Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shrinking Detroit

Default Re: Shrinking Detroit

Little bits of America have already went down the drain. Indeed, you wonder what parts of the country are next.

I'll be on the sidelines with my popcorn, yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Indeed, you wonder who left them in such disrepair in the first place.
    It began with Coleman Young.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    It began with Coleman Young.
    How? I am sure elected officials are joyriders in the USA, but they are all hamstrung in comparison to European counterparts and America is the land of capitalism. So any businesses which end up going down the drain are their own fault (etc).
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Pfft you ritzy Oakland County people... make me sick :D.
    Man, I just checked, and Oakland county dropped from 4th back in the day to outside of the top 25 now...

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...7316044502.txt

The auto industry implosion and recession has knocked Oakland County from the list of America’s wealthiest counties.

Oakland County — once considered the fourth wealthiest county in the country — is not even among the 25 richest counties in the nation anymore, according to a Forbes.com survey.

Oakland has ranked itself as the 10th richest county based on per capita income, a different variable from that used by Forbes.com.

Census Bureau data shows the recession has reduced the median household income to $61,907 last year compared with $103,035 in 2000.

Pfft you ritzy Oakland County people... make me sick :D.
    I happen to be one of those people as well and no, Horetore's original idea isn't of much value. I understand his motives, however his idea is totally detached from reality simply because he has no clue what he's talking about. No homeless man in his right mind would wanna end up in a former crackhouse in Detroit. They have a beter chance of surviving outdoors on a winter night in Minneapolis than in that rat infested no man's land. I have high hopes for Detroit's new mayor though, he seems to be a no-nonsense business oriented guy. We'll see, he definitely has his work cut out for him and it'll take decades to bring Detroit out of the abyss it's in right now.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    How? I am sure elected officials are joyriders in the USA, but they are all hamstrung in comparison to European counterparts and America is the land of capitalism. So any businesses which end up going down the drain are their own fault (etc).
    What? Guys come on. You REALLY need to do some background research here if you want to carry on a discussion. Young was mayor for 20 years and caused what is known as white flight by being openly racist and telling white people to get out of his city. Corruption thrived, and no one in their right mind wanted anything to do with Detroit. Hence, it's suberbs grew properous and the city declined into a craphole. This isn't the fault of capitalism, but god awful leadership and a racist mentality. If you wanted to challenge anything in Detroit, you were racist. Dennis Archer (two mayors ago) did his best to try to fix Detroit, but he got fed up and left. Kwame Kilpatrick, who now serving 7-12 years in prison while facing fresh bribery and tax evasion charges, took any gain Archer accomplished, and reversed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reenk Roink View Post
    Man, I just checked, and Oakland county dropped from 4th back in the day to outside of the top 25 now...

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...7316044502.txt
    That's a result of the auto companies going down. There are no more union employees making 100k a year with lifetime medical benefits and pensions. The businesses they supported are also suffering or non existant. Coupled with Detroit and the collapse of the auto companies, Michigan has fallen quite a bit from her former glory.

According to the new census data, Michigan is going to lose a house seat in Congress because so many have left the state when the jobs went away. In fact, Michigan is the only state to have a net loss in population since 2000.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    According to the new census data, Michigan is going to lose a house seat in Congress because so many have left the state when the jobs went away. In fact, Michigan is the only state to have a net loss in population since 2000.
    I can't imagine why....
    RIP Tosa

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    I can't imagine why....
    I just told you, it's because the jobs went away.

I just told you, it's because the jobs went away.
    Why did the jobs go away?
    RIP Tosa

Why did the jobs go away?
    You want the answer you are looking for, or the realistic answer?

You want the answer you are looking for, or the realistic answer?
    A realistic one would work for me...
    RIP Tosa

A realistic one would work for me...
    Companies left to take advantage of lower labor costs in other countries which was made worse by too little give from the unions and unchecked by the crappy state and local government who didn't provide additional incentives for them to stay.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Companies left to take advantage of lower labor costs in other countries which was made worse by too little give from the unions and unchecked by the crappy state and local government who didn't provide additional incentives for them to stay.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Thanks
    RIP Tosa

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    Good reply. I realize how moronic my post was and indeed it must have been the blacks fault as others have claimed.

Thanks
    Np.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Wait so black leadership kills cities?

SOMEONE TELL ATLANTA

O wait
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I hear good things about the Delta City project, maybe OCP can turn Detroit's fortunes around.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Good reply. I realize how moronic my post was and indeed it must have been the blacks fault as others have claimed.

Np.
    I just love it when Dave plays with his food. It makes me horny.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    I just love it when Dave plays with his food. It makes me horny.
    I heard you can both enlist in the American Army together now.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Good reply. I realize how moronic my post was and indeed it must have been the (racist) blacks fault as others have claimed.
    I fixed it for you.

I fixed it for you.
    And these racist blacks managed to ruin an entire city all by themselves? It couldn't have been outsourcing at all? It couldn't have been corrupt unions? It couldn't have been the fact that everyone ****** up in someway, nooooooooooooooooooo it was the white hating blacks? Give me a break guys.

And these racist blacks managed to ruin an entire city all by themselves? It couldn't have been outsourcing at all? It couldn't have been corrupt unions? It couldn't have been the fact that everyone ****** up in someway, nooooooooooooooooooo it was the white hating blacks? Give me a break guys.
    You aren't getting a break here. Can you explain exactly how outsourcing and corrupt unions effected the city? I'm not talking about the state of Michigan or the auto companies, I'm talking about the city of Detroit. Please, enlighten us.

You aren't getting a break here. Can you explain exactly how outsourcing and corrupt unions effected the city? I'm not talking about the state of Michigan or the auto companies, I'm talking about the city of Detroit. Please, enlighten us.
    "Give me a break" is just a term, not an actual request. I thought that was common knowledge.

And lol, your question inherently makes no sense. The downward economic spiral preceded the downfall of Detroit and Michigan as a whole. The point it fell is because the economic strength of the region was weakened by outsourcing partly due to stubborn unions. This made less jobs available in the region, which created higher unemployment, which slowed the overall economy of the state. The fact that some black politicians made racist statements and policies to whites is only a small part of the problem. The whites simply fled like in other places around the country, to suburbs and segregated themselves from the blacks, but they still went about and did their jobs, got paid and bought stuff. While it has it's bias, watch "Roger & Me" in which he goes over how (in his opinion) GM is responsible for the downfall of Flint. The economic devestation of one region hurts the economic stability of the regions surrounding it because of the inter connectivity of the modern economy.

This the problem with what you are telling me. You are saying, "I am talking about Detroit, here. Detroit's blacks pushed the wealthy whites out and the city died. Tell me how that is wrong." That statement alone isn't wrong, but let's look at the bigger picture. Where are all the wealthy whites in the LA region? They all fled to either Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Holmby Hills and the region around them or they moved out into the massive suburbs that stretch into it's neighboring counties. And even though LA has it's budget problems, it's no Detroit, so what is going on? The fact is that the surrounding suburbs where all the white people are at still drive the economic machine of LA. Unless all the whites were leaving Michigan completely, I don't see how racist blacks completely managed to destroy an entire megacity all by themselves.

EDIT: There is a reason why Michigan was the only state to have shown a population loss in the new census, and it's not because of racist blacks! Racist blacks don't just live in Detroit I can tell you that! It's because of the bad economy and no job prospects.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 01-01-2011 at 04:09.

"Give me a break" is just a term, not an actual request. I thought that was common knowledge.
    I'm aware of the meaning :).

And lol, your question inherently makes no sense. The downward economic spiral preceded the downfall of Detroit and Michigan as a whole.
    No it didn't. Through most of the 90s and early 2000s the state of Michigan was doing very well. The same cannot be said about the city of Detroit.

The point it fell is because the economic strength of the region was weakened by outsourcing partly due to stubborn unions. This made less jobs available in the region, which created higher unemployment, which slowed the overall economy of the state.
    No.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__V1GJlBady...Rate+Chart.jpg

The fact that some black politicians made racist statements and policies to whites is only a small part of the problem. The whites simply fled like in other places around the country, to suburbs and segregated themselves from the blacks, but they still went about and did their jobs, got paid and bought stuff.
    I don't understand. You admit to what I was basically saying and say it's only a small part of the problem? Detroit had a population of around 2 million at it's peak. That population shrunk as business and people fled not to the rest of the country, but to the suburbs of Michigan. This doesn't sound very small to me.

While it has it's bias, watch "Roger & Me" in which he goes over how (in his opinion) GM is responsible for the downfall of Flint. The economic devestation of one region hurts the economic stability of the regions surrounding it because of the inter connectivity of the modern economy.
    I've seen the movie. That sounds like a good talking point. Do you have any evidence that when GM moved out of Flint Detroit was negatively effected as a direct result?

This the problem with what you are telling me. You are saying, "I am talking about Detroit, here. Detroit's blacks pushed the wealthy whites out and the city died. Tell me how that is wrong." That statement alone isn't wrong,
    Glad we are in agreement.

but let's look at the bigger picture. Where are all the wealthy whites in the LA region? They all fled to either Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Holmby Hills and the region around them or they moved out into the massive suburbs that stretch into it's neighboring counties. And even though LA has it's budget problems, it's no Detroit, so what is going on? The fact is that the surrounding suburbs where all the white people are at still drive the economic machine of LA. Unless all the whites were leaving Michigan completely, I don't see how racist blacks completely managed to destroy an entire megacity all by themselves.
    I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to say here. What's so hard to understand about a wealth and business flight? The suburbs boomed while the city fell apart.

EDIT: There is a reason why Michigan was the only state to have shown a population loss in the new census, and it's not because of racist blacks! Racist blacks don't just live in Detroit I can tell you that! It's because of the bad economy and no job prospects.
    It's because of the current auto mess. I'm not denying is why the state of Michigan lost population... but this isn't what the discussion is about. This population loss was not from the city, but from suburbs. The decline of Detroit happened long before 2000.

Like I've said before, you seem to confusing to what is happening to the state of Michigan, to what is happening to Detroit. Not much goes on in the downtown anymore... not much has gone on there for decades.

Lol. You people brought it on yourselves. It makes me giddy to witness all of you reaping exactly what you have sown.

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    Lol. You people brought it on yourselves. It makes me giddy to witness all of you reaping exactly what you have sown.
    ...?

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

It's just normalizing after a ridiculously gigantic industrial boom.

This is happening, and has happened, throughout history as economic models change. Stop trying to make it a racial or political issue, it is simply reality setting in after the party.

Laissez les bons temps rouler.

My kingdom for a .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12