Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Multiplayer is the future

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Default Re: Multiplayer is the future

I have even written one in this gaming magazine I write for - not my nr. 1 business occupation, but its fun as a side job from time to time. I gave the game a bashing 94 % and the editor has, on his own discretion, raised it to 95 %. Silly sod. I moaned the lacks of AI, the abysses of the MP part and much more, basically everything that is being complained about here at the Org… I left nothing out.

I still believe that the Rome has, compared to every other RTS currently on market, gotten a very well deserved review grade.

But for me personally, Medieval and Shogun were far better games. I liked them more, they had more atmosphere, they were more interesting… I hope that the Rome will at least improve only a little bit with the expansion and patches. And I regret I haven’t played M:TW and S:TW online before.

TW fans are simply gotten used and expect more, or at least the same quality as the parts that were released before.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Quote Originally Posted by voigtkampf
    I regret I haven’t played M:TW and S:TW online before. TW fans are simply gotten used and expect more, or at least the same quality as the parts that were released before.
    Don't regret because improved versions barocca's STWmod for MTW/VI and CBR's Community mod for MTW/VI are on the way, and we will be promoting these by being available to play them online as much as possible. If they catch on it will be great and if not then too bad, but that's the wayt it goes. If players want take control of their multiplayer experience, they should take advantage of the mods for MTW which are possible because Creative Assembly built that capability into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhruic
    What it comes down to, I guess, is that RTW is a very good game, but it doesn't seem to be the one you were looking for. That's unfortunate, but, in the grand scheme of things, it is not CA's responsibility to make the game you want.
    Creative Assembly made the game that brought this multiplayer community together. It's not the player community that gave up on it. Creative Assembly gave up on it when they made Rome Total War.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 11-07-2004 at 16:17.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

CA makes single player games, first and foremost. All of the TW games have been single player games. They included a MP component to those games for people to enjoy. But the focus of their efforts has always been in making a superior SP game. With RTW, it would appear that they decided to focus even more on the SP side of things and less on the MP side. You may be personally unhappy with that decision, but in no way is that CA "giving up" on anything.

This melodrama acting as if CA personally went around and stabbed each and every MP player in the back is silly. If you think that MP RTW is inferior to MTW/STW, then keep playing them. If enough people agree with you, you won't be lacking for opponents. Maybe the forthcoming patch will resolve some of your RTW issues - maybe it won't. Regardless, CA put out a great game (albeit with flaws) that they can be proud of. If it's not the game for you, well, that's unfortunate, best of luck finding something better.

Bh

Master of Puppets Member hellenes's Avatar

CA makes single player games, first and foremost. All of the TW games have been single player games. They included a MP component to those games for people to enjoy. But the focus of their efforts has always been in making a superior SP game. With RTW, it would appear that they decided to focus even more on the SP side of things and less on the MP side. You may be personally unhappy with that decision, but in no way is that CA "giving up" on anything.

This melodrama acting as if CA personally went around and stabbed each and every MP player in the back is silly. If you think that MP RTW is inferior to MTW/STW, then keep playing them. If enough people agree with you, you won't be lacking for opponents. Maybe the forthcoming patch will resolve some of your RTW issues - maybe it won't. Regardless, CA put out a great game (albeit with flaws) that they can be proud of. If it's not the game for you, well, that's unfortunate, best of luck finding something better.

Bh
    Although i agree with you on the SP focus there is also another aspect that needs to be clarified:
    The bugs aside the rest of the games "problems" are DESIGN desitions and are UNLIKELY to change!!!
    Many of MTW and STW players (including myself) have heard statements like:
    "TW maps are too big!!!The soldiers walk too slow!!!I cant rush!!!The game needs brain!!!" from the Starcrap/Age of Retard, 10 years old junkies...
    Now since the above retarded morons are MORE than the TW tactical players and CA wanted to make money out of them we ended with tiny maps in SP the speed/kill speed on insane levels...With screaming bitches,dogs,pigs head head hurlers...wait and the MUMMY trannies....
    Now the OBVIOUS problem that CA has is the "AI"...IMHO the ONLY SP solution to this is A TIME MACHINE!!!Yes youve read right if CA invents a time machine and gets a copy of Aritificial Intelligence from the year 2999 then the MP wont be necessary!!!
    Now i just want to see how someone can distract a Warcrap3 junkie off the battlenet to play RTW SP!!!!

