Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So Windows vista’s out

Default So Windows vista’s out

Microsoft has released vista, dose anybody care and will you be buying it. Has anybody tried it because a friend of mine has and he crashed it within 10 minuets.

the bbc has a bit of info
    Make Beer Not War

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Default Re: So Windows vista’s out

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieFriedNuts
    Microsoft has released vista, dose anybody care and will you be buying it. Has anybody tried it because a friend of mine has and he crashed it within 10 minuets.

the bbc has a bit of info
    I read a review on it. I won't get it, but it will start to show up on the newer computers(of course). Bill Gates was on The Daily Show last night and they were talking about it. I'll find the video later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

I won't get it, XP can last for about 5 years now, by that time I might buy a new PC and get the new thing with it

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

i wont buy it... its like 350$ even if i wanted it i couldnt afford it... :P

We do not sow.

Post Re: So Windows vista’s out

My PC struggles with M:TW, has to search through it's memory to find the tinest little bit of RAM for R:TW and EB almost burns my computer to ashes. Henceforth I will not be getting Vista, it's not that I don't want to, it's more than I can't - my PC can't run it.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 07-26-2007 at 21:47.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Blog Entries

Not until DX10 Games start coming out enmass.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I'm expecting my next PC upgrade won't be including Vista. I think it'll be at least a couple years until gamers are forced into buying it.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

It was a trap, after all. Member DukeofSerbia's Avatar

Thumbs up Don't care

Don't care until release of the first Service Pack 1 for Vista to solve security problems (like in every version of Win in the past).
    Watching
    EURO 2008 & Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Waiting for: Wimbledon 2008.

MS is really hyping this baby like it's the next coming of Baby Jesus. I spotted a massive, state of the art RV splattered with MS and Vista logos right outside my place of work yesterday morning (corner of 44th & Broadway). I'm sure they were trying to get the word out with flyers, freebies, demos and other assorted silliness. Hey you, come over here and let me show you a good reason for plunking down a few hundred bucks for this gizmo that costs a ton and will run slower on your PC than XP! Wheeee!

MS has, in part, failed to realize that OSes are not like cars or TVs where incremental advances in technology can become a huge selling point for consumers. Most people don't give a hoot what an OS can do so long as it is stable and runs their favorite applications with nary a hiccup. However, there are clearly some at MS who saw the writing on the wall which is why DX10 is a Vista only application. Unlike the average computer user hardcore gamers come from the same stock as car & gizmo junkies in that they are obsessed with anything which will improve their perceived experience, regardless of whether those improvements justify the expense (i.e. the uber-expensive Crossfire/SLI phenomenon).

I agree, DX10 games won't be a factor for at least another year, possibly longer.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spino
    MS has, in part, failed to realize that OSes are not like cars or TVs where incremental advances in technology can become a huge selling point for consumers. Most people don't give a hoot what an OS can do so long as it is stable and runs their favorite applications with nary a hiccup. However, there are clearly some at MS who saw the writing on the wall which is why DX10 is a Vista only application.
    You're forgetting the sheeple mentioned in the iPhone thread.

The general public are all muppets who believe New > Old.

I personally believe it's all a great conspiracy between M$ and hardware manufacturers. Release an OS that they know a whole load of people will want to buy, but requires a new and very expensive computer to run, while having all these hardware products endorsed by M$, thus allowing them to recieve a slice of the sweet pie.

XP to the death! It can last for about 5-6 years i bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

I have it but I want to get a new HDD for it first, I want to keep this one for XP for now.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

My University is a part of the Microsoft Developer Network Academic Alliance (MSDNAA), so I can legally get a free copy of Windows Vista Business, as well as a lot other stuff. I only found out this today.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I may end up getting it in 2-3 years, but there's no way I'm going to "beta test" Vista. I'm building a machine in the next couple of months, and it's getting XP Pro. There is no upside to Vista, it's a pig, it's got restrictive DRM, and it's ready to be exploited.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Moved.
    Unto each good man a good dog

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I may end up getting it in 2-3 years, but there's no way I'm going to "beta test" Vista. I'm building a machine in the next couple of months, and it's getting XP Pro. There is no upside to Vista, it's a pig, it's got restrictive DRM, and it's ready to be exploited.
    But Bill Gates said it's been thoroughly tested, so there's no need to wait.

As a gamer, I'd guess it's gonna be roughly 3yrs until everyone is forced into DX10. I keep hoping for "never" instead of 3yrs, but you've gotta be realistic.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizashi
    Ditto.

no it costs 1 GB of memory i believe, and games with Shader 3.0 model such as Oblivion will still be worth playing for long.
    Last edited by The Spartan (Returns); 01-30-2007 at 23:58.

It took me so long to move onto XP that it will probably take me longer to move onto Vista. All of the Windows Genuine Advantage stuff is likely to get even more annoying though surely? Anyone heard any info on that?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor
    My University is a part of the Microsoft Developer Network Academic Alliance (MSDNAA), so I can legally get a free copy of Windows Vista Business, as well as a lot other stuff. I only found out this today.
    Well, that's where I got mine from.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

I am staying well, well away from Vista until I am obliged to upgrade for DX10 games. I really can't believe the extent to which MS have gone for form over function-you know you're in trouble when your new OS's big selling point is 'Transparencies! Woo!'
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Heh. Vista Schmista.

Those transparencies look nice, though. I must-- resist-- getting-- Vis-- ta. . . .
    Arrgh! That's it! I'm gonna get it, just for the graphics! I mean, truly, it IS a GREAT OS improvement, isn't it?
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

It is worthless to just go out and buy Vista now. Better to wait at least until after the first service pack so the problems it has can be worked out. I am probably gonna get it when i upgrade my pc in a year or two
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Big King Sanctaphrax
    I am staying well, well away from Vista until I am obliged to upgrade for DX10 games. I really can't believe the extent to which MS have gone for form over function-you know you're in trouble when your new OS's big selling point is 'Transparencies! Woo!'
    I think there were more points when I tried the beta but since that was a while ago I forgot about them. Not saying they were big points though. It just felt better here and there.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizashi
    i will play old games

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I'm still kinda nostalgic for Win2k. It had it all, and it ran like greased lightning on everything. Is it wrong to feel a little resentful for having to move to XP? Obviously, I'm going to take my sweet effin' time with Vista. Apparently there is no technical reason why DX10 can't work on XP, so maybe I'll just hang around waiting to see if Microsoft blinks on the issue. Unlikely, I know, but possible.

If you want to read up on the V word, I don't think there's a more comprehensive review than this one.
    Last edited by Lemur; 01-31-2007 at 07:16.

Considering that most of vista's features are focused on buisnesses, i'll hold off until games start relying on dx10
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Apparently there is no technical reason why DX10 can't work on XP, so maybe I'll just hang around waiting to see if Microsoft blinks on the issue. Unlikely, I know, but possible.
    Even if they don't, I imagine someone will hack it at some point.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Apparently there is no technical reason why DX10 can't work on XP, so maybe I'll just hang around waiting to see if Microsoft blinks on the issue. Unlikely, I know, but possible.
    No reason at all, as far as I can tell either. This is quite simply a ruse to force more XP users onto Vista. Having achieved a virtual monopoly with their graphics API they are now in a position to dictate as to what you buy and when.
    Last edited by caravel; 01-31-2007 at 14:39.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

City-hystery caused by the arrival of Bill Gates in February. In Bucharest, on Magheru Avenue, instead of Christmas lights, we have Windows logos. At least 50 logos on the avenue, because Gates is gonna come to launch Vista.

~:|
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Pope Gates I, ensures that all Cathosoft factions adhere to the code or face excommunication. Once excommunicated other Cathosoft factions can then crusade against that faction. Otholinux and Maclim factions cannot crusade, but can do what they like without the Pope's approval... they may find crusades heading their way though. The Cathosoft code involves the usual indoctrination, invading the users' privacy and working it's way into every part of their lives.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast