Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sengoku: the Age of 3D War

Default Re: Sengoku: the Age of 3D War

Quote Originally Posted by HicRic
    Well, that's the fault of the game engine and not Duke John.

Lechev, I don't understand. Samurai are from Japan, so why to you talk about Chinese armour and the like? They aren't supposed to be Chinese warriors from the warring states period of china 475-221 BC but samurai from Japan in the Sengoku Jidai period (the game covers around about 1550-1600 AD ish, if I remember correctly?)

About 2000 years between them. I apologise if you were meaning something different, however. I intend no disrespect.
    Its ok, what i mean its the skin appearence of the modded armour. Yes i know they are about 2000 yrs apart.
    A Member of Clan SG

"水无常形,兵无常势"

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, this makes a total of 4 post for this topic...hehehe so no body can accuse me of spamming with posts without any content
    A Member of Clan SG

"水无常形,兵无常势"

An awesome effort..great. I would also love to see a Shogun mod, finetuned to feel like old STW as well. STW 1.12 was arguebly the finest gameplay ever in the franchise.

Go to www.samurai-archives.com for anything you need about Samurai.

The Order of Kenchikuka

I've already started making models. Has someone formally declared a mod in the works?

Samurai model

I could do the voiceovers in Japanese as well.

Edit: Changed pic to link.
    Last edited by Ceryx; 10-18-2004 at 21:31.

Very nice Ceryx, how many polys?

Just waiting for DJ to start up the project thread... :)

Thank you. A little over 700 when the katana and saya are included, though I think I can shave off more here and there.

It's about the same as many of the higher roman models (which are 750-800).

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Ceryx you are the man! I would gladly see you working on the Sengoku Jidai mod. I've talked with barocca and he is also very interested. Combine that with the interest shown by some S:TW MP veterans and this might turn out very well indeed

I will make a design document so that everyone knows what the content of the mod will be. The mod will only cover the Sengoku period. It's a period with almost constant warring factions which makes it perfect for the TW engine. The campmap will only cover Japan. The result will hopefully a nice little mod that can be playable within a few months.

Great! Thank DJ as I said if you need any gameplay/information/help from old STW players just tell us. I'm awaiting in trepidation. I will surely follow the development of this mod.

Ceryx, great!!!

Regarding sounds, gameart etc I think you can import everything from STW hopefully. For unit balance, you can easily see the stats of the units from STW (they're in one of the txts) and apply them, perhaps increasing them equally across the board since RTW seems to need that.
    Last edited by Tera; 10-15-2004 at 09:45.

The Order of Kenchikuka

i have only one word....WOW!!!!!! This is a master piece of art work! Good stuff!
    A Member of Clan SG

"水无常形,兵无常势"

I've set up a thread in the Dungeon. If you have anything to contribute then feel free to post there.
    Development Thread

Cheers,
    Duke John

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

guys, the CAS files have been cracked just about, modle editing is now able to take place in the game, and soon animations will be figured out as well. Check out the TWC for more info on the progress of modding so far
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

Did i mention i wanna hug u John?
    (eventhough my rtw online still doesnt work)
    This has got me pumped m8..........

Japan here i come again
    Hold out baits to entice the enemy.
    Feign disorder,then CRUSH him.

Post Re: Sengoku: the Age of 3D War

Last night I posted on twcenter.net about how I was wondering if there was a group of guys trying to make a STW mod with the RTW engine. No one mentioned you all... but I kept looking and here you are!

Anyways, I have to first congradulate you all for the progress that you have made thus far. If CA would only provide the same level of support that Relic does (for Homeworld 2, all the data files and plugins were released with the game, and the developers were always there on the forums to help anyone who needed it), this whole mod would be a lot easier.

My first big question is, how will the campagin map be done? I have heard little talk about it in the RTW forums. Second, how will the clans be differentiated from one another (other than with textures and unit costs)?

My humble suggestion is that prehaps it would be more interesting and diverse to set this mod during the invasion of Korea. You could do it this way: have the Toyotomi regime be set as the Senate, they give the various clans under its control certain missions on the Korean pennisula. Eventually the clans will get so rich and so powerful that they can make a grab for power at home. I mean, all the game mechanics and triggers are there already... By bringing Korea and China into play we greatly diversify the number of units. My biggest turn off in STW was how the armies were so symetrical. Also it would be interesting to try and invade Japan as either the Koreans or the Chinese
    The Western wind carries with it the scent of triumph...

Turin,

It was the homogeneity of the clans in STW that allowed the tactical gameplay in multiplayer battles to rise to a high level. When factions are given units that other factions don't have, it becomes more difficult to balance the game.

Cyrex,

Very impressive graphic model.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Wink Re: Sengoku: the Age of 3D War

Puzz

I can definitely see your point. When players start on even ground the battle can be more interesting. But IMHO it is still more FUN to fight assymetrical battles. There was a time before Starcraft came out, when most RTS games had more or less perfectly symetrical opposing forces. But after Starcraft people began to see that it was much more fun to diversify and de-symetricize (might be a word?) the opposing forces. This was done in MTW and of course in RTW to an even greater extent.

I mean, how fun would RTW be if there were only Romans? I mean a big part of what keeps the campagin interesting inm RTW is that you can have an army and a set of standardized tactics prepared for Western or Barbarian style warfare then when you move against Parthia or the other Eastern powers, you can easily get cremed and then be forced to change your strategy. In the old STW, all I had to do was get musketeers, yari samurai, naginata cavalry , plus a few monks and I can dominate every other clan because they came at me with more or less the same types of armies.

But that's just my humble opinion...
    The Western wind carries with it the scent of triumph...

I also made a mod for the Wars of the Roses period. Each faction had the same selection of units. As with S:TW I wasn't bothered with it as it focusses the game on tactics and not on some overpowering units. Would you pick units that are weak vs certain factions? I guess not, so you will need more units to have the same amount of viable units; 10 units with symmetrial armies, 15 units with asymmetrial units since there is a big chance that 5 units are useless vs a particular faction.

If there is a historical background behind faction specific units then it will be included, but they should never be overpowering. I think we all remember the common Spanish faction prepatch that was chosen most of the time for its Lancers. That situation is something I would like to avoid.

The tactic that u want to use force the unit selection, together with the opponent knowledge and the terrain.
    If the army chosed is almost always the same, it means that the unit balancing is not good, or the tactic used similar.
    With this mod it could be, as an example, solved many problems arised with the 1.02, introducing ashigaru archers, samurai matchlocks, etc....available to every faction.
    In general I agree with DJ, the difference between fun and bore game has not to be located in the symmetric/asimmetric unit selection dichotomy.
    Ceryx: impressive the image.
    Paperi si nasce

Amazing Duke John.

Wolves are really interested in this mod and if needed, we are willing to help for its development and balancing issues.

Let us know if we can be of any help for the development of this mod.

Kyo

Howl guys,

Firstly, the Wolves commend Duke John on his impressive and excellent work thus far, this in turn has stimulated interest in the Wolves Den. Therefore Magyar Khan and Kocmoc have personally offered to assist in any testing required, along with the rest of the pack.

We wish a successful conclusion to this project.

*Bows*

Kansuke.

Kansuke Yamamoto

Yes

OOPS

Double Whammy!

See the Wolves are keen

PS: Can I have my STW Avatar back Please. HEH just realized I can do it myself.
    Last edited by Kansuke; 10-19-2004 at 22:05.

Kansuke Yamamoto

Yes

You can change it yourself in the usercp now.

Thank you for the offers. My pics may look good ( ) but Ceryx is doing alot better. Go to the development thread for some screenshots.

While Ceryx is making the units, I am making the campmap. Once he is finished we will release a tactical mod as soon as possible so that the MP community can make stats and playtest them. If you like you can already start discussing the stats and what role the units should have.

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Great idea DJ.

Aregato for all you do

*bows*

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Sengoku Jidai has now its own forum: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=85

Drop by if you have any ideas. Feel free to make a new thread.

I'm making a new interface so if there are any issues with the official one that you like to see fixed then bring it forward. Nothing too big, but I can make different icons for the valour thingies. Or uniticons with more contrast between selected and unselected.

Or perhaps you are already having ideas about stats. While the unitlist isn't completed yet, you might have an idea about how spearmen can be made effective vs cavalry.

Cheers,
    Duke John

LOl this is great news. I would love to play Shoggy in 3D.

Reviving Shogun Total War was always the first thing on my mind ever since first seeing the screenshots of RTW. I'm glad somebody is doing this, because there is no way in hell I would do it alone.

I am a modeller, and I will gladly help out if you guys need any more modellers. (Ceryx that's awesome!)

Here's a Samurai model pack I made for Jedi Academy:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/acore/4094/7915/b2.jpg
    http://www.pcgamemods.com/acore/4094/7915/b1.jpg
    http://www.pcgamemods.com/acore/4094/7915/b3.jpg
    http://www.pcgamemods.com/acore/4094/7915/b4.jpg
    http://www.pcgamemods.com/acore/4094/7915/b5.jpg

So if you guys need another modeller, I'll gladly help. :D

Sorry for the late reply, but those are looking very nice!

Ceryx has already made most of the models, but since your work looks so great I'm sure that we can use your talent. Officers and such still need to be done so if you are still interested please contact Ceryx (PM or via the Sengoku Jidai subforum)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimesu_Evil
    Reviving Shogun Total War was always the first thing on my mind ever since first seeing the screenshots of RTW. I'm glad somebody is doing this, because there is no way in hell I would do it alone.

I am a modeller, and I will gladly help out if you guys need any more modellers. (Ceryx that's awesome!)

Here's a Samurai model pack I made for Jedi Academy:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/acore/4094/7915/b2.jpg
    http://www.pcgamemods.com/acore/4094/7915/b1.jpg
    http://www.pcgamemods.com/acore/4094/7915/b3.jpg
    http://www.pcgamemods.com/acore/4094/7915/b4.jpg
    http://www.pcgamemods.com/acore/4094/7915/b5.jpg

So if you guys need another modeller, I'll gladly help. :D
    That's very nice...

I hope you continue to post more of your work here. I enjoy seeing it...

Unhappy Re: Sengoku: the Age of 3D War

I guess you didn't hear, Ferocious, Duke John left the mod :(

Hopefully he will soon realise the error of his ways and continue though! They had a great looking parchment campaign map!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshitsune
    This is slightly disturbing, Duke John:

Can horse archers fire 360 dgrees in RTW? Or even to the right at all?? This really isn't very convincing even for an unarmoured horseman capable of the 'Parthian shot' backwards. The following is a diagram of the maximum fire arc for an armoured samurai from one of Turnbull's books:

Some stylised japanese picture scrolls etc show a greater arc including an *almost* Parthian shot but firing to the right is just a physical impossibility even without armour...
    Ancient Korean archers were capable of the "Parthian shot" backwards:

Does RTW have fog? I liked the misty weather in STW.
    "Winner of the 1st "Shamble's Total War Tournament,
    with 0 losses to his name.
    Hunkin Elvis
    "

-Shambles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12