Hellenes
    Impunity is an open wound in the human soul.

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

TW is mainly sp yet it still takes them a long time to get a patch for sp. there a few easy bugs in sp that could be spotted just by playing the game once or twice. still to this day the ai puts up no challange in the battles without boosting ai stats. it's like the only challange would be auto resolve.. zzz

we all know TW has always be mainly for sp. some of the old vets of mp like me been playing since stw times. but with each new edition it keeps getting worse and worse. now it's to the point where mp is unplayable.

anyway if the next patch dosn't do any good i will be joining the others that have already stopped playing. it's been fun ...

With RTW, it would appear that they decided to focus even more on the SP side of things and less on the MP side. You may be personally unhappy with that decision, but in no way is that CA "giving up" on anything.
    I would say they gave up or else had someone working on it who didn't know how to do it because MP doesn't even work! It's not up to the standard of the previous games. Out of sync 50% of the battles, no stat checking, fps performance 1/3 of the previous game, lacking controls, no info on the game you are joining. Just have fun in spite of those things? I place a value on my time, and RTW MP is a waste of time.

The SP AI is so bad they might as well drop that too and just make it a turnbased strategy game with all battles auto-resolved. That's how I play it, and it's more challenging. At least the strategy guys at CA got their part mosly right instead of the tactical guys who got their part mostly wrong.

MP was gutted, but included anyway to sell a few more games. I wish CA would stop jerking me and other multiplayers around to get our $50. It still says 8 player multiplayer on the official website. The price of the game has already dropped to $40 one month after release.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 11-07-2004 at 17:36.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Senior Member Senior Member Cheetah's Avatar

This melodrama acting as if CA personally went around and stabbed each and every MP player in the back is silly. ... If it's not the game for you, well, that's unfortunate, best of luck finding something better.

Bh
    It is not a matter of taste, MP in it is current state is a half finished product. I have friends trying to play on MP but they cannot because of connection failures. MP is an advertised feature of RTW, all we ask is to make it work properly, nothing more nothing less. If it does not work then does not advertise it, if you advertise it then make sure it works.

As for my taste, I am sure that RTW MP has a lot greater poitential than MTW had as far as gameplay concerned!!!

Archers are stronger than in MTW, horse archers work as they always should have, spear type units are match for swords, cavs are not overpowered, elephants are not overpowering either (!!!!), chariots add an interesting spin to the game, factions have markedly different strenght and weaknesses, overall IMHO a much greater potential for an enjoyable MP.

Given this potential it is crying shame how CA/Activision handled the MP part of RTW. All that they should have done is to put in a minimal investment to make sure that the basic functions/features work smoothly. IMHO CA/Activison missed a golden opportunity to increase MP share, I am sure that with a minimal amount of care they could have easily doubled or tripled (or even got higher) the size of MP community, firts because all the hype RTW got, second because RTW does have the potential to be a good MP game.
    Lional of Cornwall
    proud member of the Round Table Knights

"If you wish to weaken the enemy's sword, move first, fly in and cut!" - Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

agree with Cheetah .. and i think RTW combat resolution engine may be much more complex and realistic in a sense.

anyhow i'll give rtw mp a chance.. i think the sync isnt a problem now? except for the lousy lobby/chat design, some real bugs during battle.. i can still bear with the new control mechanism and get up to speed with it.
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

There are still synch problems.

I find RTW enjoyable... when I play with people I know. Otherwise the crowd out there is a bit rougher than in MTW (and ignore is badly missed... when I think I did not need that command for a loooooong time)

Louis,
    [FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus9 View Post
    Gil,

Piping dreamers? Come now, you have stooped to our level, at best--calling names like that. That's just offensive and it does nothing to advance the arguments on either side.

I don't want to start a flamewar here as it is unproductive, but I have to respond to your comments. Let me say I respect you more than anyone in the entire CA corporation because you have the cajones to come here and listen to us, talk with us, and from time to time to stand up to us--from what I understand on your own time off the clock which is quite commendable and I've always thought well of you for it. You are the only person at CA that I can count on to listen to me, and only because you personally want to hear--so I really do appreciate that and I appreciate your opinions to.

You hit a raw nerve with the 1% reference, and you are still poking at it. If there is one thing that makes me mad its this much-touted "less than 1%" justification for all the problems in MP. I've been around for long enough to have heard it every time we voice our valid concerns (e.g. with the release of MTW v1.0). In fact, maybe I should just stop complaining about it and accept that whenever CA rolls out the "less than 1%" remark they are really on the defensive for a change and maybe it means stuff will get fixed.

I spend good money on your games and my opinion should be worth as much as any other customer, no matter what "segment" I'm in. If you want to justify poor service to one segment or another, I'd prefer you keep it to yourself or tell us up-front what your position is (preferably before we spend our money).

With all due respect-- what is your personal opinion on this issue 1%? You've asked us what ours is, and we've answered. Now how about yours?

Do you come here just to jab us in the ribs by reminding us that not only CA but the industry at large considers us (and everything we value as MP afficianados) to be of less value than other paying customers? I think not, but with the piping dreamers reference it almost feels like it. This is a sensitive topic for me--the most sensitive topic related to the TW series of games, actually (for me at least).

Let me get to the point-- I knew you would neither embrace nor reject the 1% position based on the way you raised it-- pointing to another unrelated thread somewhere, by someone else, involving some other game. But you see, that position has been advanced time and time again by CA in response to our valid concerns over bugs. In your response (above), you talk out of both sides of your mouth--on one hand you say that it is not CA's position and then you immediately offer the much-touted statistical evidence which CA "has" that justifies that same position.

Which is it? What is your personal opinion? What is CA's official position?

Is it or is it not CA's position that less than 1% of TW sales are driven by MP players?

Are you here just to ask questions without offering your own opinion? Is this a crashcourse in the Socratic method? lol. I'm sorry I went for the cheap laughs-- you got me there. And frankly, I don't know squat about the stardock game or its executives, or the reasons why it failed. I don't know if the MP side of that game was great or not.

Yes, we have the luxury of dreaming about how great R:TW could be-- you have the unenviable task of trying to get us there. But when we are told (directly or indirectly) that our opinions as a community can essentially be ignored--that is going to make us defensive.

Actually thats all we ever asked for was some care, attention, and investigation (like beta testing). But I'm taking another semantic cheap shoap shot--so I won't go further down that road.

I suppose your "statistics" don't include the hundreds upon hundreds (if not thousands) of people who crashed to desktop when they first tried to logon to MP and either gave up or returned the game? I suppose your stats dont include people who couldn't get their CD Key to work? Or what about all the people that were alienated by the lack of MP support (and the plethora of bugs) in the STW and MTW releases-- good solid players who swore never to purchase another EA or CA game again. (Do you remember the massive server crashes and downtime of STW, and all the veterans who left over that? I do). And of course you admit they arent including the LAN players (who in many countries outnumber the online players).

But even so, lets take this 1% stat as the gospel truth--and also assume that no amount of MP support or development will ever increase that percentage to beyond 2%. Is that fair enough? is that too much of an assumption?

If that is true, then why would CA continue to offer an MP side? Just for that 1% bump in sales? Does that make sense? Maybe. If it does make fiscal sense to spend money on MP to gain a 1% bump in sales, then doesn't it also make sense to spend twice as much and hope to gain a 2% bump in sales?

But we never see the increased effort, and so you will never see the increase sales. And then you offer the same old stats to us as justification for not making the effort to begin with? I suggest that the fact that you STILL have 1% MP participation after all the bugs in every release of TW indicates you could have easily grown the MP portion to 2% or 3%.

So maybe you can help us understand why it makes sense for CA to half-ass MP in order to get a 1% increase in sales, while it does not make sense to double your effort to see double the increase in sales?

By the way--these games you suggest were great and that had great MP content that failed, I've not played any of them except Stronghold. I bought Stronghold at the same time I bought STW (I think I bought them both the same day) and I played it for 10 minutes and its sat in my computer desk for 3 years since then. I think I paid $39.95 for stronghold and $19.95 for STW.

Compared to TW, Stronghold is a pathetic excuse for a tactical game. I'm surprised you could even put it in the same class its so bad. I kid you not, I haven't put it into my computer since I bought it over 3 years ago. Really it was just Lemmings on crack with no tactical elements--just puzzle solving and fast clicking.

I've been playing nothing but TW and online poker since I purchased STW. In fact, I haven't purchased a single non-CA game since then. Now that is brand loyalty for you.

and what do we get in return? we get another buggy release and the hoary old justification (direct or indirect) that we are "less than 1%" so we might as well just accept what we are given and be happy about it.

You name plenty of successful MP games yourself--more than I can come up with--more than I knew existed. I just know the market for them exists because everyone I know prefers to play MP, and the vast majority of forum goers I bump into prefer MP. I had no idea there really was such a precedent out there for MP oriented profit. In any case, I think it is safe to say that from a player's perspective those games don't hold a CANDLE to Total War's potential.

"Tell me why we should take any risks without a great deal of care and attention and investigation *and some numbers to back it up*."

Because we are the players and we say so. That's about all we have that we can tell you. If you would share some of your figures or even your opinion maybe we would have something to work off--but you are asking us to persuade you without even knowing where you stand.

Take a look at your numbers from STW and MTW. I'll bet you see a pattern. Immediately after the initial release you see some really good MP numbers online (or trying to logon but getting crashed). Maybe even up to about 1.5% or 2%. Then after a few months the numbers dwindle back down to 1% (dissatisfaction). After the patch you get another small bump, and then dwindle again down to probably about .5% or .75% before the next release.

Here's another guess. Your online numbers went up a little bit after each major release, but not in between (expansions). No matter what happens, there is always a base of maybe .5% that is always around.

That .5% is us, your hardcore loyal MP players. The expansions dont effect MP play that much because they don't bring in any new players and by that time the folks who are fed-up have left and its just us hardcore folks left. Maybe a few come back to try the expansion, but not many.

My guess is that you lose about 1% of MP players PER full-release to frustration and alienation at the numerous MP bugs and poor support (EA was the worst! I still have nightmares about loggin on to the Shoggy server), and that those players never return. Look at the active registered members here at the .org compared to the inactive members. Lots of people have gone the way of the do-do over the years.

One thing is for sure--the unpolished, unfinished, buggy MP aspect of TW full releases drives people away. After the patch your numbers stabilize.

If your "care and attention and investigation and numbers" show that MP is a waste of time, then just cut it already. If not, then take the damn risk and see what happens. Rather than allocating 1% of your budget to MP, try allocating 3% and see what happens. It's not going to bankrupt CA but it will pay off, trust us. Thats all we can say. We are done here in the trenches every day. We see the MP afficianados leave in droves after ever full release. Its been like that after EVERY release for YEARS at a time-- and yet your numbers hover around 1%? Thats because you get new hard-core MP players who are willing to accept the bugs to play this wonderful game of TW--but you can never replace the paying customers that have given up, you can never replace the players who try MP but get errors and quit to play another game.

The vast marketing bonanza that is MP word of mouth has never been tapped into by the Total War series. MP word of mouth has worked AGAINST you. And it always will until you allocate more resources to fixing the problems BEFORE you go to press. No amount of thought and consideration is going to change that fundamental problem-- if you sell me a crappy tasting burger the first time I come to your restaurant, I wont come again. If your response to my complaint is that most of your customers buy your steaks and arent interested in your burgers, so you really don't mind that your burgers suck, then you can also expect I wont return to your establishment to buy a burger.

Then when your burger sales are flat you say, ahh well, nobody wants burgers?

This has got to be the circular logic of the century--can't you guys see that?

I think you should have a look at CA again,you say you respect them?Yet you say the games are crap,shogun's no good!

Well,I'm not on the side of you people who hate CA and then say you like them,I'm on CA's side for this and they're not in my opininon corrupt.Thats why we dont hav e the CA people coming on any total war wensite to talk,becuase as soon he talks..he gets bombarded!

yeah.....I'm gonna sleep....
    Last edited by Marshall Louis-Nicolas Davout; 05-04-2011 at 13:15.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Did you noticed that this was 7 years old thread?

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    Did you noticed that this was 7 years old thread?
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

I think the funniest part is that Takeda appears to be very emotional and passionate about his position on the subject. I'm guessing he was up waaay past his bedtime when he posted this and didn't even see how old this thread had become. Been there, done that. ;-)

Although I don't find much wrong with recycling threads instead of spamming via a new one, I must say that this may potentially be a record necro in the history of this website: almost exactly 6 years and 6 months.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Unbowed Unbent Unbroken Member Lazy O's Avatar

Just saw the date......

*epic facepalm*
    Last edited by Lazy O; 05-05-2011 at 19:27.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

[21:16:17] [Gaius - 5.115.253.115]
    i m not camping , its elegant strategy of waiting

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The point has been made, guys. Lay off of Takeda, please.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345