Page 118 of 167 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,540 of 5004

Thread: LEN Teh Footy God's Footballodium

Grand Master Member Afonso I of Portugal's Avatar
    Lisboa, Portugal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Afonso_I_of_Portugal

Default Re: LEN Teh Footy God's Footballodium

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Bah, many great players missed the world cup because their team didn't qualify. In fact, there hasn't been a world cup where it didn't happen, that's what WC is all about - who is the best, not who is the most popular.

We won't see some star players but some new stars would emerge. Pathetic. Teams like Argentina, France, Portugal... were already first seeded, they already had it easier in the groups. Those other teams had more difficult road cross and now they're penalized again???

I know that's how it works but I don't like it one bit... Big teams already have everything going for them, and even when they do poorly, there's FIFA to provide a needed "boost" for that one final step.
    That's right, glad you agree with me, Messi and Ronaldo are the best...and also the most popular!

Seeded/unseeded teams and fifa ranking sistem is for a long debate. For minor teams it's probably unfair but for fifa/tournament organizations it's the best way to have the best teams (and players) in the tournament...

In fact, i would prefer to turn my tv to see a friendly between Portugal vs Argentina rather than a world cup match between Andorra vs Burkina Faso...if they manage to qualify...

The fact is, fans wants to see the big teams playing...and Fifa know it quite well...

Regarding Portugal, our boost wasn't Fifa rankings but Denmark who beat Sweden saturday night. Without that result we were history...but in order to move to the playoffs we must beat Malta first!
    Last edited by Afonso I of Portugal; 10-12-2009 at 21:13.
    "Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Workers of the world, Unite!" - Manifesto of the Communist Party, Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels, 1848.
    "What does not kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche.
    "Lord, protect me from people who love and trust, because I take care of my enemies" - Voltaire.
    "I can not agree with any of the words you say but defend to the death your right to say them" - Voltaire.
    "The main illnesses that attack the man comes from ignorance" - Voltaire.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by Afonso I of Portugal View Post
    That's right, glad you agree with me, Messi and Ronaldo are the best...and also the most popular!

Seeded/unseeded teams and fifa ranking sistem is for a long debate. For minor teams it's probably unfair but for fifa/tournament organizations it's the best way to have the best teams (and players) in the tournament...

In fact, i would prefer to turn my tv to see a friendly between Portugal vs Argentina rather than a world cup match between Andorra vs Burkina Faso...if they manage to qualify...

The fact is, fans wants to see the big teams playing...and Fifa know it quite well...

Regarding Portugal, our boost wasn't Fifa rankings but Denmark who beat Sweden saturday night. Without that result we were history...but in order to move to the playoffs we must beat Malta first!we're already in the play-offs so we don't care! :D
    There, fixed.
    BLARGH!

And Slovakia qualify [in blizzard conditions] thanks to an early own-goal from Poland.

it's the **** that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come

Yeah!

Portugal 4 - Malta 0! and we move to the playoffs...

Sweden is out of the WC
    Last edited by Afonso I of Portugal; 10-14-2009 at 21:51.
    "Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Workers of the world, Unite!" - Manifesto of the Communist Party, Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels, 1848.
    "Lord, protect me from people who love and trust, because I take care of my enemies" - Voltaire.
    "I can not agree with any of the words you say but defend to the death your right to say them" - Voltaire.

Today seemed strangely deflating, in a football sense. Up to a point, [Yurop] I can't really say the matches went in a way that caused me any great hurt as it were, as much of the real damage was already done. Then however, we look to South America, and we see that hideous little blob stalking nervously along a touchline, surely now made to look astute by those who take a couple of meaningless, flailing tactical gestures to heart. [Palermo, and the boy who scored tonight.]

Yes, you could say "but rdeče, he will fail miserably in Seth Efrica, and you'll be able to enjoy it even more." and perhaps you'd be right, aye. But the little fat man should not be there. No.

Trivial aside; I assess European qualifying [focusing on those teams I have interest in] as follows, in an unstructured and altogether bollocky manner:

• Scotland were ****, no redeeming points. We should have had a play-off place, but everything that could go wrong undeniably did, to Chris Iwelumo-an proportions. Can't even bring myself to hate the Dutch in retaliation. [Well, maybe Dirk Kuyt.] But other than that, just ****.
    • England are ****, yet once again in a group where they can mosey on through - cue ridiculous levels of hype and the same stunningly insular / arrogant punditry.
    • Toikey are- yes, the pattern is apparent. Disappointed because they were a great source of entertainment at Euro 2008.
    • France can still qualify for tournaments despite being relatively poor since Euro 2000 [and in terminal decline since 2006] and somehow even with Astroboy still in place.
    • Bosnia are really quite good, but because of this flawed system we see teams as poor as Switzerland [a home loss to Luxembourg? You know it's absurd that they've managed to get through.] somehow grabbing automatic qualification whilst the Bosnians are left to contend with FIFA's late decision to move play-off goal posts as and when it suits for the sake of the sponsors and maintaining the convivial ambiance at their cuddly canapé-heavy get-togethers.
    • Oireland can also show themselves to be a reasonably good team when organised well, but will fail for the above reason.
    • Slovenia, well, almost did the unthinkable thanks in part to the complete collapse of both Poland and the Czechs as footballing powers of any description. I am torn. Part of me wanted them to qualify today, and yet I won't be too displeased when they're eviscerated in the play-offs.

Additional Euro-centric observations? Germany and Italy, still the forces of darkness. Must be stopped.

Serbia look tasty again, but they have done before, and we know where they've ended up.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

The US sends Costa Rica (2-2) to the playoffs against Uruguay, and wins CONCACAF outright. Yeah for us! Awaiting the usual finals grouping with Brazil, Italy, and Iran (mandatory FIFA rules state the US must have 2 powerhouses and a country in we're in conflict with).
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    The US sends Costa Rica (2-2) to the playoffs against Uruguay, and wins CONCACAF outright. Yeah for us! Awaiting the usual finals grouping with Brazil, Italy, and Iran (mandatory FIFA rules state the US must have 2 powerhouses and a country in we're in conflict with).
    Iran isn't in.

You'll get. Brazil, Spain, and North Korea. Enjoy.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Awaiting the usual finals grouping with Brazil, Italy, and Iran (mandatory FIFA rules state the US must have 2 powerhouses and a country in we're in conflict with).
    *obligatory drumroll and gasp as door slides back and your blind date is revealed*

That's right, after all these years, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea is waiting especially for you all!

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SSNeoperestroika View Post
    *obligatory drumroll and gasp as door slides back and your blind date is revealed*

That's right, after all these years, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea is waiting especially for you all!
    Even better!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Ah, Louis. It seems Fate entwines us again.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

European Play-offs:

Rep of Ireland v France

Portugal v Bosnia-Herzgovina

Greece v Ukraine

Russia v Slovenia

Interesting clashes i must say...
    Last edited by Afonso I of Portugal; 10-19-2009 at 13:55.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost View Post
    Ah, Louis. It seems Fate entwines us again.
    Oi. The Irish gave the Italians a major headache. And considering the current state of the Bleus, any team that puts its heart and soul in a match, as the Irish are wont to do, could well overcome our sulking, overpaid 'let's underestimate the opponent' princesses.

Anyway, I would like to say 'best of luck to my Irish friends!', but I wouldn't really mean that so may the Gods curse your football shoes and plunge Ireland into mourning while Gourcuff or the Fifa get us into the World Cup.
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 10-19-2009 at 13:58.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Would I be jumping the gun to say Russia and Ukraine are sure-fire fixtures for the World Cup.
    Last edited by naut; 10-19-2009 at 15:06.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

I'd say Russia and France, rather than Ukraine. Ukraine didn't impress me and Slovenia isn't that bad. Portugal's in a very bad position.

I must admit I'll be cheering for Bosnia there, mostly because of our Alfonso I here. Since he "can't imagine" the world cup without Ronaldo, maybe seeing it will make it easier to imagine next time.

Edit: Hehe, what a goal by Stankovic
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 10-19-2009 at 15:45.

I'd say Russia and France, rather than Ukraine. Ukraine didn't impress me and Slovenia isn't that bad. Portugal's in a very bad position.

I must admit I'll be cheering for Bosnia there, mostly because of our Alfonso I here. Since he "can't imagine" the world cup without Ronaldo, maybe seeing it will make it easier to imagine next time.

Edit: Hehe, what a goal by Stankovic
    My name is Afonso, Alfonso is Spanish...and Bosnia is a good side enough to beat us!

don't tell me ... but if so, because of you I might want to see Serbia eliminated in group stage...as i can't imagine you to go further...

as the saying goes ... the last laugh is the best who laughs ...
    Last edited by Afonso I of Portugal; 10-19-2009 at 16:32.

Forgot the draw was today.

Disappointing one, in that neither side from Greece - Ukraine should qualify. As good as both Bosnia and Slovenia are, I can't see them coming through. Both are good teams facing opponents with supremely talented individuals, and it'll be enough of a task for those sides to stop them imposing their inflated selves on the ties, nevermind beating the teams built around them.

There's no doubt Ireland can beat France, but will they? Already I foresee a hatful of typically painful missed chances: Robbie Keane skying a sitter, or a chance for glory in the 94th minute of the second leg falling to John O'Shea... In reality, that boy Gignac will probably score a couple of scuffed, early away goals to kill it.

My name is Afonso, Alfonso is Spanish...and Bosnia is a good side enough to beat us!

don't tell me ... but if so, because of you I might want to see Serbia eliminated in group stage...as i can't imagine you to go further...

as the saying goes ... the last laugh is the best who laughs ...
    typing mistake, sorry about that.

It's your prerogative my good friend. Nothing personal against Portugal or you, I just simply dislike the notion (that you cherish) that FIFA must aid expensive teams to qualify. That's not what WC is about. Groups were already seeded, if you aren't good enough to qualify - good riddance. Having seeded games again in the play-offs is one big disgrace to FIFA.

Forgot the draw was today.

Disappointing one, in that neither side from Greece - Ukraine should qualify. As good as both Bosnia and Slovenia are, I can't see them coming through. Both are good teams facing opponents with supremely talented individuals, and it'll be enough of a task for those sides to stop them imposing their inflated selves on the ties, nevermind beating the teams built around them.

There's no doubt Ireland can beat France, but will they? Already I foresee a hatful of typically painful missed chances: Robbie Keane skying a sitter, or a chance for glory in the 94th minute of the second leg falling to John O'Shea... In reality, that boy Gignac will probably score a couple of scuffed, early away goals to kill it.
    I don't know, I have a feeling that France will really trounce Ireland. Portugal will have a hard time and Slovenia will make it hard for Ukraine. Russia's pretty much a given, for me.
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 10-19-2009 at 16:58.

I don't know, I have a feeling that France will really trounce Ireland.
    So do I, but I had a feeling France would waste Scotland twice over, and yet they were dealt out what could only be described as incredible ownage in return. Whatever happens, I hope the Irish take 50,000 plus to Paris, and squeeze over 20,000 into that stadium. [Ok, so it might not have the same effect it would at the Parc des Princes, but it's amazing to hear what sounds like a home game on foreign soil.]
    ...Slovenia will make it hard for Ukraine. Russia's pretty much a given, for me.
    Slovenia play Russia. Ukraine play Greece. The more I try to put a positive spin on Russia - Slovenia, the more reality bites at me, really. Assess a handful of the second-placed teams entering these play-offs - we find that most have had real difficulty up until this point:

• France are a wreck, floating across the Irish Sea on astrological autopilot. [but as we know, this may well be enough.]
    • Ukraine were an utter shambles in the critical game in Zagreb. Although they took the lead [comedic defending] they were dominated by Croatia, who hit the post and bar two or three times, including one last-minute shot which would have won them the game and effectively eliminated Ukraine from qualifying.
    • Greece toiled in an extremely weak group, in which the leaders suffered a home loss to Luxembourg.
    • Even our Iberian contingent would recognise the fact that Portugal had significant problems negotiating their way to second place.
    • But Russia, well... the only thing that stopped Arshavin and co. from cruising through their group was the very presence of the forces of darkness.

So do I, but I had a feeling France would waste Scotland twice over, and yet they were dealt out what could only be described as incredible ownage in return. Whatever happens, I hope the Irish take 50,000 plus to Paris, and squeeze over 20,000 into that stadium. [Ok, so it might not have the same effect it would at the Parc des Princes, but it's amazing to hear what sounds like a home game on foreign soil.]

Slovenia play Russia. Ukraine play Greece. The more I try to put a positive spin on Russia - Slovenia, the more reality bites at me, really. Assess a handful of the second-placed teams entering these play-offs - we find that most have had real difficulty up until this point:

• France are a wreck, floating across the Irish Sea on astrological autopilot. [but as we know, this may well be enough.]
    • Ukraine were an utter shambles in the critical game in Zagreb. Although they took the lead [comedic defending] they were dominated by Croatia, who hit the post and bar two or three times, including one last-minute shot which would have won them the game and effectively eliminated Ukraine from qualifying.
    • Greece toiled in an extremely weak group, in which the leaders suffered a home loss to Luxembourg.
    • Even our Iberian contingent would recognise the fact that Portugal had significant problems negotiating their way to second place.
    • But Russia, well... the only thing that stopped Arshavin and co. from cruising through their group was the very presence of the forces of darkness.
    Poor Bosnia. I really wanted them to go to the WC. Bad draw for them.

EDIT: With Liedson, and comparing both teams, Portugal clearly has better players on every section. Provided they play with a minimum of teamplay, we'll sail through easily.
    Last edited by Jolt; 10-19-2009 at 19:44.
    BLARGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Poor Bosnia. I really wanted them to go to the WC. Bad draw for them.

EDIT: With Liedson, and comparing both teams, Portugal clearly has better players on every section. Provided they play with a minimum of teamplay, we'll sail through easily.
    Well, we play first leg home thus i bet Bosnia will put the bus in front of the net and try to hit us in the counter-attack...like Denmark, Sweden and Albania did. Therefor, if we manage to beat them, (1-0 couldn't be that bad), in the second leg they must play more open, increasing our chances...we also have fast wingers for the counter-attack...Simão, Nani, Quaresma.

Well, we play first leg home thus i bet Bosnia will put the bus in front of the net and try to hit us in the counter-attack...like Denmark, Sweden and Albania did. Therefor, if we manage to beat them, (1-0 couldn't be that bad), in the second leg they must play more open, increasing our chances...we also have fast wingers for the counter-attack...Simão, Nani, Quaresma.
    Bosnia don't have a bus to park, only an attack. [Which could well be their downfall, yes.]

Bosnia don't have a bus to park, only an attack. [Which could well be their downfall, yes.]
    Are you sure? They did it playing away with Spain!
    Last edited by Afonso I of Portugal; 10-19-2009 at 22:54.

Maradona strike Argentinian media..."Keep sucking..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHl9l2KgmWk

Are you sure? They did it playing away with Spain!
    They have exceptional attacking players, but I'd imagine if you go to Spain, the chances of getting any kind of significant period of possession are limited, no matter who you are. I'd put it down to that rather than a concerted effort. In any case, I can only hope they have a go in Portugal.

Just as an aside, the offending ball at Sunderland was part of the Liverpool "Beach Set". I looked it up on their store, but it's sadly no longer available.

Dzeko vs Ricardo Carvalho? Err...

I only hope for the love of god that Bruno Alves doesn't play in such vital games.

The only chance they'll get is through the flanks or long shots or set pieces.

Bosingwa isn't exactly the best Right Defender around, and he can't go too deep to support the attack or Bosnia might hit the counter-attack. We don't have any Left-Defender. If Duda is supposed to go play Left Defender, I'd rather much more be me doing it as I'm an actual left-footed Left Defender. Although I suck, I can't possibly do much worse than him. Miguel Veloso isn't really a Left Defender. But I suppose he will be the best thing we have for that position. He can go forward a little bit and organize play in his flank from our own half with long passes.

Long shots is how sucky and lucky teams score against us. Perfect example.

Set pieces. Everyone knows we suck in them. Noone's special fault. Curiously we haven't suffered a set piece goal in this qualification that I remember of, despite playing against Denmark & Sweden.

Also, from what I heard, Bosnia plays with 3 defenders? Plus they are slow? Oh boy, Liedson is going to do damage there.

EDIT: Oh and there's penalties. But Bosnia isn't France, so we don't have to worry about that.
    Last edited by Jolt; 10-20-2009 at 02:10.
    BLARGH!

Džeko, Misimović, and Ibišević [if he's back on form, I don't know.] are the main threats. If you can nullify them, you'd obviously be well on your way, though I wouldn't bet against them getting an away goal.

Just out of curiosity, what's your keeper situation like? Yes, it's taken me the length of this campaign to fully realise that Ricardo isn't around.

We got Eduardo as keeper. He plays for Braga. He's good, but nothing out of the ordinary. Substitute goal keepers are Quim, who is now benched at Benfica, and Rui Patricio, which plays for Sporting but is yet young and makes some childish mistakes (However, he has never suffered a goal through penalty. And he's playing as starting goal-keeper since 2008/2009). He is currently one of Man Utd's target to replace Van der Sar.

Eduardo is good enough I suppose. Ricardo is the benched keeper for the second Spanish league team Betis nowadays. :x Traded Sporting for that. Good ridance.
    Last edited by Jolt; 10-20-2009 at 03:45.
    BLARGH!

I don't know why's everyone so quick to write off Bosnia. Sure Portugal are favourites but...

Džeko, Misimović, and Ibišević
    Pjanic deserves more than an honourable mention. That's enough to concern any defense in the world. Bosnia scored 25 goals in the qualifications, and had a much harder group than Portugal. Their coach is quite good, he got Croatia to the semis of the WC in 1998, only to be defeated by the eventual winners France.

They have nothing to lose, getting to the play-offs is a success for them. Portugal, on the other hand, will be feeling pressure. Not nearly as straightforward match as many would like to think.

Pjanic deserves more than an honourable mention.
    Yes, you're right - for some obscure reason I thought he wasn't getting much time in the team. [Hadn't bothered following the last match.]

I've certainly not written them off, and I hope they do come through. I think it's unlikely that Portugal will 'sail through', but we just don't know until we see how it unfolds on the pitch.

Page 118 of 167 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128 ... LastLast