Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Freeware and Open Source Software Thread

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Default Re: The Freeware and Open Source Software Thread

Wing Commander Saga.
    Homepage
    Open Source: Yes
    Description: Remember those Wing Commander games from years ago? This is a modern take on the classic, based off the Freespace 2 engine. Featuring the prologue campaign, excellent voice acting, and the Wing Commander gameplay updated for the 21st century this is a must for any fans of spaceflight games. It's even got good FMV!
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Notepad++
    Homepage: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
    Open Source: No
    Description: a good fast-working replacement for Notepad, also capable of highlighting source code for many programming languages. It has some nice features shown on the website.

Windows Defender
    Homepage: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
    Open Source: No
    Description: a free spyware protection tool.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

http://www.xxclone.com/

No experience yet, but seems quite interesting. Freeware version for personal use available.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

I need to do some disk cloning next month so I'll be testing that, thanks. @Bijo: Notepad++ is a very good program, ideal for editing text files used when modding TW games (especially the unit and build prod files used in MTW).

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This thread is for stuff you can legally download for free, yeah?

Ground Control.
    Great Strategy Game, now free off fileplanet (not the D2D thing either, to normal, unpaying members)
    Would provide link and stuff but fileplanet is down for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Charge Men............Retreat! Member The Foolish Horseman's Avatar

Incredimail Standard (notgold as that is $29.99)

Description: put some fun back into emails with fun emotions, backgrounds and tunes for the background
    http://www.incredimail.com/english/index.asp

This Program Is officially certified with the GBB stamp of approval

This is an amazing email client, so fun and easy to use...easy to set up too and with fun little email notifiers and too many things to write

It also has the added option of downloading new free content (not the gold things though) such as songs and backgrounds

Enjoy

IN Total War I Trust!!

The Foolish Horseman, previously known as GBB

Aevum Obscurum
    Homepage: www.aevumobscurum.com/original or for the forums: http://www.squadra.ch/phpBB2/index.php
    Open Source: Yes and no. Not every code is available, but for the sake of better development some codes are released
    Description: It's a Mulitplayer Turn-Based Strategy Game. You can compare it to Risk or Europa Universalis (tho it's more difficult then risk and less difficult then EU). The new version has been running for a year now, but it's based on an old boardgame. It used to be 100% free, now you just can't make your own clan and you can't play SP campaigns if you don't pay, but that's not needed anyway, it's about the MP. Next to that you can get a free upgrade to full membership simply by "advertising the game" (that's having a sig with your stats, like I do).
    Last edited by Stig; 03-03-2007 at 10:50.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Pegasus Mail
    Homepage Wiki
    Email program with powerful filter and other features. Won't be developed any more since it's taking up too much of the developer's time, so get it while you can. Re-reading the wiki, it seems Pegasus will still be freeware for single users, but people using it for several accounts will have to pay for a licence.

Mailwasher
    Homepage Wiki
    Email is initially sent to your email server, where it stays until you download it to your computer. AFAIK, MS email software doesn't have any way of checking your email without actually downloading it from the server. Mailwasher gets around that, by downloading the headers of the emails on your email server, before you decide whether to download them or delete them. This can save both bandwidth and provide security by letting you delete suspicious emails before they get to your computer. NB. Pegasus Mail has these functionalities built in.

XNews
    Homepage Wiki
    Newsreader, of the Usenet variety. If you read newsgroups, this is the reader for you. Completely free, as the creator developed it for his own use and provided it for anyone else who's interested.

Buzzys.net
    Homepage
    Not a program, but a site reviewing and recommending freeware programs. Add it to your bookmarks now.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Well, my 2 cents to this
    Ad-aware
    A proficient anti-spyware application. Note that Ad-Aware does not have the immunizing functions of SpywareBlaster or Spybot. But we love it anyway.

It comes with Ad-Watch, a program who catches many changes in the registry and let you know whats going on.Also you can download add-ons, some useful and some not.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caius Flaminius
    Well, my 2 cents to this
    Ad-aware
    A proficient anti-spyware application. Note that Ad-Aware does not have the immunizing functions of SpywareBlaster or Spybot. But we love it anyway.

It comes with Ad-Watch, a program who catches many changes in the registry and let you know whats going on.Also you can download add-ons, some useful and some not.
    Ad-Aware is already on the list, Caius

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I know, Dutchie :)

Just adding something missing in the description

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

The Ultimate Grand Inquisitor! Member UltraWar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    Aevum Obscurum
    Homepage: www.aevumobscurum.com/original or for the forums: http://www.squadra.ch/phpBB2/index.php
    Open Source: Yes and no. Not every code is available, but for the sake of better development some codes are released
    Description: It's a Mulitplayer Turn-Based Strategy Game. You can compare it to Risk or Europa Universalis (tho it's more difficult then risk and less difficult then EU). The new version has been running for a year now, but it's based on an old boardgame. It used to be 100% free, now you just can't make your own clan and you can't play SP campaigns if you don't pay, but that's not needed anyway, it's about the MP. Next to that you can get a free upgrade to full membership simply by "advertising the game" (that's having a sig with your stats, like I do).
    Looks like a great game which I've joined

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caius Flaminius
    I know, Dutchie :)

Just adding something missing in the description
    Ugh, my bad.

I completely missed that.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    Ugh, my bad.

I completely missed that.

Its ok.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

Quote Originally Posted by UltraWar
    Looks like a great game which I've joined
    It's played by a couple of Orgahs. I know Lucjan (from the minigame Rise of Civilizations) now plays it. Kraxis and I used to play it in the same clan.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Here's a simple, fun, free FPS game. It also has some really nice graphics for being open sourced.

Alien Arena
    Homepage
    Open Source:Yes!
    Description:From the game's website:
    Do you like fast paced deathmatch? How about rich, colorful, arcadelike atmospheres? How about...retro Sci Fi? Then you're going to love what Alien Arena 2007 has in store for you! This game combines some of the very best aspects of such games as Quake III and Unreal Tournament and wraps them up with a retro alien theme, while adding tons of original ideas to make the game quite unique.
    Single player just involves you and bots in various deathmatches. But the game also supports online multiplay which adds deathball, CTF, and other team matches in addition to the deathmatch free-for-alls. Good, mindless fun.

If anyone has the interest/ability to run a server, this could be a fun one for orgahs.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

http://www.blackviper.com/index.html

Helps to configure your XP install.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

bblean
    http://bb4win.sourceforge.net/bblean/
    Open source: afaik
    Description: Shell replacement. Lightweight and very customisable. Been using it for a few months and love it
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen
    This thread is for stuff you can legally download for free, yeah?

Ground Control.
    Great Strategy Game, now free off fileplanet (not the D2D thing either, to normal, unpaying members)
    Would provide link and stuff but fileplanet is down for me.

Thanks a million for that! GC was one of my all time favourites, but I lost my CD years ago, so Im really happy to be able to play it again! :)
    Eppur si muove

Speedfan http://www.majorgeeks.com/download337.html

This is a freeware tool that allows to monitor several temperatures, but more importantly to reduce the speed of CPU, PSU and case fans. My standard CPU fan was running at ~2600 RPM and made a lot of noise. Reduced it to 75%-1800RPM (make sure that the temperature is still in the safe zone). It's running at the same idle temperature and makes much less noise, will run Prime95 to test load.

Edit: 50-52% load, temperature is fine, fanspeed increased to 2140 (temperature controlled).
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Thank you Tosa. Much appreciated for that link.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Speedfan http://www.majorgeeks.com/download337.html

This is a freeware tool that allows to monitor several temperatures, but more importantly to reduce the speed of CPU, PSU and case fans. My standard CPU fan was running at ~2600 RPM and made a lot of noise. Reduced it to 75%-1800RPM (make sure that the temperature is still in the safe zone). It's running at the same idle temperature and makes much less noise, will run Prime95 to test load.

Edit: 50-52% load, temperature is fine, fanspeed increased to 2140 (temperature controlled).
    I've been using SpeedFan forever. Not to alter fan speeds, but just to monitor system temps and hard drive SMART info. It's a great, multipurpose utility.

Here's a link to the actual program's website: Speedfan

I don't know if it's open source or not... probably not- but definitely free!
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Default AW: Re: The Freeware and Open Source Software Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cambyses II
    I need to do some disk cloning next month so I'll be testing that, thanks. @Bijo: Notepad++ is a very good program, ideal for editing text files used when modding TW games (especially the unit and build prod files used in MTW).
    A very good one indeed :) Though it has many good features, it lacks one that's very simple and needed: a button to disable/enable global syntax highlighting. I like most of the features, except the forced highlighting. Is there a quick and easy way to do this with Notepad++ ?
    If the standard Notepad only had tabbed browsing, I'd be happy already.

---

No.

---

Default AW: The Freeware and Open Source Software Thread

CutePDF
    Homepage: http://www.cutepdf.com/
    OpenSource: No
    Description: Create professional quality PDF files from almost any printable document. FREE for personal and commercial use! No watermarks! No popup Web advertisements! Now supports 64-bit Windows.

Btw, regarding my last post, I have a request. If you know of any Notepad-ish editor WITH tabbed file browsing and no other features, please let me know. I remember I used to use one that was perfect, but I forgot which one it was.

---

No.

---

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: AW: The Freeware and Open Source Software Thread

AVG Anti-Rootkit
    Homepage: http://www.grisoft.com/doc/download-...otkit/us/crp/0
    OpenSource: No
    Description: AVG Anti-Rootkit is a powerful tool with state-of-the-art technology for detection and removal of rootkits. Rootkits are used to hide the presence of a malicious object like trojans or keyloggers on your computer. If a threat uses rootkit technology to hide itself it is very hard to find the malware on your PC. AVG Anti-Rootkit gives you the power to find and delete the rootkit and to uncover the threat the rootkit is hiding.

Default Re: AW: The Freeware and Open Source Software Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo
    Btw, regarding my last post, I have a request. If you know of any Notepad-ish editor WITH tabbed file browsing and no other features, please let me know. I remember I used to use one that was perfect, but I forgot which one it was.
    Heres
    one I've been using with school that sounds the same.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

What's the best MP3-to-WAV file convertor I can get?

Thanks.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    What's the best MP3-to-WAV file convertor I can get?

Thanks.
    There's cdex from the front page. Another application that might be useful is mp3gain, which normalises volume on your mp3s.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Thanks.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Daimyo, Sultan & True Roman Member Crian's Avatar

(The website you gave the link of has some pieces which are not actually "abandoned" by its producers. Abandonware refers to titles on those the producers do not claim a commercial and legal ownership anymore -therefore being free to share. Sorry, I had to cut the link out. - LEN)
    Last edited by LeftEyeNine; 05-13-2007 at 13:49.

"Why did we attack the Iceni? Why did we destroy that cargo? I can live with being a pawn if the game makes sense!" - Wingman, Mission 3: The Romans Blunder, Freespace 2

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast