Thread: EB Multiplayer won't launch

Default EB Multiplayer won't launch

Last night I decided to play EB online (what a concept!), so I install Hamachi and get in the EB server thinking I am going to play EB online. But then, I found out that I needed the latest MP EDU hotfix. So I download the D build EDU and paste it into my C:\Program Files (x86)\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\EB\mp game edu backup folder. It included an EDU file and descr_projectile_new.txt which I assumed went into the same folder even though there was no original file of that name existent in that folder. So I put these files I downloaded off the internet into my EB\mp game edu backup folder and then run the MP executable which results in getting to the EB page but then it crashes. EB MP shortcut on my desktop works, I use it when playing custom battles and I am running RTW:BI v1.5. I have only modded the single player EDU and cannot understand how the new hotfix will not launch?

Thanks to a user named Capo through Hamachi for talking me through this or else I might have given up much sooner. I guess its rare to also find a live person on Hamachi sometimes too.

So then I download the 3.0 EDU and give that a go and still it crashes. I then reverted back to original and it worked like a charm. I know both SP and MP unmodded EDU's work but the minute I want to play online and paste the new EDU I am shut down.

I reboot and repeat the process and the results are the same.

So now I am at the point of complete reinstall. I know I should've made a copy of RTW:BI and then installed EB into that, but at the time I didn't know I should've done that and have hence not rectified this.

But before I resort to this does anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
    From a person who just wants to battle another online.
    Swords don't kill people, people with swords kill people.

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Default Re: EB Multiplayer won't launch

Ok so first you must download the 3.0 EDU which gives you export_descr unit along with 3 other files. The export_descr goes in the mp edu backup folder, the other 3 go in your EB/data folder. Then, after you have done this, download the EDU hotfix. This contains two files. The export_descr again goes in the mp edu backup and replaces the other one while the other file goes in the data folder. Hopefully this helps.
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

thanks, i had to find the correct 3.0 first, then add 1001d and the installers made it easy.
    Swords don't kill people, people with swords kill people.

Quote Originally Posted by Frtigern View Post
    thanks, i had to find the correct 3.0 first, then add 1001d and the installers made it easy.
    I'm glad to hear it. Sorry if I hadn't made it clear on the site. Basically, there are two lines of MP EDU. The main line (call it "official" if it makes it easier) is located on the EB Online site. It's the version released on 1 October 2011. Players took this latest version and have been hotfixing certain mistakes and other things. Since the hotfixes are based off official edu1001 files, you'll need to (as Brave said) install the main before updating with the hotfix (hence the name "hotfix"). Glad to hear you've got it working.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)