew through their lines nicely?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
    So, wait a minute, nobody has tried using the Roman's tactics against the Romans? I'm not an expert, but surely wearing them down with your light infantry then hitting them with something like falxmen should chew through their lines nicely?
    Or a "H&A" army, a nice Hellenistic one.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
    That kinda works if you can get them to attack. I'd attack if they weren't AP and in guard mode but most people don't take light infantry when they can spam something that is missile and cav proof. Its really a pointless exercise to get the Romans to attack if the Romans don't want to though :-\
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 07-10-2010 at 02:40.

That kinda works if you can get them to attack. I'd attack if they weren't AP and in guard mode but most people don't take light infantry when they can spam something that is missile and cav proof. Its really a pointless exercise to get the Romans to attack if the Romans don't want to though :-\
    Just like chess. Draws. The reason we don't reward draws in EB Online tournaments is because we punish losses. The reason we punish losses is because our tournaments aren't round-robin (they cannot be, simply because not everyone can play everyone else; this is because of the number of players as well as the differences in time zones and availability).
    Former Projects:

I dont understand what all the non-Romans are complaining about... Rome's only advantage is its infantry cohorts... their cavalry is subpar as well as their archery... granted, guard mode does give a fair advantage in melee, but is such an ability unavailable to non Romans?! I don't want to hear about cohorts being more expensive... all throughout history prices are dictated by supply and demand, and to me, Rome had by far the greatest sources of supply for military equipment IN THE ANCIENT AND MEDIEVAL WORLD UP UNTIL YOU AND I CAME OUT OF THE EGG LIKE BARNEY PEEPS!

I dont know how many times i've created gaps in a pike phalanx line, only to send my highly disciplined cohorts to engage loose-formationed archers IN GUARD MODE and have them take relatively equal kill ratios vs them (i.e. bosphoran archers). It's really amazing, because you literally see your cohorts lose 1 man for every archer... but after all, they are 'tired' and the archer is 'fresh' so maybe that has something to do with it... Furthermore, there is nothing more "cheap" in EB than watching cohorts duke it out vs pikemen in melee-mode as if pikemen had any quality with the sword in any history book ever written in history! So please, chill!

The fact is this is a videogame. In Street Fighter, everyone knew Ryu being able to pass-through a Hadouken with a Horyuken was bs... but that is why Ken could do it, Why Guile could to it with the sonic kick, why Blanka developed the vertical ballspin, why Zangief got the spinner, Dhalsim teleportation, etc... feel me people?... Its a virtual game!... as long as you can't do something I can't, then all should be fair.

Oh and besides, this July tourney is already skewed for you non-Romans... you practically get an OP'd, unhistorical roster, that allows factions such as Pontos to generate whole squadrons of steepe cavalry... or Successor states to be given Greek units as if all of Greece was ever a subject to Egypt or Seluecia... I mean the other day I saw Bactria use Dahae Riders as factionals... and Bactria as Steepe... I know we're supposed to have fun... but I thought EB was made for those who wanted to have "historical" fun, the fun that comes with thinking you are recreating a true, realistic thing, not some generic "fun" that is made up for mere entertainment (i.e. Vanilla!) Right peeps?!
    Last edited by SlickNicaG69; 07-11-2010 at 03:16.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

I have decided to take up the good advice of MisterFred at another thread where he advises that you should simply just ignore the players which play in a boring and defensive way, and I might add are hypocractical and braggarts in aftermath of such games, where they indirectly think of themselves as some great strategic figure but can't honestly play any game without making use of too strong factions, so from now on I am NEVER going to play online battles with CHAOTIC EVIL PLAYERS, where its description of such personility is as follow according to Dungeons and dragons alignment:

'A chaotic evil villain does whatever his greed, hatred, and lust for destruction drive him to do. He is hot-tempered, vicious, and unpredictable. Thankfully, his plans are haphazard, and any groups he joins or forms are poorly organized. Typically, chaotic evil people can only be made to work together by force, and their leader lasts only as long as he can thwart attempts to topple or assassinate him. The demented sorcerer pursuing mad schemes of vengeance and havoc is chaotic evil. Chaotic evil represents the destruction not only of beauty and life but of the order on which beauty and life depend'

JEBMMP Creator & AtB Maker Member jirisys's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SlickNicaG69 View Post
    I dont understand what all the non-Romans are complaining about... Rome's only advantage is its infantry cohorts... their cavalry is subpar as well as their archery... granted, guard mode does give a fair advantage in melee, but is such an ability unavailable to non Romans?! I don't want to hear about cohorts being more expensive... all throughout history prices are dictated by supply and demand, and to me, Rome had by far the greatest sources of supply for military equipment IN THE ANCIENT AND MEDIEVAL WORLD UP UNTIL YOU AND I CAME OUT OF THE EGG LIKE BARNEY PEEPS!

I dont know how many times i've created gaps in a pike phalanx line, only to send my highly disciplined cohorts to engage loose-formationed archers IN GUARD MODE and have them take relatively equal kill ratios vs them (i.e. bosphoran archers). It's really amazing, because you literally see your cohorts lose 1 man for every archer... but after all, they are 'tired' and the archer is 'fresh' so maybe that has something to do with it... Furthermore, there is nothing more "cheap" in EB than watching cohorts duke it out vs pikemen in melee-mode as if pikemen had any quality with the sword in any history book ever written in history! So please, chill!

The fact is this is a videogame. In Street Fighter, everyone knew Ryu being able to pass-through a Hadouken with a Horyuken was bs... but that is why Ken could do it, Why Guile could to it with the sonic kick, why Blanka developed the vertical ballspin, why Zangief got the spinner, Dhalsim teleportation, etc... feel me people?... Its a virtual game!... as long as you can't do something I can't, then all should be fair.

Oh and besides, this July tourney is already skewed for you non-Romans... you practically get an OP'd, unhistorical roster, that allows factions such as Pontos to generate whole squadrons of steepe cavalry... or Successor states to be given Greek units as if all of Greece was ever a subject to Egypt or Seluecia... I mean the other day I saw Bactria use Dahae Riders... and Bactria as Steepe... I know we're supposed to have fun... but I thought EB was made for those who wanted to have "historical" fun, the fun that comes with thinking you are recreating a true, realistic thing, not some generic "fun" that is made up for mere entertainment (i.e. Vanilla!) Right peeps?!
    What the

Are you kidding me?

USE PRE-MARIANS!

Besides, try to recruit a legion in samartia, see how well you succeed

It's not about what you would do in campaign, it's what army do you bring, to counter the best army they can bring according to regulation, may i ask you... Can't you recruit a mercenary (non-Equites Gallorum/Hispanorum) cavalry, yes, but you don't.

Also, the seleucids also did have more manpower than puny camillan rome... Does that mean that you are going to face an unit of triarii with 500000 Seleucid Agryaspides? This game MUST be fair, real life doesn't, and well, discussing about other games (EVEN similar to nothing at all with this one) and their "Unbelievable abilities" is a complete, and utter Non-argument

Well, as far as i know, no army is more OP than the phalanx ones, and Post-Marians ones.

YOU CAN'T ROLEPLAY ON MP!

~Jirisys (You really swell up my )
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Because we all need to compensate...

Quote Originally Posted by jirisys View Post
    What the

Are you kidding me?

USE PRE-MARIANS!

Besides, try to recruit a legion in samartia, see how well you succeed

It's not about what you would do in campaign, it's what army do you bring, to counter the best army they can bring according to regulation, may i ask you... Can't you recruit a mercenary (non-Equites Gallorum/Hispanorum) cavalry, yes, but you don't.

Also, the seleucids also did have more manpower than puny camillan rome... Does that mean that you are going to face an unit of triarii with 500000 Seleucid Agryaspides? This game MUST be fair, real life doesn't, and well, discussing about other games (EVEN similar to nothing at all with this one) and their "Unbelievable abilities" is a complete, and utter Non-argument

Well, as far as i know, no army is more OP than the phalanx ones, and Post-Marians ones.

YOU CAN'T ROLEPLAY ON MP!

~Jirisys (You really swell up my )

This guy just knows how to kill a thread.

You should've worked for Bush man when he was going out of office. You might've made him win again the way you brush aside facts like Cato would've convenient luxuries!

We're not here to discuss what you think should be fair bro... ask anybody who plays EB... they play this because it seeks to be more realistic than your self-centered, every-faction-should-be-equally-powerful, utopian approach...

Play Vanilla man! You can use big rottweilers, flaming pigs, heck even Roman Horse Archers for when you in the mood for cheeese.

But really, defense mode... it's simple... don't stack.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

Oh and besides, this July tourney is already skewed for you non-Romans... you practically get an OP'd, unhistorical roster, that allows factions such as Pontos to generate whole squadrons of steepe cavalry... or Successor states to be given Greek units as if all of Greece was ever a subject to Egypt or Seluecia... I mean the other day I saw Bactria use Dahae Riders... and Bactria as Steepe... I know we're supposed to have fun... but I thought EB was made for those who wanted to have "historical" fun, the fun that comes with thinking you are recreating a true, realistic thing, not some generic "fun" that is made up for mere entertainment (i.e. Vanilla!) Right peeps?!
    Not to mention all eastern factions fielding one unit of Tindanotae (gaesatae) mercs, almost all east mediterranean factions spamming Cretan archer mercs, and Ptolemaioi having neitos that are superior in quality to the Gauls lol.

Slick , Roman --their cavalry is subpar as well as their archery..
    A ..maybe i'm mistaken but
    Archers =Balearics , Kretikoi ,Syrian & saggitarius , the best archers in the whole game? (except Bosphoran ) + dirt cheap solutions for fillers
    Cavalry =Access to Brihentin , Leuce epos ,Equites extra & cheap elephants , Ala imperatoria - great tactical flexibility .
    Infantry = Best damn inf in the world (Cheaper , more numeric , better armed , better trained) i mean kmon , this ain't Christmas. I do however have to admit that they should have the 0.26 lethality if i am to listen to roman player's historic arguments.+ catas if possible. :))
    Mercs = Pezhetairoi , eleph's ,half of the gaulish roster, most numidian , lots of Greeks etc...
    Also , 3-4 different periods to choose from , great all-rounders & special moves + unique units , great AOR ( I mean they have Reidonez & Maure , Kretikoi & iberian , KMON!!!! )
    Last edited by Burebista; 07-11-2010 at 01:04.

I mean the other day I saw Bactria use Dahae Riders... and Bactria as Steepe...
    That's me he's talking about , trying to field an effective army to beat romans with. Although it does seem strange that i , as baktria , can't get any HA mercs or factionals except Daha (very expensive for HA) although i am in the HA heaven next to Pahlava & Saka. Not to mention be surprised by such a thing being perceived as ahistorical and wrong. Dahae FYI are recruitable in Baktria province , but i guess that doesnt compare with the historic accuracy of elephants use for Rome

It doesn't Burebista.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

I do agree that Baktria needs more regional mercs. They lack any sort of heavy archer and HA which is why I stopped playing them.

I do agree that Baktria needs more regional mercs. They lack any sort of heavy archer and HA which is why I stopped playing them.
    That's simply a matter of finding those regionals and placing them in the roster for Bak.

P.S. Wish it were as easy to kick some ppl out of threads as it is to kick them off Hamachi.
    Former Projects:

Phalanx shield values are way too high in both multiplayer and single player. Roman Praetorians only cost 2k for some reason in the multiplayer edu. ...
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Intranetusa View Post
    Phalanx shield values are way too high in both multiplayer and single player. Roman Praetorians only cost 2k for some reason in the multiplayer edu. ...
    Yeah. We know. And you have a thread on stat changes. We know. If that experiment proves successful, maybe we can adopt it. Maybe.
    Former Projects:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Intranetusa View Post
    their extra 1000 ish cost in SP was to prevent them for murdering the "would be emperor"

However, historically, praetorians were always payed more.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

However, historically, praetorians were always payed more.
    Paid*
    Former Projects:

both are correct.

I don't disagree that Dahae riders should be available as mercs to Baktria, just not as factionals.

Just as, for instance, Illyrian Coastal Levies are recruitable in Patavium Homeland Province, but is actually a merc unit for Rome, Liguria, etc.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12