Poll: Do you still want to play vi?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your views on vi mp.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Default Re: Your views on vi mp.

Samurai Wars sticky has info and links: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=41796

Yeah had some good games yesterday although Im starting to get tired of losing to Alex and Sid

edit: oh and remember to get volume 1-3 mappack here if you dont already have it http://www.mizus.com/Files/k0rgs8gVt...PackVol1-3.exe

CBR
    Last edited by CBR; 06-11-2005 at 13:31.

"although Im starting to get tired of losing to Alex and Sid "

But you just let us win so we would play sam more often didnt you?

I think you 're getting a hold on how to promote your mods CB;)
    Start inviting everyone for a test game and then lose consecutively; they 'll love it, trust me heh

Anyway, it was pretty fun playing a really challenging game after quite some time. In such mods, everything can happen, solid teams can get disoriented and small mistakes can lead to disaster indeed (as I've experienced quite a few times, esp with those bloody teppos - although they quite crunchy when you charge em from the flank with YCs:O))

Damn, we 're really beginning to get synchronised, eh Sid
    Last edited by L'Impresario; 06-11-2005 at 15:57.
    [VDM]Alexandros
    -------------------------------------------
    DUX: a VI MP enhancement mod
    -Version 0.4 is out
    -Comments/Technical Problems are welcome here
    -New forum on upcoming DUX tourney and new site (under construction).

this is my second post on the org and i hope to be of use throwing in my two cents.

most of u know me as a praetorian noob. even as one of them i have experienced the joy of playing VI, although i lost most times,(thanks alex, sid) i still remember those fun games.

as to why the numbers in the vi lobby seem to be on the decline, i will blame WoW. most dislike rome and cant get back into vi after they have betrayed it to the anticipation of rome. do u think our beloved vi would ever love us again after we pined so long for rome and at her first kiss we got AIDS?

do u really think vi could take us back into her loving arms after we have betrayed her so?

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

There is definitely a move underway “back” to VI.

Don’t look at the numbers, look at the names.

Maybe it’s been long enough that we don’t mind returning to the “old” game?

Maybe we just can’t wait any longer for pie-in-the-sky.

A “Multie” has to play to stay alive, so it’s back up stream to the old spawning ground.

And you know what, for as long as it lasts, it sure feels good…

Hope to see you there
    Last edited by Tomisama; 06-22-2005 at 03:19.
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

do u really think vi could take us back into her loving arms after we have betrayed her so?
    some of us have been seeing her off and on the last six months, but I think she will take anybody anytime.

Some Hunters and Bears have stuck thru thick and thin, but the only one who has been completely true is Chattie, and he's not talking

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Hahahaha max 43 and your complaining...we Shogun diehards have gotten used to logging into an empty foyer day after day...15 online at once was a big day for us...once in a while we even had 4v4's...

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ichi
    but the only one who has been completely true is Chattie, and he's not talking

ichi
    Do you think he knows something that we don't

Jochi
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jochi Khan
    Do you think he knows something that we don't

Jochi
    Hi Jochi.

He is probably holding out for the "yet to be announced" longest online award closely followed by Bear Bottom.

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

I am not moving back to VI.

RTW has many wrongs, one of which being underlying some of MTW/ VI faults I can't overlook anymore.

After playing RTW, using minimal UI, I got a hard time playing MTW/VI again; RTW had a MAJOR improvement with left click/ right click. I also find green arrows in RTW very helpful (although ugly). As far as interface goes, I think RTW is a superior product, and now playing MTW feels VERY frustrating.

I share Anne point of view; MTW was stalling a long time ago, long before RTW came out. The diversity of armies and situations was lacking... Remember the so many threads about swords being overpowered? Whether 5k would help or not? How frustrating that was?

Vanilla MTW/ VI got lot of faults that can probably be corrected by mod (such as very slow missile duel, pavese on hold/ hold resisting cavalry charge, rock/paper/scissor broken)... But so does RTW...

So right now, I got lot of fun playing non TW related games
    I got a slow Ironman RTW campaign going... For days I can't play Guild Wars ... And I play an occasional RTW MP, if a clannie shows up on msn.
    That's it for TW as far as I am concerned.

Louis,
    [FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Sorry for OFF-thread post: (I do not play MTW)

Sid_Quibley, in the weekends, esecially evenings(for people near GMT) (mornings for U.S. there are quite some people. More and more are dropping in and STW is not in that bad state anymore

- Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

I have to say I mirror a lot that Louis has to say, VI was indeed very stale way before the release of RTW. I have my own theories as to some of the causes of this rapid stagnation but I will not go over this again. It is disappointing none-the-less that so many can see major faults within RTW yet fail to acknowledge the faults of VI.

Louis, you are absolutely right about the interface of RTW, it is far superior to that of VI. Here again, I feel that people did not give it a chance and chose instead to dismiss it immediately.

I find that I am no longer a regular in the lobby but more a casual visitor these days. I have my own thoughts about the state of the RTW lobby too but I will not go into that either because it really is not worth the bother. I do not play any other PC games, TW was the only one that appealed to me and as things have transpired, perhaps this will mean that I spend less time sat at my PC in the evenings. I would not consider going back to VI though as I really was glad to see the back of that game. Plus the potential that Barbarian Invasion has to offer makes VI look positively ordinary by comparison

.....Orda

it's been good to see old familiar faces recently.

i no longer own rtw, and don't think i'll repurchase it... maybe another tw game will be better, but like tomi said, pie in the ski.

And you know what, for as long as it lasts, it sure feels good…

Hope to see you there

w00t! had some fun games the last few weeks, my mini-revival has been a blast, and the hatred of viking era is still alive and well

It has been fun these few last weeks, many old vets HAVE stop by for a couple of games...MTW/VI is still alive! It has been a great pleasure and honor to meet and battle many of you old timers. After all you are the guys that made this game so much fun and exciting. We welcome all you back! Happy Hunting!
    Hunter King George Visit the Realm of the Hunters:
    Proud participant of the Code of Honor. Have you signed the code?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe
    Vanilla MTW/ VI got lot of faults that can probably be corrected by mod (such as very slow missile duel, pavese on hold/ hold resisting cavalry charge, rock/paper/scissor broken)... But so does RTW...
    Actually, you cannot really fix RTW MP or SP gameplay with a mod. The charge is broken and there are some problems with how spears work. That's going to require that CA put some effort into improving the battle mechanics. You can fix MTW/VI multiplayer with a mod because the battle mechanics work properly, and we did that with Samurai Wars which gives a highly tactical gameplay with a nice pace to the battles. Nothing can be done about lack of right click or horse archers not shooting on the move, but the MTW engine does give a combat penalty to overlapped units which RTW does not so the MTW engine is more advanced in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe
    So right now, I got lot of fun playing non TW related games
    Unfortunately, that's the state of TW right now, although, I'm currently trying Mordred's RTW mod in a SP campaign, and it's definitely an improvement over the regular game. His mod is a fine tuning of the regular game not a drastic makeover.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Max 43 people online and only two people that I knew from pre-RTW days.
    Try on weekends you can still find over 100 sometimes. I have never had any problem finding lots of old players there. Many have changed their names now that their clans arent active there anymore like myself.I could give you a list of 40 or 50 older players Ive played with this week.

The thing that made MTW-VI the best game in the world was the community though. Im afraid thats what RTW destroyed. The thing thats lacking now is all the interclan competition.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Kind of funny.

The RTS I play generally, Kohan, is in the same situation (crappy sequel from the same company, community on life support and clan rivalries (not to mention clans) dead or dying).

Anyway, picked up MTW and thought I'd give MP a shot. What's the learning curve like? I mean, the AI is pretty bad in medieval, you can generally just time charges and win with vastly inferior numbers (I routed upwards of 1000 men with about 400 at one point in the campaign).

Thing is, I don't really feel like fighting noobness for six months; I don't have that kind of time for PC games anymore. Any advice on whether it's worth the effort?

Alou.

lol, SP is crap.U cant learn anything for MP their.
    Many ppl who play SP a year or more coming in the MP lobby the first
    time and getting massacred from ppl who played the game a few months in MP.
    And this guys who play a few months getting easly massacred from the
    guys who play MTW/VI more as 1-2 years.

First of all: MP is vastly more enjoyable than SP - I regretted for not trying it out sooner, wasting 2 years in campaign. Otoh , this was good, as the vibrant TW community of old did "force" you to commit many hours of your life.

People who are willing to learn, have done a bit of homework and watch carefully what others do, will be able to fight decently in most situations after a 3-4 weeks period. Ofcourse now that there aren't many clans around and high-level playing (esp. in team games) is somewhat damaged by lack of competition (I don't point this out as a negative, the game is fun either way you look at it), the learning curve might be a bit longer as you can't replace a certain amount of experience acquired by playing vs a variety of knowledgeable in the game people. I wouldn't also forget that in team games many parameters apply and how your allies play -and how you react to them ofcourse- is as important as your own individual abilities.

IMO tho, most important of all is the "protocol". Moving little sprites around you can learn, decent manners you can't.
    [VDM]Alexandros
    -------------------------------------------
    DUX: a VI MP enhancement mod
    -Version 0.4 is out
    -Comments/Technical Problems are welcome here
    -New forum on upcoming DUX tourney and new site (under construction).

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

The thing that made MTW-VI the best game in the world was the community though. Im afraid thats what RTW destroyed. The thing thats lacking now is all the interclan competition.
    Sir Gawain, I have been thinking about this for about a month now. Seeing quite a few Clans represented on VI, maybe we could try a Clan Wars 4v4 Special Competition. Are there 4 RTKs up for such an event?

HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Ill ask
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12