Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A quick question from a modding newbie...

Ashes to ashes. Funk to funky. Member Angadil's Avatar

Default Re: A quick question from a modding newbie...

Minor addiition: I've been fooling around some and it seems that units recruited in core buildings cannot have another building in their recruiting requirements. Buildings which work perfectly as condition for units recruited in, for example, barracks would cause a CTD as soon as I tried to make them a prerequisite for units recruited by core buildings.

Can anyone else confirm this, or elaborate on it?

A.
    Europa Barbarorum. Giving history a chance.

Another excellent theory, Angadil. It would also explain why recruiting peasants with a farm requirement barfed. Alas, I'm at work and can't test our two hypotheses. You're saying that units recruited at a governor's X cannot be made dependent on any other building. My theory is that recruitment of any unit cannot be made dependent on a building that can't recruit a unit already. Note that the two are not mutually exclusive, we might well both be right. I'd like to try moving recruit peasant to the farms, then see if I can make recruit something else dependent on farms, just as an exercise in testing the hardcoded limits for posting in Red Harvest's thread on that subject. I'd also like to try making recruit militia dependent on farms, to see if my crashes were due to my theory being true or to yours.
    "Let us wrestle with the ineffable and see if we may not, in fact, eff it after all." -Dirk Gently, character of the late great Douglas Adams.

Sorry, brain fart, ignore my previous post. Your previous problem has already proven my theory, so we are both correct and the only remaining question is whether adding recruitment capability to a building that doesn't have it (ie peasants to farms) allows that building to be used as a prereq for other units. If not, then it's hardcoded to only allow dependencies on the buildings that can recruit in vanilla. Once that's settled, I'll feel more like I've earned my first sticky. Many thanks to Duke John for the honor and Angadil for the assist.
    "Let us wrestle with the ineffable and see if we may not, in fact, eff it after all." -Dirk Gently, character of the late great Douglas Adams.

Sorry, I should have elaborated a bit more. Your theory, to the extent I've been able to test it, was perfectly sound: buildings that don't build units caused a CTD everytime I tried to make them a condition for another unit (that applies to buildings that recruited units in vanilla, but from which I had removed that capability). Conversely, buildings that build units can be made prerrequisites for units built somewhere else. And that is valid for buildings that did not even exist in vanilla. I implemented a completely new building, made it capable of recruiting peasants and worked perfectly well as a requirement for units recruited at the barracks. I would guess that it also should work with pre-existing buildings to which you add the recruiting capability.

HOWEVER, the above simply does not seem to apply to core_buildings. Units recruited there simply won't admit any building in their requirements, regardless of whether it recruits units or not. In my experience, this is valid for both units recruited at core buildings in vanilla or units made recruitable there in a modification.

Again, thanks, Pode. I am finally progressing in things I wanted to implement.

A.

Thanks for doing the tests. I was busy over on the .com tonight trying to tackle other issues and didn't get to it. Glad to hear this helps you out. Was it a personal project or did I actually make a minor contribution to the lofty EB?

Lofty EB? With folks like me? Nah...

But if I like the results of my fooling around and I submit them for the rest of the team to test and they like them too. Then, yes, I guess you could say you contributed.

It took me forever to find this; I didn't think to look in the pinned threads

Thanks for all the extra ideas and tips; this thread has produced some good stuff. I've not tried out any extra changes yet, nor am I even sure if I need to add them - I simply haven't had time to play since my last post. I'll post back a report about how the AI does with just my initial changes when I have tested it a bit more thoroughly. So far the frog mod is certainly better than vanilla for me.

Keep the ideas coming; I want the frogmod to pose a real challenge, and once the AI is building good armies I might look at changing other things to increase the challenge. I'm definitely going to incorperate the trait fixes being generated over in the Ludus Magna thread.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12