Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: [EB] EDU Balance Proposals

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Default Re: [EB] EDU Balance Proposals

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    Yeah, the Falxes were grotesquely powerful in vanilla and I think they should be better than they are now. The celtic long swords were used as heavy/slashing/bashing type things while falxes are basically polearms.
    Have you seen a falx? It's a lot more like a two-handed sword with a forward curving blade, and a handle as long as the blade.

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/falxcut2.jpg

Example of a falx brutalizing a shield. The shield is, however, stationary and hence poses a similar problem to the arrow-vs-chainmail target test; real shields and armor give.

http://www.copii-arme-medievale.ro/i...lx%20dacic.JPG

Replica falxes.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

I think he's not speaking about spear-polearms, he's speaking about halberd-polearms. The general definition of polearm is something like "long shaft with similar or smaller blade than the shaft". All in all the angular momentum is increased for a falx, a two-handed longsword is more balanced than a falx. And a falx is piercing whereas a sword usally is slashing, a falx concentrates it's power on a smaller field. I hope my english is good enough, so you can understand me here...
    Last edited by Kival; 08-12-2011 at 22:29.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Halberd: 6+ feet long
    Falx: 4- feet long

And a falx is more of a slashing weapon, how else would it be known for lopping arms off?
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

"To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post

And a falx is more of a slashing weapon, how else would it be known for lopping arms off?
    So give it a ridiculous attack value, such as 18.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Nobody says it's the same as a halberd. The wikipedia article states that the two-handed version was actually 3+3 feet long but I'm surely no expert here.

It's both. Actually I'm not sure if evidence for any other "AP"-weapon is better than for the falx. However, I'd just to increase the strength of at least the two-handed falx in some way.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Currently it is a cheaper longsword with .325 lethality, for 3.0

Currently it is a cheaper longsword with .325 lethality, for 3.0
    Sounds interesting. How do you calculate attack value by the way? Is there any difference between weapons or is it only skill... or ;-)

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I was referring to something like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagamaki

Multi-purpose medium length cutting/stabbing thing. The only difference is the shape of the falx lends to 'lopping' instead of smooth 'slicing' because it catches. I still think it should be an AP weapon because you can use it to stab and a downward motion. It also looks like it would be quite penetrating unlike a sword since in a swing, you'd connect tip first unless you were very close instead of blade first. It would just depend if you used it like momentum + tip first or you instead use short strokes for stabbing over shields/catch parts of people to unbalance them and then stab/slash at their vital spots. Depends on fighting styles actually used but it would seem to me that its a versatile weapon that could be used for stabbing from a swing, lopping from a swing if you are closer, or short stabbing/grabbing strokes.

Additionally you could probably catch people off horses.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 08-13-2011 at 14:21.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Versatile, sure.But I feel that it still fails to cut trough armor, is a poor pi an OK piercing weapon, but is best at chopping due to the forward curving blade, It lacks a sweet spot for chopping, meaning it can't deliver force in a manner like a kopis or an axe. Rather it strikes at weak spots, around shields, on bare skin; meaning the limbs, which it would lop off frighteningly, and thus the Romans adopted greaves and manica for the Dacian conflict.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Well looking at your docs, it seems like you're only giving AP to really heavy weapons so as long as it is consistent.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789