Thread: Hello in phoenician

Default Hello in phoenician

Hello all,

I was writing a letter and just for kicks i would like to start off in a somewhat obscure language and since Carthage is my favorite faction on here I choose it. I did an google search and found nothing so I thought I'd ask you guys as you are some of the most knowledgeable people I know on the ancients and ancient languages. So, how would one say Hello or equivalent greeting in Phoenician.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Re: Hello in phoenician

Good question. the answer: I don't know, there are people who did research into this.

but maybe this might work:

well, Hebrew is IIRC Shalom.

if the long a in semetic becomes an o in Hebrew (compare to Arabic: salaam), and u in Punic (rusaddir), then Shalum?

as I said, I do not know. just guessing
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

just stick with a nice Salve

my first guess was shorah, but no, that's D'ni.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

In both Arabic and Hebrew we see that the greeting encompasses a notion of peace. Let's see what one source has to say similarly about Phoenician-Punic. I am providing that which I see most relevant to your post.

Š-L-M I
    [Heb. s̆-l-m]
    v. pi’’el 1. GREET SOMEONE (+ 'lt)
    CIS I 5510.6/7 (Pu) qr’ lmlqrt ysp ‘lty l s̆lm wlyrhy bmqm [z], “As for him who calls to Milqart, they shall continue to greet him and make him welcome in this city.” Cf. Arabic sallama 'alā.

ŠLM II
    [Heb. s̆alōm]
    n.m. 1. PEACE, specifically PEACEFUL RELATIONS
    KAI 26 a I 11/12 (Ph) ws̆t ‘nk s̆lm ‘t kl mlk, “And I made peace with every king.”

ŠLM III
    3. PROSPERITY, WELL-BEING
    KAI 26 A III 1/4 (Ph) wbrk b’l krntrys̆ ‘yt ‘ztwd hym ws̆lm w’z ‘dr ‘l kl mlk, “May Baal-KRNTRYŠ bless Aztwadda with long life an [sic] well-being and might greater than that of any king.” – CIS I 5511.4 (Pu) dr s̆lm wmnh[t], “A time of prosperity and peace.”

Source: Krahmalkov, Charles R. Phoenician-Punic Dictionary. Leuven: Uitgeverij Peeters, 2000. 462-64.
    Last edited by vartan; 03-30-2011 at 19:16.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)