Thread: A couple of question for EB multiplayer

Default A couple of question for EB multiplayer

Hello, I'm a new EBO player and I got a couple of questions about the factions:

1.Which is a good barbarian faction that is easy to use for beginners?
    2.Which is the best faction that can be used to counter Rome?
    3.Which is the best tactic (if any) to counter phalanxes when using barbarians, aside from flanking them?
    4.Is there a worst faction?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by TwoKnives; 02-13-2012 at 18:14. Reason: grammatical corrections

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Default Re: A couple of question for EB multiplayer

1. I would rate them like this, from easiest to trickiest: 1) Aedui, 2) Arverni, 3) Lusotannan, 4) Getai, 5) Casse, 6) Sweboz

2. There is no perfect counter to them. You can of course go cheap and exploit the ridiculousness that is the scare cata; in general, you'll want one with cavalry good enough to beat whatever cav the Romans bring and then smack their infantry in the back. Getai are quite good thanks to having that plus a good amount of high quality AP units.

3. Drowning them with your blood? :p

I suppose you can also try and force the other guy to move his phalanxes, and try to exploit openings and cracks that appears. It's easier to just flank though.

4. Yes: Saba.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 02-13-2012 at 18:02.

For #3, easier said than done, of course. But exploit the fact that long pike phalanxes must commit to the fight frontally. If you can isolate them or begin chipping away from the rear of a flank phalanx (the most vulnerable ones), then you can possibly be off to a good start. This is why you'll see players using shielded or armored units to pin. This is also why you won't see a non-phalanx faction player committing his whole front line.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Welcome to EB Online! :P

We had a fine battle today, it was fun

About the phalanx thing, I have seen that some javelin-skirmish from behind or sides of the phalanx can be very effective, also, some naked units y/o chariots aren't a bad investment just for morale effects

See ya in the battlegrounds!