Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worst bands of all times...

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Default Re: Worst bands of all times...

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    i just have to listen to a couple of their songs and i start to realize were mark chapman was coming from..)
    Some thoughts are best left thoughts and should never see the light of day.

If the next person could refrain from empathizing with James Earl Ray or Lee Harvey Oswald, we would all appreciate it.

Back to the music!
    Unto each good man a good dog

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Wot? The Sex Pistols, suck?

Thats it I'm off to listen to Never Mind the Bollocks right now to purge such heresy from my mind...
    I have to agree that they suck. They are so... annoying and angry. The songs have no... life. They helped to ruin good music.

AAAHHH!!!! You did not just say that Kiss is bad did you? While I don't like what they represent they have some good songs (Strutter being top of the list)
    I hate KISS. They don't care about music, just money. And they wear make up...

Yes it is. If you deny the musicness of Rap then you deny the musicness of all forms of rock.
    Please. There is no guitar in rap, no piano, no drums, no harmonica. No music.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

This might get me flamed, but I've always disliked the Beatles. Maybe because I am too young to be impressed by their charms or what, but I can't stand their music (sound almost out of tune...almost) and the people just piss me off.

Besides them, the Limp Bizkits and other schmuck 'bands' of today are an insult to music.

And no, I don't count Rap as a form of music. It's more like a virus.

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

McFly or any NuMetal or BoyMetal group.

God I want to punch them so much. I think I'd be happy bunching those guys for a long time after they died.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

My word but there is a lot of hostility here.

I thought this was a music thread.

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

This might get me flamed, but I've always disliked the Beatles.

Maybe because I am too young to be impressed by their charms
    Maybe your just to young to appreciate great music

but I can't stand their music (sound almost out of tune...almost) and the people just piss me off.
    Wow you must hate Jazz then. Of course though Jazz musicians suck dont they.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Nah, I don't like Jazz either, not usually. But I am glad to see Ronin helped me out on this.

As far as I know, the best thing the Beatles did was introduce drugs into music. Keep weeding out the population of them...good work guys!

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Sorry G-man, but i don't like the Beatles either. I'd rather listen to sharpened nails on a chalk board than listen to the hyped up four. I'm more of an Elvis fan myself, that might explain the dislike for the bugs.
    RIP Tosa

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: Worst bands of all times...

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    Some thoughts are best left thoughts and should never see the light of day.

If the next person could refrain from empathizing with James Earl Ray or Lee Harvey Oswald, we would all appreciate it.

Back to the music!

Beirut....for future reference....if you ever read a post of mine on these boards that can be reasonably interpreted as a joke....you can go ahead and make that assumption 99.9% of the time.....this one is no exception

also....comparing the assassinations of 2 of the greatest men of the 20th century with the assassination of a brit with lame haircut that wrote some music of debatable taste(it´s pointless to debate it) and had a veeeeery anoying girlfriend is hardly fair on the first 2...
    Last edited by Ronin; 07-17-2005 at 21:43.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    Are you serious or just putting a worm on the hook?
    You got me, Led Zep and Floyd were skilfully placed trolls...

also....comparing the assassinations of 2 of the greatest men of the 20th century with the assassination of a brit with lame haircut that wrote some music of debatable taste(it´s pointless to debate it) and had a veeeeery anoying girlfriend is hardly fair on the first 2...
    His hair is awesome, once he grew it out. And he is far contributed far more to the world than most politicians.
    But Oko sucks.

As far as I know, the best thing the Beatles did was introduce drugs into music. Keep weeding out the population of them...good work guys!
    A. LSD and pot helped music.
    B. Dylan introduced Beatles to pot

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    Beirut....for future reference....if you ever read a post of mine on these boards that can be reasonably interpreted as a joke....you can go ahead and make that assumption 99.9% of the time.....this one is no exception

I apologize if it was misinterpreted, but even as a joke, it was a very poor one.

As to my analogy, I will leave that to the individual to contemplate.

Back to the music!

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

help bring down the ussr?.....giving power to the youth?......silly me...i tough that political and economic pressure and higher education standards were responsible for those 2.....this is music here...it´s important...but let´s not make it more important than it is...
    Oh yeah

Beatles helped bring down communism in Russia'

The Beatles helped bring about the downfall of Soviet Communism, according to a documentary to be screened in the United States.

The two-hour film, entitled The Beatles Revolution, explores the phenomenon of the Fab Four, featuring interviews with President Bill Clinton, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards and Salman Rushdie.

Milos Forman, director of Academy Award winning One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest said: "It sounds ridiculous but I'm convinced The Beatles are partly responsible for the fall of Communism."

His claim is backed up by Dr Yury Pelyoshonok, a Canadian based Doctor of Soviet Studies, who grew up in the former USSR in the 1960s.

"The Beatles had this tremendous impact on Soviet kids. The Soviet authorities thought of The Beatles as a secret Cold War weapon," he said.

"The kids lost their interest in all Soviet unshakable dogmas and ideals, and stopped thinking of an English speaking person as the enemy.

"That's when the Communists lost two generations of young people ideologically, totally lost. That was an incredible impact."

Rolling Stone Keith Richards suggests that the music of the 1960s played a big part in bringing about the end of Communism.

"After those billions of dollars, what brought it down? Blue jeans and rock 'n' roll."

At this stage there are no plans to screen the ABC documentary in the UK.
    The Beatles are the Rosetta Stone upon which the entire language of contempory modern music is based and translated. To not understand and appreciate the Beatles, at least in passing, is to not understand music in the post-Elvis era. I pity and sometimes even distrust anyone that just doesn't understand what makes them so special.
    LINK
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Who cares if they helped bring down Communism or impacted music for years to come? They still suck.

Although they probably aren't the worst band ever.
    Last edited by discovery1; 07-18-2005 at 07:17.

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

That's true about the USSR and communism. My dad loved the Beatles and he was pretty ideological about communism as well. But he loved the beatles.

I don't see how their music sucked. Their tunes are pretty catchy and much better then most bands ever. I wouldn't say they are the best, but that's all subjective. Everyone likes different things.

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

back to the Sex Pistols....

I have to agree that they suck. They are so... annoying and angry. The songs have no... life. They helped to ruin good music.
    Well, the whole point of Punk was that it was angry. Maybe you have to be British but stuff like "God save the Queen" (she ain't no human being) is pure working class genius. No LIFE ???? Anarchy for the UK has no life? "I wanna destroy, kill the Queen..." Its nihilist but its bursting with life. Plus of course dying young is the classic rock career move.

Lets knock the whole "they can't play their instruments" thing on the head too. True enough the pistols in particular were musically challenged. But listen to the record and tell me if it matters? That was part of the whole thing, taking music back to the people (man). Even the ones who could only play 3 chords.

(BTW fellow UK 30 somethings, you do realise than when we are in our sixties the pensioners tea dances in Eastbourne will be playing "London calling" and "Eton Rifles" rather than Glen Miller, and we will be smashing up the place with our zimmerframes? of course by then I will have no hair so I suppose I'll have to go skinhead.

I pity our kids though, when their time comes they will be mumbling along to Eminem. One of the weirdest things I ever saw was him headlining at Reading. Normally, the Reading headliners are hardcore rock bands like the Red Hot Chilli peppers or Metalica, and the crowd is a wild and frankly dangerous frenzy of moshing and bellowing along. This time everyone stood still and mumbled along to the words. 100,000 people mumbling in a field. What a load of RUBBISH.)

Anyway, back on topic, here's another all time terrible band: Genesis. Why, for the love of pete?
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

I would rather listen to the sex pistols( anarchy in the UK is one of the best songs ever imo) than a band like Pink Floyd and springsteen doesn't suck.
    Last edited by The Blind King of Bohemia; 07-18-2005 at 13:46.

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

At this stage there are no plans to screen the ABC documentary in the UK.
    There's a relief. I might have inadvertantly watched it and thrown my shoe at the television in anger at the dribble on screen.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

As one of 'Punks' founding fathers...oh yes this is true... ...before the 'revolution' it was stadium bands and onanistic guitar solos that ffs were just ...well wank...

After ....

well Led Zep ..ohhh plz men with perms in tight pants...ROFLOL..get a friigin life

Floyd...ok i'll give you this...good on Psilocybin and acid...rubbish otherwise.

old wave sucked BIG time.

New wave threw the lazy buggers a curve...

and it was all done by the sub-urbanites.

Power to the people

@ Genesis...I have mixed feelings 'bout these tarts...after all Phil did a 'competant' job on Brian Enos albums....(Brian was smart enuff to not let Phil sing tho...stay on the bongos baldie )
    Last edited by InsaneApache; 07-18-2005 at 14:37.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Genesis. Why, for the love of pete?
    Genesis with Peter Gabriel were awesome. After he left, they became bad.

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is a great album.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Post Re: Worst bands of all times...

Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Left and right meet, on the subject of "nu metal"...

Linkin Park especially seem to be an affront to humanity.
    Linkin Park are the worst, since they combine "nu metal" with "boy band".
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

I can't stand punks. I hate how they play, they are too angry, they have bad hair, they dress bad, and their songs are short. I haven't ever heard them jam or play any acoustic songs. I can't respect a band like that.

well Led Zep ..ohhh plz men with perms in tight pants...ROFLOL..get a friigin life
    Better than freaks with mohawks and ugly hair!

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

50 Cent and the G-Unit. GOD! Make it stop!

Hmm, what else? I can't say Nirvana, 'cause I do like some songs quite well, even though I despise all that 'I want to commit suicide' stuff. Wait, I have an idea. Everything New Wave. God that shit sucks!

~Wiz
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

You've just made yourself a completely powerless enemy today. I say good day to you sir! Good Day!!

There are many bad bands, but I'll only mention one known internationally.

The Beatles. The humpty-dumpty guitar and slack drums irritate me all too much to enjoy the vocals, which aren't good but better than the rest. The music feels limp, for lack of a better word. Might as well call them "Beat-less".
    If you're fighting fair you've made a miscalculation.

Have you ever heard "While My Guitar Gentley Weeps"? Or "Yer Blues"? Or any of their later stuff?

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Quote Originally Posted by Krauser
    Have to agree. Rap is not music. It does have some rhythm and sometimes there is a tune but over all its not music.
    Rap -- not music? Then I can immediately discount all forms of electric music -- this includes synthesizers and of course that shit called dance/trance/hardcore whatever -- all forms of rock from the categories Nirvana/stoner rock to (modern) (heavy) metal, and anything all too poppy.

Rap is essentially poetry over a continuous beat (with peripheral sounds often added, such as a sample), which accounts for the not all too complicated lyrics at times. But it certainly takes skill. And since I expect you will not discount all of the above as being music, then hip hop cannot be discounted as being music either.

And Kenny -- come on! Funk/disco is great! Well, not as great as soul, but great nevertheless!

~Wiz
    Last edited by The Wizard; 07-19-2005 at 19:22.

Well I like some funk. And the Bee Gees are interesting, but I can't say that I listen to it.
    However, some great songs were inspired by disco, such as the Rollings Stone's Miss You, the Kinks Superman, and the Dead's Shakedown Street.

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Rap takes very little skill, thats why its so competitive to get deals with record companies because anyone can throw together a rap on their computer.

I could write a couple of stanzas about bitches and guns that rhyme and slap them to a beat. I could not learn how to play the guitar in that time, or even 10 times that time.

I'm not talking idiots like 50 Cent -- who's raps suck, but he has Dr. Dre who makes damn hot beats and catchy hooks. The guy that comes closest to real skill amongst popular MCs is either Eminem or The Game -- and both are still far off.

I'm talking Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Slick Rick, Kool G Rap, OutKast, Goodie Mob, Mos Def, Nas and many other MCs who actually have skills. You try to freestyle -- it's not easy trying to weld thoughts into rhymes. And rhymes that you write for real are of even greater quality because you have all the time of the world to think of good, catchy and (perhaps) funny metaphors and rhyme schemes.

Most people think of rap as simply saying your lyrics in a rhyme scheme; but that's just a wrong view. You have to fit everything into something following the bass (your flow) -- and that isn't any walk in the park.

~Wiz
    Last edited by The Wizard; 07-19-2005 at 20:18.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast