Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New unit - Mamluks

His higness, the Sultan Member Randarkmaan's Avatar

Default Re: New unit - Mamluks

I think there should be three Mamluk units(all of them cavalry); Lancers/Heavy Cavalry with(you guessed it) lances and heavy armour, Horse archers with bows, swords and light armour, and bodyguards with impressive stats, discipline morale, very heavy armour and lances or maybe axes.

And one thing, someone said earlier that steppe- and Arab horses were smaller than western horses. For steppe horses this was true as they tended to resemble ponies, but the Arab horses this is not entirely true. They were similar in size to most western horses and larger than some as well, they were not as heavy though, but they were very strong and supposedly this breed of horse was smarter as well.
    I'm not entirely sure about this but I think there is a hint of truth to what I just said.
    Last edited by Randarkmaan; 07-17-2006 at 18:37.
    "One of the nice things about looking at a bear is that you know it spends 100 per cent of every minute of every day being a bear. It doesn't strive to become a better bear. It doesn't go to sleep thinking, "I wasn't really a very good bear today". They are just 100 per cent bear, whereas human beings feel we're not 100 per cent human, that we're always letting ourselves down. We're constantly striving towards something, to some fulfilment"
    -Stephen Fry

Quote Originally Posted by Randarkmaan
    I think there should be three Mamluk units(all of them cavalry); Lancers/Heavy Cavalry with(you guessed it) lances and heavy armour, Horse archers with bows, swords and light armour, and bodyguards with impressive stats, discipline morale, very heavy armour and lances or maybe axes.

And one thing, someone said earlier that steppe- and Arab horses were smaller than western horses. For steppe horses this was true as they tended to resemble ponies, but the Arab horses this is not entirely true. They were similar in size to most western horses and larger than some as well, they were not as heavy though, but they were very strong and supposedly this breed of horse was smarter as well.
    I'm not entirely sure about this but I think there is a hint of truth to what I just said.
    Arab horses were smaller than their western counterparts, but not by a big margin. They were considerably larger than steppe ponies, but still smaller than western horses. They are very strong and very, very smart and intelligent. Ive witnessed this with my own eyes. A horse would refuse to go if a "stranger" was riding him. It only accepts its rider. Not all of them are like that though. They are also the fastest, swiftist and most agile horses in the world too.

As to your idea of mamluks, i totally agree. We should see a shock unit, armed with a lance and heavy armour, a missile cav unit, armed with a bow and a sword, lightly armoured, and elite royal bodyguards, armed with an axe or mace, and heavily armoured.

Quote Originally Posted by Randarkmaan
    And one thing, someone said earlier that steppe- and Arab horses were smaller than western horses. For steppe horses this was true as they tended to resemble ponies, but the Arab horses this is not entirely true.
    This is not quite true of steppe horses either. The Akhal-Teke, an ancient breed found east of the Caspian, north Iran and surrounding area stand in excess of 15 hands. They are/were renowned for their stamina and surprising hardiness even though their rear conformation is weak ( cow hocks )

......Orda

Arabian horses traditionally (pure breed) are between 14 and 15 hands tall.

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

Re: Mamaluks in MTW 1

Mamaluk cavalry carried an axe and had a anti-armor bonus. As mentioned, they were great for chopping up knights who where alread pinned down by a spear unit. They weren't so good for chopping down anything else.

There was also mamaluke horse archers, who were excellent. The trouble was that the game was practically over before you could get any.

All this talk makes me want to play MTW 1 again. I have the crash problem common to Nvidia users. A simple fix is supposed to be to change the antialiasing number from 0 to 2, or something like that.

How do you do that? I looked on the Nvidia control panel, but couldn't find the setting.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn Munqidh
    Arabian horses traditionally (pure breed) are between 14 and 15 hands tall.
    This is correct. At something like 15.2 HH, the Akhal-Teke is a bigger animal and one that was used on the steppe for ages. The idea that steppe nomads rode animals that were not much taller than a large dog is a misconception

........Orda

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12