Thread: Sandy Burglar Violates Probation

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Default Sandy Burglar Violates Probation

Former Clinton Aide Violated Probation
    Berger Ticketed for Reckless Driving

By Dan Eggen
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, October 6, 2005; Page A14

Two days after he was sentenced for smuggling classified documents from the National Archives, former national security adviser Samuel R. "Sandy" Berger violated his probation when he was ticketed for reckless driving in Fairfax County, according to court officials and records.

I bet he gets away with this also.

Magistrate Judge Deborah A. Robinson admonished Berger yesterday for the traffic charge during a brief hearing in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia but left him on probation as recommended by the federal probation office, according to court records.

Berger was clocked going 88 mph in a 55-mph zone while driving eastbound on Interstate 66 in Fairfax on Sept. 10, according to court records. Berger told court officers that "he was speeding because he was late to a meeting, and he was not aware of how fast he was traveling," according to a probation violation report filed in federal court.

The former Clinton administration official is scheduled to appear in Fairfax traffic court on Oct. 18. Berger's attorney, Lanny A. Breuer, could not be reached to comment.

The charge comes as some judges in Fairfax have begun cracking down on excessive speeding and other reckless driving violations, sentencing violators to jail time in some cases, defense lawyers said.

Reckless driving is a Class 1 misdemeanor in Virginia; it carries a penalty of up to 12 months in jail and a $2,500 fine, although those limits are rarely approached, experts said. At the very least, Berger is likely to be fined and to have his driver's license suspended for several months if he is found guilty, according to traffic lawyers not connected to Berger's case.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: Sandy Burglar Violates Probation

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    At the very least, Berger is likely to be fined and to have his driver's license suspended for several months if he is found guilty, according to traffic lawyers not connected to Berger's case.
    Wow, just like his security clearance.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

LOL, it's a friggin speeding ticket on an interstate, get a grip. 88 is pretty high, but it is still a speeding ticket. sheesh
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Sand-man is clearly a career criminal. Fortunately this will be his 2nd strike, and the 3rd one yields a death penalty. Keep on truckin' Sandy!

Seamus
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

He is an idiot. Even though it's an interstate highway, I-66 is very congested in Fairfax County, and there are at least 3 spots that I know of that always have police waiting for speeders. I tend to drive fast, but I won't go higher than 75mph on that road, and the traffic flow (when not bumper to bumper gridlock) is usually around 60-70mph. Sept 10th was a Saturday, traffic is usually worse on weekends due to the weekend-driver stupidity factor. Driving 88mph is just asking for trouble.

IIRC, in Virginia reckless driving is +20mph over the stated speed limit, or over 80mph at any time.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur