Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Duchy of Bavaria

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Duchy of Bavaria

Duchy of Bavaria

Provinces of Bavaria:
    Innsbruck - Fortress
    Nuremberg - Large City (Temporarily donated to the Kaiser)
    Bologna - Large City (Occupied by Byzantium)
    Milan - Huge City
    Genoa - Large City
    Florence - Huge City (Capital) (Occupied by Byzantium)
    Marseilles - Large City (Occupied by France)
    Ajaccio - Citadel (Occupied by Sicily)

Bavarian Nobles:
    Lothar Steffen - TinCow - Duke of Bavaria
    Matthias Steffen - OverKnight - Viceroy of Outremer, Ex-Chancellor, Count of Milan
    Friedrich Karolinger - Warmaster Horus - Count of Innsbruck
    Fredericus Erlach - Stuperman - Count of Genoa
    Hans von Bavaria - vpmd
    Hermann Steffen - GeneralHankerchief

Bavarian Ducal Lineage:
    1080 AD to 1146 AD - Maximillian Mandorf (Steward)
    1146 AD to 1232 AD - Otto von Kassel (Duke)
    1232 AD to 1292 AD - Gerhard Steffen (Duke)
    1292 AD to 1??? AD - Lothar Steffen (Duke)

Bavarian Household Armies:
    Gerhard Steffen Memorial Army - Defending Genoa and Milan - Commanded by Duke Lothar Steffen
    Otto von Kassel Memorial Army - Assigned to offensive actions to retake the lost Italian provinces - Commanded by Count Friedrich Karolinger
    Last edited by TinCow; 12-19-2007 at 13:13.

Default Re: Duchy of Bavaria

Bavarians! As Steward of the greatest House of the Reich, I greet you!

We have much work to do and much to discuss. Though our hearts certainly remain to the north, in Alps and the bountiful green fields beyond, our future lies in Italy. For some time now, the House of Bavaria has strived to gain control of northern Italy. These are rich provinces, well connected to the most important trading routes of the world. Nuremburg will always remain our capital and cultural center, but we must milk the wealth of Italy if we are to bring prosperity to our House and our people.

Much has already been achieved towards this goal. Since our push for Italian lands began, we have obtained Bolognia and Milan, both considerable successes. However, these successes have remained entirely isolated from the rest of Bavaria and have been rendered largely useless to us by the constant warring with the Italian states.

This must change! Bolognia is currently occupied by Venetian scum. Its liberation must be our highest priority. We must then focus on ensuring that these territories are secure and well-defended, so that the riches of Bavaria will never again be stolen away from us. Following this, we must invest great wealth into developing the trade infrastructure of the Italian provinces. It will be costly in the beginning, but if we construct great ports, markets, and large communal farms, we will reap a wealth beyond anything we have yet seen.

Finally, we must expand further. Italy is Bavaria's future! We must do all in our power to bring Genoa, Florence, and Venice into the fold as soon as possible. With God's blessing, we may one day even control the Holy City itself.

These challenges I set before you, fellow Bavarians. Let us take up the gauntlet!
    Last edited by TinCow; 03-01-2007 at 19:44.

*hoists mug* To Bavaria

5th Elector of Bavaria Member nazgul3's Avatar

Here! Here! Noble sire! also raises glass

GOD WILLS IT!!! GOD WILLS IT!!!! GOD WILLS IT!!!
    "Lord you have conquered the known world there is noone left to fight."
    [humph]...There is awlays someone left to fight.

Chretien Saisset Senior Member OverKnight's Avatar

A simple solution to our troubles in Italy would be to have a crusade called against Venice. In one fell swoop it would solve our manpower issues and lack of Papal favor. However, there is already a Crusade called for Tunis and I doubt, with our current standing with Gregory, the Pope would listen to us.

Is there a way the Reich can have this Crusade against Tunis end early and then have a crusade called for Venice?

I do not see an answer but perhaps one of you has one.
    Chretien Saisset, Chevalier in the King of the Franks PBM

That would indeed be an admirable solution. However, it takes many men with a great religious zeal to form a Crusade. Even if the Sicilian Crusade were to end this very day, it would be a decade, perhaps two, before another was able to be launched. By that point, our war with Venice will surely be concluded, one way or another.

my dear lords of Bavaria what does our House seek out itself as a goal?

I believe our Steward mentioned some goals in his opening statement. I would sum it up as: A successful conclusion of the war in Northern Italy with Bavaria receiving the lion's share of the former Milanese and Venetian lands. The Italian cities are flushed with money and would add greatly to Bavarian coffers.

(OOC: There's no way of actually funnelling the money into Bavaria's non-existent treasury, but it's good for bragging rights.)

Edit: I agree with these goals. But I also must add that we must pursue our goals in a focused and controlled manner. Denunciations in the Diet might make for good drama, but they are a poor way to add lands to Bavaria as the Kaiser makes the final decision on who receives newly conquered territories.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 03-05-2007 at 06:30.

*on an out of character note* in regards to an election of chancellor perhaps we might want to nominate a member of this house and support them to allow for more internal friction and to improve role play of characters

OOC: I get the feeling that the upcoming elections will be contested and that there will already be friction in the storied House of Bavaria without another Bavarian running against Max.

From the stories thread, it appears that GH will be running as well, so there will be at least two of us. I wouldn't be surprised if a random Franconian threw his hat in as well.

Well we will have to rally those who are not of those houses to our side but how?
    Last edited by nazgul3; 03-07-2007 at 04:37.

While we tend to think of the Houses as monolithic entities, they are far from it. I'm sure when a foreigner views our Empire, they see it as a unified whole, but they are not privy to the Diet discussions. As there are disagreements among the Duchies that make up the Reich, so it follows that each elector will not move in lock step with his House. Follow the Diet and the discussions among house members and you will see differences in opinion on many issues.

These differences can be used to rally support for a cause or a man.

OOC: By paying attention to the Diet and other threads, you can find like minded individuals and PM them to plot and scheme. It's easier the more time you spend in the game because your character and views become established and there are IC reasons to form alliances for edicts or candidates. Not that the noble House of Bavaria would ever stoop to back room deals .
    Last edited by OverKnight; 03-07-2007 at 10:43.

OOC: Let's welcome our latest Bavarian Elector: Stuperman.

If you have any questions feel free to post them here, for Bavarian concerns, or in the OOC thread.

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

OOC: Thanks for the welcome, I'm proud to be Bavarian, and a little relieved frankly, I remember reading that being at odds with Tincow ended badly for some people in WotS, or something like that.
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

OCC: AFAIK It was only bad if you were a Gaul.

OOC: LOL. In this game you'll only find yourself at odds with me if you're either a Papist or a non-Papist, depending on the day of the week.

Forgive me, Maximillian. If any other man was running against you, you would have my support. But the Kaiser will be my father-in-law. I have acted to ensure that Bavaria will remain the first among equals. Though you may disagree.

To the other electors of Bavaria, I will not tell you how to vote. Examine the issues, listen in the Diet, and vote your conscience. That is all I ask.

*Maximillian laughs heartily.*

And they say *I* have mixed loyalties. Well, perhaps I should get in the practice of bowing to you, Otto, as you will soon be Duke of Bavaria. In any case, congratulations on your marriage. Hopefully Elsebeth will take after her mother and not her father.

Ah, yes. The transition of rule, if it occurs, will be awkward, at least from an administrative perspective. Elsebeth will come of age in 1142, which most likely means your competent reign as Steward, Maximillian, will end that year or in 1144. We will need to post build queues, but which one of us should do it?

Until the official transfer of power, Maximillian is still Steward. If I become Duke, I have several initiatives in mind, but I will wait until I am married before I announce them in the Diet. Presumption can be dangerous.

Otto, given that your engagement has been formally declared, the transition seems to be only a technicality. My duty as Steward is to look after the welfare of Bavaria in the absense of the Duke. As you are already Duke in all but name, I believe I should serve your interests, even if I must formally do so as your Lord.

So, please inform me of what you believe the build queues of Milan and Bologna should be. Unless I am in serious disagreement with them, I shall adopt your views as my own, so that your policies will already be in effect when you become Duke. This will prevent some confusion and paperwork for the next Chancellor. As our private agreement will leave Nuremburg in my power and Innsbruck is already in yours, we should operate as normal for those settlements.
    Last edited by TinCow; 03-09-2007 at 14:57.

With the passage of ammendment 3.1 looking assured, what plans do we have for the Bavarian household army? I assume it will be starting in Innsbruck?

Since it appears likely now that I will be elected Chancellor, I feel I can speak freely on the matter. The Bavarian core cities are safe from all but rebels who block our roads. I will be dealing with them personally and immediately. In the south, the Bavarian cities in Italy are at risk, but nearly all Imperial armies are located there and can defend them. Since Franconia and Austria are vulnerable, they will be receiving the first regiments recruited for the Household Armies. I feel that since I will be able to directly control the Imperial armies, I will be able to maintain Bavarian security until the Bavarian Household Army can be recruited a few years from now. Accordingly, I do not expect the Bavarian Household Army to exist before you become Duke.

As such, I will not bother giving orders to an Army that will likely not exist while I am Steward of Bavaria. You may give whatever orders you wish for the Bavarian Household Army immediately after your wedding and I will ensure that they are followed through. I anticipate that recruiting for the Bavarian force will begin at approximately that time anyway.

On a personal note, I think that when the Household Army is finally ready for action, it should be used to protect our holdings in Italy.

I woudl like to Formally Congradulate Chansellor Maximillian Mandorf of his recent election victory.

with the current state of war, and 2 edicts failing to pass after the majrity voted for them, it would seem he has a mighty task ahead.
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

Electors of Bavaria, I know I am no longer your Steward, but as a true Bavarian I urge you to oppose Duke von Kassel however you can! Look after your families, your lands, and your peoples, but I urge you to deny all aid to the Duke except what is required of you by law. He is damned and all those who follow him will suffer a similar fate! Save yourselves and your loved ones, do not follow this man!

A message:

"Well, I am the Duke of Bavaria. I almost regret my grant of titles to you Maximillian, still those are for past service. I fear those days are over. You have said your peace, but you tread closely to treason. I would not have you poisoning the minds of these young Electors.

Electors of Bavaria, this is not how I wanted to begin my reign. But even a Duke, particularly a new one, has to make compromises. There are much worst ways to accomplish this than by service and loyalty to the Kaiser. Bavaria will benefit from our agreement. Genoa is already ours, and more lands might follow. Once the second Investiture Crisis is over, northern Italy will be relatively peaceful and mostly Bavarian. I ask for your patience and your support. Gerhard, you will be joining me in the field. Let's see if we can't get you knighted.

The floor is open for your comments."

Wait i do not know what u are speaking of. eeek
    Last edited by nazgul3; 03-17-2007 at 02:06.

OOC: You have a lot of catching up to do. For me to try to sum up what has happened would be difficult. Review the unread posts in the threads with the KotR prefix, it's a good read.

ooc: yea i immediatly read everything that just happened.. sorry bout that lol...timezone difference i guess..that and its the eve of st patty's lol. All i can say is holy shit..parden my german. Umm yea i will edit that post.
    in character

Though i have finally been updated on this situation however i cannot say i agree with all points with both of you. Yes it is a goal of ours to take Rome however the timing could not have been worse. I think there should have been an emercency session to debate on this situation. Your actions were rash Duke and this i agree with the Chancellor. With Rome in our possession, financially, we will grow as a nation. However we must now call all men to arms if we are to survive. In order for our great nation to survive, there must be cooperation between all dukes, the kasier, and the chancellor. It is essential that the differences between you two be resolved now! We must attack together because divided we will fall.
    Last edited by nazgul3; 03-17-2007 at 02:35.

You ask us for patience, mien Duke, but when we asked the Kaiser for the same thing he 'manufactured' a war against the Papacy. You ask us to trust you when you keep the movements of OUR army a secret, in fact I didn't find about the war until I was reviewing causality reports. A war that I should say I am ashamed that Bavarian household army started, As Duke your priorities should be to this house, and the riech, not the personal greviences of a Kaiser in his twilight years. None of the electors here care to be lectured by a yes man from the Kaiser.

(OOC: nothing personal, it's all in character :D)

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast