Thread: never thought it could happen to me...help please !!!

Default never thought it could happen to me...help please !!!

ok so i've been playing mtw for like 2 years now on an old rusty computer.and i was loving it . last week however i bought a new one much much better than the old guy. i finally said to myself - great now i can play mtw like any normal human being does, but i had a very unpleasant surprise: whenever i load the campaign map the game instantly crashes to my desktop. the strange thing is that i can play battles or anything else that doesn't include the europa map - but that isn't very satisfying trust me
    so i've come to ask for your help. what must i do to fix this damn thing ? any idea would be appreciated. thanks
    by the way i have a sempron 2800+, 512 ram, geforce 5200 256mb ... it's more than enough 2 play this game, so maybe it's a video thing or...i don't know....please help me guys

Default Re: never thought it could happen to me...help please !!!

The CTD may be related to your Nvidia drivers. You may have to downgrade them to an older version. Try messing with some of the display settings first though and see if that makes a difference. Take a note of the original settings so that you can restore those exact settings if it all goes awry.

There are alot of threads about CTDs in existence, try searching the forums.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

This does sound like the nVidia CTD issue. You might be able to get around this by changing the anti-aliasing settings on your video card.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=64977
    Look at posts #7 and/or 11, setting anti-aliasing to 2 seems to help a lot of people.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

As you have the 5200 card, you probably won't need any drivers released in the last 2 years. My 5900XT doesn't run any better with the later drivers, and I've actually gone way back to my old reliable 61.76 drivers (or something like that). I think they're about the most recent Nvidia drivers that seem to work with MTW. Anything above them I've noticed crashes and weird glitches. Forcing anti-aliasing helps somewhat, but has a slight hit on game performance and I still get the occasional crash.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

You can D/L the v61.77 ones for WinXP here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.77.html
    Try them out and see if they don't improve your situation.
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

You must make sure the screenresolution in the game is the same as ur screenresulotionsetting outside the game.

You probably have done this allready but I post it in case you havent since failure to do this will crash the game when trying to load the campaignmap (at least for me).

Good luck

Kalle
    Playing computer strategy games of course, history, got a masters degree, outdoor living and nature, reading, movies wining and dining and much much more.

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Why should that affect anything? I know if you're playing Windowed mode the desktop must run at the same colour depth as the game (which I think is 16-bit for MTW) but I've not heard anything about running the game at the same resolution as the desktop, especially when in full screen mode. But I suppose if it works for you, then it's worth a shot.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

I got no clue to WHY it help me, I only know that it DOES help me and I figured Id let him now since maybe it can help him to.

Kalle
    Playing computer strategy games of course, history, got a masters degree, outdoor living and nature, reading, movies wining and dining and much much more.