Thread: Modding loyalty?

Philosophically Inclined Member CountMRVHS's Avatar

Default Modding loyalty?

Hi all,

The 'Viking_Heroes.txt' (and Default_Heroes.txt for the bigger European map) shows several columns for attributes of famous heroes. Each attribute seems to be identified by a letter: a=acumen, p=piety, c=command, d=dread.

But there's also a letter "l", which I assume is for "loyalty".

What I'm curious about is whether you can mod this value, to generate heroes with quite low loyalty (in order to, say, reflect different dynastic struggles).

To test, I checked the default Viking campaign, with a rebel hero who starts in Reget with 3 base loyalty, according to the file. Checking in-game, sure enough that general has a total of 5 loyalty: 3 from the base value, and +2 from the title.

So I changed the "3" to "0" in the txt file, saved, and loaded up a new game, only to find the same loyalty.

As a result, I'm not sure if that "l" stands for "loyalty" after all - any ideas?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Modding loyalty?

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    To test, I checked the default Viking campaign, with a rebel hero who starts in Reget with 3 base loyalty, according to the file. Checking in-game, sure enough that general has a total of 5 loyalty: 3 from the base value, and +2 from the title.

So I changed the "3" to "0" in the txt file, saved, and loaded up a new game, only to find the same loyalty.
    Just to clarify, when you say "loaded up a new game", did you restart MTW after saving your change?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Thanks for the reply - yes, I made the changes while MTW was not running, and I started the game to see if they went into effect.

I think now the problem is that I was attempting to change a character who was already present on the map. (That rebel hero is present in Reget from the beginning. If I want to change *his* starting loyalty, I'm guessing I would need to do that in startpos.txt.)

When I made a similar change to the "l" value in a Mercian hero, who showed up after the first turn, the loyalty indeed matched what I had set it to.

So, it looks like the "l" value in viking_heroes.txt is for "loyalty", which I'm happy to confirm for myself :)

Incidentally, drone, I've looked around the place a bit and I'm wondering if you know of any comprehensive guides to the MTW txt files - i.e., what their functionality is, and how different elements can be used? I'm guessing that if there were any such guide, it would be here already, or at TWC, but I've looked through both places and haven't found anything that really goes through the files in detail.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    Incidentally, drone, I've looked around the place a bit and I'm wondering if you know of any comprehensive guides to the MTW txt files - i.e., what their functionality is, and how different elements can be used? I'm guessing that if there were any such guide, it would be here already, or at TWC, but I've looked through both places and haven't found anything that really goes through the files in detail.
    I don't think I've ever seen a guide that covers what all the .txt files do. Mostly it's been along the lines of "if you want to add X to the game, you need to add Y to A.txt, B.txt, and C.txt".
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

That's what I've seen too. Oh well, maybe that's something I can think about attempting in another decade or so! :P

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

All the heroes, even starting ones, take their stats from the heroes.txt appropriate to their era. But you have to restart the campaign for them to apply, it won't change a saved game.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4