Thread: "Fighting to the death" status?

Default "Fighting to the death" status?

I've been playing M2 for 3 weeks now and I saw this for the first time this morning. A general's guard unit which charged a large enemy formation became unresponsive, not because it was fleeing, but because it had a "fight to the death" status (with a little deathhead icon).

What is this exactly? Do they get some sort of bonus?

Post Re: "Fighting to the death" status?

Hi Omisan,
    The Fighting to the Death status only occurs if a unit has lost all it's morale, is surrounded and has nowhere to escape to. In this case the solders desperately fight their foes to create a free path to escape through and get away from the fray of the battle. Once the way is clear it will run for it's life like an average fleeing unit. However, if no way is clear, then the cowardly unit will be forced to fight down to the last man. Hope this helps you, cheers!
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 03-17-2007 at 16:04.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Default Re: "Fighting to the death" status?

Yep, but this can be really bothersome sometimes since your trying to capture a wall and you caused the defenders to rout when they suddenly starts fighting to the death and kills half of your assaulting force by holding them up for reinforcements
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Sun Tzu says always leave them a way out...

This is why.

But if you are trying to get rid of your enemy's leader (another Sun Tzu dictum, I think, but certainly a Machiavelli one), it is lovely to see him turning red.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

My experience is that I've seen far too much of this, the "Fighting to the Death", even when I leave a (at least I think it's pretty clear and obvious) way out for the broken units. Don't see anything wrong with this concept at all, just think it needs some tweaking.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

What I think is wrong is that so many units are practically in fight to the death mentality anyway. When I'm seeing 75 man units not routing until there's only 4 left, and they aren't being led by an uber general, something's off. Personally I think the thusly enhanced lethality of the new battles is a bit unrealistic, and reducing the game to more of a "choose the right units and slug it out" as opposed to older maneuvering your enemies into routing.
    propa·gandist n.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Fighting to the death units (more so for infantry than cavalry) also fight at lower strength than units that are not broken.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

I've also noticed (and fyi this is just personal experience) that units that are fighting to the death tend to be far less effective than you'd think - I've had units break and do so with dozens of men left and not inflict more than one or two casualties...
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    I've also noticed (and fyi this is just personal experience) that units that are fighting to the death tend to be far less effective than you'd think - I've had units break and do so with dozens of men left and not inflict more than one or two casualties...
    Perhaps reflective of the mentality one has when trapped and forced to fight a hopeless fight trying to escape? Animals fight harder when cornered, but perhaps humans fight weaker because they see how hopeless and futile their situation has become.

See my Sig+ below! (Don't see it? Get info here)

Yeh - That's likely the case

I wasn't saying it was a bad idea, just commenting that fighting to the death does very little except on walls.
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Augustus Sempronius Member StoneCold's Avatar

Shoudn't that be a case for surrendering instead of fighting to the death? I mean you are surrounded, broken as a figthing unit, I thought the men in it will more likely to surrender than to fight to the death?

If you want to look on fighting to the death in a RP sense, consider that the men in the unit are waiting for rescue from their comrades on the battlefield and still retain faith that their side will win (hence will not surrender)

Quote Originally Posted by StoneCold
    Shoudn't that be a case for surrendering instead of fighting to the death? I mean you are surrounded, broken as a figthing unit, I thought the men in it will more likely to surrender than to fight to the death?
    I agree. For the vast majority of units this situation should lead to a total unit surrender. Fighting to the death should only happen to super high morale soldiers; ie, the psychos and zealots. More reasonable units should be throwing down their arms and begging for their lives... which would fun if they animated it. Most would then be captured by enemy moves... though a few would still die (people are pretty worked up and accidents happen). In fact, I think a good consequence of uber morale units should be taking very few prisoners... routers and surrendered units should still be mostly killed by the highest... their just kinda crazy with bloodlust.
    Last edited by JCoyote; 03-18-2007 at 11:25.
    propa·gandist n.

If it were to go that way, I'd say you'd want a sliding scale that peaked in the middle

ie:

low morale unit -> accepts surrenders

middle morale unit, fanatics -> never accepts surrenders

high morale unit, professional soldiers -> accepts surrenders

That really seems more relative to discipline. Discipline should be what keeps them from killing surrendered, not higher morale.
    propa·gandist n.

That's what I was trying to say, yes - but fanatical troops should be a special case; no matter how disciplined if they're fighting people of another religion they shouldn't take prisoners

yuh but you are forgetting that lowly peasants were oftentimes mentally disturbed from being thrashed around so much that when they felt that death was inevitable they went berserk.

a berserk peasant with a pitchfork

Quote Originally Posted by mad cat mech
    a berserk peasant with a pitchfork
    Should still be about as deadly to an armored knight as that one Ewok in Return of the Jedi who's sitting on top of the AT/ST banging away with his stick.

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker
    Should still be about as deadly to an armored knight as that one Ewok in Return of the Jedi who's sitting on top of the AT/ST banging away with his stick.

Luckily the Ewoks in larger numbers are tactical geniuses, and easily capable of complex battlefield tricks and traps. Maybe Peasants are similar, which explains why full units handily dispatch seemingly better troops - CA just chose not to animate the log traps, hang gliders, and primitive catapults that peasants are using in combat.

See my Sig+ below! (Don't see it? Get info here)

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

When in a hopeless siege battle, I love to see my units fight to the death on the walls.

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

Quote Originally Posted by Foz
    Luckily the Ewoks in larger numbers are tactical geniuses, and easily capable of complex battlefield tricks and traps. Maybe Peasants are similar, which explains why full units handily dispatch seemingly better troops - CA just chose not to animate the log traps, hang gliders, and primitive catapults that peasants are using in combat.
    So you're suggesting that I should simply envision the enemy peasants blasting away at my poor DFK's on their speederbikes, hence my unusually high casualty counts when fighting them? Given how many they're usually able to kill, I guess that makes sense...

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

a sharp pitchfork aint somethin i would scoff at if i was at the business end of it no matter how much armor i had. and my horse would not have near as much protection. i figure a pitchfork could own a horse pretty good with a good jab.

the trident is a well respected weapon of war but the pitchfork which has many similiarities is not, i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by vonsch
    Sun Tzu says always leave them a way out...

This is why.

But if you are trying to get rid of your enemy's leader (another Sun Tzu dictum, I think, but certainly a Machiavelli one), it is lovely to see him turning red.
    Hey I am a big fan of Machiavelli and Sun Tzu as well!
    I support Israel

i think a good system would be something similar to sapi's, but rather than your pro soldiers surrendering it should be almost all mercs surrender when completely surrounded and with no hope of rescue as what do they care if you win.

But you would imagine that your pro soldiers would rather fight to the death rather than be taken prisoner or what is the point of paying them so much, or stuff like that can be tied in with whether the general himself would do that such as if he has the brave trait etc., as it could be seen that he is a man worth dieing for. Creating a more dynamic game when the player has to choose whether to take the risk with their generals life to keep the support of their men or have a army that is ready to jump ship when things ain't looking so good
    Peace

What happened to the crazy "Heroic" status that I saw in RTW? Can I somehow manipulate unit stats to create this as a more common occurance? I was thinking back to the naked fanatics going "heroic" where 40 of them would destroy 400 legionaires. I'd love to be able to move that to spartans, and in the context of M2TW some of the more agressive or famous units.

So does it still exist, anyone see it? Anyone have an idea of how we can impliment it on other units? It might solve a few people's views on "Fighting to the death"

id like ta see some of dem dar forlorn hope to go berserk like the berserkers in rome. 8)