Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 3.4 EDU - SUGGESTIONS

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Default Re: 3.4 EDU - SUGGESTIONS

Well so many of their units could be designated mercenary. Caturiges, Bagaudas, Kludacorii, Noricenes, Mori Gaesum, and Solduros could all be said to be outside the tribal confederacies of either the Aedui or the Arverni at the time of our game. But the same could be done for the Sweboz and Chatti, Churusci, Gaut, and Chauci units could be made mercenary as well. So too for the Getai and some of the more purely Thracian units.
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Brave Sir Robin View Post
    Well so many of their units could be designated mercenary. Caturiges, Bagaudas, Kludacorii, Noricenes, Mori Gaesum, and Solduros could all be said to be outside the tribal confederacies of either the Aedui or the Arverni at the time of our game.
    Yes and no: Caturiges, Kluddacorii and Solduros; while selected from specific tribes, they represent generic concepts, their equipment and fighting style was widespread (less developed alpine highlanders, well-off lower middle class flourishing through trade and noble retinue).
    The Mori Gaesum, few who survived settled to live among the Aedui and previously had contacts with the Arverni.
    Noricene Gaecori and Bagaudas have specific equipment typical of their own tribes and afaik never joined either confederacy, that's why I put them as mercenaries. We could still put them down as factional I guess, whichever is preferable for everyone :)

I simply tried to work out rosters at the largest political influence in their history...

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Brave Sir Robin View Post
    So too for the Getai and some of the more purely Thracian units.
    I'm not sure for the various germanic tribes and the Swebozez, but the Getai under Burebista had many tribes under his power; not to mention how the Thraikioi held much more land than Thrace alone since the Bronze Age, some of them were living in the Kimmerios Bosporos!

Quote Originally Posted by Kival View Post
    I like it though it works mostly against Aedui :p.
    Well they get all the Belgae as factional, while the Arverni counter that with hellenic influenced and alpine units...
    Last edited by Arjos; 05-28-2012 at 12:43.

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Lets not forget, either, that Aedui > Arverni as it is, so a change that works more in Arverni's favour is positive for balance. I'm not so sure that this would do that anyway; as Arjos points out, while they would gain more, they would also lose more. Looking at cavalry, I would take Taromonnos and Remi Mairepos over Marxolitho Wolxiskod every day. Gaisolitho Aljod aren't a big loss, they're rarely if ever used anyway. On the other hand, you get the Boii Cingetos, which is very good.

The Arverni do get more units, it's true, but they also lose more. As I said they lose out in cavalry, and the clona gosnasio aren't a big gain (especially not if Gaeroas are made into skirmishers). The Tekastos, K-H Hoplitai and Appea Gaedotos are fine gains, but you lose Batacorii and Milnaht.

If we say that Gaisolitho Aljod cancel out Batacorii and K-H Hoplitai Milnaht, then it's basically Tekastos + Appea Gaedotos vs Milnaht Boii Cingetos + Remi Mairepos. Have I missed something, or does that actually seem to benefit Aedui more? Edit: I counted Milnaht twice. Such is the power of the Belgae!

(On a smaller note I would point out that Cidainh are not factional for either of the Gallic factions as is, so either make them mercenary or highlight them as a change. :p)
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 05-28-2012 at 13:57.

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Viking View Post
    (On a smaller note I would point out that Cidainh are not factional for either of the Gallic factions as is, so either make them mercenary or highlight them as a change. :p)
    Thx for the heads up ^^
    BTW last night gg2 said that the Cingetos are getting a leathality buff, so again I don't see any faction getting the short end of the stick, but rather balance and mutual distinction :)
    Last edited by Arjos; 05-28-2012 at 13:29.

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

I'd argue that Bagaudas represent a common soldier-type in Gallic armies reaching towards the Roman conquest. Many of the soldiers who could afford longswords were killed off in small-scale and large-scale tribal warfare or against the Romans leaving some of the defense to younger men of lower class backgrounds who couldn't afford any armor or much more than a simple shortsword and a few javelins. I know their description and AOR points to them being solely from the Veneti, but its not a stretch to see similar soldiers in Gallic armies. Also, we just made shortswordsmen useful, to make them mercenaries again would somewhat defeat that.
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

It is true that in the 3rd century AD there still were bands called Bagaudas and actually most tribes raised up against Caesar, alright changing that :)
    But still think the Gaeroas should become skirmishers, that's what they really did...
    Last edited by Arjos; 05-28-2012 at 14:05.

gg2 is the one who works on the EDU file edits, I edit the factional lists. So he'll be the one fixing the actual rosters. Just a request, when y'all come to a consensus on what factional/merc removals/changes/additions you want to make, edit it in the OP or somewhere so I can quickly make those changes for everyone to see on the site. tyvm.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234