Thread: In this thread, things that really rustle your jimmies.

Default In this thread, things that really rustle your jimmies.

Anyone else hate when you get in the fast lane on the highway and this asshole is going 1227 attoparsecs per microfortnight?

Takes a lot to make ACIN mad, but going under 1400 apc/microfortnight in the fast lane really gets to me.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 01-03-2013 at 07:27.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: In this thread, things that really rustle your jimmies.

We Dutch tend to drive the Germans mad taking the fast lane, there are no speed limits on German highways, they jokingly call the NL numberplates 'nur linksch' (always on the left)

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

How many firkins pr. fortnights would that be?
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    How many firkins pr. fortnights would that be?
    Silly Sigurd, a Firkin is a unit of volume, attoparsecs/microfortnight is a velocity not a volumetric flow rate.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Silly Sigurd, a Firkin is a unit of volume
    And also a unit of silliness.
    Status Emeritus

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Slow drivers should be executed.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Slow drivers should be executed.
    As should people flashing their headlights and not keeping a safe distance because I refuse to go over the maximum speed limit.

Just let me finish my maneuver of getting past the slower guy on the other lane and I'll move away from the fast lane straight away; no need to be an ass trying to force me to go over the speed limit, because you can't wait to get yourself killed by driving way too fast.

Beisdes, it doesn't work since that kind of behaviour always impresses me so much that I suddenly start to go much slower...
    Last edited by Andres; 01-03-2013 at 16:07.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Members thankful for this post (3):

People who drive more than 10 mph (16 kph) under the speed limit should be executed, regardless of what lane they are in. People who drive exactly the speed limit should be executed if they are sitting in the fast lane. People who tailgate should be executed regardless of the circumstances.

People who drive more than 10 mph (16 kph) under the speed limit should be executed, regardless of what lane they are in.
    Depends on the weather circumstances and the amount of traffic.

Sometimes I'm happy that it's possible to drive half the speed limit...

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    People who drive exactly the speed limit should be executed if they are sitting in the fast lane.
    You aren't supposed to go faster than the speed limit, you reckless, irresponsible wannabe F1 race pilot Then there's also the fact that in the dictatorial regime of Belgium there's a speed camera every 50 meters or so.

People who tailgate should be executed regardless of the circumstances.
    No, they should be forced to eat their car while I'm watching. Another good solution would be allowing me to wreck their car with a big sledgehammer while they are watching on their knees.

People overtaking on the right (or on the left for those countries where they drive on the left side), should also be forced to eat their cars.
    Last edited by Andres; 01-03-2013 at 16:47.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

People who drive the same speed as the car next to them in the slower lane should be beheaded and then tortured.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    Depends on the weather circumstances and the amount of traffic.

Sometimes I'm happy that it's possible to drive half the speed limit...
    Clearly inclement weather can alter the rules of the road.

You aren't supposed to go faster than the speed limit, you reckless, irresponsible wannabe F1 race pilot
    There are a lot of things that I do that I'm not supposed to. I drive safely at a reasonable rate of speed. The speed at which I drive is perfectly legal in many US states and many other countries. The fact that my state speed limits were created by goddamn fascistic imbeciles does not make my driving inherently reckless. In any case, I accept full responsibility for my decision to ignore stupid laws when I find it prudent. I have never once protested any speeding ticket I have been given; I choose to speed and therefore I accept responsibility for the consequences when I am pulled over. That doesn't make the speed limits around here any less moronically puritanical though.

People overtaking on the right (or on the left for those countries where they drive on the left side), should also be forced to eat their cars.
    Not if the car being overtaken has been given the opportunity to move to the correct lane and has declined to do so. It is not necessary to sit behind an inconsiderate driver for several minutes simply because they have parked themselves in the overtaking lane and refuse to move.

Also, it is my personal opinion that all automobiles should have two separate horn sounds. One should be a polite 'notice' horn to alert people to something in a considerate manner. The other should be a raging demon horn that tells people to go have sexual congress with their own selves.
    Last edited by TinCow; 01-03-2013 at 17:11.

There are a lot of things that I do that I'm not supposed to. I drive safely at a reasonable rate of speed. The speed at which I drive is perfectly legal in many US states and many other countries. The fact that my state speed limits were created by goddamn fascistic imbeciles does not make my driving inherently reckless. In any case, I accept full responsibility for my decision to ignore stupid laws when I find it prudent. I have never once protested any speeding ticket I have been given; I choose to speed and therefore I accept responsibility for the consequences when I am pulled over. That doesn't make the speed limits around here any less moronically puritanical though.
    Clearly, the fines in your country aren't high enough. Perhaps the fines should be 50 % of your wealth or your salary

We have highways with traffic lights on them

Not if the car being overtaken has been given the opportunity to move to the correct lane and has declined to do so. It is not necessary to sit behind an inconsiderate driver for several minutes simply because they have parked themselves in the overtaking lane and refuse to move.
    Clearly, unreasonable behaviour of other drivers can alter the rules of the road.

Also, it is my personal opinion that all automobiles should have two separate horn sounds. One should be a polite 'notice' horn to alert people to something in a considerate manner. The other should be a raging demon horn that tells people to go have sexual congress with their own selves.
    Perhaps you should hang up a punching bag in your car?

Ja mata, TosaInu

This automatically disqualifies you from any conversation about highway etiquette. (Though I will concede my country is almost as stupid for putting traffic lights on roundabouts.)

Physical violence is entirely inappropriate. I am perfectly content to express my distaste for my fellow human beings with verbiage and gesticulation alone.

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!
    This space intentionally left blank.

Member thankful for this post:

From this thread, I'm guessing TinCow commutes on I-66. My condolences.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    People who drive the same speed as the car next to them in the slower lane should be beheaded and then tortured.
    You mean tortured then beheaded...

I'm not a driver, too old to learn and far too reckless and dangerous to be allowed behind a wheel.

Nothing annoys me more than reading threads consisting of whinging drivers complaining about traffic and other drivers.

You are the traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    From this thread, I'm guessing TinCow commutes on I-66. My condolences.
    Yes, I do. Fortunately it's only twice a week since I started working at home. The most infuriating thing is that even with some of the worst traffic in the entire country, it's still faster for me to drive than to take Metro. I live within walking distance of the Vienna station, but it takes me 75 minutes door to door to get to and from work. Driving takes me about 45 minutes to an hour on a normal day, so it's actively faster for me to drive than to take public transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by caravel View Post
    You mean tortured then beheaded...

The most infuriating thing is that even with some of the worst traffic in the entire country, it's still faster for me to drive than to take Metro. I live within walking distance of the Vienna station, but it takes me 75 minutes door to door to get to and from work. Driving takes me about 45 minutes to an hour on a normal day, so it's actively faster for me to drive than to take public transportation.
    Metro's uselessness never ceases to amaze me. 20 years behind the area's growth, and it still shuts down too early.

Clearly, the fines in your country aren't high enough. Perhaps the fines should be 50 % of your wealth or your salary

Try visiting Egypt, they have highways with speedbumps. No speedlimits though.

Is that what you call your wife?
    Wheel down, wheel down to southward! Oh, Gooverooska, go!
    And tell the Deep-Sea Viceroys the story of our woe;
    Ere, empty as the shark's egg the tempest flings ashore,
    The Beaches of Lukannon shall know their sons no more!

Rudyard Kipling, Lukannon

After driving commercially for 15 years "speed demons" really bug me. The fact is the difference in transit times between speeding and doing the limit are so small as to be meaningless. All you "accomplish" is meager self-satisfaction and a false sense of beating time. Save the aggro for something that warrants it; relax and enjoy the drive :p
    Ja-mata TosaInu

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

the fact that I'm the only one in my class without a job....
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Customers that come up to me and ask if we have any Levi's 550 size 33x35 in light stonewash, and then get annoyed when I don't know right away. There's at least 600 pairs of jeans in my store, do they think I'm a freakin' computer?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tuuvi View Post
    Customers that come up to me and ask if we have any Levi's 550 size 33x35 in light stonewash, and then get annoyed when I don't know right away. There's at least 600 pairs of jeans in my store, do they think I'm a freakin' computer?
    Don't work some where like Walmart though, the stupidity gets higher (this was 10 years ago, but I think still would be the same).

Would be on the aisle next to the Milk, and customers ask "Where is the Milk?", and strangely, no matter whatever aisle I was on, I seemed to have receive this question. The thing is, there is a massive sign overhanging saying Milk which can be read anywhere in the store, and you would have to actively walk past a front-facing fridge of Milk to go down onto the aisle I would be working on (if it was the cereal aisle).

The thing is, it isn't simply "asking" as some sort of genuine question, it is sheer incompetence. It is not a case where I could politely just 'say' where it is "It is on the next Aisle, madam", or even point out the huge overhanging sign, or even the floor markings with braille. Any attempt to simply point them in the right direction is met with an expression that you just landed down from the planet Zorgrock and I am a blue alien with tentacles whipping about me. I had to physically almost hold their hand and show them. Obviously, there is no thank you or "silly of me, hehe", it was "grunt" then just stormed down the aisle all the while having to do a dung-eating grin.

---

One of the things which really rustles my jimmies as it were is when it comes to food. It always annoys me when some one cuts away the best part of the meal to discard it, and you are there eyeing it up on their plate, wishing you had it instead and it wasn't wasted on that person who doesn't appreciate the good things. Or they actually takes a nice part of the meal then give it to the dog, then they complain the dog isn't eating their dog-food. Or those people that start giving you lectures because you eat the skin from a chicken drumstick (instead of peeling and discarding it), even though it is covered in herbs and flavourings, making it one of the most delicious parts.
    Last edited by Beskar; 01-05-2013 at 18:23.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Tuuvi 

Then there's also the fact that in the dictatorial regime of Belgium there's a speed camera every 50 meters or so.
    Well none of those actually work. You're more likely to see shooting stars.

Additionally, if by extreme misfortune one of them does work and catches you just claim the "but the cops are Walloon and therefore must have made a mistake with the camera defence"
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I become Dictator of the Universe Tincow shall be appointed my Czar of Traffic and have a fleet of laser-death-ray-equipped satellites with which to keep traffic moving smoothly.

The fact is the difference in transit times between speeding and doing the limit are so small as to be meaningless. All you "accomplish" is meager self-satisfaction and a false sense of beating time. Save the aggro for something that warrants it; relax and enjoy the drive :p
    Going 5-10 mph faster can shorten my commute by 33%.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    When I become Dictator of the Universe Tincow shall be appointed my Czar of Traffic and have a fleet of laser-death-ray-equipped satellites with which to keep traffic moving smoothly.

Going 5-10 mph faster can shorten my commute by 33%.

CR
    So you are massivly speeding in residential areas? Legal speeds has to be 10-20 mph for that to be true.

Now, highway speeding does start to give notable time gains if you drive for 2+ hours in a row.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED