Thread: Odds and ends need help

Default Odds and ends need help

Does anyone here know how to make units get into a boat? I can build harbors and I can build boats and I can sail the boats around the game map, but I cannot figure out how to load the boats with troops so I can take them from point A to point B.

Also is it possible to make one boat fight another? I can be waging bloody war on the entire world, but it looks like I am dealing with a bunch of maritime pacifists anytime one of my boats is in a sea region with a boat from another country.

Also, is it possible for the king of one country to marry off one of his daughters to the son of a foreign king and have the grandchild inherit the other country’s throne? It’s never happened anytime that I’ve played the game.

I bought my copy from a second-hand store, so if an owner’s manual came with, it didn’t come with the copy I have.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Odds and ends need help

In MTW, troops don't actually get onto specific boats. Naval transport is done by putting ships in sea regions. To move troops, you need a port in the source province, and an unbroken line of ships in the regions to the destination province. If you pick up the troop stack, all the provinces you can move it to get highlit, not just adjacent land regions, you just drag it to the desired province and it will go.

An enemy ship in a sea region will break this chain. This goes for trade as well. Naval combat is possible, just pick up one of your ship stacks and drop it on top of the enemy ship. A popup scroll should appear (if you aren't currently at war with the ship's owner).

Think of ships as sea region security. They don't actually do the work of trade or transport troops, this is done by phantom vessels. They just protect the shipping lanes to make it possible.

You can marry off a daughter and inherit lands, but there are specific conditions to get it to happen, and it's rare.

Welcome to the .Org!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Welcome to the Org, flaja! It's a pleasure to have you here.

Quote Originally Posted by flaja
    Does anyone here know how to make units get into a boat? I can build harbors and I can build boats and I can sail the boats around the game map, but I cannot figure out how to load the boats with troops so I can take them from point A to point B.
    As drone pointed out, you don't actually place units in/on boats per se. To move troops & armies across water, you need the following:

1.) At least one ship in each sea region between the originating province (the one from which your troops are embarking) and the destination province.

1a.) You must destroy or chase off any ships in those sea regions if they're owned by a faction you're currently at war with (and/or if they're owned by the faction you're planning on attacking).

2.) The originating province must have a port. (Also, the destination or "target" province must also have a port in order for you to be able to pull troops out again.)

Once these conditions are met, you just left-click to pick up an army stack and drop it wherever you want -- all provinces that will allow you you to place troops in them will be highlighted.

Also is it possible to make one boat fight another? I can be waging bloody war on the entire world, but it looks like I am dealing with a bunch of maritime pacifists anytime one of my boats is in a sea region with a boat from another country.
    To attack an enemy ship, just left-click one of your ship stacks and drop it on top of the enemy boat(s).

Also, is it possible for the king of one country to marry off one of his daughters to the son of a foreign king and have the grandchild inherit the other country’s throne? It’s never happened anytime that I’ve played the game.
    Actually, it's the other way around. To inherit another faction's lands, their ruling family must die out, and one of their princesses has to be married to either your faction leader or one of his sons.

Marrying your princess to another faction will never let you inherit that faction's lands. In fact, they would then be able to inherit *your* lands....which can happen if your faction suffers a civil war.

I bought my copy from a second-hand store, so if an owner’s manual came with, it didn’t come with the copy I have.
    If you've not already done so, flaja, I highly recommend you check out the MTW Guides section; it's chock-full of information and how-to guides. You should especially take a look at frogbeastegg's Beginners Guide to Medieval: Total War -- a lot of people have found it very useful when they're just learning how to play the game.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

How do I choose a wife for my king rather than waiting for him to get anxious for an heir and take one automatically?

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Send out emissaries across the map to find other factions' princesses to marry your king (and his sons). To propose a royal marriage, simply drop an emissary on a princess; the proposal will then automatically be brought to her king for consideration. The odds of another faction approving their princess' marriage to your king/prince depends on your faction leader's Influence, how many stars your emissary has, and how big you are. (If you're a superpower with 30+ provinces, it can be difficult to find princesses willing to marry into your faction.)

As a desperate last resort, you can also marry princesses to your own king/prince, but the man will then have the Incest vice (which lowers his Piety).
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

The manual is really good, flaja. Get it here :

http://www.replacementdocs.com/downl...nload_name.ASC

Wecome
    A single leaf falls,
    then suddenly another,
    stolen by the breeze

RANSETSU (1654-1707)

Here's some more tips, duder:

- Goths rule!

Hi flaja. If you bought the gold edition (Medieval Total War + Viking Invasion expansion pack together), you should also be able to find the manual on the game DVD. I don't know about the location, as I haven't got the disk with me here. Also, I am not sure if this is true if you bought Medieval Total War without the expansion pack. Just thought I would mention it - I think it was fairly straight-forward to find (in a directory named 'manuals' or 'docs' I think).

Also, as Martok pointed out, the MTW guides forum is really good, and combined with frogbeastegg's guide you will be conquering Europe in no time!
    "There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others", Niccolo Machiavelli

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

This is another area where the source code needs major intelligence & some basic improvements to provide more fun & strategy . The AI just doesn't cut it on the seas .