Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bioshock non-gameplay discussion

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Bioshock non-gameplay discussion

I'll put one behind a spoiler tag because it's quite graphic, sickening in fact. I like.

BIG FAT PG WARNING

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

That is the most horrific blood I have ever seen, and these enemies are just wrong, yuk disgusting. I am so hyped up about this game that if someone gave me a job as cortex reaver I wouldn't hesitate to take it.
    Last edited by Fragony; 09-13-2006 at 11:13.

Default Re: Oh my, new Bioshock screenshots

It looks like great fun! When is it released?

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat
    It looks like great fun! When is it released?
    Hold it soldier, this is the spiritual successor of what many consider the greatest gameseries ever made, the System Shock series, work on your hyperbole. If you have no idea what I am talking about you are one of the lucky few who have not played the miracle that is System Shock 2 and thus can still do so.

Nope, I have never played it and never even heard of it, nor seen it in any stores. Maybe it hasn't come out this way, or the local games stores are just useless and have hardly any games (which is the more likely one)

It sort of looks like FEAR to me.

I think I will start looking around though.
    Last edited by Hepcat; 09-13-2006 at 12:25.

... how can anyone not of heard of System shock 2 and Shodan - i was unfortunate to miss the first but number 2 was (and still is) one of the best horror shooters around - Shodan was just the most evil and yet plausable villian

i have high hopes for bioshock they seem to have all the right ingrediants - Freaky enemies, a devestated enviroment and a strongly evil Badguy.

they even have the story right System shock was how our technology could be turned against Humanity (well that was the story behind shodan anyway) Bioshock seems to focus around how Biology could be turned around to be used against humantity

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Yummy pics! Can't wait for this one. Got sooooo many good games coming out soon, I need to get cracking on building a new machine.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Pray with me brothers!

Pleasedonotletthisgamesuck
    Last edited by Spino; 09-13-2006 at 16:07.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

The blood on the second screenshot looks like plastic.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Those graphics looks awesome. Zombie blasting never looked so good!

Ausculta mihi! Tibi dico!

Oh yuck that screenshot is disgusting!

A little blood can enhance the game experience but that is total overkill!

There is no way my laptop can run it

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Moody
    they even have the story right System shock was how our technology could be turned against Humanity (well that was the story behind shodan anyway) Bioshock seems to focus around how Biology could be turned around to be used against humantity
    I'm wondering why they keep pushing for that "totally free capitalism can turn against you" theme in the inteviews. Feels somewhat wrong considering what you know this far, but it might be better explained in the game.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Quote Originally Posted by Syxx_Killer
    Those graphics looks awesome. Zombie blasting never looked so good!
    This ain't no zombie blasting mia muca, this is going to be an adventure game with rpg elements and a lot of sneaking, unless you like to blast mutants of course.

Hmm, testing moral boundries (shooting of small children)? Check. Awesome graphics? Check. Original setting? Check. Made by the good chaps behind System Shock 2? Check.

I want now!
    "Once upon a time, on the internet there was a guy, a very deeply flawed man, they called him Eric Bauman..." -www.ebaumsworldsucks.com

That's the best blood graphic I've seen...too bad my computer will never be able to run this game.
    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." - John Kenneth Galbraith

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

I shall purchase a new computer for this game !
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Thing is, fancy graphics are nice and all, but it wasn't the graphics that scared you senseless in SS2, it was the sound & atmosphere. Scared me so much I couldn't even finish the demo.
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Looks like Doom 3. Sorry, I'll stick with System Shock 2.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Well, the two screenshots here are perhaps the most visceral, shocking ones. But there are other, slightly older ones of the little sisters etc that are very intriguing:

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/bio...475&q=Bioshock

Coupled with what the developers have said about the game, it does look very promising.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

I'm sorry, but the blood effects squirting out of that guy are just fugly, and the blood on the wall behind him looks horribly fake.

Apart from that, looks absolutely brilliant!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kekvitirae
    Well, Doom 3 had been more scary if they were less predictable, better darkness (too much of it, ability of gun + flashlight at the same time is better then to switch, I used the muzzle flash to see), and the hunted feeling.

Besides, SS2 was scary because of the sounds, lack of "gun safety feeling" (gives the feeling of being hunted and/or very fragile), the logs (Doom's were hard to hear and only the audio-logs were freaky and only few of them), the gosts, the story, etc (didn't find SHODAN that scary, but she's a very cool character and certainly discomforting).

It's hard to get that through screens.
    Image SS2 with Doom 3 graphics anyway
    "Kill me!!"
    Monkey chatter...

The blood on the wall looks like paint, but I'm note sure how a thick dried layer of blood looks like.
    Last edited by Ironside; 09-15-2006 at 19:13.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

that blood looks funny.

im sure people have seen blood before. why dont they just make blood look like that?!

Nice screenshots although the blood looks like claymation. They should 86 the claymation-esque blood and make it look real.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I wouldnt make too many judgements about how the blood looks based one a single screen shot. Until you see it in motion, it's going to be tough to say how it really looks.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by kekvitirae
    That is one way to do the graphics don't matter thing. System shock 2 was brilliant despite a dated engine, no way good graphics could have hurt it.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21
    Well, the two screenshots here are perhaps the most visceral, shocking ones. But there are other, slightly older ones of the little sisters etc that are very intriguing:

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/bio...475&q=Bioshock

Coupled with what the developers have said about the game, it does look very promising.
    Yes, apart from that one disgusting screenshot, the rest look pretty interesting and I must say I like the original storyline - you could probably do an SF book with a theme like that.

But a shooter - I don't care how good the graphics are, I just don't think I could face another one...

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by screwtype
    But a shooter - I don't care how good the graphics are, I just don't think I could face another one...
    I don't really play shooters. I recently tried Call of Duty and while it is well done, I just can't get past the first few levels - the shooting is too frenetic, intense and repetitive, it does not appeal. But I never thought System Shock 2 was a "shooter" - I guess because I never shot anything until towards the end. I spent most of the time hiding behind round corners with a wrench, to hoard ammo.

I think of SS2 more as an "experience". It was the sounds of the enemies roaming around and the logs telling the backstory that stood out. If Bioshock is like that, as I expect, I'll be delighted. I was very pleased, for example, to learn that the intimidating looking "big daddies" and the little sisters are not hostile to the player by default - you have to provoke them before they attack.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21
    I think of SS2 more as an "experience". It was the sounds of the enemies roaming around and the logs telling the backstory that stood out. If Bioshock is like that, as I expect, I'll be delighted. I was very pleased, for example, to learn that the intimidating looking "big daddies" and the little sisters are not hostile to the player by default - you have to provoke them before they attack.
    Yes, I've gathered that from what people have previously said about the game. But my reading of the interview with Irrational is that Bioshock will be more of a traditional shooter than the previous games. On the other hand, he did say there will be alternative strategies, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they come up with.

I just saw a completely new Bioshock video where a developer plays the game and comments on many things. It was a pretty interesting video which can be downloaded here.
    I have to say the video was pretty interesting, the guy shows how one can interact with the world, some locations and the use of different ammunition types and genetic material.
    Last edited by Husar; 09-21-2006 at 12:06.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

good find! So much awesome, this is going to be so scary!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast