Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Europa Barbarorum Bibliography

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum Bibliography

DjVu sucks, but you can convert it to Pdf: http://www.djvu-to-pdf.com/

I just read the first volume and though a bit outdated it was very entertaining.
    Last edited by burn_again; 10-09-2009 at 16:21.

Both volumes 1 & 2 of Edwyn R. Bevan's House of Seleucus were on Google books when I read it last month. I did find it quite entertaining.

Hi, i have a question...

Are there any books that focus on the Carthaginian expansion in spain? I've always been a Carthy fanatic, but i really lack anything more than a few page info about the subject... It would be really great to if someone would tell me where i could find a book about those expeditions
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Hello again!

I am currently confused which one to buy/read.

The Armenians A.E. Redgate

A History of Armenia, Vahan M. Kurkjian

Someone who can give me some tips which one would be better to read? I know the bottom one is online but I cant read such a huge book online. So which one do you advise to read from page 1 to the end?

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    Hello again!

I am currently confused which one to buy/read.

The Armenians A.E. Redgate

A History of Armenia, Vahan M. Kurkjian

Someone who can give me some tips which one would be better to read? I know the bottom one is online but I cant read such a huge book online. So which one do you advise to read from page 1 to the end?

~Fluvius
    Read the second one, definitely. Read Michael Chahin's "Kingdom of Armenia" (I believe that is what it is called. Can't believe I've forgotten the name, I own the book and after reading it many times, it is simply collecting dust!). If you can, buy the blue version of Chahin's book, as it is the newer post-soviet version. The version I own is the red/pinkish version, the late soviet-era version. No biggie, just a bit more expensive to get the newer one ;)

I haven't read the first book, but hey, go for it. Whatever you do, don't take everything you read too literally. You might come across stuff that seems odd, etc. It's too much of a headache I say. As an Armenian (read 'ultra-nationalist'), I might not agree with everything the writers say, but I enjoy the text, like I enjoy sci-fi novels (and I ENJOY SCI FI NOVELS BELIEVE ME!!). So just read, and have fun!

Enjoy,
    Vartan
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    Read the second one, definitely. Read Michael Chahin's "Kingdom of Armenia" (I believe that is what it is called. Can't believe I've forgotten the name, I own the book and after reading it many times, it is simply collecting dust!). If you can, buy the blue version of Chahin's book, as it is the newer post-soviet version. The version I own is the red/pinkish version, the late soviet-era version. No biggie, just a bit more expensive to get the newer one ;)

I haven't read the first book, but hey, go for it. Whatever you do, don't take everything you read too literally. You might come across stuff that seems odd, etc. It's too much of a headache I say. As an Armenian (read 'ultra-nationalist'), I might not agree with everything the writers say, but I enjoy the text, like I enjoy sci-fi novels (and I ENJOY SCI FI NOVELS BELIEVE ME!!). So just read, and have fun!

Enjoy,
    Vartan
    Thank you for the reply, its good to hear from someone.

I found the Kingdom of Armenia one (blue), it is around 50 euros. I did spend a lot on the EB bibliography, so I might wait a while till I buy that, still if you keep reading it, it will probably good although I am not a Armenian ultra-nationalist. When I will make a new order in the future it will probably contain the following ones:

- Babylon, Memphis, Persepolis - Walter Burkert Hardcover
    - If I have to believe you the Armenian book from Vahan Kurkijan instead of the A.E. Redgates one.
    - Maybe Sun Tzu, art of war. I came across it and it was only 10 euros for a 200 page oxford edition, so why not?

I am reading Soldiers & Ghosts from J.E. Lendon atm.

I have managed to get quite a collection in 1 and a half month. First I had nothing and now my bookshelf contains around 10 EB bibliography books

~Fluvius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Mulceber!

Hello again!

I recently ordered the recommended Celtic historical atlas. It was very detailed and I found it really interesting.

Now my question is:

Are there more EB recommended Historical Atlasses? The other one of John Haywood, the historical atlas of ancient civilisations perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

~Fluvius

1x From Mulceber!

I hereby revive this Thread!

But really, I don't know which book to pick:

Alexander Of Macedon, 356-323 B.C. Peter Green
    Engels - Paperback

OR

Conquest and Empire
    Conquest and Empire A. B. Bosworth
    Engels - Paperback

The last one is not included in the EB bibliography but both are recommended by Frank Holt from Thundering Zeus.

Thanks in advance!

~Fluvius

1x From Mulceber!

αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν Member tsidneku's Avatar

Does any EB group member have advice regarding Augustan and post-Principate Provincia Galatia?
    I'm already using Mitchell 2003 (Anatolia) and Magie 1993. I can't really use anything but English. Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch.

Hi...

I just found an interesting book about the Kingdom of Saba in my library, and I wonder if the EB team used it, or was it dissmised for some reason. The book is in German though, so I have no idea what it says.

The book name is : Das Reich der Königin von Saba, by Gabriel Mandel.

Any of you know a book covering the siege of Jerusalem in 70 ad?

i know about Josephus' account, but anything more modern? just to see if Josephus wasn't the only man to record what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by L.C. SVLLA View Post
    Any of you know a book covering the siege of Jerusalem in 70 ad?

i know about Josephus' account, but anything more modern? just to see if Josephus wasn't the only man to record what happened.
    The book Soldiers and Ghosts by J.E. Lendon has a chapter on the Jewish Revolt and how Titus surpresses it (also quite some details about the siege of Jerusalem).

~Fluvius

1x From Mulceber!

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

This list is great. Thanks a lot to everyone that worked on it. On a different note, Ive created a wishlist on my barnes and noble account, and im going to buy 14 of those books (used) for under $40. In my opinion, thats very cheap.

4x
    1x

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    The book name is : Das Reich der Königin von Saba, by Gabriel Mandel.
    I don't know if it has been used for EB I, but as of now I haven't read it, as It's not in my library. Anything interesting in it for EB?

The book Soldiers and Ghosts by J.E. Lendon has a chapter on the Jewish Revolt and how Titus surpresses it (also quite some details about the siege of Jerusalem).

~Fluvius
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Vasiliyi View Post
    This list is great. Thanks a lot to everyone that worked on it. On a different note, Ive created a wishlist on my barnes and noble account, and im going to buy 14 of those books (used) for under $40. In my opinion, thats very cheap.
    I wish From Samarkhand to Sardis was that cheap! Or Lysimachus by Helen S. Lund

Indeed these books are good, I own around 12 at the moment, I will probably order more the next month!

~Fluvius
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 02-20-2010 at 15:45.

1x From Mulceber!

Currently I am looking for a good book on the Nomads, does anyone have advice on which one to choose from these two?

The Tarim Mummies, JP Mallory and Victor H. Mair

OR

Warriors of the Steppe, Hildinger

~Fluvius

1x From Mulceber!

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    I don't know if it has been used for EB I, but as of now I haven't read it, as It's not in my library. Anything interesting in it for EB?
    Unfortunatly my german sucks, and i didn't really give a good look at it, but it has like 300 pages or so, and it's AFAIK the only book about the Saba in the library, so i was sure you guys used it. I will try to check it out next week, i hope i will manage to decipher the German

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

I've found it for sale, and it apparantly was only price €3's. With a bit of luck that means I might just go buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    I've found it for sale, and it apparantly was only price €3's. With a bit of luck that means I might just go buy it.
    thank god it's cheap so i don't have to lose an hour to read a small page.
    Well I hope there will be something you can use in EB II in it.

Oh and please tell me if you will find something usefull, so i will have at least a moral satisfaction of helping the EB team :P

Just sharing:

The house of Seleucus by Bevan has been reprinted, I don't know if anything important has changed but the book is brand new again!

~Fluvius

1x From Mulceber!

It's nothing new, just a straight reprint. I own it and I can say that on a couple of pages the first column of letters is missing due to how they reprinted it. Still, it's good to have a hard copy of it.

Did someone read this? Is it good? This publisher also had Mithridates the Great, Rome's indomitable enemy.

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/?product_id=1941

~Fluvius

1x From Mulceber!

Did someone read this? Is it good? This publisher also had Mithridates the Great, Rome's indomitable enemy.

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/?product_id=1941

~Fluvius
    Wow, the books on this page look very very interesting... Is there anyone who read any of them? I'm really thinking on buying some... Are they more novels? Or are they pure facts?

They're crap. I suppose you could consider them easy entry material, but if it gives you any indication one of their books mentions something about Seleukos fighting some other successor one-on-one, which originally showed up on Wikipedia and remains unsourced in the bibliography.

Quote Originally Posted by abou View Post
    They're crap. I suppose you could consider them easy entry material, but if it gives you any indication one of their books mentions something about Seleukos fighting some other successor one-on-one, which originally showed up on Wikipedia and remains unsourced in the bibliography.
    Wow, you really know how to crush a guys dreams ;). I really hoped for this books to be good. Did you read perhaps any other book? Except the one of the successors? The Carrhae campaign one seems really detailed as i've read from reviews from other people

I'd suggest: http://www.scribd.com:

Some examples of EB related reads, just to leave impression:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/12450082/Hannibal

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13952036/Plutarchs-Lives-Vol3

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2395591/Th...yria-Babylon-M

IIRC you have to register in order to read books on Scribd.
    Last edited by Jebivjetar; 03-24-2010 at 14:41.

Hello,

Recently, I found one interesting city Asodat on EB map, and I was so exited to see there "Eletheroi Town (Saami)". I lurked a little and found the following ásodat residence, house, home, place to live. May someone provide me with the links to the good books about Saami in 3rd BC please?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Finn MacCumhail; 04-05-2010 at 17:23. Reason: grammar

Greetings!

Which book would be best on the Makedonian Antigonid Kings? A lot from the Makedonia section is about Alexandros and his father, I know the story and already have books about it, but not much information about Demetrius II Aetolicus and Antigonos III Doson in particular.

If I look at the titles I think either:

A history of Macedonia - Errington

Or

The Macedonian State - Hammond

would be the titles which would cover the Antigonid dynasty.

So in short, I look for a book about the Antigonids from Antigonos I Monopthalmus to Perseus, a bit like the way History of the Ptolemaic Empire covers the Ptolemies from Ptolemaios I Soter to the last offspring of Cleopatra VII Philopator.

Thanks in advance!

~Fluvius

1x From Mulceber!

For all those Pontus/ Mithradateslovers out there:

More information:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...36/truthdig-20

http://www.stanford.edu/dept/classic...nal-book-award

Just bought it
    Last edited by Dutchhoplite; 05-14-2010 at 16:36.
    I love the smell of bronze in the morning!

Campaigns completed: Vanilla Seleucid, EB 1.2. Carthaginian, RSII Pergamon

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast