Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canada, Denmark at odds over Arctic island

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Default Canada, Denmark at odds over Arctic island

CNN - link

Canada, Denmark at odds over Arctic island

Monday, July 25, 2005 Posted: 1236 GMT (2036 HKT)

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) -- Denmark said Monday that it will send a letter of protest to Canada over a government minister's visit to a wind-swept Arctic island off northwestern Greenland that is claimed by both countries.

Canadian Defense Minister Bill Graham set foot on the 1.3-square-kilometer (1/2-square-mile) Hans Island on Friday, saying his country has always regarded it as Canadian territory.

Denmark also claims the island, roughly 1,100 kilometers (682 miles) south of the North Pole.

"We will hand over a note to Canada in which we will express our viewpoint," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Peter Taksoe-Jensen. "Hans Island is our island."

Officials at the Canadian Embassy in Copenhagen declined to comment.

In 1973, Canada and Denmark drew a border down the inhospitable Nares Strait halfway between Greenland, a semiautonomous Danish territory, and Canada's Ellesmere Island.

But the countries decided that sovereignty over Hans Island and others in the Arctic region would be determined later.

Denmark and Canada maintain good relations despite occasional spats over the island, which can be reached only by boat during mild summers when the ice around it melts.

In 1984, Tom Hoeyem, who was Denmark's minister for Greenland affairs, caused a stir when he raised a Danish flag on the island, buried a bottle of brandy at the base of the flag pole and left a note saying "Welcome to the Danish island."

Danish navy ships visited in the island in 2002 and 2003.

Canadian soldiers came to Hans Island before Graham's visit and raised a Canadian flag.
    So war it is then?

PS. Is it ok with the publisher of the article if I reposted in quotations the article here?

I don't know. I am hoping Ser Clegane can tell me.

Default Re: Canada, Denmark at odds over Arctic island

It's time for Canada to mobilize!

And let's not forget the Canadian Rangers either. Denmark has insulted our honour for the last time!

Where is this place anyway?
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stewart Mills

But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
    LORD ACTON

Cat Fight!!

The Orgs Prophet of RATM Member IrishMike's Avatar
    Somewhere in the defensive area of a soccer field, slaughtering puny strikers.

Is a 1/2-square-mile island really that important that people would actually spend the energy getting angry about it? I mean what in gods name could actually be on this thing that people would even wanna claim. Seems like they would wanna get rid of the little thing.
    Last edited by IrishMike; 07-27-2005 at 06:07.
    When ignorance reigns life is lost.

War is norm, Fight the War, Screw the norm!

Quote Originally Posted by ColdKnight
    Is a 1/2-square-mile island really that important that people would actually spend the energy getting angry about it?
    It's our 1/2-square-mile island and if it's not important they can just hand it over and stop burying brandy on it!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stewart Mills

But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
    LORD ACTON

Well, considering their size as a country and our size as a military force, it's a kitten fight. Cute, but not so entertaining.

And to answer your question ColdKnight, yes IT IS IMPORTANT. If we allow other countries to take our territory then that's a breach on our sovereignty, and a sign of weakness.

BTW, this place is inbetween Ellesmere Island and Greenland.

The Orgs Prophet of RATM Member IrishMike's Avatar
    Somewhere in the defensive area of a soccer field, slaughtering puny strikers.

Oh, So its kinda like a naval port thing type important? Also about the image part, I really don't think anyone would view either country as weak over loosing this island. Now if canada lost newfoundland, or denmark lost greenland, that might be different. But who knows, their are some strange people out there.
    When ignorance reigns life is lost.

War is norm, Fight the War, Screw the norm!

I say the two countries selected their greatest warriors and have them fight to the death to see who controls it.

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

And to answer your question ColdKnight, yes IT IS IMPORTANT. If we allow other countries to take our territory then that's a breach on our sovereignty, and a sign of weakness.
    Youre Canada for Christ sakes! Its not like you've got a reputation to uphold..

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

How about a compromise. One side gets the island, the other gets some beer.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    Youre Canada for Christ sakes! Its not like you've got a reputation to uphold..
    Canada's recent history may be pathetic but we do (or rather our fathers do) have a reputation to uphold.

However this tiny little island is not my idea of a Casus Belli, unless the Danes attempt to take it by force (they never would). More likely we will refer it to an international court to decide.
    -- John Stewart Mills

LORD ACTON

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

If our brothers ask, we will join the hærtokt, fight skrælingene and reclaim our Vinland.
    Status Emeritus

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: Canada, Denmark at odds over Arctic island

gentleman....let´s get ready to ruuuuuuuuuummble!!!

this reminds me of the one between spain and morocco last year about that tiny island in the gibraltar straight......it´s a tiny piece of rock....who cares?
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Slapshooter Senior Member el_slapper's Avatar

Default Re : Re: Canada, Denmark at odds over Arctic island

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin

this reminds me of the one between spain and morocco last year about that tiny island in the gibraltar straight......it´s a tiny piece of rock....who cares?
    Diplomats care because it's an opportunity for them to show their usefulness. Let's sit & enjoy the show
    War is not about who is right, only about who is left

Having a point of view upon everything is good
    Having a view upon every point is better

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

Britain would naturally have to be on Canada's side in this as a fellow Commonwealth nation and for all the assistance Canada has given to Britian in past wars.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Hmm...what kind of life force lives on the island, anyway? Are there even humans there? Or just some seals, or even mosses...or...just blocks of lifeless ice?

[I was planning to rally the support of Greenpeace to the country that gives the better offer on protecting life (or, if there is none, ice) with the best environmental law codes they can write]

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Fafnesbane
    If our brothers ask, we will join the hærtokt, fight skrælingene and reclaim our Vinland.

I'm sure that Denmark will twist this one for our better, a snatch that little island away from the big ugly doggy. The kitten shail prevail - and Im pleased that you would join our hærtogt my viking brother
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Seems Canada cant take a hint

We Danes are of course just protecting Greenland's natural rights for the island while Canada's evil government tries to use the island to cover up for their domestic problems

CBR

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Of course the Canadians want the island. The Danes have been burying brandy on it!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Woohoo, WW3 over a little, ice-locked, rocky island. Which will vanish under-water when all the nukes melt the polar ice caps anyway. Got to love politicians.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Although I probably have a stronger sense of pride (in a very loose sense) for the Anglosphere than for America alone, I say we flip the script on this one and back Denmark.

Fight! Fight! Fight! *flicks the room's light switch while chanting*

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Is it ok with the publisher of the article if I reposted in quotations the article here?

I don't know. I am hoping Ser Clegane can tell me. -BP

Here's the deal: there is this claiment at the bottom of the article:
    Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Under 'fair use' policy, you may quote the material IF you also give attribution, for example, start your post with:

"This is an AP article I found at CNN.com (link)"
    quote: blah, blah, blah, blah enquote.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin

It reminds me of Gibralter itself.....its a british colony, british people live there and it recognzed QEII as the head of state, but its Spanish of course
    joking
    Last edited by Ianofsmeg16; 07-27-2005 at 16:47.
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

ever been to Gibraltar?
    It's a dump.
    If it weren't for its strategic position (and the British citizens there who want it to remain British) I'd demand that it were returned to Spain.

Oh yeah, Go Denmark!

Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

i always thought it looked quite nice....like an english village with a spanish climate
    When I was a child
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.

I remember a lot of concrete nastiness.
    It's the joys of cramming 30,000 people, a military base and a town onto a small bit of land.

It's not like any English village I've been to.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiochusIII
    Hmm...what kind of life force lives on the island, anyway? Are there even humans there? Or just some seals, or even mosses...or...just blocks of lifeless ice?
    Well even worse. It's not only small, lifeless, cold, strategically useless, brandyless , but also if someone would be living there, it would be considered the second most northern esttelment on the planet. The first being the post of Alert on Ellesmere island.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR
    Seems Canada cant take a hint

We Danes are of course just protecting Greenland's natural rights for the island while Canada's evil government tries to use the island to cover up for their domestic problems
    Canada's Liberal government is evil now? We saved your behinds in WWII.

I remember a lot of concrete nastiness.
    RAF Brize Norton, and the surorunding town of Carterton, everything except the 30,00 people
    When I was a child
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.

good one

Lets invade Denmark !

Canadian Forces troops raise the Maple Leaf on Hans Island on July 13, 2005. (CP Photo/DND/Cpl David McCord)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast