Thread: What am I doing wrong here? Making Saracen Infantry recruitable by Almohads

Default What am I doing wrong here? Making Saracen Infantry recruitable by Almohads

Here is what I wrote, I only plugged in Almohad as a Faction that can recruit them and changed the building to Town Watch2:

SaracenInfantry INFANTRY 300 4 1 0 80 100 1 OK "MUS_REBELS(15), MUS_LOYALISTS(5), MUS_PEASANTS(10), MUS_BANDITS(12), MUS_ZEALOTS(10), MUS_HERETICS(15)" "POVERTY_STRICKEN(68.5), DESPERATE_DEFENCE(137), CATHOLIC_EXPANSIONIST(109.6), CATHOLIC_NAVAL_EXPANSIONIST(109.6), CATHOLIC_TRADER(137), CATHOLIC_CRUSADER_TRADER(137), CATHOLIC_EXPANSIONIST_CRUSADER(109.6), CATHOLIC_DEFENSIVE_CRUSADER(164.4), POPE(205.5), CATHOLIC_DEFENSIVE(164.4), CATHOLIC_ISOLATIONIST(205.5), ORTHODOX_DEFENSIVE(164.4), ORTHODOX_EXPANSIONIST(109.6), ORTHODOX_STAGNANT(137), MUSLIM_PEACEFUL(137), MUSLIM_EXPANSIONIST(109.6), MUSLIM_DEVOUT(109.6), BARBARIAN_RAIDER(54.8), REBELS(137), CLOSE_TO_SUPPORT_LIMIT(41.1)" { TOWN_WATCH2 } "DEFENDER,SPEAR" ALL_PERIODS YES "HEIGHT( 85 ), RADIUS( 25 ), SCALE( 120 ), PROJECTILE_TYPE( NONE ), SAMURAI( NO ), MARCH_SPEED( 6 ), RUN_SPEED( 10 ), CHARGE_SPEED( 11 ), MIN_TURNSPEED( 2 ), MAX_TURNSPEED( 8 ), TURN_TO_MOTION_SPEED( 8 ), MAX_INMOTION_TURN( 96 ), FORMATION_WIDTH_SPACING( 60 ), FORMATION_LENGTH_SPACING( 60 ), ENGAGEMENT_THRESHOLD( 1500 ), CHARGE_BONUS( 5 ), MELEE_BONUS( -1 ), DEFENCE_BONUS( 3 ), ARMOUR_LEVEL( 3 ), HONOUR_LEVEL( 0 ), AMMO( 0 ), FORMATIONS_PREFERRED_NUM_ROWS( 4 )" NO "own_unit_tooltip1, own_unit_tooltip2, other_unit_tooltip1, other_unit_tooltip2" "CHAINHLM, YES, YES" "FN_ALMOHAD, FN_EGYPTIAN, FN_TURKISH" "Missile, Shocktroop, Spear, Cavalry" "SKIRMISH(0), ADVANCE_PARTY(1),
    OUTFLANKING_FORCE(0), MAIN_BODY(2), HOLD_TERRAIN(2), RESERVE(1), REINFORCEMENT(1), ASSAULT(1), ASSAULT_COVER(0), ASSAULT_COVER_CASTLE_ATTACK(0), COVER(0)" MUSLIM 2 FORMED LARGE YES 1 NO 1 4 SPEAR YES ALL_PERIODS "FN_ALMOHAD, FN_EGYPTIAN, FN_TURKISH"
    I send you greetings. Need I say more? You are remembered.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: What am I doing wrong here? Making Saracen Infantry recruitable by Almohads

Is the problem that they don't appear as desired, or that the game fails to load? Did you change the file using a standard text editor or the GnomeEditor? It can be picky about tabs and line breaks. I don't see anything too obvious with your changes, I assume the line break after "ADVANCE_PARTY" is from the forum and not present in your file?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Default Re: What am I doing wrong here? Making Saracen Infantry recruitable by Almohads

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Is the problem that they don't appear as desired, or that the game fails to load? Did you change the file using a standard text editor or the GnomeEditor? It can be picky about tabs and line breaks. I don't see anything too obvious with your changes, I assume the line break after "ADVANCE_PARTY" is from the forum and not present in your file?
    Game won't load.

As for editing it, I was just copy pasting manually. I never tried editing it with GnomeEditor.

Edit: Just tried to do it in Gnome, but when I try to load the file, I got runtime error 6 overflow message.

Line break is present in the original file, and not from the forum.
    Last edited by AntiTank; 07-20-2023 at 19:04.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Each entry should be on one line, with tabs separating the individual columns. If you backed up the file, I would suggest refreshing that and starting over. There is nothing wrong with editing the file in a editor other than the GnomeEditor (and it has problems sometimes as well), but the editor needs to be one that will not limit line length, add breaks, or mess with tabs. I used to use vi/vim, but I'm old.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Each entry should be on one line, with tabs separating the individual columns. If you backed up the file, I would suggest refreshing that and starting over. There is nothing wrong with editing the file in a editor other than the GnomeEditor (and it has problems sometimes as well), but the editor needs to be one that will not limit line length, add breaks, or mess with tabs. I used to use vi/vim, but I'm old.
    So how would I write it then? Hit tab when I add FN_Almohad. I'm not really doing a major edit, just a simple copy paste that makes Saracen Spearmen recruitable by Almohads and recruited from TOWN_WATCH2 so I can have a proper baseline for my Almohad Army. All the other editors seem to have deadlinks.

Found a Gnome Editor that works. I am going to try that.

There is also an editor that makes the Unitprod an Excel File, might that work as well?

Ok got it to work! Just had to use the latest version of Gnome Editor and use the text file itself. A mod can lock this now, everything works.