Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Duchy of Bavaria

Chretien Saisset Senior Member OverKnight's Avatar

Default Re: Duchy of Bavaria

I had a great deal to do with the "Kaiser's mess", though he has taken it to levels I never imagined.

I hope the gift of Florence will balance the scales of my past and present actions. I never expected Florence to be gifted to Bavaria, and so I will pass it on if needed for peace and reconciliation.

As for the Crusade, if viewed from a military or political angle, there is no direct benefit to us. The Crusade's benefits are spiritual and ineffable, and so they are hard to explain. If you don't understand my reasoning Gerhard, then simply follow my orders. It will work out for the best.
    Chretien Saisset, Chevalier in the King of the Franks PBM

Gerhard, as commander of the BHA, do you feel you can defeat the Hungarian army trespassing on our lands? We must crush them before we can relieve the siege of Venice.

If so I will revise the orders for the BHA and see if I can have Conrad Salier sent to assist you. I will suggest that he and any reinforcements arrive on the field as a separate army, so you can have overall command. See if you can get him blooded so we can have him knighted.

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

I will Gladly Fight the Hungarians, those those vile trespassers should be thought a lesson, and having young Salier on the battfield would be most welcome, It will be a tough fight. I will strike on your word my lord.

(OOC: do I get to pick the battfield? if not I'd like to attack the FS with a captian from the North West)
    Last edited by Stuperman; 04-06-2007 at 01:56.
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Conrad Salier:

Greetings, my fellow Bavarians, I believe that the time has come that I join your ranks.

Mein Duke, I hereby swear fealty to you and will obey you in all matters (OOC: bet you loved that last sentence), but I request, if possible, an alternative measure of obtaining knighthood. While this new Pope was not approved by either Heinrich or Henry, he does have much influence over Christendom and I would like to remain in his, along with everyone's, good graces.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Welcome Conrad, it is good to see Count Mandorf's protege join us. As I stated before, my plan is to have you see your first action against the Hungarian army outside of Venice. Despite the Chancellor's intent, they have yet to take the bait and attack Gerhard at his choke point. Despite this, I feel they must be driven off before we can address the other concerns in northern Italy such as the relief of Venice or sending a Bavarian noble to secure Rome from Papal interference.

Gerhard will command the battle, and I hope Chancellor Leopold will have you bring up some reinforcements from Milan to assist Sir Steffen. Our advantage in missile troops will offset their numbers.

It will be a great battle, a fitting test for Gerhard's leadership and a good opportunity to see if you are worthy of being knighted.

Gerhard, I have received a message from the Chancellor, he and I are of the same mind concerning the Hungarian threat. You will be leading the BHA into battle against them soon. Conrad Salier will be bringing some militia spearmen from Milan to assist you. Make sure that he sees some action and knight him if he performs well. Also that unit of 2 crossbowmen will be sent away so that you will have a combined command of 20 units on the battlefield.

If you have any specific requests of the Chancellor, placement of armies and such, write to him directly.

Godspeed Gerhard, if you are successful it will be one of the greatest victories in the history of the Reich and you will be rewarded.

OOC: No pressure or anything. . .

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Conrad Salier:

First of all, I graciously thank you for the Countship, Mein Duke.

Now that Chancellor Leopold's term is winding down and a new session of the Diet approaches, I believe that it is time to discuss what legislation should be proposed that will benefit Bavaria. Personally, I see little that needs to be addressed, as the focus of the Reich's war efforts have finally shifted away from Italy for the first time in a generation.

If some more observant Elector sees something that I have overlooked then I will obviously stand corrected.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

I agree with Count Salier that there is little that is need of active legislation at the moment. I am very content with the course that the Reich is taking at the moment and I believe that Chancellor Leopold has served his term capably and admirably. If anything needs our attention it should be ensuring that the Bavarian Household Army is maintained at a high level of quality. With the Kaiser in the East, Bavaria has become responsible for the security of all of Italy. The French threaten Italy with large forces and Milan and Venice continue to send armies towards their former holdings. We are in no danger now, but that could change suddenly if we were to allow the Household Army to fall into disrepair.

I agree with you both, there are no edicts I can think of proposing at the moment. One topic I see coming up at the next diet is negotiations with the Pope. We have tried to deal in good faith, but an agreement has evaded us.

This could effect Bavaria, while Rome is not in our duchy, we are the closest domain to it. It's defense will fall to us. This is important, but I would not see the BHA tied up with this responsibility all the time.

Perhaps we should give thought to an edict that mandates a minimum garrison for Rome. It would also be wise to have a noble near Rome, at the least, in case of an attack.

The Kaiser's announcement is also important, we must keep our eyes and ears open. We must have a Chancellor who is a supporter of the Crusade and of Bavaria.

Blog Entries

Conrad Salier:

I agree that Rome is very important. It is truly our capital now, as well as a bona fide holy city, no matter who holds it. I would support an edict maintaining a minimum garrison, and be honored to defend it.

However, I will not willingly engage in any hostile action against the Papacy if I am to defend Rome. Like it or not, the Pope is still the avatar of Christendom, whether he has the Kaiser's approval or not. I cannot willingly do harm to him and will only engage him if attacked.

Your faith speaks well of you Conrad, but if the previous Popes had not exhausted the supply of mercenaries arround Rome, I feel you would be defending the city against the current one.

We are in a difficult situation, and I fear there is no easy way out. Again the topic will most likely be discussed at the upcoming Diet, so I doubt this will be asked of you Count Salier.

These are good points. Rome is an Imperial territory, yet Bavaria has been saddled with the defense of the city. If the duty falls to us, then we should be compensated for the efforts. If the Kaiser cannot or will not see to the defense of his own lands, we must make sure that the defense of Rome does not otherwise hinder the protection of other Bavarian provinces.

I Like the Idea of a permanant garrison at Rome Just something modest to deter that old bugger the pope, and defend against the any further Mianese incursion, although hopefully the Sicillians will keep them busy, rumour has it that they have been besieging Corsica for nearly 20 years now. This would free up the BHA to deal with the French in the west without having to constantly run back to Italy everytime a bunch of peasents rebel.
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

Blog Entries

Conrad Salier:

Perhaps this would be fair:

Edict x.x: In the absence of the Kaiser, Rome is to have at all times a garrison of at least five regiments as well as a knighted commander. This commander is to receive an additional influence point for his efforts.

I do not see how anyone would protest to this, seeing as how Bavarian lives are at stake more than any other with the defense of Rome. My only concern is that this will most likely have to be proposed as an amendment, which will be much more difficult to pass.

3 infintry and 2 arrow units should suffice, as long as there is a General present, shouldn't we set a time limit so that this legislation runs out when out excommunication is lifted?

If this proposal is an edict, it will expire in 1200 at the next Diet session, that should serve as a good time limit and we can always repropose it if needed.

I do not think the edict should require a presence of a noble, merely that a strong enough garrison is in place. This is so in case of siege the city may hold out long enough for a relief force, presumably led by a noble, to arrive.

As for a bonus in influence for the garrison commander in Rome, that would indeed make it an amendment rather than an edict. I feel this is not needed, and an edict would have a better chance of passing.

A garrison of five units would be strong enough to hold off any forces the Pope may scrape together. However, if a Crusade is called against Rome it might be different story.

The garrison should be strong enough to deal with rebels, Papal assaults and delay a Crusade long enough to allow a relief force to arrive.

I do not envision a permanent commander of the garrison, rather any Bavarian noble who is not attached to the BHA would most likely be in command.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 04-20-2007 at 02:22.

The latest reports show that the Garrison of Rome is quite strong. If I do become Chancellor I will make sure that it stays that way.

Is the Rome edict still needed?

Gerhard, I also await your proposal concerning Ragusa.

Blog Entries

Conrad Salier:

No, I do not believe it is needed any longer.

Gerhard Steffen

Not as long as you win the Chancellorship, my lord.

Gerhard Steffen:

I've heard back from Duke Leopold and he supports the proposed edict, We can assume that Duke Hümmel won't be supporting it, that only leaves Franconia as an unknown.

Gerhard, I appreciate your efforts. Just be sure we have time to get it seconded and propose it in the Diet.

I understand the tight timetable, and as suck am forced to proceed without hearing form Franconia. I make this proposal with the intent of updating some old legislation to accurately reflect the current situation.

Edcit 7.x: Edict E1.7 shall be re-written to read "... This Edict does not apply to Marseille, Ragusa and Breslau, nor does it apply..."

For the record-

Edict E1.7: For the duration of the Crusade, the Reich will refrain from conquering any Catholic settlement and instead focus on defending the borders from outside attack and developing our provinces. This Edict does not apply to Thorn, Venice, Marseille and Breslau, nor does it apply to any settlement of the Reich which is captured by our enemies. Additionally, should the HRE be attacked by any nations it is not at war with at the time of the attack, one (1) settlement may be annexed from that nation of the Chancellor's choice.

I will second this, and if another Bavarian could come forward and do so as well, I will then propose it in the Diet.

Good work Gerhard, I guess the Franconians are too busy killing Poles to send messengers.

Electors of Bavaria,

I am deeply grateful for your support in the election. Without you all my elevation to Chancellor would not be possible.

I would also congratulate Gerhard for crushing the Venetians in northern Italy. I hope this is the last time they will threaten Venice and our own lands.

As always, I would appreciate any input you might have.

My fellow Bavarians, the next Diet session will soon begin, what issues, if any, should we pursue?

I have have heard that Gerhard has an edict in mind for the Milanese, the obstinate fools, would you care to elaborate on it?

Please, propose anything you all might have. The houses that are best prepared for the sessions usually do well in fulfilling their agendas.

Having given some thought to the matter, I'm going to propose a variation of Gerhard's Milanese edict:

Edict 8.x: The Milanese will be offered peace and trade rights with at most 5,000 florins as an incentive. If they refuse, they are to be destroyed expeditiously by taking Corsica and Sardinia, unless we are delayed from doing so by a Papal Bull. Once both islands are in our possession, Sardinia will be offered to the Sicilians in exchange for florins and/or their good will.

Our diplomat on Corsica has reported back about an army of cavalry and siege weapons on the island. Rather than wait for this axe to fall, we should make peace or finish them. Also, Sicily has stuck with us as allies through some dark times. They have shown they desire Sardinia with their short lived attacks on the Milanese, so we should give it to them to improve our relations, and to prevent that island from causing a rift in our alliance.

Both islands are underdeveloped, so the goal here is to eliminate or neutralize the Milanese while improving our relations with the Sicilians, rather than just territorial acquisition. By doing both, we can secure Italy even further from attack or betrayal.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 05-14-2007 at 08:30.

I am in full agreement with this Edict and you have my second. The terms of the peace offer are more than fair. If the Milanese do not accept, they can expect nothing more than the sword.

Honourable Duke Kassel

The wording of that Edict is most excellent, I agree that assisting sicily would be a high priority, they deserve recognition for thier loyalty.

Thank you both for your support. I will propose the edict when the new session begins. We should also start considering build queues as well.

The good thing about being Chancellor is that I didn't have to worry about setting my own queues, I will miss that.

Bavarian Electors,

Our House finds itself in the unique position of having no enemies on our borders, with the exception of the French on the Marseille frontier.

With the French excommunication, should we press for a move on Toulouse? Are there other areas of Europe we should address? Or should we sit back and have the BHA respond to events as they come?

Are there any edicts we should propose?

If the Outremer legislation passes, and I ask you to support it, I will no longer be your Duke. I ask Gerhard Steffen and the other electors to think well on the goals of Bavaria, for it be up to all of you to carry them out.

Whatever may come, it has been an honor to lead you. I know Bavaria will be in good hands when I am gone.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast