Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The US State of the Union message for 2011: Thoughts and Commentary

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default The US State of the Union message for 2011: Thoughts and Commentary

Here is a link to the full text. HERE

Opening thought:

While lacking some of the compelling rhetorical style of Reagan, I thought the speech one of the easiest to listen to and draw a good theme from in quite a while. I also thought President Obama charted a useful course of action for legislation and government improvement. It will be interesting to see how much depth lies behind these ideas.

Thoughts from others?
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 01-26-2011 at 12:39.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Default Re: The US State of the Union message for 2011: Thoughts and Commentary

Very Good speech. I also really liked Ryan's response. I hated the last state of the union and the response
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    Very Good speech. I also really liked Ryan's response. I hated the last state of the union and the response
    Who could not like Bobby Jindal?

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

The Tea Party response from Michelle "The founding fathers abolished slavery" Bachman was epic. She compared tea party founders to the marines of Iwo Jima.

This may be the very first SOTU I have ever watched in its entirity, but to be honest it was merely because I was bored and there was a tv in the room. It really means a whole lot of nothing, but I certainly got a kick that he mentioned dependance on foreign oil like every president in every SOTU since Ike. Gotta keep the tradition going afterall.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Investing in clean energy, education, and infrastructure.... where did I hear that before.... Oh, now I remember.

Edit: This was pretty good too.
    Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said the president "has enough power already" and that Obama's reported embrace Tuesday night of an earmark ban promoted by Republicans is just a "lot of pretty talk."
    Last edited by Xiahou; 01-26-2011 at 07:50.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Gutless
    Dog and Pony show
    The final death kneel to the American middle class
    A carte blanche to coropartism
    Gutless
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

yawn catering to across the aisle. hes trying to get a little heat off of himself. if he means the message? awesome for some of it, but probably not.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    yawn catering to across the aisle. hes trying to get a little heat off of himself. if he means the message? awesome for some of it, but probably not.
    Are you kidding he spent half the time sucking of the republicans. Then when he mentions that experation of the Bush tax cuts and DADT he looks like a scared little boy. He needs to sack up and stand on principle for once
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

It was lackluster in delivery and full of nonsensical talking points.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Are you kidding he spent half the time sucking of the republicans. Then when he mentions that experation of the Bush tax cuts and DADT he looks like a scared little boy. He needs to sack up and stand on principle for once
    im a conservative i like when he doesnt stand for his principles......

or maybe he realizes the flaws in his principles.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

* something pro-Obama here *

Sorry. I just can't be bothered to watch that entire speech. You rightwing Giffords-murderers shall just have to pretend there's some insightful probama comment above, okay?

Come on, you know you can. We Obama supporters too know how to pretend that somewhere there's some actual content.
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 01-27-2011 at 02:52.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

I guess I am the only one who just enjoys listening to presidential speeches. I liked it.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Missed it. If anybody has a link for watching it on the internet tubes ... I might. Then again, I might not. These SOTU speeches rarely amount to much, no matter who is Prez.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Missed it. If anybody has a link for watching it on the internet tubes ... I might. Then again, I might not. These SOTU speeches rarely amount to much, no matter who is Prez.
    I say we go back to submitting them in writing to Congress. The SOTU is too much like a pep rally or sporting event to achieve anything meaningful as it stands.
    -Abraham Lincoln

I wouldn't mind listening or reading the entire speech. But that would still only be five percent of the workload. Then I shall have to read commentaries to discover how much of it is based on actual or proposed legislation, then I shall have to read up on their effects, and then try to make a critical assesment drawing from what else assorted information I can find about it.

Still, lest we not see the forest for the trees, what kind of SotU adress is preferable:

- We need teh guns to shoot the terrorists, I need a trillion dollars in government handouts for defense contracts for befriended firms.
    - And if you're not with us you're against us.

or

- We need to renew our efforts in innovention, need to invest in America, in our education, in our technology, and then we can do it again, startle the world yet again. We can, we really can.
    - We're in this together, so let's do it together.
    Not everything

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I missed it, but if he said anything other than, "We are royally ", he's a liar.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Big guvment is here to stay and all y'all will have to pay for it. So
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    I missed it, but if he said anything other than, "We are royally ", he's a liar.
    Well Obama being the most honest politician of any major country, this indeed was exactly what he said.

Daisied indeed. The past few years, America has seen too many Sputniks reach space first. Moments that made America realise that it was not winning. Realise it was not living up to its potential.

Fortunately, next to being refreshingly honest, Obama is also a winner. He wants to succeed, to prevail. He is going to put up a fight. Going to invest in education, in innovation. He's going to create incentives to make American enterprise competitive again.

On top of all that, Obama even managed to overcome partisanship yet again and reach out across the aisle.

Obama has forced me to eat my words. My predictions about him being were wrong. Instead Obama has turned into a fantastic president. A major statesman.
    Not everything

I think this kind of attitude is counter productive. A decline doesn't mean we are the Western Roman Empire here. It just means we have been doing things the wrong way for a while and we need to change it up and improve to ourselves. This is why I don't understand why people bash Obama for doing exactly this, if these changes he is making are really so terrible, their impacts will be evident and the public has shown itself more than willing to throw out a party when they feel dissatisfied.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Sarah Palin on Greta's show today was LOLZ. She said America doesn't need a sputnik moment because sputnik collapsed the USSR. I have a palm print on my forehead.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    I think this kind of attitude is counter productive. A decline doesn't mean we are the Western Roman Empire here. It just means we have been doing things the wrong way for a while and we need to change it up and improve to ourselves. This is why I don't understand why people bash Obama for doing exactly this, if these changes he is making are really so terrible, their impacts will be evident and the public has shown itself more than willing to throw out a party when they feel dissatisfied.
    As the so-called leader of the country, he can't very well get up there and spout doom and malaise. But this = , and I don't see anyone with the influence and political courage necessary to reverse it. No one is going to crank up taxes or cut the Worst Generation's handouts, it's political suicide.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

High speed rail and solar shingles? Just what we need, a bigger Amtrak. We can put the solar shingles on top of the train, build windmills along the track. Then we'd have the ultimate perpetual motion machine and our energy needs would be solved. Brilliant!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

and I don't see anyone with the influence and political courage necessary to reverse it. No one is going to crank up taxes or cut the Worst Generation's handouts, it's political suicide.
    Chris Christie?
    -Abraham Lincoln

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    The link, she is broken! May we have another?

As the so-called leader of the country, he can't very well get up there and spout doom and malaise. But this = , and I don't see anyone with the influence and political courage necessary to reverse it. No one is going to crank up taxes or cut the Worst Generation's handouts, it's political suicide.
    We are hemorrhaging money because people are not willing to make the necessary sacrifices, not because of any inherent flaw in the system that is causing our downfall. Our deficit for 2011 is looking at 1.5 trillion, but guess what it would have only been 800 billion if people actually followed through in supporting Obama and the Democrats in revoking the Bush Tax Cuts for the top 1%. This idea that we are downhill is not inevitable. The situation will only guess worse and worse up to the point where people's standard of living is completely challenged. Then things will start to get fixed. But as I said before, your attitude seems to be that we will find ourselves on the same level as 1992 USSR, which isn't really the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    Sarah Palin on Greta's show today was LOLZ. She said America doesn't need a sputnik moment because sputnik collapsed the USSR. I have a palm print on my forehead.
    LOL. I need to see this, hahaha...

Marc Faber checks in. Guess we put him in the nay column.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    The link, she is broken! May we have another?
    Argh! Here's the same video from a different source.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    We are hemorrhaging money because people are not willing to make the necessary sacrifices, not because of any inherent flaw in the system that is causing our downfall. Our deficit for 2011 is looking at 1.5 trillion, but guess what it would have only been 800 billion if people actually followed through in supporting Obama and the Democrats in revoking the Bush Tax Cuts for the top 1%. This idea that we are downhill is not inevitable. The situation will only guess worse and worse up to the point where people's standard of living is completely challenged. Then things will start to get fixed. But as I said before, your attitude seems to be that we will find ourselves on the same level as 1992 USSR, which isn't really the case.
    When you say "people", you really mean "members of Congress". Hence my comment on political courage. Nobody (at least in a leadership position) is willing to stand up and say "we need to raise taxes, my political career be damned". Not since 41 anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast